Greatest ODI innings

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by the_game, Feb 17, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    I was watching Aravinda's 66 in the 1996 World Cup semi final recently on youtube (I had the pleasure of watching it live too, and it was fantastic to watch it again). Sri Lanka were 2 down in the first over, the Calcutta crowd was going wild, and this guy comes in and he murders the bowling attack ruthlessly. I remember at one point the captain had a predominantly off-side field for him because of his cover drives, and what did he do? He moved over to the offside and smashed the bowlers on the leg side using his wrists. It was a brave, brave knock (no matter how good the pitch was for batting initially). The guy hit 14 boundaries for God's sake!

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/65190.html

Add yours (doesn't have to be a 194 or the fastest century in ODI's; context is key). After having watched so many ODI's over the years, I'm sure I'll come up with a few more.

2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    3rd ODI vs WI: Trinidad 93

Rameez Raja was at the crease when a young Inzamam walked in at number 3. There were 35+ overs to go, with a required rate of 6.1 and Inzi told Rameez 'dont worry about it, there's no rush!'

He then smacked 90 runs off 104 balls against Walsh, Ambrose and Bishop at a time when the Windies were still the no1 team in the world!!

He won Pakistan the match, finishing with a not out!

This gives us a small glimpse into the kind of man Inzamam is and the way his mind works! He has an immense self-belief to go with his ice-cool exterior!

What a legend!!

3. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Inzamam was a legend, especially when chasing.

and i remember D'Silva (thats what our family use to call him), i've seen this guy murdering Wasim and Waqar. Definitely one of the most underdiscussed players on internet forums.

I will share my greatest ODI innings in a few days. Most of my memorable innings are from the late 90's and early 2000's... when ODI's use to be exciting!

4. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    Adam Gilchrists fearless knock of 140+ in the final of the 2007 world cup has got to be up there

5. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    Saleem Malik in Calcutta and Ijaz in Lahore.

6. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar Emerging Player

Mar 18, 2010
    can't think of the best innings I ever saw. guess if I had to pick one - I'd either pick Steve Waugh against South Africa in WC 99 or maybe Gibbs when South Africa chased down Australia's 400ish score.

but coming back to D'Silva... what a player he was. I remember him and Atapattu batting against Pakistan in an ODI triangular in South Africa. Pakistan scored a decent 250ish I think. Sri Lanka chased and the Ws got us off to a good start as always. then Aravinda came in. atapattu was facing, Waqar bowled a low full-toss (I think it was a full-toss, might have been a length delivery outside off) and Atapattu easily pushed the ball through covers for an easy single. Aravinda came on. Waqar bowled the same delivery. Aravinda played the exact same shot... just a gentle push to the covers except this time the ball bisected the fielders and seemed to accelerate to the boundary and away from the fielder. I was watching the game with my mamu who was a fine player in his own right (or at least was in our family) when he was younger. after watching the shot he said that is the sign of a class batsman... notice how both batsmen played the same ball the same way... except one got a single and the other a boundary. that is the difference in class. still remember it to this day.

regardless Aravinda was a hell of a player and one of those rare batsmen who were always a joy to watch because they were capable of producing some magic when they were in the mood.

7. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    MT mentioned this already. Steve Waugh's legendary knock of 120* in a do or die match in the 1999 WC super six stage against South Africa. Australia was in a rut and had to win I think around 6 matches in a row to win the World Cup (starting from the group stages) after both Pakistan and New Zealand had beaten them in the group stages, and Australia carried no points into the super six stage. South Africa scored a formidable total and were in trouble after 15 overs. In came Waugh and and with a must-win situation, scored 120 with a 100+ strike rate. He did not hit tons of sixes, but he was calm and it was the type of situation that Waugh relished throughout his career. Ofcourse, had it not been for his innings, Australia would have lost the match and would not have qualified for the semi. They ended up winning the tournament, and thus this was as much of a captain's innings as it can get (Waugh also played beautifully in the semi after his team was in trouble to set up a total they could defend later on).

8. AZK

AZK Emerging Player

Mar 3, 2010
    from recent memory, YK's 100 chasing 270 odd vs. England in 2006 was a superb innings.

9. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    If we're talking recent memory then Shoaib Malik's decimation of India in the 2009 Champions Trophy has to be mentioned.

He came in to bat with Pakistan reeling at 53/2 and proceeded to score 128 runs at just over a run a ball. He stayed at the crease till the last ball of the 49th over and left Pakistan at 300/7. During his knock 5 wickets had fallen around him but he persevered and ensured Pakistan won the day.

10. ISMBUTT

ISMBUTT Youngsta Beauty

Feb 12, 2010
    Butt sada zindabad...i do too dude...

11. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    Merc, I know you are taking the mickey now :p !

12. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    The innings of Inzamam against India in Karachi during the Jeet lo Dil series, where he nearly took us to the target must also get a mention. It was breathtaking innings, moreso by the way he paced the innings and in the end almost got us through, and hadn't it been for the sheer incompetence of Moin Khan and Co we would have taken the match.

13. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    It'd do you good to remove your blinkers when watching Pakistan play, you may end up enjoying a game or two :D

14. Joseph K.

Joseph K. Youngsta Beauty

Jan 24, 2010
    Saleem Malik against India: Eden Garden, Calcutta, 1987. I had the pleasure of watching that game. We were losing all the time. Then in came Saleem and turned the game on its head single-handedly. He hit Kapil for five consecutive fours. Workers were painting the walls in our house. My late brother picked a brush and wrote on the courtyard wall, 'Saleem Malik nay Kapil Dev ko mar mar key soor bana diya' (Saleem Malik beat Kapil Dev into a swine!) Of course the writing was painted-over next day but that is one game I will never forget:
    http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/145712.html

15. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    I wish I could have watched that live (was a 3 year old at the time, so there was no chance!). Heard a lot of great things about it; glad you mentioned it Joseph.

16. AfridiThelivinglegend

AfridiThelivinglegend Youngsta Beauty

Aug 5, 2010
    My favourite inning is Pakistan Vs Newzeland

When Aamir smashes 73

Pakistan losses the match & series

But

Aamer's inning was superb

17. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Yeah that was a super B innings also ajmal helped to. Shame on pak's batting:(

18. gameboy

gameboy Youngsta Beauty

May 27, 2010
    my favourite inning is when afridi smash century against srilanka in recently held asia cup in damdulla.he come under pressure and nearly got pak home he hit 5 sixes against murli but in the end murali have the last laugh.

19. AfridiThelivinglegend

AfridiThelivinglegend Youngsta Beauty

Aug 5, 2010
    A fantastic inning by afridi

he was unfit but didnt leave the crease

20. iHammad

iHammad Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    this :)

and I would also say Shahid Afridi's recent century vs Sri Lanka in the Asia Cup.

our top order collapsed, but he came out there and played a captain's innings! Whadda playerrr!

21. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar Emerging Player

Mar 18, 2010
    we're talking about the greatest of innings... not good innings.

a lot of innings mentioned can be considered good but not great.

22. iHammad

iHammad Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    Well brother in my opinion that inning of Afridi was great.

And who could forget the fastest century in ODI cricket ever, by Shahid Afridi again! 100 off 37 balls, nobody can accomplish that now!

23. ahmad18

ahmad18 Youngsta Beauty

Aug 3, 2010
    afridi's 37 ball 100 saeed anwar 194

24. Fallen King

Fallen King Banned

Aug 9, 2010
    That was my favorite match too. I believe i also uploaded that series. The series was itself classic. Don't forget Asif also supported Inzimam for the partnership. That was classic inning i've ever seen in my whole life.

25. Fallen King

Fallen King Banned

Aug 9, 2010
    Shoaib Malik - century against India, in CT 2009. That was much needed to stabilize Pakistan team.

Shahid Khan Afridi - century against Sri Lanka, in Asia Cup 2010. That was much needed to repair, but sadly, couldn't finish the game. Overall, the finest inning from Shahid Afridi.

Umar Akmal - debut century in New Zealand - 1st Test. That was one joyous inning i have seen after a long time especially in overseas like New Zealand. I have yet to see someone replace that inning of the best in Test format.

Salman Butt - century against Australia in Australia, 3rd Test, saved the team from embarrassing position with the help of Malik to build partnership. Beautiful inning, and beautiful partnership i have ever seen, but wasn't enough to get the team out of trouble. Khair hai!

26. ahsan_20022

ahsan_20022 Youngsta Beauty

Aug 13, 2010
    No doubt

Sachin Tendulkar's 2003 World cup innings against pakistan was best innings.:mad:

becaz he had to face worlds best bowling trio in tht match tht contained Wasim akram waqar younis and shoaib akhtar.

IT Remains best knock of the decade for me.

and heartening as well

27. Yaser

Yaser Youngsta Beauty

Apr 8, 2010
    Afridi's consecutive 50's last year are up there. Considering how easily Pakistan collapse, he steadied the team, and especially in the final, where many were left aghast at how he restrained himself for the greatest moment of his career, guiding Pakistan to victory in a World Cup Final scoring the winning run.

28. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Yeah Afridi plays good when he comes in at no.3 or 4