Does The Ashes deserve the hype it gets?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Shaz130, Aug 5, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
    I have been reading in all parts of the internet that some Australian players don’t care for winning the World Cup they care for winning the Ashes. Which is why both teams make sure there best players are available for this rich series. Do you as a cricket lover feel this series deserves the hype it gets?

2. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
  3. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
  4. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    They try to play "proper cricket" at a very high standard in the Ashes which has now become very rare in modern day game of tulla maari.

5. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Yes of course.

Its the one series that has a proper schedule, its prepared towards by either side years in advance. Its the one series which is keeping test cricket going. Fans love it and most of the days are sold out weeks in advance. If you get rid of this then test cricket is as good as buried

6. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    In my opinion, Pakistan and India should also value test cricket and test series than these stupid t20 stuff we get to see in ipl and psl!!

7. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    It does especially in England.

8. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    They would if they had good players and nice pitches to play on.

They both have boring batsmen and boring fast bowlers. The pitches tend to either be roads or favour spin too much. It's just not fun to watch

9. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Dont know about India but Pakistan does have some great test batsmen and bowlers who are proper test cricketers - the likes of Abbas, Yasir Shah, Azhar Ali, Harris Sohail and Asad Shafiq and Babar Azam and Imam and Fakhar and Shadab. All we need is consistent test cricket and scrap this limited overs format. We should stop playing limited overs cricket if we want to play quality cricket!!

10. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Yes they may be decent players but they are not all 'fun' to watch.
    Yasir could be but rest won't pull much crowd in

11. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Crowd does not win u test matches~~ Agar crowd jitata hota test cricket mein to india no. 1 test team hoti!! Pakistan has quality test cricketers! Winning is more important than playing attractive cricket!! Buhat khel li hum ne attractive cricket!! Jab koi acha defensive player aata hai usko hum tuk tuk ka label laga kar bahir kar dete hein aur relukaton ko khilate hein 5 5 10 10 saal!!

12. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
    I don’t think a average Indian or Pakistani has that much interest in Test cricket. Thats why they don’t bother.

13. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    It certainly does!

14. pat

pat Emerging Player

Nov 25, 2018
    Are you kidding me? epic choke job from Straya and Ashes becomes great? If any of the subcontinental teams had done what Straya did, the would have been abused to no end.

15. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Please stop with the victim mindset. Let's be honest. If India was in Australia place they would have been abused no end by Pakistan supporters and if Pakistan was in Australia's place they would have been abused no end by Indian supporters.

But that's been happening for years.

16. pat

pat Emerging Player

Nov 25, 2018
    Thats exactly my point. I can understand if the last wicket partnership was say 20 runs. No. 11 scored 1 run and played all of 17 deliveries.

Straya bottling it does not make Ashes exciting.

17. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Not sure if this thread is even relevant now 3 tests in. One cracker of a series. Can't see any other series nowadays attracting so many fans. Even the non cricket fans come out when ashes is on. Stadiums are full. Greats are playing on both sides. Such class cricket

18. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Stunning battle. One of the major adverts of why Test cricket will always be the best format.

19. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Ashes in Australia is dead. We see good competition in England.

20. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    How so?

21. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    They always smash us. Australia doesn't let anyone win in Australia.

I think 2011 England won 3-1? After that it's been 4-0 and 5-0.

Adelaide Test last time was the best match.

22. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Doesn’t mean it is dead. Aus is just too good at home.

23. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Well it is dead if there is no competition.

24. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016

I do admit before the Ashes started I did think that they have done too many Ashes now, so it feels like its being over burnt. However the type of cricket we saw was amazing. It truly feels like this time around it lived up to the hype. This is the type of cricket Test cricket needs. I think this thread has a future. Only if the quality drops. We need more series like these with other nations in order to save test cricket.

25. pat

pat Emerging Player

Nov 25, 2018
    Guess screwing up in Ashes can be bad for umpires careers. compare this to the reaction when Bucknor was sent home.

Umpire Joel Wilson’s Ashes has ended following an error-laden series culminating with a howler that decided the third Test.
    Wilson won’t be involved in the remaining two Tests, nor will Chris Gaffaney who had seven decisions overturned at Headingley.

He fell one short of the record, eight, which Wilson matched in the opening Test at Edgbaston.

The umpiring appointments for each Test were decided before the series.

Veteran Marais Erasmus and rookie Ruchira Palliyaguruge will be in charge for the fourth Test at Old Trafford, starting Wednesday. The third umpire will be Kumar Dharmasena.

Erasmus will also be in charge for the fifth Test at the Oval, while Dharmasena and Palliyaguruge will swap roles.

Umpiring has been firmly in the spotlight this series following due to an overwhelming amount of on-field decisions being overturned by DRS.

A total of 50 decisions were reviewed over the first three Test and 38 per cent of them were overturned,The Australianreported.

Arguably the biggest howler - certainly the most decisive - was one which never went to review because Australia had ran out.

With England needing two runs to win the third Test but with just one wicket in hand, Nathan Lyon trapped Ben Stokes in front but Wilson shook his head.

Hawkeye showed three red lights, meaning Australia would have won the Test and retained the Ashes had it had a spare review.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...s/news-story/7c7a81cf7295d72b4faecc5bad2dab0a

26. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Good.

Just like players get dropped after bad performances, so should the umpires.

27. pat

pat Emerging Player

Nov 25, 2018
    So why the hoopla when Bucknor was dumped, deservedly?

28. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    There is a reason why it gets the hype.. especially the close ones in England.

This has been the best ashes since 2005.. in fact best test series in a long time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

29. pat

pat Emerging Player

Nov 25, 2018
    Sorry, but Meh. loser of a team scraps out a fluke win in last test and was dad duck from day 3 in this test. This is some how supposed to be thrilling? I can understand if england had been within 50 runs of winning.

30. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Everyone has his own choice. I find it extremely interesting and entertaining and its perfectly fine if you find it boring and meh.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

31. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
    While I enjoyed this series it has had its problems. Both teams displayed the weakest form of batsmenship. The only cricketer that made it interesting was Smith for me. Otherwise if you look at it as a whole batting wise its been horrendous.

Bowling was quiet fun. Mainly from the Australian side. I did enjoy watching Broad. Archer has been slightly overrated.