Greatest Fast Bowlers (based on career peak)

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Jan 6, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Greatest Fast Bowlers (based on career peak)

by Abdul Habib
    21st September 2003

waqar_younis_shoaib_akhtar_wasim_akram_chacha_cricket_fast_bowlers.png

Who were the greatest fast bowlers of all time?

If we look at each players 6 year career peak (first day of the 1st year to the last day of the last year) and list them by their strike rate then who would be the greatest fast bowler of all time? I'm sure most of us would have an inkling as we read this but I assure you apart from the No.1 position, the placements of most of the remaining names are quite surprising!!!

My first task was to choose a selection of bowlers and this had to have some limits or I could never have completed this list. Firstly a lot of the names suggested to me are 'pages of history' and not sportsmen as we would know them today. Some suggested the Australian fast bowler Spofforth but when I checked his stats he'd only ever played against England and no-one else. After checking a few other names I decided to set the bar at the 1970's because it was only after this decade that we can really say that there was true competition in cricket amongst a variety of teams at a competitive level.

Fast bowlers before this period had not faced the variety of quality batsmen on varying pitches around the world that the post-70's bowlers have had to contend with. Also there is a lot more cricket played these days, so todays bowlers have to be physically fitter and have an attack full of variety just to survive! Much of the bowlers and batsman before this period played the same teams (or even team) over and over again, they got to know each others weaknesses and strengths. If there was a player today who had only ever played against one team then would we call him great? The players from centuries ago may hold importance for those fans and pundits whose teams havent produced any truly world class players since then but the rest of us know different.

If you sent Wasim and Waqar back 80 years in a time machine during their peak, I believe they would probably blast out any teams batting order within the first 25 overs. The players we have today are professionals and incredible at what they do. It's unfair to both sets of cricketers for us to compare todays dedicated professionals to the leisurely amateurs from era's gone by, for whom cricket was nothing more than a hobby or something to do when they got bored.

Anyway I believe cricket only got truly competitive during the 70's with an array of teams all fighting it out in differing conditions against all sorts of players and brand new varieties of deliveries.

The players I chose were...

Australia - Lillee, Gillespie and McGrath
    England - Botham
    India - Srinath and Kapil
    New Zealand - Hadlee
    Pakistan - Imran, Waqar and Wasim
    S Africa - Pollock and Donald
    W Indies - Garner, Marshall, Holding, Ambrose and Walsh.

...some people may suggest other names that I may have missed and I know the above werent all 'strictly speaking' fast bowlers but they are all great bowlers! I will be comparing each players 6 year peak at their discipline because when we are choosing players in all time greatest teams then we are choosing them for their peak powers and not their overall performance. Any player that can turn out all time great figures for 6 consecutive years is a great in my book!

I dont like to hold injuries against any player because that is something out of their control so 6 years is the perfect length of time for even the most injury prone players to prove their worth!!!

There will be two categories, the all time greatest bowlers and the 'great' bowlers. To qualify for either category a player must meet the benchmark set and each player will be ranked by their strike rate, since this is the most important factor in a test match bowlers figures!

All Time Greatest Bowlers

The benchmark set for each bowler will be exactly the same, they must have a strike rate below 50 and an average below 21 to qualify as one of the all time greatest bowlers. They must have sustained these figures for a 6 year period when they were at the peak of their abilities. Below are the results...

01. 194 wkts at an avg of 20.02 with a S/R of 38.0 for Waqar (90-95)
    02. 154 wkts at an avg of 14.85 with a S/R of 40.9 for Imran (81-86)
    03. 238 wkts at an avg of 18.90 with a S/R of 43.1 for Marshall (84-89)
    04. 233 wkts at an avg of 19.88 with a S/R of 43.1 for Donald (95-00)
    05. 222 wkts at an avg of 18.76 with a S/R of 46.1 for Hadlee (83-88)
    06. 195 wkts at an avg of 19.87 with a S/R of 46.4 for Wasim (90-95)
    07. 286 wkts at an avg of 20.50 with a S/R of 48.1 for McGrath (95-20)

...only seven bowlers made it into the all time great category. I know the benchmark was a bit high but then dont we expect the very best from our all time greats especially at the very peaks of their careers? Waqar's S/R at his peak is unmatchable and the only one to come close is Imran Khan. I've deliberately left out a certain controversial bowler because he has just hit his peak now and has only one 5 year period to his name at the moment! I did a little check on Shoaibs last few 3 year periods and his best figures are...

84 wkts at an avg of 16.52 with a S/R of 32.2 for Shoaib (00-03)

...if he can keep free from injury and sustain similar form for another two years then Waqar may have a serious challenger for his top spot!!!

Great Bowlers

Not every bowler from the 17 in my list made the benchmark and that surprised me since I felt most of them bowling at the peak of their powers would have made it but sadly they didnt. So I have created a second category for 'great bowlers' so that everyone could see where their favourites rank. Obviously these bowlers are still some of the best in history and fans from their respective countries will back them to the hilt as being entitled to be in the 'greatest bowlers' group but they didnt meet the benchmark set, which I'm sure most of you will agree was quite fair when we are talking about the best bowlers in the business.

The benchmark for the 'great bowlers' category is a S/R below 55 and an average below 25, the results are...

08. 151 wkts at an avg of 21.61 with a S/R of 45.9 for Holding (81-86)
    09. 203 wkts at an avg of 22.17 with a S/R of 45.9 for Lillee (76-81)
    10. 189 wkts at an avg of 20.24 with a S/R of 50.8 for Ambrose (93-98)
    11. 129 wkts at an avg of 23.18 with a S/R of 52.2 for Walsh (85-90)
    12. 249 wkts at an avg of 19.95 with a S/R of 52.9 for Pollock (96-01)
    13. 170 wkts at an avg of 20.62 with a S/R of 53.3 for Garner (81-86)
    14. 267 wkts at an avg of 24.99 with a S/R of 53.5 for Botham (78-83)

...So there you have it, the 7 greatest bowlers (at their peak) of all time from the modern era and 7 bowlers who didnt quite make the grade but will always have a special place in people's memories and whose names will always be mentioned alongside the names of the greatest bowlers.

There were 3 bowlers who made the 'great' category on strike rate but missed out due to their averages they are...

15. 142 wkts at an avg of 25.26 with a S/R of 50.2 for Gillespie (97-02)
    16. 239 wkts at an avg of 26.94 with a S/R of 53.6 for Kapil (79-84)
    17. 142 wkts at an avg of 27.55 with a S/R of 56.0 for Srinath (95-00)

...from these three, Gillespie came closest missing out by 0.27 runs on his average.

Its also good to see players from our era like Donald, McGrath and Wasim up there with the greatest of all time.

Imran is very very underrated as a fast bowler and at his peak he was something special, he maintained a 14.85 average (the best here) and combined it with a S/R of 40.9 (the second best here) for SIX years!

In summary, the king of fast bowlers was a foregone conclusion but the rest of the list makes for quite interesting reading, most of the people I've spoken to about fast bowlers would agree with me that Waqar at his peak was peerless and even the stats bear that fact out.

2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Reading through this analysis again really hits home what we lost with the retirements of Wasim and Waqar. They were once in a lifetime talents which the world will never see again, we couldnt replace them with 20 Asif's or Akhtar's

But they weren't alone. We also had guys like Ambrose, Donald and Walsh too. It's got me wondering if we'll ever see an era of fast bowling like that again.

3. Harsh Thakor

Harsh Thakor Youngsta Beauty

May 5, 2011
    Arguably in order of merit the 10 top fast bowlers of my time are
    1.Malcolm Marshall
    2.Dennis Lillee
    3.Glen Mcgrath
    4.Wasim Akram
    5.Richard Hadlee
    6.Michael Holding
    7.Imran Khan
    8.Curtly Ambrose
    9.Andy Roberts
    10.Waqar Younus.

Marshall had an armoury of deliveries that no paceman ever posessed ,Lillee was the most complete,Hadlee and Mcgrath posessed the greatest control of all,Ambrose was the most accurate of all and the best match-winner,Wasim Akram more versatile than any great bowler,Holding consistently the quickets of all with the most perfect of bowling actions,while Imran was the ultimate man to turn a match against the greateset of opponents.Andy Roberts in versatality was the closest to Lillee.

Mcgrath and Hadlee were statistically the best paceman but lacked the agression,pace and versatality of Marshall and Lillee or even Imran or Akram.

4. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    @Thakor

Good choices but I think you've put Lillee far too high. He was a bit of a one trick pony and never really performed outside the pace friendly conditions of England and Australia. Here's a post I made about him previously...

5. cricfreak

cricfreak Emerging Player

Jul 6, 2010
    akram was the most versatile bowler .. how often u see a "modern day" ATTACKING bowler with an economy of under 4 rpo ... yes it was wasim only who had such stats .. GENIUS !

for me he shud b in the top 3 ...
    jus because u cant jus judge on wht ur personal opinion is .. u shud ask int;l players who faced him and had a nightmarish time ,some of the most attackign n finest players of this era say wasim was the toughest to face .. some being " jayasuriya , lara , gilchrist "

6. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
    Dennis Lillee is The most complete and classical fast bowler of all time and arguably the best.. He had a perfect bowling action great pace, control, movement off the air and the wicket, great versatility combined with unrelenting agression. He could swing the ball both ways ,had a superb leg-cutter, an effective bouncer and could produce subtle changes of pace. He posessed a classical action combined with hostility and agression.In his early days he was tearway fast but became a better bowler when he reduced his pace and concentrated on controlled swing and cut.

Captured 8 wickets for 29 runs against the Rest of the World team at Perth in 1972.In 1973 sufffered a major back-injury but made an almost miraculous recovery, blasting out Englsih and West Indian teams in 1975 and 1976 with partner Jeff Thomson.His 6-26 at Melbourne in the Centenary test in 1977 against England was a classical spell-amongst the greatest of all time where he rattled England with one of the most hostile exhibitions of pace bowling. He repeated that at Melbourne against England in 1979-80 ona flat track where he bowled seam up.He also punished the WEst Indies with 7-83 at Melbourme in 1981-82 with 10 wickets in the match enabling Australia to win win the test match.
    Lillee also bowled particularly well in England like his 10 wickets at the Oval in 1972 and his 7-89 and 10 wickets overall at the Oval in 1981-82.He had ever-consistent wicket hall sin test series and In World Series Cricket captured 67 wickets in 15 supertsets against great stalwarts like Viv and Bary Richards.After Packer Cricket for 3 succesive Australian seasons was the Champion bolwer-1979-80,1980-81 and 1981-82,his supremacy marginally challenged by Holding and Imran.
    He has captured 5 wickets per test and had his 91 wickets captured in Packer cricket and against Rest of the World in 1972 been added his bowling tally would have reached the magic figure of 446 .Never tried effectively on the sub-continent pitches.Dennis Lille captured more top order wickets and important wickets than Marshall.Hea lso ahd relatively toughrer opponents and overshadowed all the bolwing greats in Packer Cricket.
    Dennis Lillee at his best had a brilliant strike rate but his economy rate was higher than stalwarts like Marshall,Imran and Hadlee.In one of Ananth Narayan’s stats analysis he is rated the best fast bowler of all just nosing out Hadleeand Imran and about 2 and a half points above McGrath and Marshall.Infact in both lists he is rated above Mcgrath nad Marshall.Cricinfo selected Lillee in the all-time 11 rating him the best pace bowler of all time.From 1977-1982 he bowled like the ultimate champion converting his strike rate to about 47 balls per wicket.
    Career averages
    Span Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 5 10
    unfiltered 1971-1984 70 132 18467 8493 355 7/83 11/123 23.92 2.75 52.0 23 7 Profile

filtered 1977-1982 30 57 8211 3824 176 7/83 11/123 21.72 2.79 46.6 14 5

For almost 18 months between February 1973 and November 1974, Lillee did not play competitive cricket because of injuries, but came back strongly to become the world's best bowler over the next three years. In 1977, he played in World Series Cricket and demonstrated once again that he was at the peak of his career. In a series that featured the world's top fast bowlers, Lillee took the most wickets, though he also played the most matches, picking up 67 wickets in 14 games across the two seasons
    Performance of top bowlers in World Series Cricket
    Bowler Team Matches played Wickets taken Average 5
    Garth Le Roux World XI 3 17 15.88 2
    Mike Procter World XI 4 14 16.07 0
    Imran Khan World XI 5 25 20.84 0
    Michael Holding West Indies 9 35 23.31 1
    Andy Roberts West Indies and World XI 13 50 24.14 1
    Joel Garner West Indies and World XI 7 35 24.77 1
    Max Walker Australia 7 28 25.42 2
    Dennis Lillee Australia 14 67 26.86 4
    Jeff Thomson Australia 5 16 29.75

Ananth Narayan, of cricinfo compiled 2 tables of statistical analysis of great bowlers of all categories.In both analyses he made separate tables for bowlers in three different periods.I am only reproducing his figures for the modern era. Ananth has taken into account match performances and career ratings .The ratings of Analysis no1 are

1.Dennis Lillee-48.05

2.Richard Hadlee-47.97

3.Imran Khan-47.9

4.Dale Steyn-45.55

5.Macom Marshall-45.44

6.Glen McGrath-44.86

7..Alan Donald-44.18

8..Curtly Ambrose -44.13

9.Waqar younus -43.55

10.Michael Holding 43.4

7. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
    Imran Khan

Imran Khan
    The greatest Asian fast bowler of all time, bar possibly Wasim Akram. Imran was the pioneer of reverse swing and the first pace bowler to master the art of swining an old ball.Combined with afine action, he had an explosive pace and could produce prodigious swing in all conditions.With Wasim,the greatest ever bolwer with an old ball.He had great agression deploying the bouncer to ruthless use His thunderbolt inswinger was perhaps the best the author has seen,like when he bowled Gavaskar and Vishwanath in the Karachi tset in 1982-83 captturing 5-3 in that spell.Above all he has been the best match-winning pace bowler for Pakistan.Few paceman contributed as much in creating historical landmarks for their nation as Imran.and his bolwing virtually shaped Pakistan’s destiny.HIS 12 for 165 at Sydney in 1976-77 enabled Pakistan to draw a series for the first time in Austrlai and win their first ever tset on Australain soil.In 1982-83 he captured 40 wickest in a6 tset match series agaisnt India on the dead Pakistan tracks, enabling Pakistan to win 3-0.In 1987 his hall of 10-89 at Leeds which won the tse match played a major role in Pakisatn winning their first ever series on Englisgh soil.aftercoming so close before.In 1988 he captured 23 wckets in the West Indies and alamost won a tset series for Pakisatn,whichwould have given them the unofficial test world championship.(No team won atset serise thee since Ian Chappel's Australians in 1973)In the fisrt tset he captured 11 wickest and enabled Pakisatn to win th a test match for the first time by any overseas team in WEst Indise since Australai in 1978.At his best in 1981-1983 when he captured 21 wickets in England,bolwing brillinatly at Headingley and Edgbaston.His 2 5 wicket haul spells at Karachi and Hyderabad in 1982-83 versus India rank amongst the greatest of all time. Ina statistical analysis ahead of Wasim Akram,considering that he gained more wins for his country against great opponents and also captured 8 wickets twice,and 7 wickets 3 times unlike Wasim who has captured 7 or more wickets only once.In an overall stats analysis would contest with Hadlee and Marshall in aphoto-finish.In official stats analysis of paceman thid only o.5 decimla point behind Lillee and Hadlee.He championed the placid,subcontinent surfaces which was attribute to his immense talent.

From 1980 to 1988 he was the best fast bowler in the world in terms of averages and strike rate.
    Top bowlers in the world between 1980 and 1988 (Qual: 150 wickets)
    Tests Wickets Average Strike rate 5WI/ 10WM
    Imran Khan 48 236 17.77 43.6 18/ 5
    Richard Hadlee 51 284 19.03 47.0 28/ 7
    Malcolm Marshall 58 297 20.20 44.7 18/ 3
    Joel Garner 49 210 20.62 51.8 7/ 0
    Michael Holding 45 184 23.38 50.3 9/ 1
    Dennis Lillee 35 171 24.07 52.3 11/ 3
    Average quality of wickets captured (rating of Ananth Narayana)

Bowler Value Points

Imran Khan 25.76 10.00
    Lillee D.K 24.58 9.54
    Kapil Dev N 23.83 9.25
    Hadlee R.J 23.64 9.18
    Marshall M.D 22.97 8.92
    Garner J 22.18 8.61
    Waqar Younis 20.34 7.89
    Donald A.A 20.06 7.79
    Ambrose C.E.L 20.01 7.77
    Wasim Akram 19.56 7.59
    McGrath G.D 19.22 7.46

8. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
    Imran Khan

Imran Khan
    The greatest Asian fast bowler of all time, bar possibly Wasim Akram. Imran was the pioneer of reverse swing and the first pace bowler to master the art of swining an old ball.Combined with afine action, he had an explosive pace and could produce prodigious swing in all conditions.With Wasim,the greatest ever bolwer with an old ball.He had great agression deploying the bouncer to ruthless use His thunderbolt inswinger was perhaps the best the author has seen,like when he bowled Gavaskar and Vishwanath in the Karachi tset in 1982-83 captturing 5-3 in that spell.Above all he has been the best match-winning pace bowler for Pakistan.Few paceman contributed as much in creating historical landmarks for their nation as Imran.and his bolwing virtually shaped Pakistan’s destiny.HIS 12 for 165 at Sydney in 1976-77 enabled Pakistan to draw a series for the first time in Austrlai and win their first ever tset on Australain soil.In 1982-83 he captured 40 wickest in a6 tset match series agaisnt India on the dead Pakistan tracks, enabling Pakistan to win 3-0.In 1987 his hall of 10-89 at Leeds which won the tse match played a major role in Pakisatn winning their first ever series on Englisgh soil.aftercoming so close before.In 1988 he captured 23 wckets in the West Indies and alamost won a tset series for Pakisatn,whichwould have given them the unofficial test world championship.(No team won atset serise thee since Ian Chappel's Australians in 1973)In the fisrt tset he captured 11 wickest and enabled Pakisatn to win th a test match for the first time by any overseas team in WEst Indise since Australai in 1978.At his best in 1981-1983 when he captured 21 wickets in England,bolwing brillinatly at Headingley and Edgbaston.His 2 5 wicket haul spells at Karachi and Hyderabad in 1982-83 versus India rank amongst the greatest of all time. Ina statistical analysis ahead of Wasim Akram,considering that he gained more wins for his country against great opponents and also captured 8 wickets twice,and 7 wickets 3 times unlike Wasim who has captured 7 or more wickets only once.In an overall stats analysis would contest with Hadlee and Marshall in aphoto-finish.In official stats analysis of paceman thid only o.5 decimla point behind Lillee and Hadlee.He championed the placid,subcontinent surfaces which was attribute to his immense talent.

From 1980 to 1988 he was the best fast bowler in the world in terms of averages and strike rate.
    Top bowlers in the world between 1980 and 1988 (Qual: 150 wickets)
    Tests Wickets Average Strike rate 5WI/ 10WM
    Imran Khan 48 236 17.77 43.6 18/ 5
    Richard Hadlee 51 284 19.03 47.0 28/ 7
    Malcolm Marshall 58 297 20.20 44.7 1 8/ 3
    Joel Garner 49 210 20.62 51.8 7/ 0
    Michael Holding 45 184 23.38 50.3 9/ 1
    Dennis Lillee 35 171 24.07 52.3 11/ 3

Bowler Value Points

Imran Khan 25.76 10.00
    Lillee D.K 24.58 9.54
    Kapil Dev N 23.83 9.25
    Hadlee R.J 23.64 9.18
    Marshall M.D 22.97 8.92
    Garner J 22.18 8.61
    Waqar Younis 20.34 7.89
    Donald A.A 20.06 7.79
    Ambrose C.E.L 20.01 7.77
    Wasim Akram 19.56 7.59
    McGrath G.D 19.22 7.46

9. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
    Introduction

This list has tried to assess my selection of the greatest 12 fast bowlers of all time in order of merit considering both overall statistical performance and bowling skills and adjusted accordingly.

Dennis Lillee and Malcolm Marshall are ranked at the top ,being the most complete of fast bolwers. They vie for first place in a photo-finish. Lillee posessed greater consistency in his bowling career than Marshall and was consistently the more durable..Morally he captured 450 wickets if you add Packer and games against Rest of the World. Lillee also had greater 5 wicket and 10 wicket hauls in test Cricket. However Marshall had a better strike rate of 46.7 and an average of 20.94 as against Lillee’s figures of51.0 strike rate and 23.92 average,overshadowing the other great paceman of the famous West Indian quartet. Lillee was classically more complete but Marshall was more lethal possessing an armoury of deliveries which no great paceman could deliver and was greater master in the bio-mechanics of bolwing.He also proved himself on the docile sub-continent tracks which Lillee did not. Where Lillee stood above Marshall was in overall evaluation of match performances, particularly if you add World series Packer stats.Either could be first of second but I may give the benefit of doubt to Lillee.

On pure stats,Sydney Barnes is the champion of all who in helpful condition would have overshadowed any modern great fast bowler. In terms of haul of wickets Mcgrath was the champion of all the genuine quickies with a haul of 563 wickets at 21.64.,who possessed every ingredient of a great pace bowler. Glen Mcgrath posessed greater control and accuracy than any great pace bowler bar Richard Hadlee, but lacked the agressiveness and versatality of Marshall and Lillee .Ray lindwall was rated by some cricketing greats like Fred Trueman and Alan Davidson as the best pace man they ever saw who had greater pace and control than Lillee.Had lindwall played in the years of Lillee and Holding he may well have emerged a champion with his phenomenal skill.Adjusting his figures in the 1980’s he may well have equaled if not surpassed the likes of Hadlee and Imran. Statistically to me Hadlee was the greatest paceman of all, as inspite of playing for a weak team he still captured 5 wickets per test and 36 5 wicket hauls.Richard Hadlee was the most lethal of all bolwers on green tops ,posessing as much control as Mcgrath,but not as productive as Marshall or Lillee,on flat tracks Adding test and one day Cricket Wasim Akram was the greatest of them who was more talented ,versatile and dangerous than Glen Mcgrath ,Richard Hadlee or Imran Khan but did not deliver the goods as much when required.Perhaps no pace bowler ever produced such lethal swing.. Imran Khan was not as lethal as Wasim Akram who possessed a greater repertoire of deliveries and overall bowling skill.However Imran was a greater match-winner than Wasim against superior opposition ,who simply turned and won games against top sides like the West Indies,England or Australia.. Hadlee and Imran have been rated slightly ahead of Glen Mcgrath as they had to carry the brunt of weaker bowling attacks and at their peak periods were marginally more impressive in strike rate and gained wins against superior opposition teams. For sheer speed through the air and bowling action Holding was the king of them all ... Curtly Ambrose was the most accurate paceman of all with Joel Garner and the greatest match-winner amongst pacemen of his era being a supreme champion in bowling to win a match in the 4th innings. However Ambrose was a far more predictable bowler than Roberts, Holding or Marshall. Although the ultimate champion on broken tops he was not as effective as Akram or Mcrath on flat tracks Andy Roberts was more versatile than any West Indian paceman Waqar in his peak could have equaled Lillee or Marshall.In his day his strike rate was the best by any paceman after the War and statistically overshadowed Akram.Daryl Steyn is shaping like a modern great in the class of Marshall and Lillee with the best strike rate of all great pace bolwers.He obtains pace and movement on all types of cracks and is devastating at his best.Ambrose,Donald and Waqar were statistically ahead ofHolding or Akram but lacked the skills of such greats. To me Shoaib Akhtar and Jeff Thomson were the fastest of all, but only possessed pace, unlike the great fastmen.Wes Hall and Ian Botham were unlucky to missout ,both truly great bolwers and match-winners on their day. A very important point is to asses the graet paceman at their peak periods be it Imran,Marshall,Lillee ,Hadlee or Akram.It is worth comparing their strike rates,no of wickets and averages in these periods taking World Series stats into account of Lillee and Imran.

Another criteria is performances in test wins like strike rates ,percentage of wickets and averages.I have used important statistical analyses compiled by S.Rajesh of Cricinfo.to whom I owe my research in the statistical light.I have also adde Ananth Narayan’s tables of analyses.

2.My Ratings

By statistical performance

1.Sydney Barnes
    2. RichardHadlee
    3.Glen Mcgrath
    4.Malcolm Marshall
    5.Dennis Lillee
    6.Imran Khan
    7.Waqar Younus
    8.Curtly Ambrose
    9.Wasim Akram
    10.Fred Trueman
    11..Alan Donald
    12..Dayle Steyn

Rating by .bowling skill

1.Malcolm Marshall
    2.Dennis Lillee
    3. Wasim Akram
    4. Ray Lindwall
    5 Sydney Barnes
    6. Glen McGrath
    7.Michael Holding
    8.Andy Roberts
    9.Richard Hadlee

10.Imran Khan
    11.Curtly Ambrose
    12 Waqar Younus

Overall ratings
    1.Dennis Lillee
    2.Malcolm Marshall
    3.Sydney Barnes
    4.Richard Hadlee
    5.Imran Khan
    6.Glen Mcgrath
    7.Ray Lindwall
    8.Wasim Akram
    9.Michael Holding
    10.Curtly Ambrose
    11.Fred Trueman
    12 Waqar Younus

Stats highlights taken from cvricinfo and Ananth Nataryan from cricinfo blogs.

Best bowling averages in Test wins (Qual: 200 wickets)

tESTS wkts avg str.rt. 5wkt/10 wkt.
    Malcolm Marshall 43 254 16.78 38.1 17/ 4
    Curtly Ambrose 44 229 16.86 44.4 13/ 3
    Waqar Younis 39 222 18.20 35.0 14/ 4

Best test bowler between Jan.1990 and Dec 1997
    tESTS wkts avg str.rt. 5wkt/10 wkt
    Wasim Akram 48 240 20.05 46.4 16/ 3
    Curtly Ambrose 57 247 20.50 52.8 17/ 3
    Waqar Younis 46 232 21.23 40.1 19/ 4
    Allan Donald 36 171 23.27 48.8 9/ 2
    Glenn McGrath 36 164 23.42 53.0 9/ 0
    Shane Warne 62 289 24.08 62.9 12/ 3

Dennis Lillee 31 203 18.27 39.0 17/ 6
    Shaun Pollock 49 223 18.30 47.5 9/ 1
    Wasim Akram 41 211 18.48 42.3 13/ 2
    Anil Kumble 43 288 18.75 44.4 20/ 5

Best bowling performances from 1983-1991
    Richard Hadlee 48 262 19.64 47.4 23/ 6
    Malcolm Marshall 69 342 19.85 44.9 22/ 4
    Joel Garner 30 135 21.28 48.3 5/ 0
    Imran Khan 42 156 21.49 50.5 10/ 3
    Curtly Ambrose 33 140 23.14 56.1 5/ 1
    Wasim Akram 39 143 24.51 58.7 9/ 2
    Courtney Wash 50 174 24.95 56.4 5/ 1
    As a match-winner, Marshall was among the very best again, with 254 wickets at less than 17. Again, only one bowler, Muttiah Muralitharan, has a better average, and one, Waqar Younis, has a better strike rate. Marshall's performances didn't drop much in defeats either: in the nine Tests in which he played in a losing cause, he still managed an average of less than 28.

Bowling strike rate (Bpw) –compiled by Ananth Narayana

Bowler Value Points

Waqar Younis 43.49 10.00
    Marshall M.D 46.77 9.30
    Donald A.A 47.03 9.24
    Trueman F.S 49.44 8.72
    Hadlee R.J 50.85 8.42
    Garner J 50.87 8.41
    McGrath G.D 51.95 8.18
    Lillee D.K 52.02 8.17
    Imran Khan 53.75 7.79
    Ambrose C.E.L 54.58 7.62
    Wasim Akram 54.66 7.60
    Kapil Dev N 63.92 5.61

Performance in won matches (Ananth Narayana)

Bowler Value Points

McGrath G.D 0.492 9.84
    Marshall M.D 0.486 9.73
    Lillee D.K 0.451 9.01
    Waqar Younis 0.440 8.81
    Donald A.A 0.426 8.51
    Trueman F.S 0.419 8.38
    Ambrose C.E.L 0.414 8.27
    Hadlee R.J 0.398 7.96
    Garner J 0.393 7.86
    Wasim Akram 0.384 7.68
    Imran Khan 0.364 7.27
    Kapil Dev N 0.198 3.96

Wasim.Hadlee,Imran and Botham are relatively low which is significant because they were also batsmen.Glenn McGrath’s has extraordinary figures of capturing 414 out of a total haul of 563 wickets wkts in wins at a str rate of 19.19.(capturing 75.3% of his total wickets in wins) Considering his tally of wickets Mcgrath is brilliant. Imran Khan and Richard Hadlee have outstanding averages in wins with Imran capturing 155 at 14.5 .and Hadlee capturing 173 at 13..

% of top order wickets captured (compiled by Ananth Narayana)

Bowler Value Points

McGrath G.D 0.501 10.00
    Donald A.A 0.497 9.92
    Kapil Dev N 0.494 9.84
    Ambrose C.E.L 0.475 9.46
    Lillee D.K 0.468 9.33
    Imran Khan 0.462 9.21
    Trueman F.S 0.453 9.04
    Marshall M.D 0.445 8.87
    Hadlee R.J 0.439 8.75
    Waqar Younis 0.437 8.72
    Garner J 0.406 8.09
    Wasim Akram 0.394 7.86

Bowling accuracy (Rpo) (compiled by Ananth Narayana)
    Bowler Value Points

Ambrose C.E.L 2.31 10.00
    Garner J 2.47 9.12
    McGrath G.D 2.50 8.98
    Imran Khan 2.55 8.74
    Wasim Akram 2.59 8.49
    Trueman F.S 2.62 8.35
    Hadlee R.J 2.63 8.29
    Warne S.K 2.65 8.18
    Marshall M.D 2.69 7.99
    Lillee D.K 2.76 7.61
    Kapil Dev N 2.78 7.49
    Donald A.A 2.84 7.19
    Waqar Younis 3.25 5.02

Bowler percentage contribution in wins wkts in wins
    Bowler
    Stuart MacGill Wickets in wins Average in wins
    165 24.4
    197 21.68
    414 19.19
    155 15.85
    225 27.52
    510 22.47
    254 16.78
    167 23.41
    152 18.36
    233 22.21
    222 18.2
    203 18.27

Jason Gillespie
    Glenn McGrath
    Dale Steyn
    Brett Lee
    Shane Warne
    Malcolm Marshall
    Jacques Kallis
    Michael Holding
    Makhaya Ntini
    Waqar Younis
    Dennis Lillee

Bowling accuracy (Rpo) (compiled by Ananth Narayana)
    Bowler Value Points

Ambrose C.E.L 2.31 10.00
    Garner J 2.47 9.12
    McGrath G.D 2.50 8.98
    Imran Khan 2.55 8.74
    Wasim Akram 2.59 8.49
    Trueman F.S 2.62 8.35
    Hadlee R.J 2.63 8.29
    Warne S.K 2.65 8.18
    Marshall M.D 2.69 7.99
    Lillee D.K 2.76 7.61
    Kapil Dev N 2.78 7.49
    Donald A.A 2.84 7.19
    Waqar Younis 3.25 5.02

Peer comparison of average to own team peer bowlers (analyzed by Ananth Narayana)

Bowler Value Points

Hadlee R.J 1.534 10.00
    Imran Khan 1.377 8.98
    Ambrose C.E.L 1.233 8.04
    Donald A.A 1.197 7.80
    Lillee D.K 1.188 7.74
    Kapil Dev N 1.181 7.70
    Marshall M.D 1.170 7.63
    Trueman F.S 1.169 7.62
    Garner J 1.156 7.54
    Wasim Akram 1.151 7.51
    McGrath G.D 1.149 7.49
    Waqar Younis 1.123 7.32

Bowler Value Points

Imran Khan 25.76 10.00
    Lillee D.K 24.58 9.54
    Kapil Dev N 23.83 9.25
    Hadlee R.J 23.64 9.18
    Marshall M.D 22.97 8.92
    Garner J 22.18 8.61
    Waqar Younis 20.34 7.89
    Donald A.A 20.06 7.79
    Ambrose C.E.L 20.01 7.77
    Wasim Akram 19.56 7.59
    McGrath G.D 19.22 7.46

10. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Dale Steyn is the best fast bowler currently.

Iam sure he will be among the greatest fast bowlers, once he retiree.