1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

First Look: Hammad Azam

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Apr 25, 2011.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Hammad is bowling now. He's got a good strong action and bowls in the high 70 mph range. He's a very straight bowler and looks to stop the batsman from scoring instead of looking to take wickets.

I do think he undersells himself as a bowler, he has more potential than just being a line and length defensive bowler.

2. Sixer

Sixer Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2010
    Yes, he looks a good bowler with a nice straight arm action. He is bowling in the high 70 mph range but during the U-19 world cup I saw him hitting the 83-84 mph range consistently.

So far from what I've seen of Hammad is he looks a defensive bowler who just stops the runs as Razzaq did. He keeps a nice line and length.

Hope he has a bright future ahead of him - inshallah.

3. Sixer

Sixer Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2010
    His first wicket ! Brilliant bowling. Kept it tight and straight and eventually got his first wicket. Good bowling.

4. Pak Fan

Pak Fan Youngsta Beauty

Nov 4, 2010
    I agree he looks good but still can't judge off 3.2 overs. I would say instead of working on pace he should learn to swing it around a little more, find the edge. He's got the best teacher right next to him in Waqar Younis. If he can't work up the pace, or if he adds the pace and his accuracy goes haywire, I would say stick to line and length, just work on swing.

5. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I agree with that analysis PF. Hammad needs to look to work the ball.

From what I've seen so far, nearly all his balls are at the batsman's legs. He needs to learn to make the batsman chase his deliveries outside off as well as defend their pads.

6. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
    Abit slow but good line and length.

7. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    He's only bowled 5 overs and got a wicket already. Whereas Junaid has played 3 games and still no wickets. It think wicket taking bowlers tend to find ways to get them even if they don't bowl particularly good spells. Have a look at Wahab for instance, he sprays it around quiet a bit and then gets wickets out of the blue.

8. BALOCH_786

BALOCH_786 Talented

May 5, 2010
    Hammad's pace will increase when he starts playing more international games. And specially under waqar younis, I am sure he will improve alot. I remember when Gul first playing for Pakistan he was ranging in early 130-134 kph. But now Gul regularly hits 140-145 easily.

9. Pakistanfan

Pakistanfan Youngsta Beauty

Nov 18, 2010
    Surely he has the potential to fill the boots of razzaq

10. BoomBoom786

BoomBoom786 Talented

Apr 12, 2010
    He bowled neatly yesterday. Was pretty decent in the field as well. He was involved in 3 dismissals. I was expecting his pace to be better, but he has time on his hands. He bowled a few off cutters and varied it a bit. Picked up a key wicket of Marlon Samuels with an in slider clipping the leg stump. Was a good way to start his international career. Yet to bat in his first 2 games. The level of ease of which Pakistan have coasted to victory has been clinical. Hammad is easing his way into the arena. A positive impact in restricting the home side to 221 in the 2nd ODI played in St Lucia.

11. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    (After 3rd ODI) Positives from the game today, Hammad Azam's batting for me! Didn't get to watch all of it but the little I saw, quite convincing and pleasing to the eyes that the youngster is one for the future! IA

12. Cyclones

Cyclones Youngsta Beauty

Jan 28, 2010
    Does his batting style remind anyone of Imran Khan's?

13. Farax

Farax Youngsta Beauty

Sep 7, 2010
    hm

He looked calm and composed. Certainly one for the future! Loved the way he was pulling and hooking the short stuff.

14. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    One word characterised Hammad's innings. 'Control'

He was in control of his innings, in control of his shots and in control of the game. Too often young Pakistani batsmen walk in with a swagger and fail to realise that they haven't earned their spot yet.

15. Haider110

Haider110 Youngsta Beauty

Apr 29, 2011
    What i feel like he is really goin to replace Razzak altogether , He got fire power which u can see from the six which he gt of Bravo i guess...

16. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    The minimum we can expect from him is another Razzaq... And with the right guidance he could be a lot more. Now the thing with him is that he doesn't only have two gears (often associated with Razzaq). Hammad seems to be able to rotate the strike as well as hit, but I think its too early to say much. So far he seems pretty decent and mature for his age

17. bang-bang-razzaq

bang-bang-razzaq Youngsta Beauty

Feb 25, 2011
    if he was halve as good as imran khan that is good enough

18. Haider110

Haider110 Youngsta Beauty

Apr 29, 2011
    Imran khan was no good , but eventually by winning a world cup he became great captain :D

19. Joseph K.

Joseph K. Youngsta Beauty

Jan 24, 2010
    I really do hope you are joking, Haider. Imran was a good planner of the game. He could read the game and play accordingly. Together with Javed Miandad, he could change any game. His batting was amazingly intelligent and exciting. He was a genuine match winner. His captaincy and leadership are unique in the history of not only our cricket but international cricket all together. Our cricket needs a leader like him, someone who could come and shepherd these youngsters. If he was around, we would not have lost Amir. He would have smacked some sense in his little/big head, he could have controlled the genius of Shoaib. I think only MS Dhoni comes anywhere near him as far as control and calm, composure (grace under pressure) is concerned. We have seen Ponting leaving in disgrace after winning major tournaments, we have seen Afridi lose his batting under the pressure of captaincy, even Sachin's own game was affected by this pressure and he gave up after a short stint. Imran only became better as he took on more responsibility, throughout his career he was the world's greatest all rounder in the age of great all rounders.

20. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Bowling: Good control and wicket to wicket bowling. Can improve his pace with the passage of time.

Batting: Batting is his stronger point. Very good in the head. Technically should work on his foot work especially his trigger movement. I think in future he will be a very very good batsman IF he plays regularly at No.5 position.

21. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    You are joking right?

22. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    I hope this is not another Razzaq. Or else drop him and get Sohail Tanvir back in.

23. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I think the biggest issue with Hammad will be the fact that, from the evidence of the last game (and his u19 exploits), he is a genuine batsman and needs to regularly bat in the top 6.

That's the only way that we can develop him and the latent talent he's shown us. However the problem with Pakistan cricket is that we will try and turn him into a big hitting lower order batsman like we did with Abdul Razzaq and Azhar Mahmood. Both those players had the potential to become decent batsman who could hold their own in a top 6 position. However we ddin't allow them to develop or learn how to build an innings.

A lot of posters are comparing Hammad to Razzaq but Razzaq was always a better bowler than a batsman. It's only in the last half a decade that he's become a consistent lower order pinch hitter.

Hammad is more like Azhar Mahmood, a batsman who is a useful bowler. I just hope that Hammad's career isn't wasted the same way that Azhar Mahmoods was.

24. BoomBoom786

BoomBoom786 Talented

Apr 12, 2010
    Hammad Azam's emergence will ensure Fawad Alam stays out of team contention for a long time. He deserved his 50 yesterday.

Unlucky lad. His temperament is admirable. He plays with a lot of maturity. He can handle pressure situations & thrives on added responsibility. He can play a lengthy innings & smack some meaty sixes. I see some similar qualities with a Misbah like batsmen in Hammad which is no small compliment. The sound calmness, ability to read match situations & handle proceedings out there in the middle, become a good "finisher" as well as having the talent to change gears and open up with his shot selection.

Nice crucial knock of 36 on his debut. Having the wisdom & composure of Misbah on the other end surely helped the cause and helped him settle and subsequently got the best out of him. Together they put on a match winning 78* wicket stand for the 5th wicket on a challenging wicket & prevented West Indies making further in roads by applying themselves at the wicket for approximately 20 overs as they edged their side closer and closer. Proper controlled methodical approach to the situation on not the easiest of tracks.

25. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Razzaq is pretty much finished as a bowler and his batting has always been hit and miss.

If Hammad can work a little on his bowling then he will be a threat to spinning all-rounders like Hafeez, Afridi, Malik, Rehman and Fawad. No team needs to fill their squads with this many spinning all-rounders.

All-rounders who bowl spin are a dime a dozen but pace all-rounders who can really bat are a lot rarer these days.

Hafeez is having a good run after 8 years of repeated failure but can he keep it up? Afridi is averaging 40 with the ball against non-minnows, his batting is not worth talking about and his captaincy is ridiculous. Malik is out of the picture until Ijaz Butt is replaced but he will be back. And Fawad has not been allowed to bowl because that would add to his utility and make it harder to push him out.

If Pakistan are serious about moving on from the fractious legacy of the recent past then they need to forget about players like Malik, Afridi, MoYo and Kamran. Instead we need to keep a few seniors like Younis (test only) and Misbah (test & odi) around whilst investing in players who dont throw their wickets away.

Bravehearts like Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Fawad Alam and Hammad Azam should make up the future spine of the Pakistan team.

26. CORNERED TIGER

CORNERED TIGER Emerging Player

Nov 2, 2010
    seen him during u19 WC pakistan have to keep playin him.
    not seen current ODI series vs west indies so i cant say much as for now bu from what i saw during u19 wc and from what i heard from my pals he is good

27. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Yeah i have been of the opinion that we needed batting allrounders, batsmen who could bowl. Seems Hammad can fit in those shoes. Case in point is Hafeez. He has developed into a fair batsman and a decent bowler. Opens the batting and mostly opens the bowling too.

I think Hammad should be batting in the top 6. He could progress to be a good batting addition who can deliver a few overs here and there and could pick a surprise wicket.