Ganguly’s announcement of Super Series with ENG & AUS - good idea in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Few weeks earlier Ganguly made an announcement about "Super Series" idea with England and Australia beginning 2021.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cric...dia-australia-england-icc/article30379375.ece

After knowing this, a thought comes in mind that, these 3 (and they will include another country, perhaps NZ) are already playing more Test compared to other nations. If this idea gets materialized than they will get to play even more Test and others teams will go in a kind of isolation.

On one hand ICC wants to globalize cricket and on another hand, BCCI makes "Super series" announcement, which will polarized further Test cricket nations. More to the point, if intent is to polarized Test Cricket than whats the point of ongoing Test Championship?

Also, at some point, people might get bored with 3/4 teams playing to each other almost all the time.

Last but not the least, on one hand ICC Champions Trophy has been ended and on the other hand 3/4 board trying to build their monopoly again, which is wrong in my book. This idea will destroy Test cricket.

Discuss...

2. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    I have two points to make here.

First,
    Might is right.
    BCCI has the money and money is power. So they will plan and do things that many other boards would only wish for.

Modern day cricket is a business rather than a sports. And in business, all what matters is how to make more and more money. And BCCI will make a lot more money by launching this series rather than playing with Bangladesh type of team.

So whether it's a good decision or bad a decision? The opinion of other boards doesn't really matter.
    Especially, those Pakistani fans and ex-players who criticize this plan.
    The reason is: imagine if Ganguly picks Pakistan as the 4th nation then all Pakistan fans and ex-cricketers who were originally criticizing this plan, will suddenly find themselves actually praising Ganguly and this plan.
    And perhaps this is also true for all other boards who may be critical of this plan and they are not part of it.
    You know, the sour grapes.

Second,
    Yes, we need to see some quality in cricket. And quality is not only displayed but it also gets tested when two strong and skillful opponents lock horns.
    There is no fun watching India vs Zimbabwe and England vs Afghanistan, and South Africa vs Somalia, and Australia vs Pakistan type of one sided crap.

So I would actually support the idea of this series to be started as an experiment. It could turn out to be a display of good quality cricket.

However, I would like to have one change in it.
    IMO, it should be played on a neutral venue; otherwise, it tends to get a boring home advantage to India where runs and runs are piled and records are broken left and right. There are no close games and it becomes boring pretty quick.
    A neutral venue will circumvent this.

OR, each of the participating countries can take turn to host the series every year. This will probably do the same where the home team will have a great advantage but at least we will see some variety in the over all results.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  3. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I am all in for better quality of cricket, but like as I said, it will polarized Test cricket rather than globalize it.

Also, why would I and many others like me, who are not from IND, ENG & AUS will watch and support their Test?

Yes, Pakistan was utter garbage on their last visit of down under, but dont they (AUS, ENG & SA etc) struggle too when then come to UAE?

4. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    As I said, its a cut throat world out there where dogs eat dogs.
    Money is all what matters. Nobody gives a sh!t about moral obligation and sportsman spirit.

They don't give a flying flock whether Pakistanis or fans of other non participating countries watch their Test series or not?
    They have done all the math, and they know that following of the series in India alone will meet the financial target.

Who knows if they are planning to bring ICC down altogether and rule the cricket world as a monopoly?

5. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Sure, but than ICC should stop whining about globalization of cricket and take it next level. With this approach and mindset only 3/4 countries will watch Test cricket, which is the death of their own narrative - "globalize cricket".

6. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    If they simply want to do this, why not classify the ICC Test Championship into two groups - top 4 and the rest!!

7. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    ICC can plan whatever it wants but they probably won't stand a chance if they are put against Australia India and England combined. ICC is free to fight against them but knows where it goes?

As far as Pakistan goes, our best bet to survival is to uplift the quality of our cricket to a point where we simply can't be ignored. We should shoot to become the best international level team where other teams yearn to play with us. We should create world class megastars.

Once we get a value and worth put on our cricket, we will automatically become a demand - otherwise, we will remain a little known minnow with no importance where no gives a crap about us.

8. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    As far as I am concerned, we are a top 5 team in all formats. Most important format is test cricket after which odi is important and least important is t20!! We must seek to be best in tests and odis!!

9. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Number paanch sey kaam nahi chaleyga bhaiya. tooti phooti, langri looli team hai with the worst possible duo of coach and selector.
    If you are not CONSISTENTLY in the top two, you are almost nothing.

10. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Bhai jab number 5 per ho to tab hi 2 per ja sakte ho na Number 8 se Number 2 jaana ziada asaan hai ya number 5 se?

11. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I second you but what you are proposing will take years to get materialized.

When I opposed this idea, I wasnt only speaking as Pakistani fan. I am certain fans and followers of SA, WI, SL also woudnt like this idea.

Also, you are missing a vital aspect here. If this idea is implemented than these 3 will get to play even more Test whilst others will hardly get chance to play, so whats the point to playing Test anymore?

12. pat

pat Emerging Player

Nov 25, 2018
    I have serious doubts if this series will ever materialize. It is all about rolling back Manohar's actions against BCCI at the ICC. The 2023 MPA and bidding is going to be coming up. BCCI's message to ICC: We can hurt you!

13. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    we can decide not to play test anymore.
    Do you really think they will care?

Everyone is own their own. No one cares or have mercy or sympathy for anyone unless there is a financial interest.

This idiot Zaka Ashraf boasted his chest that he managed to pull a series with India, NOT telling the masses that India put a HUGE condition behind the closed doors. "Not a single penny will be paid to PCB from that series."

14. pat

pat Emerging Player

Nov 25, 2018
    Not sure why that was going to be a secret. the series was, after all, held in India. Zaka is no genius but he is far more realistic than sethi, SK and Mani and didn't blow smoke up peoples pants.

15. Bublu Bhuyan

Bublu Bhuyan Youngsta Beauty

Feb 15, 2010
    Goodness! At least check the facts before speaking. The proposed Super Series is to be played in the ODI format, not Tests.

16. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    doesn't matter.
    Whatever was discussed above applied to either or - but that's only if you had two brain cells to figure this out.

17. Bublu Bhuyan

Bublu Bhuyan Youngsta Beauty

Feb 15, 2010
    If only you had 1 single brain cell to figure out that the OP was speaking how such a Super Series consisting of Tests would dilute the already ongoing Test Championship.

18. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    An ODI “super sires” (if that’s what u wanna call it) will have the same effect on the ODI champion series whenever it gets played.

19. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    its a tri series. ganguly seems like short of ideas.

20. pat

pat Emerging Player

Nov 25, 2018
    so, it will not affect the WTC?

21. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    What it will NOT effect is the ability of BCCI to make a huge amount of money from the so called "super series", and that's what matters to them.

Whether WTC will be effected?
    Who knows where Test Cricket is heading when we have talks of 4 day games.
    If Test cricket becomes drastically less lucrative than LOI's, then it will slowly die by itself.

22. pat

pat Emerging Player

Nov 25, 2018
    When has test cricket ever been lucrative? I've been following the game from PMIK's debut year. ODi's having ruling over tests since the mid 80's.

The only reason tests cricket is surviving becos of bad business decisions by BCCI.

23. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    We don’t know what future holds but as I stated earlier, cricket is not primarily a sports anymore.
    It’s now a multi million dollar business industry - and all what matters in business is money.

Handif Muhammad was one of the great test players.
    During his peak years, he used to go the ground on his bicycle to play a TEST match for which he used to get paid Rs 50.

Players didn’t care or think too much about the money or fame or glamour. They loved the game. And they used to fight for their country. Money had little importance.

Modern day cricket is different.
    It’s about the viewership, the advertising, and lucrative business contracts.

Players get sold for $ millions in IPL auctions.
    Players retire from tests and even say bye bye to their respective five boards to earn more money somewhere else.

The mindset has changed - The priorities are changed.

So, as long as their is enough amount of viewership, the future of TEST cricket seems stable.

But soon as cricket boards start taking financial losses out of test series, they would either try to tweak or innovate it (like the recent 4 days game argument) - or they will start distancing themselves from tests. It’s because Time is money.
    Time spent in LOI that created more money vs Time spent in test series resulting in less profit or even a loss.
    It’s very easy for a business to decide which way to go.

By the way, When Kapil Dev started his international debut, I was at the ground.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  24. pat

pat Emerging Player

Nov 25, 2018
    I remember that one as the "Zaheer abbas series"

Test cricket is unfortunately on a very slow spiral of death.