Facebook banned in Pakistan

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Bart, May 19, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Over that cartoon competition facebook was holding.

Thoughts?

2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Typical knee jerk reaction. Why dont they ban the internet because there's a lot worse things about the Prophet and Islam all over the internet.

Idiots like the ones behind this competition to draw the Prophet rely on exactly this reaction to make it worth their while. Does anyone really think they would be doing this if they didn't expect Muslims around the world to go crazy over it?

Here's a thought for these Cyber Jihadis, it's your reactions which cause idiots like the ones in this case to think up new and more degrading ways to abuse the Prophet and Islam.

You're the cause of this, no-one else.

3. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Guys be realistic, ofcourse in an ideal world one would ignore these thing but, we dont live in an ideal world, im afraid. So whats the fuss if the website is banned for a day or two, just to register a protest being an Islamic nation. Majority, we all know, supports the court ruling.

4. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    The problem is that now some other idiots out there will be thinking, I need to come up with something even more degrading next time.

Something that will get me all over the news. So that I can shut down a whole country's access to a website or get a whole nations products boycotted. Then I'll be all over the news, invited to talk on chat shows, and be interviewed in newspapers.

We are creating these people, it's Muslims who are giving them a reason to exist. We give them the oxygen that keeps them alive and helps them grow ever bigger and stronger. We are adding fuel to the fire.

Next time when someone makes a facebook page encouraging people to use the Quran (astagfirullah) to wipe their backside, will we be happy then?

Oh wait somebody ALREADY did that!! The link is below...

I Wipe My *** With The Quran | Facebook

When will these simpletons get it into their head that by rioting in the streets and shutting down Muslim cities and damaging Muslim businesses and Muslim homes they aren't hurting anyone but Muslims.

They are only encouraging more publicity hungry people to do even worse things to get the same level of attention.

The same people who harp on about following the Hadith to the letter of the law, the same people who must have a beard, thawb and who want to wipe their behinds exactly the same way the Prophet did.

These same people dont want to follow his example where he ignored the woman who would repeatedly throw filth onto him as he passed her house. As far as I'm concerned it's these cyber jihadi protestors who are to blame for these increasing and escalating 'desecration' events against our Prophet and Islam.

5. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    Beautiful point!

6. Gulli-boy

Gulli-boy Youngsta Beauty

May 14, 2010
    Totally agree its a simple ploy in getting a reaction out of us, your going to have world wide news coverage of how muslims are intolerant people, burning effigies and flags, showing hatred saying death to this and that. But in actual fact how does this actually resolve the issue. Muslims should focus on other key issues like counteracting the ban of hijabs and niqaabs in secular estate where muslims women are forced to lose their religious identity.

7. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    The Niqab is a cultural rather than religious identity but agreed on the Khimr (head covering).

On a personal note I think we should concentrate on education and commerce like the Prophet did. That's another of his 'unfashionable' Hadith as it requires people to actually think rather than just ape like monkeys!

Our first priority should be to lift the Muslim world up and above the rest of the world. Here we are wallowing in the 3rd and 4th world but no-one takes to the streets about that.

There's corruption and injustice at all levels in Pakistan but people are taking to the street over a few drawings. Every day Islam and Allah (swt) are disgraced by abuses in their name but no-one takes to the streets to protest that!

When we the average people on the street have our priorities so badly screwed up then what can we expect of our leaders and guardians?

In fact the mullahs and politicians benefit from scandals like this one about the cartoons because it deflects the publics attention away from the real problems facing our society!!

8. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar Emerging Player

Mar 18, 2010
    retarded as usual. LHC is seriously out of control.

9. Icon

Icon Youngsta Beauty

Mar 12, 2010
    Nothing could be more insulting to Prophet Muhammad than the muslims themselves and for Pakistanis it seems that finding new lows has become national pass time. It's not about Facebook but rather giving attention to people who are so desperately looking for it.

10. Joseph K.

Joseph K. Youngsta Beauty

Jan 24, 2010
    The kind of 'respect' that Muslims have for their prophet (SAW) amounts to nothing, I repeat, NOTHING more than hypocrisy and means to control people's minds. I am sick and tired of this so-called respect. By our actions we prove on daily basis that we are the followers of Iblees pure and simple and we want the whole world to respect our prophet whose personality and message is used by us only to maintain our grip on power and people's minds. How f****ed up is that!

11. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    So many replies and not one word of condemnation for those who deliberately inflame the feelings of Muslims. Amazing. All i could see is blasting Muslims off. I wonder what would happen if i start a contest on Holocaust Cartoons. The moment i post some Nazi stuff, the page would be taken away from Facebook or for that matter any website, and i might find myself landed in Guantanamo Bay.

Why because it might offend a few million Jews. And nobody cares about a billion plus people getting hurt, offended. For some banning Facebook is an offensive act, whereas they have nothing to offer in terms of condemnation for the despicable and morally reprehensible act that is now the new norm amongst the west.

Yes it can be said that our acts, our drifting away from the teachings of the greatest personality is one of the reasons why our Prophet is being specifically targeted. However one look at the history and we'll know that this trend isn't new. This has been going on for ages, people have written blasphemous books on the Prophet (SAW).

However plain Hatred being propagated by the Western Media, different religious and governmental organizations is one of the Major reasons why this is happening with such dedicated zeal and enthusiasm. Despite the state the Muslims are, Islam is still growing. The frustration of the Militant brigade is showing.

While i do not in any form support a backlash which could result in Human loss, i do support stringent measures to hit them economically. If only all the Muslim countries could have the guts to ban such websites totally and hit them where it really matters i.e Economics.

12. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    @Zeenix

I understand your point, and we need to condemn such acts with manners! What we do is kill (ourselves), damage our own property and reputation by acting like wild hordes. Where is the discipline Islam teaches us? In other words I agree to a wide extent with Mercenary that we also need to get our own acts together. We are poor, uneducated, corrupt, full of nepotism and weak and thus cheap prey for anti-Islamic forces. It's not about cheap publicity either (anti-islam forces) it's also about a wider agenda to put Muslims and Islam in a bad light in order to justify hostile acts to put sense (read "democracy") in our minds or force us to follow a certain agenda (so they can easily rob our resources". The common westerner is controlled by such tactics and the job is easy done when we act like wild hordes without manners/planning. Another important factor to achieve that goal (degrading Islam and Muslims) they install the likes of zardaris, Musharrafs and Lahori Butts on our heads. They ensure we don't develop sufficiently to get independent and to do that they need these henchmen/Trojan Horses (Musharraf, Butt and Zardari). Simply put: We need to educate ourselves before we can educate others.

btw: Nothing will change as long as we go after form rather than substance in Islam (generally speaking)!

13. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Knee Jerk reaction!!! You call it knee jerk reaction. Facebook insults the single most important person in the life of over a billion followers and we ban the site, and that's a knee jerk reaction. And this one's a masterpiece. People are drawing those sketches because we ban such websites. I can see plenty of comments against this banning from western and westernized folks. However nobody comes up and say, this competition is a sham. It is MEANT to hurt the feelings of people revering the personality which form a sizable chunk of the world's population. How about i start a drawing competition on the Holocaust, mocking the victims. Not many people would shrug their shoulders and say, its Freedom of expression.

Hell Yes, we did ban the website, and yes indeed its Good. At least it evoked a response from Facebook. Now if only other Muslim countries could follow suit.

Just because a group of people calling themselves Muslim blow up people around the world for their own vile agenda, doesn't mean we should be on the defensive everywhere.

The only thing which is shameful is that while there are so many Muslim countries only four have blocked facebook. We can't even give a unified and (if i may say so with the risk of being called Militant by Enlightened Moderates like yourself) dignified response by blocking such websites in all Muslim countries.,

14. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    I think, that is obvious and the reason it was not said that it is obvious! Only a insane Muslim would not condemn this.

15. Gulli-boy

May 14, 2010
    With regards to the Niqaab this can be regarded as a debatable issue since the khimr itself can be percieved to be cultural too, because im sure well before Islam came headcovering was a part of the arab culture. It all depends on your interpretation of the Qur'an and Sunnah, but thats another topic.

Getting back to this, I agree education is important, but what is more important is to realise that previous scholars in Islam used to be brilliant scholars in Islam and simulataneously they were brilliant thinkers, scientists, mathematicians etc and contributed positively towards society. Right now what we are lacking are these type of role models. If someone is specifically studying Islamic studies, MashaAllah its good but simulatenously one should excel in their own field to be able to positively contribute back to society. There should be that fine balance because common people look up to such people as role models.

Secondly, another aspect which is that there is hardly any concrete practical steps that us muslims can take to further strengthen our community because lets face it in this world muslims are weak. Some non-muslims will take advantage and use our weakness to mock our beloved prophet. Until us muslims have sorted ourselves out, we will never be able to command respect from others.

Bit similar if you studied or read the seerah of the prophet, initially the Prophet PBUH was mocked by the Qur'aish, probably in context as bad as what is happening currently in our times, but he remained patient during the Makkan Period, after establishing Islam in Medina, look how Islam became so strong that those who cursed the prophet pbuh would be so afraid of the reprecussions of their actions.

16. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    Merc et al, if we sit back and ignore these actions we are just as much encouraging these acts simply because joe public will see that no muslims mind being insulted and it will become norm. for example, 10-15 years ago saying stuff about Jesus and mocking him in the UK and all over the world was heavily criticised but now it has become a norm and people dont seem to mind and take it in their stride and it now has become second nature.

17. d0gers

d0gers Youngsta Beauty

Mar 22, 2010
    Zeenix actually from what I can tell the reason this thing was started is because Muslims were threatening physical harm against people who draw these sketches. Just a couple of weeks ago someone carried out an arson attack on a cartoonist's house in Sweden. So the point isn't to offend Muslims, rather to say that you cannot stop somebody from doing or saying something by the threat of violence. The more these kinds of threats are made the more people will draw these cartoons.

As for the ban, it is very, very unfortunate because it is bringing publicity to something which shouldn't get any. However, at the same time we have to realize how crazy people in Pakistan can get. People were killed in the riots following the Danish cartoons, and this despite the fact that nobody in Pakistan can even get that Danish newspaper. Imagine the reaction when people see these images on easily accessible websites. This ban is by no means a perfect solution, the proper way is to educate people and letting them know that the threat of violence is not the answer and certainly not the Islamic way. I would liken this to closing a major highway when something goes wrong. You inconvenience and frustrate a lot of people but if it means that people don't die because of a stupid little thing then that's hard to argue against.

18. Gulli-boy

May 14, 2010
  19. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    When you attack black people, it's called racism. When you attack Jewish people, it's called anti-semitism. When you attack women, it's called sexism. When you attack homosexuality, it's called intolerance. When you attack your country, it's called treason. But when you attack the Prophet of Islam (PBUH), they call it freedom of speech.

Speak up for all intolerance.

20. Joseph K.

Jan 24, 2010
    Now that's a shame, isn't it. We lose a reason to show our victim-mentality, but we will go on. Facebook page didn't exist for long but we will keep on shouting 'death to America' till dust fills our beards and chokes out gullets. Yes point finger at anybody and everybody as long as it is not pointed at the real oppressors in our society. Incidentally Youtube and Twitter are also blocked in Pakistan. Why don't they ban the whole internet, better still, why don't they ban electricity to keep these computers switched off?

21. Yaser

Yaser Youngsta Beauty

Apr 8, 2010
    Cue the launch of ChehraKitaab!

I though there's a load-shedding pandemic there anyway ? ;-), that's discounting the short-circuits in our batsmen.

22. Inferno

Inferno Youngsta Beauty

Mar 19, 2010
    The posts above are ridiculous. Somebody who mocks the prophet and posts disgusting images and people here are blaming the pakistanis for banning facebook?

Pakistanis are msotly muslims, christians and hindus there i doubt would be surfing the net, stop kissing up to the goreh

23. Yaser

Yaser Youngsta Beauty

Apr 8, 2010
    er ?. As has been pointed out on numerous occasions, Facebook deleted the page, but being the viral media that it is, gained notoriety fairly quickly.

I'm no fan of Facebook or any other social networking site, but by banning Youtube for example - a Google subsidiary - why not just boycott Google aswell ?, Yahoo is just as good, without the hype.

Finally, most of these companies are probably pro-zionist anyway, like many of the worlds major corporations - Motorola and Intel for example, are both israeli, founders of the cellphone and computer chip respectively.

I'm a big fan of Muslims creating inroads in media and technology, and like the concept of Millatfacebook, but it lacks originality and is seemilngly Muslim-centric.

There's already a Muslim Youtube rival - Muxlim - and despite the seemingly obvious - though original - name, its a very well though out and intuitive project, that caters to all.

24. Joseph K.

Jan 24, 2010

Oh yes, let's partition the virtual world as well. Way to go! Let's keep on building our own 1 1/2 brick mosque everywhere.

Pakistan banned these sites because they provoke discussion. Discussion and ideas are dangerous things for our current ruling classes. They must be stopped and blocked by any means possible and using any excuse. Removal of the Facebook page (by Facebook itself) is not enough, Facebook must be blocked along with other sites that bring people together and generate discussion.

Since this stupid uproar began, I have started visiting my Facebook page, something I had stopped doing months ago.

25. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
  26. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    I suppose if someone started a page where they drew offensive pictures of your daughter/mother/sister/father instead of complaining or asking for the page to be removed you would start a discussion? :rolleyes:

27. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    i heard that they even banned google:)). I dont know if its true, the actual porblem is that these judges who are banning the internet dont realy know the real usage of it. They think internet is just a game. These guys just come out of a village and never ever used these things the only technologic thing they know about is just the cell phone.

And then yeah i know this is very bad, that they are manking fun of the prophet, but y r they doing this cause we muslim get too much iritated, if we stop caring about what these guys do then they will stop by them selfs.
    The more we care the more they do it.
    it will be better if just let them make fun of it because on the day of judgement they will be in a place where they belong:)) .

28. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    and 1 more thign these guys will keep banning these kind of things but they dont ban those X Rated sites.

29. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    Are you being serious?!
    If a thief steals and you ignore it he will continue until he is caught. Same principle applies to most things.

Christians have done the same thing, it wasn't long ago when if you made a remark about Jesus the whole of the christian faith would complain. Now as they have just ignored what people say and don't mind, on British TV you will see comedians and all sorts of people making jokes about Christianity and Jesus and it has become a norm.

30. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    They are not stealing anything from s
    This is something else. They do all this shit jsut to annoy us , if we dont kare and jsut ignore this then they wiill stop by them selfs. And let them do this.
    Why do u think the day of judgement was made so taht ppl who r doing these kind of thinks can be punished:mad:

31. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    Like it says in the Quran, Allah does not help those who do not help themselves. We should at least protest or boycott these people.