Fakhar Zaman; ray of hope!

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Alchemy, Jun 12, 2017.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Red Devil

Red Devil Whispering Death

Dec 15, 2013
    Yeah, especially in the first match. He was clearly struggling to handle Wood's pace and was eventually dismissed by a bouncer which hurried onto him. He got an absolutely unplayable delivery in the second game though so let's ignore that.

He was dismissed by pace bowlers in all 5 games in that series where he averaged 20, mA! Those are the kind of stats jobbers like Viv could only dream of achieving.

It's just recency bias on display here. He had a good series against Australia.

2. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    He has been around for a while now and performing since ages so its sad to only see him make his debut now

3. axl100mph

axl100mph Emerging Player

Nov 23, 2016
    @Alchemy what are you doing making a thread on fakhar?
    Has Shezzi gone off to sleep already?
    There has not been a batsmen ever who is not susceptible to failure against good bowling. Viv used to struggle against dk lillee, wasim, hadlee and the like too. Does that make him a poor player against pace?

Sharjeel had a couple of false shots against wood and was once bowled over by a jaffer. But by and large he looked extremely comfortable against him, so much so that he completely obliterated him in Nottingham and that is where Wood bowled the fastest spell of his career.

4. axl100mph

Nov 23, 2016
    Lol, so you think viv never struggled against good bowling?
    He played pace with authority but it wasnt as if he never went missing against it.
    Sharjeel was on an upward curve. He showed glimpses in the England series and was close to being the finished product in the Australia series. The key to playing pace is picking length up quickly, and in that skill Sharjeel has always shown ATG skill.
    Just take a look at the guys he has completely smashed:
    Adam milne, coulternile (bowling around 150), wood, starc, hazlewood, gabriel.

Aside from hazlewood, all of these guys are currently the quickest bowlers in the world and Sharjeel has slaughtered all of them.

5. axl100mph

Nov 23, 2016
    Being a contextual Akmal supporter is better than someone who collects Shafiq's used garments :rolleyes:

6. Red Devil

Red Devil Whispering Death

Dec 15, 2013
    I agree with you that he's a quality player of pace, there's no denying that. I mentioned that in my first post. In fact, I was one of the biggest Sharjeel supporters when most people used to call him a legside hack and whatnot.

But comparing him with Viv who used to dominate express pace bowlers without helmets and with a tinyass bat (compared to what most players use today) is bit OTT. All things considered, Viv would have murdered everyone if he played in this era of flat tracks and big bats.

7. axl100mph

Nov 23, 2016
    @Rhythm what do you make of my comparison? is it really unjustified?

8. Karachi-King

Karachi-King Talented

Jun 4, 2011
    That idea only ever came to you to be honest so I'd wager you're the one who engages in that lol

9. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
    Those who compare Sharjeel to Vivan Richards are simply silly. They need to get there head checked by the doctor pronto.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Pessimistic Pessimistic x 1
    • List
  10. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    Someone can go to any limits to back his favorites :D

11. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    You don't need approval from these chumps lol. They don't know what pace is.

12. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    he does have a flair, lets see how long he goes. good luck to him.

13. uberkoen

uberkoen Youngsta Beauty

Feb 14, 2016
    He's going to be tested against England. They're going to ball short at him. Let's see if he has the composure to stay at the crease and not play mindless shots.

14. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    true but honestly, looking at the quality of our batsmen recently, it is a relief to see someone who can play some shots and time the ball properly. He may struggle against any good bowler but atleast he has the ability to play his shots against lesser better bowlers!

15. uberkoen

uberkoen Youngsta Beauty

Feb 14, 2016
    No doubt. Fingers cross he takes the England bowlers to the cleaners!

16. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    Great job axl, you just lowered the whole IQ of this thread by asking the biggest fraud poster of all time. The supporter of Wahab Trash Riaz and Rahat Unlcuky Ali. His favorite bowlers should give anyone a good idea about his quality opinions regarding pace which are nothing but hot garbage. Chumps, my ass.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Gotta respect the grind even if he's flawed.

18. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    I am generally a believer in the adage 'you make your own luck' and said so to a friend when Fakhar was landing a few lusty blows in the PSL but I feel he has looked extremely susceptible in both matches.

Indeed he has scored runs but there is an alarming weakness against the short ball and he has looked very scratchy at times. Getting runs at a decent click is a parameter to consider when rating players but so too is looking convincing, and I feel he has been lacking in that regard. When driving, his feet seem to be stuck in concrete blocks which is a slight worry since England generally know how to swing it in their own conditions.

19. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    No.

Reminds me of Razzaq with his style.

20. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    Subhanallah

21. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    What I like about him is that he seems unfazed & calm at the crease. Saw the same traits in Faheem too.

22. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    Yup. Noticed that as well. Seems to have nerves of steel. Rare for a pakistani player nowadays.
    Another 50 for him today. His first international matches in a knock out ICC tournament on England pitches. Absolutely brilliant stuff from him.

23. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Ex-soldier.

24. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    Reminds me of Razzaq.... a lot.

25. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    Fakhar has two glaring weaknesses in his game.

1) He is uncomfortable against the short ball.
    2) He cannot handle change in pace quite well. Struggles against it.

These weaknesses are not enough to dismiss him as a poor batsman because there are more positives about him than negatives. However, if he covers up on these weak points, he can be a better batsman for sure.

26. uberkoen

uberkoen Youngsta Beauty

Feb 14, 2016
    Big test for the young lad on Sunday. Hope he delivers!

27. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Zaman’s new batting approach wins applause

Lahore opener misses century but is lauded by Quetta captain Sarfraz and coach Moin

Sharjah: Quetta Gladiators’ crashed to Lahore Qalandars’ opener Fakhar Zaman’s aggressive 94 off 50 balls studded with six sixers and nine fours. This knock gave Lahore a total of 186 for four and helped restrict Quetta to 169 for six in 20 overs and win by 17 runs. After the match Zaman received huge praise from everyone, including the losing team’s skipper Sarfraz Ahmad and coach Moin Khan.

Fakhar, who was the hero of Pakistan’s Champions Trophy triumph, said that his new approach to his batting has helped him. “My thinking now is take time and pace my innings. I’ve given myself more time these days and then I play my game. Been trying for a while to play a long innings. Luck was on my side today and I used my start. I enjoyed my batting.”

Fakhar’s enjoyment upset Quetta’s plan of clinching the top slot in the ranking table. Quetta captain Sarfraz candidly remarked: “We had a discussion with the team management that we need to win today, but Fakhar played a brilliant innings. We have to credit Fakhar’s innings, it was clean striking. We have one more match left and we can still finish in the top two.”

Moin felt that Lahore’s total was gettable. “Fakhar played very well. He had good partnerships too. Our fielding wasn’t up to date. We had proved our batting strength before, but it did not click today.”

Zaman also felt his team should have won the earlier round matches too. “In the first phase our (team) combinations were not working, we were chopping and changing a lot,” he said

http://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/p...-new-batting-approach-wins-applause-1.2188679

28. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    If we take a look at our top 6, which include Fakhar, Ahmed/Azhar, Babar, Hackfeez, Malik and Sarfu none of these play modern cricket. Apart from Fakhar, Sarfu and maybe Babar, rest usually even struggle to rotate strike as well. You block their go-to shorts and cut their singles and they will look like deer caught in headlights. Nope possess pressure release shots.

Keeping above said factors in mind, Fakhar is a breath of fresh air and is at next level compare to our batting standard and culture. Hoping Harry and Talat will become part of LOI's, which could give our limited one dimensional batting much needed change.

29. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Babar Azam is a modern day batsman and is no less than any international players like Eoin Morgan, Steve Smith or Ken Williamson. He is not a power hitter but scores at similar strike rates as Smith, Williamson and Morgan.

30. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    Agreed.

31. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I see his at Ken's level, certainly doesn't belong to Smith, Morgran or Root's league. Even Ken takes time and suck momentum from the innings, and its Guptil or Munro who have to hit big to keep score moving. But once set then he can accelerate, which Babar lacks. But still he is somewhat similar to him.

On contrary, you are delusional if you compare Babar with Smith, Morgran or Root. I am not even mentioning Kholi and AB here, because they're are at the top, Smith could be in their league on his day.

32. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Smith or Root cannot accelerate for shit.

33. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Atleast he is a batsman.

34. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    I'm only comparing him to Morgan and Smith based on his ODI and T20 stats so far. Kohli is definitely a separate class of cricketer.

35. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Babar Azam can only be compared with current Pakistani batsman and batsman in his age group.

Ben Duckett, Sam Billings, Liam Livingstone, Shai Hope, Shreyas Iyer, Kusal Mendis, Aiden Markram, Thenius De Bruyn, Quinton De Kock, Travis Head, Rovman Powell, Sadeera Samarawickrama and Temba Bavuma are the batsman that qualify from his age group. You can add in Kl Rahul however he is mid way through 25.

Azhar Ali, Harris Sohail, Shoaib Malik, Shan Masood, Fakhar Zaman, Sami Aslam, Ahmed Shehzad, Hussain Talat, Asad Shafiq, Imam, Hafeez, Kamran Akmal, Umar Amin and Usman Salahuddin are the batsman from Pakistan.

Now, is Babar any good? You decide.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  36. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Even Morgan and Smith possess that extra gear which Babar doesn't. Checkout Smith recent innings, against IND and last time when we visited AUS then you will realize what I mean.

37. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    At the end of the day it’s all about statistics. He is still new and will learn more shots as he matures but he is definitely there when it comes to delivering runs for his team at decent strike rate

38. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Did you watch PAK vs. NZ series or not?

He is technically very good from PAK standards, but needs to learn a lot to be part of the league you mentioned.

When he plays with players like Fakhar, Shajeel or Denly, who can play at a strike-rate of 150+ he looks ok, but if you want him to chase down a big score or set a big target, then he's incapable of it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  39. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Did you watch Last Pakistan vs Australia test series in UAE and how Australian batsman failed on spinning wickets. Babar Azam performed well in Australia and scored centuries. He has scored runs in England too. Anyone can have bad series particularly if the wickets are different from what one is use to playing.

40. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    AUS came to UAE in 2014, wherein they won 3-0.

Smith (who you were comparing with Babar) made significant contribution towards winning the series in 2 game (and Maxwell was MOM).

We went to AUS last year and we lost 5-1.

Bobby darling made only 2 noticeable score, and his only 100, which you are raving about came in dead rubber, and still in the end his side lost the game despite his runs.

Also it was very much obvious in AUS that he needed Sharjeel to release pressure of huge chases all the time, because he is incapable of chasing down big total or set a big target on his own.

Its not necessary to make 100 in every game, whats necessary is make useful runs and how vital those runs will become towards the end result. Runs becomes even more valuable if they come in a chase.