Ehsan Adil - Bigger Stage, Better Show

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, Nov 18, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    uploadfromtaptalk1353226810255.jpg

Ehsan Adil impressed his team management and fans back home with his bowling – and a big heart – in an impressive under-19 World Cup for Pakistan.

However, it was his transition into first-class cricket immediately afterwards that has been more impressive – seven matches for HBL in his maiden season and he is the joint highest wicket-taker in the President’s Trophy with 47 wickets, including three five-wicket hauls and an average of under 16.

Adil, naturally, did not imagine the transition – and his rise – to be this quick and smooth. But according to the right-arm fast-bowler, the confidence instilled in him by Abdul Raquib – a former selector – and Test discard Imran Farhat has helped calm his nerves – the pair predicted he will end the trophy as the best bowler.

“Apart from the faith in me, it is the amount of responsibility I’ve been given that has allowed me to bloom quickly,” said Adil, who revealed that he nearly joined KRL but a late call-up by HBL was an opportunity he just could not turn down. He was wary of the star-studded line-up HBL had and was not sure if he would get matches regularly, but the assurances were enough for him to put pen on paper.

“The learning curve has been steep but effective. The advice I’ve been receiving from Younus Khan has been very important and he allows me to bowl the way I want to.”

Waqar was his idol

The Gojra-born Adil grew up watching Waqar Younis before he concentrated on Mohammad Asif’s ability to move the ball both ways at will. Restless, Adil is now concentrating on improving his batting too as he wants to help his team out of difficult situations, gradually developing into a bowler who can be trusted with the bat too.
    The steep rise, however, was given birth after just three balls before he was selected for Faisalabad U15.

“I was reluctant but my friend took me to those trials. I never thought I’d be selected so I didn’t want to waste my time at the trials. It seemed as if only those with some sort of backing used to get the selectors’ nod.”

Match-winner at a young age

The lanky pacer has not looked back since. Adil has been a match-winner on big occasions since making it to the national U19 squad.

He helped Pakistan win the away series against South Africa by playing a 22-run cameo in the final and also helped them draw the Asia Cup final against India in the last over.

He almost won them the U19 World Cup quarter-final against India with a 35-run knock, two wickets and that catch at third-man that made people sit up and take notice. The loss, though, still ranks as his worst, but the confidence that more chances will come his way keeps him motivated.

“Losing to India in the quarter-final still hurts and I still have every moment from that game in my head. But now I can see what I did wrong and that’s the important thing.”

Published in The Express Tribune, November 18th, 2012.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/467288/ehsan-adil--bigger-stage-better-show/

2. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    So far Ehsan Adil not only has impressive figures but has shown, especially in the U-19 level, a valuable tendency to thrive under pressure. Once he clubbed 3 sixes in an 11-ball 22 from Number Ten to win a last-over match (and the series) against South Africa; against India in the Asia Cup he bounced back from a drubbing to seal a last-over tie when India were ahead (I believe it was 6-7 runs needed off the final over). Also in the QF defeat to India Ehsan performed superbly with ball, bat and in the field MashaAllah. Overall I think these are great ingredients and cvery much expect and hope to see Ehsan Adil succeeding for the Pakistan side InshaAllah

3. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    How fast does this lad bowl?

4. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    75-85mph

5. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    So he is Asif type of bowler. In my opinion we need an out & out pace bowler who can bowl consistently close to 100 mph.

6. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    As Ehsan Adil goes into his early 20s it should increase. I think even in the early 80s if he can move the ball and get bounce with accuracy that's a lot going Adil's way. Also, he is a very useful lower-order batsman. Certainly brings a lot to the setup and should do well InshaAllah.

I don't know about any 100mph bowlers but from what I've seen/heard our fastest bowlers are Sami, Talha, and Riaz. I rate Rahat Ali quite highly but as far as his pace goes I think it's late eighties

7. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Muhammad Sami!

8. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    lol any team could do with that

9. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    I made a thread on the samething on PP, anyway Ehsan needs to be brought on for SA Test Series rather than Ind seires, a beating on a flat Indian track will end his career

10. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Yes its late eighties but I feel he can improve on it with age. He should not be discarded by the selectors.

Ehsan Adil has definitely impressed one and all and that's clear to see.

11. Boi

Boi Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    I see a lot of similarities between Ehsan Adil and Steven Finn. Both are tall, hit the deck, seam bowlers, impressing at U19 level and then in their first seasons of domestic racked up loads of wickets. What has helped Finn though is the Strength and Conditioning programme that the England setup have got going and that has added that extra yard of pace to his game which has improved his bowling to definite International standard.

Pakistan have barely got A tours going on and that is not helping the bench strength develop, nevermind special programmes for the bowlers. The PCB need to get the likes of Adil, Asad Ali, Talha, Sadaf Hussain, Rahat Ali etc. onto Academy and A team tours to help them develop and allow them to be fast tracked into the side.

12. Prince of Pakistan

Prince of Pakistan Talented

Jun 16, 2012
    Ehsan Adil and Zia ul Haq the bowlers we hope do well to play for the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Yep and late 80s is nothing to sniff at, quite fast. But the post was asking about 100 km/h bowlers, I don't think Rahat can get that fast but then again he probably doesn't need to. 90 is plenty quick

14. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Not gonna happen. Sami, Wahab, and Talha are the fastest recognized bowlers in the country right now. All 3 of them can bowl it above 145. But they are all really erratic.

Ehsan Adil is in the Asif mould. he has excellent control and gets the ball to move off the pitch, not swing in the air. He can bowl cutters that also prove to be effective. Asad Ali is in the same mould. Both can be useful bowler in Test cricket on helpful tracks. But they are not the answer in ODIs against teams like India on flat tracks.

Zia has shown the potential to be a 145+ bowler but he's far away from selection. He;s not even getting an opportunity at the FC level as he's very raw.

People that have high hopes for Rahat Ali, Sadaf Hussein, etc are all gonna be disappointed because I think they are all in the same mould. 130 kph bowlers who trouble domestic cricketers with limited movement off the pitch.

15. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    1137moiz I don't think Rahat is in the late 80s. From what I've heard about him, he's another 135kph type of bowler.

16. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    I haven't seen much of Rahat so I'll take your word for it. I'd heard he was one of the faster bowlers in the country but maybe that was wrong

17. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    I think Mercenary mentioned earlier that Rahat had been clocked at 143kph. But I've read other reports that he's consistently around 135kph and gets the effort ball to 140+.

18. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    the effort ball at 143kph is not good enough, lets hope he moves the ball and puts on pace.. theres definitely something we are not doing right with improving fast bowlers pace

Ehsan looks a good prospect, i see him competing with hammad in the long term as they both offer differing skills but will be essentially all rounders - unless Adil really is good enough to be a front line seamer. I just get the impression he will end up as an all rounder, and will contribute ocassionally with the bat whereas hammad will contribute ocassionally with the ball - on the balance of their weaker skills, Adil might take it given hes had a few decent knocks.

So far though, his stats with the ball speak for themselves!

19. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Just a gut feeling but I think Ali Shamsher Khan has moved ahead of Hammad in the pecking order based on recent performances. But I agree with your point--Hammad a batting allrounder who can get in with bat and adds value with ball, Adil vice versa.

I also think Adil will end up as a bowling allrounder InshaAllah but still a way to go.

20. Cover Drive

Cover Drive Talented

Apr 13, 2012
    Ehsan Adil should merely focus on his bowling although batting could be bonus. When bowlers work too hard on there batting, there bowling is diminished radically, you can take Irfan Pathan, Anwar Ali as examples.

So his first priority should be focusing on his bowling and taking maximum number of wickets there.

Mohammad Asif was/is a recherché bowler, there have been very few bowlers in cricket who possessed the abilities Mohammad Asif had endowed.

Ehsan Adil needs to be looked after, he needs to spend more time at National Cricket Academy with fitness trainers who are always more than willing to help, he needs to work on his core and lower back in order to impede himself from being injured especially how back for young bowlers is extremely vulnerable. When Mohammad Amir was sent back home after back injury during U19 Tour of England, he had spent nine months at National Cricket Academy where he was transmuted into a finer specimen.

Pakistan is abundantly blessed with young bowlers when it comes to adroitness, but they are burned out due to inordinateness when it comes to bowling. Have a look at South Africa and see how they handle Dale Steyn, how they prevent him from burning out, how they prevent him from being injured and so on.

Shoaib Akhtar had spent years in explaining the country how he was overused, which definitely hindered his voyage to worlds greatest fast bowlers.

21. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    I agree about Anwar, I don't think Pathan applies. He was alwaysa talented batsman, the only problem was they tried to mould him into Shane Watson's current role by batting him at No 3. At No 7-8 he was always gonna be a top allrounder, not a bowling allrounder but a genuine Type 3 allrounder

22. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Whatever may be the pace of Ehsan, I'll prefer that he is not brought into the team under the leadership of Misbah or Hafeez. They will ruin him forever.

23. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    thread deserves a bump, adil looked quicker and fitter today. gets nice and close to the stumps and bowls with a bit of movement, not a bad return to the national team.

also seems to be be collapsing less in the delivery stride which may be why hes bowling quicker, if he could straighten out his front leg could easily bowl mid 80s consistently, and with his height and bounce could be a very useful bowler.

24. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Cornered Tiger

Oct 5, 2014
    I heard he bowled extremely well today and was pick of the bowlers. Didnt watch the day but according to cricinfo this guy was swinging the ball. Deserved more wickets it seemed and nearly had latham if it wasnt for the dropped catch. Pace was up as well it seems. :D :D

I always rated him and i am glad to see him improving and becoming better. hopefully he proves his mettle in the coming tests and in this one.

25. Choi Saab

Choi Saab Smooth Operator

Oct 4, 2014
    One very very close appeal went against him (that damned "umpires call" :fp). Had a catch dropped as well and got some created more chances which didn't carry.

Bowled well in his first 2 spells, was bowling at 135 - 138 maintained a tight wicket to wicket attack and swung the ball as much as possible in these conditions.

Though he got the ball to reverse he was quite wayward and dropped pace to 130 (ish) even fell into the high 120's at times.

So an indifferent day for him but plenty of positives and was defo the pick of the bowlers.

Needs to maintain that initial control for a longer period of time and he'll be much more dangerous!

His pace from the SA till now had considerable improvements, was sharp and dropped later in the day - but 2nd test and a hard in the field, I'll excuse him this early.

But I'm proud that I backed Ehsan, good prospect, needs a few tweaks which will come with experience.

26. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Cornered Tiger

Oct 5, 2014
    Yeah i heard about the appeal. Yes it seems he bowled well. TBH i always expected his pace to drop to late 120 since he is not a pacer and even if he bowled at 135 to 140 it was always going to drop down at later stages of tests. It seems he got the new ball to swing ( cant expect booming indippers on such pitches so a good amount of new ball swing) which is very refreshing to hear.

27. Choi Saab

Choi Saab Smooth Operator

Oct 4, 2014
    That appeal was harsh to be honest. Just too close imo but umpires call is umpires call.

He looked much fitter compared to when he visited SA - he needs to sort his front leg and head position out (also with a strong lifestyle) can maintain a 135+ spell throughout.

Unless you're Steyn - even he struggled until that second test :p.

Conventional swing and reverse swing - has both in his armoury - more time on these pitches and he'll have it swinging more consistently and stronger.

28. Inner_Swing

Inner_Swing Banned

Oct 28, 2014
    I watched an over or two of Ehsan Adil and he is a very talented bowler, seems to have improved his pace and accuracy from domestic games. If he can bowl well consistently, he can be considered a key to Pakistan's bowling attack.

29. Savak

Savak Emerging Player

Feb 26, 2013
    Very impressive stuff

30. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Had two catches dropped off his bowling too.

31. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    Wonderful bowler, swung it both ways on a phatta, shows he has great potential.