Hafeez suspended for illegal bowling action

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Nov 16, 2017.

Hafeez suspended for illegal bowling action

by Shazan Khan
Nov 16, 2017 at 12:23 PM
  1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    prv_1510834697.jpeg
    Mohammad Hafeez has been suspended from bowling for the third time © Getty​

Mohammad Hafeez, Pakistan all-rounder, was suspended from bowling with immediate effect after an independent body found his action to be illegal, on Thursday (November 16). The independent body found that most of the offspinner's deliveries exceeded the 15-degree limit, allowed as per Article 11.1 of the ICC Illegal Bowling Regulations.

The veteran cricketer was reported for a suspect action after the conclusion of the third ODI versus Sri Lanka in October and had to undergo an assessment on November 1 in Loughborough in England.

Hafeez can apply for another assessment test after remodelling his bowling action as per clause 4.5 of the regulations.

Hafeez has now been suspended from bowling on three occasions. In November 2014, the all-rounder's action came under scrutiny during a Test series played between Pakistan and New Zealand and was subsequently suspended from bowling in December. In April 2015, his bowling action was passed as legal by the governing body. However, a few months later, his action was reported during the Galle Test versus Sri Lanka. Subsequent tests found that his action had again exceeded the 15 degree-limit of tolerance

As a result, he was suspended from bowling for a duration of 12 months. As per ICC rues, if a bowler's action is found to be exceeding the 15-degree tolerance twice within a period of 24 months, he would be suspended for one year.

Hafeez did not bowl again in international cricket until earlier this year. The offspinner underwent reassessment of his bowling action at the National Cricket Centre in Brisbane, and was cleared in November 2016.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...d-hafeez-suspended-for-illegal-bowling-action

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2017
Shazan is an admin at Cricistan who also conducts the occasional interview
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
      Seen this coming watching his bowing action against Sri Lanka.
      Is this end for Hafeez? Any coming back from this?

2. Ahson8

Ahson8 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
      They’ll probably still play him as a batsman in the near future, but if he flops he’ll be replaced by Haris.

3. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Member

Nov 8, 2017
      Agree with both BUT Fawad Alam would be a much better choice (not that he will be selected ANYTIME SOON)

Sent from my QMobile i6i using Tapatalk

4. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
      He should only be considered in Test side. In limited overs, Harry and Talat brings much more to the table.

5. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
      If I'm not mistaken then its the 3rd time he was caught (which means he's a serial cheater).

You could be found chucking once and it'd be okay because maybe you didn't know you were.

Second times is a bit of a stretch but 3 times? Seriously...and they still haven't done anything about it...baffling.

This cheat deserves a life time ban on bowling. Otherwise, he'll 're-model' his action again and starts bowling. And after few months will be reported again 4th time.

6. Bilal123

Bilal123 Cricistani

Dec 11, 2010
      The legend will be back soon no need to worry. Cats have 9 lives they say. Hafeez is no less a billi and will be back after just 3

7. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Member

Nov 8, 2017
      @Del . I disagree.
      He is the kind of "busy accumulator" ODI team desperately needs. He reminds me of Michael Bevan in more ways then one.
      Remember, the inning he played against Bangladesh a few years back, chasing that MASSIVE target.
      Any NORMAL Pakistani player would have given up LONG AGO but he never did.
      Sure Afridi took all the praise but do you honestly think he could have won the match if he didn't had Fawad on the other end???

8. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Cricistani

May 4, 2010
      LOL, tell that to the Hafeez who didn't want to play alongside Amir after Amir had done his time.

9. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Cricistani

Jul 24, 2012
      What was quite disappointing was how he continued to bowl against sri Lanka. It seemed the camp was convinced his action was legit or they thought hey he cheating let's see how long we can get away with it for.

10. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
      Hafeez mishandled by PCB, Zaka Ashraf

[​IMG]

LAHORE: Former chairman of Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Zaka Ashraf on Friday expressed doubts over the Loughborough University’s test report after Pakistan all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez’s bowling action was declared illegal for third time in three years.

Zaka said the best places for Pakistan players for bowling tests are South Africa and Australia rather than England and India, who both have a biased attitude against them, while suggesting Hafeez should have gone either to South Africa or Australia for the test.

Zaka also hit out at the PCB for not taking care of players who are reported having an illegal bowling action despite the board setting up its own bio-mechanic lab at a private university in Lahore which still awaits ICC’s accreditation.

The ex-PCB chief added had the local lab been used properly, no such case would have surfaced in the first place.

Zaka also said that seasoned spinner Saeed Ajmal, whose bowling action has also been declared illegal in the past, chose to announce his retirement from cricket due to PCB’s apathy. He said the PCB did nothing to bring an improvement in the long-serving Saeed’s bowling action.

He said a lot of cricketers have been wasted by the PCB just because of mishandling.

Zaka said a good number of talented cricketers ended their careers either because of match-fixing or illegal bowling action, which is clear proof that the PCB lacks expertise in handling the players.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2017/11/17/hafeez-mishandled-by-pcb-zaka-ashraf/

11. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
      No limited side in world (except us) needs him, he wouldn't even carrying towels and water bottles in top 4/5 sides and you're comparing him with Michael Bevan - only in one's wildest dream...

You remember that one innings against BD, well on the flip side, I remember many occasions where he flunked big time against big boys in their backyard. What you do against BD wouldn't remember for long, but what you do against AUS/SA/ENG/IND/NZ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COUNTS THE MOST.

Hafeez/Heckfeez is a champion of making soft runs in asian conditions, but when you put him in challenging circumstances, against the likes of said oppositions, its just matter of time he gift his wicket away. Haven't you seen his batting against top sides? He looks like a deer caught in headlights, struggles massively to rotate the strike, play maiden in middle overs or takes a single after playing 5 dots to repeat the same in next over. And guess what? it kills you innings moment, bring him, his partner and whole team under pressure. This is what he precisely did when we toured AUS and NZ last time.

Bevan was champion of winning the lost battles and most of the time took his side over the line due to his resilience and abilities. This Heckfeez is totally opposite of him in every sense.

Heckfeez was in the side due to his bowling, and not because of his batting (which supposed to be his primary job). Now with the bowling ban, I don't see him hanging long enough, because some tough tours are ahead of us (i.e. NZ upcoming series). He will certainly get some games, because of the seniority cancer runs in our team and culture, but after every failure, the noise to drop him will gets louder!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    12. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
      And ironically he is in favor of Butt's return to the Test side.

13. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Member

Nov 8, 2017
      I NEVER compared Hackfeez to Bevan.
      He is the "Steyn Bunny", remember?

Yes the noise will get louder BUT will it be HEARD? That's the million dollar question.

I compared FAWAD ALAM to Bevan.
      We NEED someone like Fawad, who gels the innings together, takes singles, rotates the strike (especially in a chase), etc because everyone else.......
      Is busy wasting precious balls.

In current team, only Malik and Azam are "rotators". They pace their innings.

14. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2011
      He is what, 38? Time to move on. But will most likely feature at the 2019 WC lol.

15. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
      Let me ask a simple question, do you think Mickey, Inzi and Co had no plans and they're just keeping Harry with the squad to have fee paid vacations?

Once Heckfeez out, which he will soon enough now, then its Harry's turn, who has higher sealing compare to Fawad. Fawad should only be given go-ahead in Test, the format suits him.

Along with Harry next one should be with the team is Talat, because both are younger then Fawad and bring much more to the table.

16. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Member

Nov 8, 2017
      Maybe they do but it sure doesn't look like it. If it were, then he might have gotten a game during the SL ODI series, everyone else got one.
      What it did look like was that they were teaching him how to "worm the bench".

Fawad can be one of the openers in Tests.
      Haris does bring another bowling option to the table. Maybe with time given, he can be Moen Ali of Pakistan.
      Plus Hassan Ali's batting is improving as well.

17. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
      FYI - Harry was carrying an injury in ODI's.

Don't know where you pulled that from, don't think it will ever get materialized.

Yes, Harry and Talat both can roll their arms for few.

Hassan is handy with the bat and can hit big, but its Faheem should we need to invest into more, because he possess more potential with bat. If its in my power, then Faheem would play ahead of Imad, who'll be impotent in places like AUS/NS/SA etc.

18. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Member

Nov 8, 2017
      Oh. I didn't knew that he was injured.

From the wish to have STABLE openers, never said that it would be materialized as well.

Faheem looks like a good prospect but should be given time to develop his batting further.
      Even Razzaq took some three years after his debut to develop his batting enough to compete with international teams.
      PCB will have to be extra careful not to turn Faheem into another Azher Mahmood. (in tests, he was prematurely promoted up from 6, his RIGHTFUL place)

19. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Cricistani

May 4, 2010
      He's such a hypocrite! He was against the gullible teenager from a less sophisticated background who quickly confessed for the wrong he committed and was remorseful from the start but now he supports the ring leader who was supposed to lead and inspire his players and who, afterwards, kept lying about it to the end.

20. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
      Wasim Akram advises Mohammad Hafeez to focus on batting to prolong Pakistan career

Pakistan fast bowling great, Wasim Akram has advised Mohammad Hafeez to give up bowling and just focus on his batting in a bid to extend his cricket career.

"I think Hafeez should give up bowling now and just concentrate on his batting. Work harder on his batting," Wasim told reporters here.

Hafeez's bowling action has been found to be illegal for a third time by the International Cricket Council (ICC) last month and he has been suspended from bowling in international cricket on Thursday until he clears a biomechanics test.

The ICC decision to suspend Hafeez from bowling came this week after the Pakistani allrounder failed his bowling assessment test held in England.

Wasim said Hafeez should have taken a decision about his bowling even before the ICC match officials reported him and he failed the bowling test.

"I think Hafeez does not realise that he has been bowling a lot and when he bowls a lot he tends to get tired which is natural and that is when I think his elbow extension exceeds the 15 degrees extension allowed by the ICC," Wasim said.

The former captain said there was no doubt that Pakistan required Hafeez's allround skills and he had served the national team well.

But he noted that after the ICC's revised laws on illegal bowling actions, Hafeez should have thought about his career specially after he was first suspended from bowling in 2014.

Hafeez, 37, in fact, had only resumed bowling again last December after completing a 12-month ban and getting his action cleared in Brisbane.

The ICC had banned Hafeez for a year from bowling in July, 2015 and before that also in December, 2014. Wasim said Hafeez should now give up bowling and accept himself in the role of a batsman only.

"He is experienced and he just needs to work harder on his batting and it will be good for his career," he added. Hafeez on Thursday decided to skip going to play in the Bangladesh Premier League and work on his bowling action at the PCB's biomechanics lab at the LUM's university in Lahore.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/wasim-akram-mohammad-hafeez/1/1092159.html

21. godzilla

godzilla Cricistani

May 12, 2016
      who knows, and we'll have to see what the new 'talent' brings to the table, but my guess is this will be a massive hit to the team. he brought a vital balance to an inconsistent side bubbling with over confidence after fluking one tournament and beating a defunct Sri Lanka. there is a reason why we are 6th rated in Odis, t20 mean nothing, you can break wind loudly and move three spots in the table - rankings dont count for much there when theres so much volatility in results.

22. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
      Ajmal offers to correct Hafeez's bowling action 'within a month'

Magician off-spinner Saeed Ajmal on Saturday said he can help all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez correct his bowling stance within a month if the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and Hafeez approach him.

While talking to DawnNews, Ajmal said that Saqlain Mushtaq and Mushtaq Ahmed had helped him correct his bowling action after he was suspended by the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 2014.

Earlier this week, the ICC termed Hafeez's bowling action as illegal and he was suspended for the third time in his career.

Ajmal also expressed concern that ICC was "targetting only Pakistani bowlers" and urged the PCB to take notice.

"If the PCB takes some positive steps [to protect the bowlers], I am hopeful that Pakistani bowlers will not be singled out again for their bowling actions."

Ajmal had expressed similar views in an earlier interview with AFP, where he said: “It seems that the process was meant for me and (Mohammad) Hafeez, all other bowlers with questionable actions are still playing."

Ajmal, who announced his retirement earlier this month, dismissed chances of an international farewell match, saying that the PCB should have thought about it earlier.

"I don't want to beg them [PCB]," he said.

In 2016, however, Ajmal had rejected the national cricket body's offer of a "fitting send-off".

“I have no intention to quit one-day or Twenty20 cricket at the moment,” the 38-year-old spinner had told DawnNews at the time. “I have worked really hard to stage a comeback and my performance in the National T20 Cup reflects that.”

The spinner has now announced that he will retire after the National T20 Cup that is currently being played in Rawalpindi.

"“I played good cricket for Pakistan and for the PCB but in the end, I would not even get to play a good match to end my international career,” he lamented.

“These T20 matches are broadcast live so I decided to grab this opportunity to announce my retirement in front of my fans,” he concluded.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1371330

23. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
      lol this is hilarious, one master chunker offers help to another

24. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Cricistani

Aug 31, 2011
      Three times, this should be a similar offence to match fixing. Guy is intentionally chucking the ball and has been caught red handed for the 3rd time. Should be given a life time ban now for blatant cheating

25. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
      PCB backs Hafeez to rectify bend

[​IMG]

COMPLETE SUPPORT: PCB has said that they will help Mohammad Hafeez in any way possible to clear the bowling action test once he believes he has rectified his bowling action. PHOTO: AFP

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Tuesday issued a media release to reject claims that it is not backing all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez after he received a ban from the International Cricket Council (ICC) due to an illegal bowling action.

Earlier, reports surfaced that Hafeez was asked to refer to the National Cricket Academy (NCA), Lahore to receive guidance to correct his illegal bowling action.

According to the sources, PCB was said to have not hired any expert to help Hafeez rectify the bend in his elbow, which has seen him being banned from bowling for a third time.

The source also revealed that PCB is ready to request the International Cricket Council (ICC) for a rechecking of Hafeez’s action, but after the 37-year-old believes he is ready for it.

An unofficial biomechanics test is also on the cards if Hafeez requests for it before he goes for a formal checking of his action in an ICC credited lab.

“PCB would like to clarify that it stands behind Hafeez and is lending all its support to him to rectify his bowling action,” the media release read. “The PCB will like to state that a bowling action review committee has already been setup with Ahsan Raza, Ali Zia, Saleem Jaffar, and Sajjad Akbar as its members. The committee has been tasked to provide all possible training and assistance to rectify Hafeez’s bowling action at par with the ICC standards.”

It added: “On the recommendations of the four-member committee, Hafeez will work on his action at the National Cricket Academy and after every 10 days will undergo a test at the biomechanics lab setup in Lahore University of Management Sciences. The committee will then analyse the reports of the tests, and will further guide Hafeez before he proceeds to the official bowling test.”

Hafeez was reported during the third Sri Lanka ODI in the UAE and his biomechanics test reports showed that he had a bend of 20-22 degrees in his elbow.

In result, ICC banned him from bowling in international matches until he reappears for a test and clears it.

Till then, he is allowed to bowl in domestic matches, however, after receiving prior permission from the PCB.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1564580/7-pcb-backs-hafeez-rectify-bend/