1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

First Impressions of Junaid Khan.

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Apr 21, 2011.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Junaid has only bowled 2 overs so far and that's it's far too early to judge him or his impact. However we can discuss what impact you think he's made.

For me, I am very underwhelmed. He just appears to be an average bowler. Perhaps there was too much hype around him.

What about your thoughts?

2. khana

khana Youngsta Beauty

Jul 27, 2010
    mine too, over hyped. but its too early to really make any conclusions, negative or positive.

3. rh8959

rh8959 Youngsta Beauty

May 5, 2010
    for me its his pace other than that i think he can improve on his L&Length. I also expected more from him but lets see what he does in future. I want afridi to play him in all matches.

4. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I agree that we need to give him a chance in every game on this tour so that we can see if he's international material.

What do you think about his action, it looks really weird. Not illegal weird, just unusual weird.

I havent seen anyone bowl in the same way, have any of you seen a bowler who bowls like Junaid before?

5. rh8959

rh8959 Youngsta Beauty

May 5, 2010
    he doesnt have a quick arm in his action; the delay at the point of release of the ball kind of reduces his pace unlike ammir and wasim who has quick arm at the point of release of the ball. I think the only way he can improve his bowling is to practice on swinging and seam the ball just like tanvir ahmed.

6. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    He doesn't seem to be as composed a bowler as Amir was... Lets hope all the hype was not just talk

7. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    I think Afridi will first look to secure the one day series with Tanvir and Wahab to start with. Tanvir gives batting option too. If Pakistan makes 3-0 then they will opt to experiment with Junaid which I would say is fair enough as primary focus should be to win series.

8. shaheer

shaheer Youngsta Beauty

Apr 20, 2011
    he looks much better than players like gul wahab or even to an extent aamer at debut and hope he improves from waqar and aqib or even wasim would be better I quite like his control and accuracy

9. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    @iho

If he wants a batting option then he should play Hammad Azam. He needs to play more than one attacking fast bowler.

However Afridi is a defensive captain and you're probably right that he'll pack the batting rather than have more attacking options.

10. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Pakistan should be looking to invest in the future. This means that they must give as much exposure to their new and younger members as possible. Junaid and Hammad must play as many games as possible

11. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    he only bowled 2 overs, yesterday. Lets hope, he will feature in the odi games, along with Hammad Azam.

12. Farax

Farax Youngsta Beauty

Sep 7, 2010
    hmm

I agree that he should be given more chances to gauge him as a bowler. However, there were some causes of concern when I saw him the first time. I think after his delivery step, he fall over to the right too much instead of keeping everything straight. Hence there are a few things that are going to happen to him from time to time

1) It is going to be tough for him to concentrate on a line consistently
    2) He is missing out on the height factor and hence less bounce for him

However, having said that,I would have liked to see him bowling at the death overs as well just to judge if he gets any reverse there. I am sure there must be some reverse for him.

13. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    From what I saw I wasn't really impressed with his bowling. Nothing too special or out of the ordinary.

Still early to really comment but he hasn't so far matched all the hype.

14. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    He may not have taken a wicket, but he did bowl better then our main bowler, who is Wahab.

It was a debut game, no worries.

15. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    He had better figures in this game but I got the feeling it was because of the timidity of the Windies batsmen rather than anything Junaid did. On another day, against a team with a more aggressive batting line-up the same deliveries would've have been smacked around the park.

I hope he improves the more games he plays.

16. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    btw, pace bowlers won't really do that good in this tour, its a good spinners pitch.

17. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    He needs a few coaching lessons from Waseem. Mind you it should be just bowling coaching. Left armers need coaching from Waseem. Mind you this is where Waqar's role should also be prominent. I do see talent in this guy. He can up his pace too, and with accuracy he can be good.

18. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
    Good prospect. Hope Rao Ifthiqar is also recalled now.

19. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    ^^ u ok bro

Come on, Junaid bowled a maiden atleast

20. Pink Rickshaw

Pink Rickshaw Youngsta Beauty

Sep 5, 2010
    i think he's done well, unlucky not to have picked up any wickets, but i'm not too worried - he bowled well today (when the west indies were making a conscious effort to be more aggressive), looks more accurate than most other new-ball bowlers we've tried recently. waqar/aqib should hopefully get the best out of him, but i really wish he could get a few sessions with wasimbhai too. anyway, the wickets will come inshallah, these pitches don't have much for the quick bowlers. it's really too bad he doesn't have an experienced fast bowler to build an opening partnership with - i mean compare bowling on these boring roads with hafeez on the other end (with wahab as the senior bowler!) to bowling in nz/aus/eng with asif for support at the other end....

21. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Junaid had bowled well so far without any luck.

22. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I hope Junaid picks up a wicket or two in the next game. Unfortunately in international cricket the knack of not picking up wickets is catching. If you get it early in your career then you're always facing an uphill battle.

23. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Junaid just took his first wicket, it was a bowled and quite a good one too. The batsman helped him a bit but then that's the case for most wickets. Let's hope he keeps taking scalps.

24. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Pitches are not bowler pace friendly, oh well, looks like he will be dropped for sadaf Hasan or Tanveer AHmad

25. Haider110

Haider110 Youngsta Beauty

Apr 29, 2011
    Junaid khan is bit unfortunate for me .... he bowled really well through out the tournament but havent picked the wicket until yesterday
    and im happy to see junaid khan got a wkt yesterday ,
    but now team already won the series so now u should give chance to salahuddin and Sadaf and tanvir as well.....

26. rh8959

rh8959 Youngsta Beauty

May 5, 2010
    I have big hope that he can improve big time after what i saw today (4th odi). he got confidence when he picked his 1st wicket and that quickened his pace up a bit to 85-86 mph(137-138kmph). most importantly his line and length really improved in this match. the 1st wicket was a classic but he needs to work on his LL when bowling to L.handers. he should come more close to the wicket when bowling to batsmen specially left handers. Other than that he should try to put up some weight to improve his pace.

27. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    I think he bowled really well today. Got 2 wickets and could have had the third but a catch was dropped by Tanvir. I think the reason why Pak lost today was because of brainless batting in last 7ish overs and some terrible bowling by Tanvir... I dont get why Pak is playing him at his age. Especially since he is a fast bowler and has nothing special that we have seen going for him

28. ahmad18

ahmad18 Youngsta Beauty

Aug 3, 2010
    well the guy has got talent the 1st wicket he took in 4th odi was a quality delivery also usman salahudin look to have a decent technique
    now i hope sadaf is selected ahead of tanvir ahmad
    BUT COMING TO POINT AGAIN JUNAID HAS THE TALENT AND HE IS LUCKY DAT HE IS IN HANDS OF WAQAR AND AQIB WHICH WILL MAKE HIM ONLY BETTER

29. BoomBoom786

BoomBoom786 Talented

Apr 12, 2010
    Top class new ball operator. Can move the ball appreciably away from the right hander. Has done pretty well on this tour. Tends to be a bit flat & predictable in his second spells but comes across as a guy who can make the ball talk with the brand new cherry in his hand. Varies his pace every now & then. Good to see him selected in the Test Squad. Hope he plays ahead of Tanvir Ahmed. Generally an exciting young prospect who is growing in confidence the more he plays.

30. Pak Fan

Pak Fan Youngsta Beauty

Nov 4, 2010
    Its sad really that Tanvir Ahmad is peaking so late in his career and therefore he is age is acting against him. Don't know much about Junaid yet still can't judge. Hopefully he's good though, but i have to agree that Pakistan Pace bowling has really dropped in the last 10 years. there was a really bad spell when we had to deal with jokers like Mohd Sami and Naveed Ul Hasan. Then Mohd Amir came and left. Now we need an exciting new talent like Junaid to give it some spark.

31. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Junaid look very dangerous on tracks like Barbados which favour fast bowlers but then so does Razzaq. I havent seen anything from him that would suggest he's a force to be reckoned with when the conditions arent favourable.

I hope he proves me wrong

32. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    It must be agreed that Junaid so far has not set the world alight as Akhtar/ Asif/ Amir did in their first few games. He seems a decent bowler but nothing special. I am saying this having seen him bowl in 1 t20 and 4 ODI match's that he's played so far

33. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Asif was pathetic in his first outing against Australia. Without any pace and without any movement, nobody was willing to give him a second chance. He improved and came back and set the world alight. So i am not going to give in on this chap. However he does need to improve a lot in order to be permanent fixture in this side. He has time and Waqar on his side. Perhaps a little help from Waseem could help him lift his game.

And a little bit of aggression could also help

34. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Asif was ineffectual in Australia and a lot of people wrote him off but he went off and re-invented himself. He cut his runup and concentrated on moving the ball.

35. kumkum01

kumkum01 Youngsta Beauty

May 6, 2011
    Hi friends...Nice forum....i think he can improve on his L&Length. I also expected more from him but lets see what he does in future. I want afridi to play him in all matches..........regards......

regards.....

kumkum

36. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Junaid really has been in great form of late and is a must for the upcoming tours to India and South Africa. I think Junaid will earn the label of being Pakistan's premiere fast bowler in the coming months. Time for him to be #1 in the pecking order.

37. Bouncer

Bouncer Talented

Jan 14, 2010
    Gul has lowered the bar so much in last 4 or so years that it is not difficult to be labelled Pak Premier fast bowler.