1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

England's exit from the World Cup could be benefical to Pakistan

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by ComradeVenom, Mar 13, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Looking at the analysis of their exit on Sky and the momentum is gathering for an Franchise T20 league. These guys are deadly serious about a top class tournament.

India wont send players abroad for a league and England is usually quite hospitable for Pakistani overseas players so this provides our players an opportunity to play quality cricket.

I'd get the PCB to make contact with the ECB now!

2. Kashif

Kashif Pehlwaan

Dec 27, 2009
    Whenever this materialises, I want to see the PCB add this tournament as a priority in their calender and encourage/back the participation of Pakistani players (International and domestic). Money to be made, skills to be picked up and training ground for the players.

3. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015
    It would be great experience.

England has some of the most challenging wickets, great to practice on compared to the flat roads in India.

4. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    Good post DV. PCB really need to grab this opportunity and not f this up like Ijaz butt did in 2010.

5. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    You only need to read the English broadsheet print media to see that they have a fascination with Pakistani players (generally of the past). They seem to laud and praise whatever we produce, whether its the talents of the past who could win a match single handedly or the stoic consummate professionalism of Misbah. I think its a lot to do with how Pakistan manages to succeed in the absence of a plan, until recently we had a team of talented guys who would just play whereas England are quite regimented and overly disciplined.

Junaid Khan, Wahab Riaz and Afridi are the current players who I think would be a shoe in for a domestic T20 league ( Afridi could get a game anywhere in the world, Junaid and Wahab impressed before in the FLT20) and guys like Irfan, Yasir, Akmal Jr and Hafeez would get picked too imo. A lot of these guys are probably past it by international standards but having Pakistani players such as these in an overseas league would mean that English scouts/coaches could cast their eyes over youngsters doing well in Pakistan against these players to pick up a bargain.

From a marketing POV with the absence of India, Pakistanis are probably the most passionate and full of fervour fans in the expat community.

One thing that could hinder us is the controversy of match fixing given that 4 of our players have fixed on English soil but its a minor issue. The English also have a bit of messiah complex so I don't think its inconceivable to see the young brown village boy who was forced to fix by a crooked captain gain redemption through the English Premier league. These guys like patting themselves on the back and bringing in someone like Amir would get the media in a frenzy and allow them to take the moral high ground as righteous defenders of the game.

Finally I know for certain that seeing the Indians make money and dominate cricket is a real pain in the side for the suit and top hat wearing men in lords and the MCC so if this goes to plan it will be the premier league of all premier leagues.

Perhaps I am getting overly excited but the prospect of Pakistani players playing in a top class league AND India getting taken down a peg or two is an exhilarating one.

6. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015

Very true.

Proven by the fact SKY commissioned an interview with Mohammed Amir after the trial etc. No doubt ECB are looking to sign him up to a county.

7. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Very well said.

Would be great for Pakistan. I just wonder if Shehryar Khan is intelligent enough to make moves on this.

8. London_Lahori

London_Lahori Tracer Bullet

Feb 18, 2014
    Would be fantastic, a chance to see our boys play regularly on a yearly basis would be great.

Hopefully Essex would sign a few :lol

9. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015
    Colonial thinking here.

ECB will use PCB to scar BCCI.

You get what I am eluding to?

10. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    England could scar BCCI without Pakistan tbh. We would be riding on their coat tails. Nothing more than that but despite being beggars we at least be clever ones instead of running behind the BCCI with a begging bowl.

Say theoretically the EPL is a roaring success with the best of international talent. How can the BCCI increase interest in the next IPL....maybe invite Pakistani players?

If we play it well we will get a few crumbs off a table but lets not get carried away and think that we deserve a seat.

11. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015
    When English grounds are packed with Pakistani supporters, it will be the BCCI with the begging bowl.

Outside of Pakistan, the biggest fan-base is in England. ECB and PCB would absolutely rinse it.

12. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    I hope so! I really do!

13. Questioner

Questioner Talented

Jul 1, 2013
    Too many assumptions, but it would be good as their should be a competing league and it would be good experience for players and fans who can watch players without the criticism which is attached towards them when playing for the national team.

14. PakistanZindabad!

PakistanZindabad! Cornered Tiger

Sep 29, 2012
    Lmao Shezza would end up with a spray tan and side swept hair

15. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    England is like Pakistan's second home. It would be a huge success.

16. Kashif

Kashif Pehlwaan

Dec 27, 2009
    Big Pakistani fan base in the UK. A city based franchise system will be interesting. London, Manchester, Birmingham, etc.

17. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Lol yea especially up north! Some crazy fans. Unforgettable scenes from 2009 wc!

18. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    You call it assumptions...I call it visionary thinking :p

19. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Doubt it.

If Shezza joined an Essex based side they would all copy him and not the other way around.

Essex would be full of Kohli lookalikes