Fawad Alam - A curious case

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, Feb 26, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    This guy has been continuously one of the top scorer in our domestic cricket.
    In international cricket, he averages above 40 in the only threed tests he has played. In ODIS, he averages above 37 in 27 games. he can easily do better than misbah and Younis in odis but i don't know why they aren't giving any chance to him.

the likes of asad and Azhar were given so many chances in tests before they performed but in fawad case,only 3 games and that also they made him open. he scored a century on his debut in seaming conditions but dropped after few failures in next few games.

so guys what do you think about fawad Alam.

share your thoughts here

2. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    I remember he played some horrific shots when he last played for Pakistan and looked totally out of his depth. Sometimes it is good to drop people so they can go away and work on areas that they are lacking and come back better players.

He is obviously a very talented guy and plays very well at 1st class level. I believe he should be given another chance soon and an extended run in the side. In theory he could be a very useful cricketer for Pakistan.

3. karachigirl

karachigirl Tracer Bullet

Sep 6, 2011
    Its just a rumor: but I hearD Mr. Ilyas hates Fawad.

So, it's just the selectors' favorites.

FAVORTISM!

4. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Sorry to burst the bubble but Fawad is not a Test Batsman. Yes, he does have an average of above 40 in 3 test but his technique will never allow him to perform on a consistent basis on test level.

Fawad of T20will only cut a sorry picture for himself. He was drop by the BPL side he represent which says hell of a lot about his abilities in T20.

ODI might be up his street but with his technique it will depend on his form on series to series basis which means that he will never have permanent place in the playing IX.

So if we are look to induce a youngster then we must try to look for someone who will be regular for all the format with sound technique. Not saying this because of Fawad only but the selectors need to send this message down the ranks that only those with proper techniques will be entertain for the National side,so if anyone want to play for Pakistan then they should work of their technique. This decision will end few international career but interest of National Team come first & above all the players.

5. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Technique is way overrated. Players like Chanderpaul have a horrific technique but have survived and had long successful careers.

If you have a good eye and good hand to eye coordination, then any unconventional aspects of your technique can be overcome.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 5
    • List
  6. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    yeah as if other Pakistani batsmen have some great techniques.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 5
    • List
  7. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Out of ten test playing country you were able to name only one player should explain you how wrong is your theory.

Chanderpaul didn't start with this technique for your information, he had a pretty sound technique for most of his career which brought him lot of success & even Captainship.

It just that in later stages to prolong his career he changed it to this awful stance & let me remind you that it is only his stance which is awful but before the ball is released he is in a far better position & perfectly still to judge the line & length.

Now if you watch Fawad it is all messed up affair. He is still shuffling while the ball is released & that will never allow him to judge the line or length. He can still work on it get in a better shape more like Chanderpaul but then the question arises do we want someone like Chanderpaul in our team which also send a wrong signal down the line at junior level where no one will want to work on technique.

Remember a batting line-up can do with one batsman with hand & eyes coordination but for that rest of the batsman need to have sound technique. Still if you care less about technique then be prepare for few more tours like England 2010.

One way of other may be today or few yrs down the line you have to bite this bullet & ask for a better technique from our batsmen. So let not wait for tomorrow & do it right now which will harsh on few players but look for the bigger picture.

8. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    To be honest I don't have time to go through every test playing nation and list their batsman and techniques. Chanderpaul was just the first who came to my head. But there are many batsman in the world, many throughout history and many who have been successful......who did not have orthodox batting techniques learnt from English private schools. You only have to watch cricket to see it.

Then you go on and analyse Fawad's batting as if I was saying he is perfect and the finished article. Yawn dude, you should read posts properly before responding to them. There are obviously things he needs to work on but he should always bat how he feels comfortable and forcing people to bat like English private school boys wont solve anything.

9. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Master salves attitude has not gone out of your system.

You blamed me for not reading through but it you were not yawning may be you had realized that technical analyses of Fawad batting was to inform you that the whole aspect of batting is unconventional & it needs to be worked on in his time not of Pakistan teams cause.

Good technique doesn't mean have copy book English technique. Aus player doesn't have copy book English technique nor did West Indian players had it.

I may be explained to you what good technique is but as it is you are sleepy & it better for me to side step those who are here to discuss cricket but have no time to analyses anything.

10. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    It's funny because I was just going to say how you seem a complete slave.

You still succeed in making me yawn. Unconventional does not equal wrong. It equals unique and it equals entertainment, which is ultimately what cricket is. Fawad should bat how he feels comfortable batting. That is how he is going to improve and score runs......not by forcing himself to bat in a certain way.

And then you follow to prove my own point. Aussies, English, West Indian etc can all have different techniques. So Fawad can also have a different technique. He, of course, needs to work on his batting. I never said his batting was perfect and he needn't change anything but to harp on about technique as if it is the be all and end all is only showing up your lack of depth.

And yes you are making me sleepy.

11. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Most of the time I ignore the ignorant but this time around I want to give you benefit of doubt by not considering you an ignorant.

Basic English eludes you hence you think that good technique mean English technique but that is your perception & i can't change it.

When you use unconventional against the good then it means wrong,bad or poor but it can't mean only different. So it was your choice of word I merely continued with it. Use of language is important issue for a discussion but I am not in mood to teach you. So sorry for it.

12. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    It's ok, I don't need English lessons from you since I am perfectly able to speak and teach the language myself!
    You appear to be a bit lost in this discussion...more out of being stubborn and proud than anything else. You made an initial point about technique this, technique that and I merely pointed out that technique is overrated and an unconventional technique can be successful too....provided the batsman has a good eye and good hand-eye coordination. I never said Fawad is perfect nor the finished article.

Your attitude has made it clear that if this discussion continued we will merely be going in circles and you will merely be providing me with a cure for insomnia....not something I want or need at the moment.

Kind regards.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  13. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Read & read your own post inshallah you will understand what you said in what context. Rest is useless to discuss anything with someone who is blind to facts.

Alahamdillah that even at my worst I can be help to someone.

14. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    It's always good to help people. I hope you continue to help those who need it.

15. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Fawad is an unconventional batsman but he is effective. Sure he has bad days but so does everyone else. He's still one of the highest averaging ODI batsmen we have.

At the end of the day it comes down to team balance and batting order. Fawad is not a slogger and needs to bat up the order. He doesnt have the technique to open or even bat at 3 but he would do a great job batting anywhere from 4 to 6.

With guys like Azhar, Shafiq, Taufeeq, Younis, Misbah and Umar Akmal floating about I dont think Fawad warrants a spot in the test team just yet. Perhaps never.

16. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    Please bring him back at #4 instead of YK.

38 average in 27 innings, he cant do any worse than YK in ODIs

17. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    he was very harshly treated, and has a lot more going for him in ODI's then even Azhar Ali.. and is different to Umar Akmal, so when Misbah goes along with YK, Umar and Fawad could be good replacements.

18. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    His technique was bit iffy but he was harshly dropped, not sure why he wasn't picked again considering his great domestic form.

19. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Atleast be in the squad.

Will be good competition for spots.

Umar Akmal, Asad, Fawad Alam, Haris Sohail etc.

20. Raf Pragmatic

Raf Pragmatic Banned

Jan 7, 2013
    Fawad could at least make some runs. Even Younus Khan & Afridi get out horrifically and what we say-Ouch! They are unlucky! We should change our approach to the batting section. We bring fresh blood in bowling sector! Why don't we use the same thing in batting too. Misbah, Younus & Afridi; we do know their limit. What we need to do is just pick one player at a time and let him play in the place of Younus/Malik/Afridi/Misbah (c!). In this way, if we can manage one player with 40+ averages that will be great help. Never forget it was Nasir Jamshed, Mohammad Irfan & Junaid Khan (the youth) who beat India. Here in SA we did lots of blunders and kept on giving chances to players who are failing in eveything & in every match! This is wrong... This is not Insaaf to the Youths. If anyone like me were in the team, I would go free lance Cricket & I'm pretty sorry to say!

21. Saein

Saein Smooth Operator

Sep 4, 2010
    There is lot said abt technique when ppl discuss Fawad, but then we have Hafeez, Malik, Azhar, Farhat, Taufeeq all having questionable techniques but are regular in the team. :fp Give poor guy a consistent run alteast in tests and ODI before declaring him a failure.

22. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    I remember when the world 11 team came to Pakistan and the boundary was made at 40 meters i think and everyone was smashing 6s and iodine deficient case of fawad alam came to wicket and was caught in the inner circle trying to clear one after missing quite a few. this guy is a twisted fruit, thats all.

23. Saein

Saein Smooth Operator

Sep 4, 2010
    This is for you, bud. Surely these boundaries are longer than 40 meters.

http://www.allvoices.com/contribute...lam-23-off-8--3-sixes-vs-sri-lanka-canada-t20

Guess who is the twisted fruit now. :thinking

24. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Mentality dheko.

Cricket is about rotating the strike. Take 1s, 2s and 3s.

Not gully cricket where you hit 4s and 6s all day long.

He can surely clear the boundary too, but we need someone who can rotate the strike too instead of TUK, TUK, TUK, 6, 4, TUK, OUT!

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  25. Saein

Saein Smooth Operator

Sep 4, 2010
    And then the same guy hate Afridi - lol.

26. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    :lol

27. FTB

FTB Emerging Player

Dec 16, 2012
    Didn't Fawad hit Sohail Tanvir for three consecutive sixes in last years FBT20? So he can clear the ropes if needed but he relies more on rotating the strike to get his runs, nothing wrong with that.

28. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    We obviously want him to be our Yuvraj Singh which he isn't. Its always a question mark as to which number can he be slotted in the team.

29. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    thats our main issue. Nobody in the team does it...the main reason our team was good with Inzy and MoYo..is that they used to milk the bowlers during the middle overs...I think we are the only team who doesnt do it anymore. Its either tuk tuk or a boundary.

30. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    agree... thats the reason we need someone like fawad in there.. Afridi had a brilliant ability to rotate the strike but he just doesn't want to do it and would rather close his eyes and throw his bat which is mentally easier for him. We need Fawad in there doing that role; but also guys like Azhar Ali can learn the skill as whatever form of the game you play you need to score runs, it's not always about batting time and playing for a draw.

31. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    Scored all of 0 . Fawad alams dolphins are 2 drop from what i recall of this faisal bank cup

32. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
  33. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    team needs him..good thing Alhmdulillah he performed. We need someone who can get the scoreboard rolling with the singles and doubles.

34. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    TeamFawadAlam from Post Number 1.

• List
  35. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    AS he said himself. There are players with different style of play and his style is taking singles, doubles, rotating the strike basically and hit the odd boundary. Someone you need to anchor the innings in the middle overs.

• List
  36. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    :lols

37. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
  38. Top Spinner

Top Spinner Tracer Bullet

Feb 27, 2013
    looking it from the other angle it also proves that Pakistan domestic cricket is not as crap as defined to be?
    sharjeel average 40+
    Misbah average 40+
    Fawad average 40+
    Maqsood average 40+
    Umar Akmal average 38
    Add an allrounder or 2 & u have ur highest run chase in history. :thinking

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  39. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    I will go a bit off topic but this thread is a good example of the consistency of our mature posters. Shows we don't change our minds every other match. People actually believed Fawad to be a good batsmen deserving a place in the team.
    Quality > Quantity

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 11
    • List
  40. tanveers

tanveers Youngsta Beauty

Sep 9, 2010
    PCB has been wasting Fawad's years. He should've been a regular member of Pakistan Test and ODI team. He's 28 now, for God's sake keep him in the team so he can give Pakistan some solidity in the middle order for the next 7 years. Those who have low understanding of Cricket think he is not a good player because of his batting style but the thing is, you can't have 11 Afridi in the team. There has to be a balance and now that Misbah is at the eve of retirement, Fawad is an excellent replacement for him. Peace!

• List