1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Does Pakistan team deserve to be supported?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Bart, Feb 24, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    At the risk of being called a fair weather supporter my two cents. I don't mind Pakistan losing, we aren't the greatest team. My issue isn't even the fighting to the death part, well it isn't the top most thing any way.

My main issue is the non professional attitude of Pakistani team. Pakistan has to be the most unfit team in the tournament, worse than even UAE who are actually amateur cricketers with regular day jobs. It just shows the mindset of a person like that fatty Nasir Jamshed, who is supposed to be a sportsman by profession trying to establish himself in the team and make a career / living out of it. To have a bulging belly and can't even bend beyond his knees to take catches one is expected to take at club level. Almost the entire team bar one or two starts panting after taking two or three doubles and need to catch their breath before facing up again and I am pretty sure they lose their concentration and hence their wickets in these instances.

On the other end of spectrum is India. Look at their fitness level and running between the wickets. They have actually won their games, where they probably made half the runs by stealing quick singles and converting singles into doubles and doubles into threes. In the match against Pakistan Kohli had hit a handful of boundaries in his century and both him and Dhawan showed no signs of tiring in either of the games. You don't need batting talent to do that, you can be ordinary but you have to be physically fit. Than there is the catching, again that has nothing to do with talent. You just need to be physically fit. We leak around 30 odd runs a game because of our pathetic fielding. On the other hand India, a nation which shares similar, if not inferior, physiques and diets to us. They choked both South Africa and Pakistan of singles and even got two run outs against South Africa due to that very pressure they have built and won the game.

To top it all of our heroes are feasting on korma, biryani and naans during the tournament as if they are so fit and ripped. It's a farce that these supposed youngsters in their 20s, who are supposed to be professional sportsmen, are so unfit. In fact the two fittest players in the team are aged 38 and 41.

Second, there is the utter lack of application of our batsmen. I can back our team, I love my team but when the team shows no will to apply themselves to the job, it means that these idiots do not deserve to be there. Each team is building innings at the top, setting a base for a later onslought. Half our team in both the matches have gotten out to irresponsible shots early in their innings where the bowlers did nothing special to take their wickets. Almost everyone threw their wickets away. The way Akmal celebrated his 50 against WI, you could see that he is just going to throw it away because according to him the job was done for him to secure a spot for the next game. This mindset irks me, even minnows do not play with this mindset. You are supposed to be playing for your country and team, you have such a lousy attitude that you cannot even put interests of your team and follow a plan that has been set out. Falling due to other teams excellence is one thing but throwing it all away collectively at the first sign of pressure is inexcusable. This lot should be called back.

Vast majority of these players have achieved absolutely nothing in their career so far despite playing for 3 to 4 years. Yet they act as though they are the next generation Inzi and Wassim. You don't need to be as talented as Inzi or Wassim, no one is asking them to be. Least you can do as a professional is to maintain acceptable fitness standards. I still hope for our success but I have absolutely no desire to support this team and waste my time doing that. Team is full of jokers based on supposed promise and talent but with zero performance against their name.

2. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 18, 2012
    In Wasim Akram's words:

"Mera mulq hai, support toh karna pare ga."

3. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Apr 26, 2011
    Yes as Desi_Joker said it is the team of our country we can't help it but to support them. Whatever you said Nauman is 100% right there is no doubt about this but when these "Nalaiks" cross that boundary rope and set foot on the field I can't stop myself for supporting them. I wish someone will come from somewhere and make sure that our Cricketers in future are professional atheletes like the other teams.

4. Mo Iqbal

Mo Iqbal Youngsta Beauty

Dec 27, 2013
    Of course Pakistan needs supporting. Win or Loose deep down i still love supporting Pakistan.

The only thing that keeps hurting for me is the selection of Safaarshi boyz like YK, Jamshed & the Akmal Sisters other than this i wouldn't change this team for anyone else.

5. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    They are poor but When they cross the white rope I back them again.

6. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    With the exception of YK, how can you not support them? What's the alternative?

7. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    I am absolutely not supporting them in this World Cup, in fact our cricket will go backwards if we win.

So if you really support pakistan in the long term you should be rooting for the opposition in every match like I am.

The windies match was extremely satisfying

8. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Do something better with your time? Clearly these guys are not serious about representing their country.

9. Kray_Jackson7

Kray_Jackson7 Youngsta Beauty

Feb 24, 2015
    Yes they do. The structure from the top needs fixing, while some of the players might not be deserving of their positions it is a little hard for them to say no, to international call ups, when this is how they earn their living. But the bulk of the blame lies with management, selectors and the higher ups. But regardless of who steps onto the field i always want team Pakistan to win.

10. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    Isn't this a classic case of, "if you can't handle me at my worst, then you don't deserve my best?"

I understand what you're saying - the immense lack of professionalism in the entire system is quite disturbing, but I'm sure Pakistan cricket has always been this way. They've always had patches of brilliance, and this is just a really, really lean patch. This same team, with a lack of professionalism, will be able to win another WC some day and beat India in India, and beat the world's best team in a tri-series. If we can't stick by them now, when they're truly struggling, there's infighting, no one's getting along, and there's a lack of passion, then why do we deserve to see them when they're on top of the world, laughing and crying together, and diving all over the field to stop runs and take catches? It will only make those times much, much sweeter.

I think about the lack of professionalism in the system, which clearly trickles down to the team. But I haven't been aware of cultural standards for that long, but it seems as if this is the way in Pakistan. The sifarishi, the behgairty, and the ghatiya-pan of some individuals has always existed. Yet, we have found ways to truly be the best team at times. We just beat Australia, a team that's at the height of professionalism 2-0 in a test series. They are Pakistanis, they've always been unprofessional.

There will be better days, and after having seen Pakistan play the last two games, watching them destroy teams on their day will be that much sweeter.

No matter how hard I try, I can't not care about cricket or Team Pakistan and will always be upset if they lose.

11. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    not to mention there have been some tough times. Haven't had a home game in so long

12. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Yes they do. This is our team, if we won't support them who else will?

13. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
  14. Pakistan97

Pakistan97 Tracer Bullet

Sep 7, 2010
  15. shahbaz

shahbaz Banned

Oct 4, 2012
    How much I abuse them or bash them but the thing which melts me is that I am a Pakistani ,I love my country .. i cannot tolerate someone point at my country for being so sluggish in the field ..I dont mind loosing the match but they should fight .. OUr team is capable but some black magic is stopping them from performing .. i wish them best of luck ..please cricket Pakistan think for once that millions are supporting yu back home .

16. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    lol at do they need our support.

we are watching cricket or wasting our time for our own entertainment. they dont give a damn if you follow them or not.. they will still keep on playing.

17. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    What a ridiculous statement. Sports would not exist without a fan base.

18. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011

calm down man. everything against your views is ridiculous. i was talking specifically about this thread and this online support by us. It means absolutely nothing.

19. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    I am calm.

1. You didn't clarify that it was limited to this thread or just our online support
    2. In a larger sense, it does mean something because it implies that the Pakistani team has fans, if a forum for Pakistani fans who support the team doesn't exist, then there clearly isn't a large fan base to begin with, rendering sports irrelevant

20. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011

okay maaf karday.

21. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    I can't tell if you're serious

22. Victorious Pakistan

Victorious Pakistan Smooth Operator

Feb 29, 2012
    Part of supporting a team is criticizing them. This team deserves that a lot for the performances over the years. I totally understand what Nauman is saying. This team is atrocious when it comes to commitment and attitude. The fact that players can smirk when the team is 1-4 and losing to India, your biggest rivals with millions upon millions watching is disgusting.
    Look at the attitude of these guys on the field. They couldn't care less. The fielding and fitness levels are shocking. The team is lazy and poor.
    The past few years in particular have been woeful.

You'd think when you're loosing game after game, series after series, you would want to go and improve your game, or when you get hammered in a major tournament [Champions Trophy] would hide yourself in shame, instead the Pakistani team went on shopping sprees.. Enjoying themselves like never before.
    This tournament they prefer making nicknames for coaches till the point they want to resign mid-tournament, field worser than a bunch of School kids and look like they couldn't care less not to mention other controversies.

Totally agree.

23. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
  24. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    They totally deserve to be supported in this bad time specially./ They have won laurels for us in the past even recent past UAE series where Younus Khan conquered Australia!! So ill give them a warm welcome even if they come back with out winning a single match!!

25. Pakistani_Legend

Pakistani_Legend Talented

Oct 4, 2014
  26. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    No thanks. I will support my country. They should be supported through the good times and the bad. We have done very well over the years. A team with fixers, incompetent management, unfit players. We have overachieved.

27. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Aug 31, 2011
    Well if you look at it from a patriotic point of view then yeah, if you look at it realistically then no, it is a team full of Parchis

The pentagular cup was supposed to be a ticket to the world cup, so why ignore some of the top performers and include bowlers who only took 5 wickets throughout entire tournament using the same ball they use in this word cup, then you ignore Fawad Alam and Mohammad Rizwan a man who had scored 3 hundreds, 1 200 and important 50 in Finals or semi finals of competitions.

These performances you see against India and West Indies are the performances of Parchis, this includes YK who did not deserve to be in the ODI squad as he is a world class Test batsman only

28. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    I agree with Nauman. I want the team to win but I don't support these guys. Losing is one thing. But how do you justify not being god dam fit ? Look at Irfan, I don't mind him not diving but put in some effort. The dude would fake dive with no intention of stopping the ball just so he wont have to chase after it. The fitness, running between wickets, general hustle in the field, commitment to play the 50 overs etc all these small things that make a huge difference are completely missing.

Go and watch Miandad in the 96 WC playing against India. The dude was way past his prime, batting completely out of position, couldn't even get the ball to go past the 30 yard circle but he kept on trying. The commitment to try and win was clearly there even though he didnt have the means or the ability any more. He looked like a complete fool doing what he was trying to do but it did not matter, there was a game to be won and he was going to try whatever he can to win it.

Support is not a given. Do you guys support the Pakistan kabadi team when it plays against someone ? How about the soccer team or the hockey team ? You support this team because you love\like the game of cricket. And get entertained by watching this team compete in cricket. Well if they cant compete then they don't get my support.

29. Choi Saab

Choi Saab Smooth Operator

Oct 4, 2014
    I get what you mean but isn't this more of a;

"Should these certain players be supported?" Question rather than the team.

If we look at this team, there are some guys pulling there weight, it's not as if they aren't. Wahab, Misbah, Sohail did so against India. Wahab (lost it a bit in the end, but tried), Maqsood, UA (batting wise, can't blame his W/K'ing as he is a part time at the end of the day) did so against W.I's.

So we can't generalise them all in one post, you've got to start from the top. Does the PCB deserve support? At the end of the day, isn't it responsible for the team it selects? Isn't it responsible for the players fitness? Considering the amount of camps that have been held and the hype surrounding them via M Akram, fitness levels are shocking!

Isn't the PCB also in charge or domestic cricket? So why such a shitty infrastructure which directly breeds the same players we see representing Pakistan on the field. Isn't PCB responsible in ensuring the management is hard working and commited? Here they're wondering off into casion's whilst the team is getting battered left, right and centre. Isn't it respinsible to ensure non-perfoeming cricketers aren't selected? So why is the whole squad not performing, why is it individuals firing seperatly in each game, why is such inconsistency being selected again and again? Why aren't consistent domestic performers such as Fawad, Sadaf, Hamza (not hyping them up) being selected? Does the PCB not trust it's domestic infrastructure.

So we really blame those 11 players on the field? When they aren't selecting themselves are they. They don't have the PCB at gunpoint. They haven't sent out death threats if they weren't picked.

The point is, though I understand your point, were looking at the wrong people, the issue isn't with the team, it's with the establishment that selects an issue filled team. So can you blame that team? At the end of the day, wouldn't we all jump at an oppportunity to represent our country at the top level? Course we would! We wouldn't drop or remove ourselves, only one in a million people would probably do that.

Focus on the establishment that has bought you to a stage where you contemplate your support for the team.

30. Pakfast

Pakfast Talented

May 8, 2013
    Even if altaf hussain, zardari, and nawaz went onto that field I would support them. I hate them to the core, like I hate misbah, but once they are on that field they have my support. How they perform, well it's up to them if they aren't professional or lazy but they still represent Pakistan. It's like having a child who doesn't listen to you, who disregards your advise but you still love him no matter what, unconditional love. That's what I have for Pakistan, and whoever goes out there bearing that flag they will always have my support.

31. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    I get that people are pissed off because many of these guys are a pathetic bunch of unprofessional losers, but I'm gonna support them anyway.

Many support their teams when they are doing well, but you gotta truly back them up when they're doing badly.

32. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Banned

Feb 5, 2014
    Id support a poor team that had some semblance of professionalism. Then again these village idiots are a product of a flawed structure from the domestic circuit right down to the pcb.

33. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
  34. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    I get what you people are saying and I agree the whole structure is flawed and corrupt. In fact all structures and institutions are corrupt and flawed one way or the other. However, a person who is set out to make a living through a certain career should at least make sure that he is disciplined enough to follow through. You can blame the institutions (PCB and sports structure in Pakistan) for not identifying and nurturing talent but at the end of the day every person should be responsible for himself. Can't a person whose livelihood depends on him succeeding simply make sure that he keeps himself fit. Misbah is a prime example of that, he has very little talent with the bat but the only reason he has been successful at international level is because he maintains professional standards for himself. We can criticize him for batting too slow, lacking cricket sense, not being a good captain but those flaws are reflected in his leadership but as a cricketer he has been successful simply because he has kept himself fit.

35. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    i would support the team until altaf, zardari and nawaz went on to the field cus i really hate these 3!!

36. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    with limited talent they always manage to beat big teams like Aus in UAE, No,. 1 ranked Eng in UAE in 2012, South Africa in South Africa odi series 2013, india in india 2012 dec, south africa in a test in 2013 where khurram manzoor and shan masood dint allow steyn to pick a wkt entire day in a test. shan was making his debut and khurram was new too!!

37. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 18, 2012
    Someone who comes from a semi-educated background and in whom the values of hard work have been instilled will have no problem doing what you have suggested, unfortunately, the problem is, in Pakistan, a lot of these people leave their studies behind to play cricket full time at a young age, thus missing out on vital education, and apart from playing cricket, they don't really have much else to do with their free time (the worries of homeworks, etc doesn't preoccupy them) so they settle into a very relaxed lifestyle.

Couple that with the fact that when they're suddenly thrown into the limelight, the success gets to their head and a lot of the times they're not able to cope with it that well. They would rather enjoy the benefits of everything that comes with the limelight (They simply don't realise that the hard part isn't getting to the top, it's staying there), rather than working as hard (or even harder) than before they were noticed.

There's very few players who have a proper work ethic in the current Pakistani team.

38. ToolKit

ToolKit Youngsta Beauty

May 22, 2014
    apart from yk they all deserve support, the question shouldnt even arise

39. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    They themselves are not serious about representing Pakistan so why do they "deserve" to be supported?

40. ToolKit

ToolKit Youngsta Beauty

May 22, 2014
    first i dont think your statement is true

second because i think bar team man the squad was largely picked on merit and the was the best pakistan hand in the current situation. Its just that this team was selected 6 weeks before the WC when it should have been picked 2 years ago at least