1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Hafeez under pressure

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Energy, Jul 6, 2012.

Hafeez under pressure

by Hassam Chaudhry
Jul 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM
  1. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012

mohammad-hafeez-pakistan-cricket-captain.png

Now 31, Mohammed Hafeez in all likelihood, will go down in the books of many as the professor who failed to instruct several lessons. Life in cricket has not been easy for the man from Sargodha as he has often found himself on the fringes of national selection for most of his career. Not the most imposing of characters, Hafeez was one of the several young all-rounders the Pakistani cricket team turned to after their poor Cricket World Cup display in 2003, in which they were eliminated in the first round.

Starting with his early one day international record, a format in which he has played most of his cricket, Hafeez started the proceedings on the brighter side of things when notching up a couple of fifties against Sri Lanka in his first five matches. The state of things continued to progress at a steady rate until the series against South Africa at home where the eventual downfall started to begin abruptly as it was the start of a firm run into poor form. Notching up scores of 5, 7, 20, 1 and 0 in the five games respectively, Hafeez followed up with scores of 0 and 2 in his next two innings against Australia and West Indies and never managed to recover whatever form he possessed again. The lean patch with the bat saw him axed from the national side in mid 2007 and it was only until late 2010 that it all started to come right, at-least in the sarcastic sense.

It took until the May of 2010, when Hafeez ultimately gained a recall from national selectors for the third ICC World Twenty20. Despite the poor for, he showed glimpses of classy stroke-play which lured the selectors to subsequently recall him on the tour of England later that year where he formed a solid opening pair alongside Kamran Akmal. The good form in coloured clothing, sometimes called as the purple patch continued as Hafeez once again saw his way through into the test team against South Africa in the United Arab Emirates with surprisingly little questions. Hafeez ended the year 2010 with a modest batting average of 28 and a bowling average of 51. The selectors however decided to stick with the professor and the year 2011 saw instant results.

What followed was undeniably the start of an inspiring and rejuvenated Mohammed Hafeez as he went on to record his first ever international century on the New Zealand tour in early 2011 with fashion. The year 2011 had been the most kind thus far to Hafeez as in the following ICC Cricket World Cup 2011, he started the tournament with a few poor scores with the bat, but remained ever-consistent with the ball. Furthermore, Hafeez went on to score two more centuries in both one-day internationals and test cricket to add to his tally efficiently and remained useful with the ball and in the field. In summary, the man averaged a healthy 38 with the bat and 28 with the ball to round off 2011. The multifaceted puzzle finally appeared to be falling back into place until life continued to see the year 2012.

hafeez image 1.png

The year 2012 saw the birth of the old Mohammed Hafeez as he failed to deliver with the bat against the English in the United Arab Emirates and more recently the Sri Lankans in Sri Lanka. In between that, surprisingly the man stormed his way to a fantastic display of all-round skill in the Asia Cup. On the entire however, Hafeez has little to show this year with a batting average of under 20 but clings on to a very healthy bowling average of 31 across the mean of all formats. Having said that, the professor recently reached a career high milestone when moving ahead of Pakistan's premier bowler in Saeed Ajmal to take second spot in the ICC one-day internationals bowlers rankings. The Express Tribune quoted the news as the following:

"Mohammad Hafeez underlined his increasing importance to an in-form Pakistan side by storming to second position in the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) player rankings for One-Day International (ODI) bowlers."

The latest performance of Mohammed Hafeez in test cricket on tour of Sri Lanka has been quietly impressive once again with both the willow and the cherry as he breezed his way to just four short of a double century in the second test in Colombo while claiming a handy 3/55 at Galle in the opener. Having been recently appointed the captain of the ship for the ICC World T20 2012, it remains to be seen whether the professor redeems himself to answer every critic on the field of play or has he met the definition of a purple patch with immense precision. The dilemma remains very much on the complicated side for Hafeez as he strives to meet his authentic identity in the sport. Few consider him as an opening batsman who can bowl, whilst the majority looks upon him as a bowler who can bat occasionally, though there lies a convinced group that considers him not worthy of being in the national team in the first place, all but adding to his individuality crisis.

Anticipating the future, the expectations from the selectors and fans alike have towered, the pressure has increased and so have the responsibilities, but that holds little excuse in the scheme of things as if Hafeez wants to fit the bill of being the best all-rounder in the current national side, it will be best required of him to see through all acknowledged barriers with effectiveness.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
Hassam writes with a statistical bent and also helps run the Cricistan Virtual Leagues too.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
      Just a minnow basher and a FTB. Nothing more, nothing less.

Nice write up, though Energy.

2. Victorious Pakistan

Victorious Pakistan Smooth Operator

Feb 29, 2012
      On the whole another very well written piece by Energy Bhai.

I must admit i don't want to write another long piece on Hafeez as i feel i have written enough on him in previous threads, But in saying that there is a couple of things which i will say here.

One of them being, and i simply agree with NO 1 AFRIDI FAN, when she quite rightly say's that he is nothing more then a minnow basher and that has been seen many a time. He is nothing more then a average player.

The other thing i will just quickly add to this is i don't agree with what Energy Bhai has said and i quote this:

Now im guessing this refers to all formats but T/20's more, since he is Captain of the side, so i will give my opinion based on T/20's and the players we have used in recent series.
      I actually think, looking at recent performances and the team we have, that the "Expectations" have decreased. I mean i don't think anyone in there right mind and hope/optimism aside can think we can win the T/20 world cup with this side, in particular with this batting unit. In saying that, that will only decrease the pressure and expectation levels on him as a player and most probably the team on the whole.
      Previously Pakistan fans have tended to think we can beat anyone with our teams and quite rightly, but recently and i mean last year or so, this has faded with the performances the fans have seen from the T/20 side. So in saying that i don't think he will have high expectations or extra pressure from the fans, far from it.

In saying all what i have above, i do think though he won't get away with anything but the team giving a decent show in the T/20 world cup, and his personal batting performances increasing, because it simply is not good enough what he has done with the bat recently or the team.

To sum up, i don't think the expectation has increased a lot on the T/20 Team but rather decreased, but has a little on him with his recent performances.

3. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
    4. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
      RapidSnake29 I was referring to expectations in general with him climbing upto the 2nd spot in bowling and after a good 2011, is expected to deliver with the bat properly on a regular basis.

5. Victorious Pakistan

Victorious Pakistan Smooth Operator

Feb 29, 2012
      I See. Well even with a general sense of thing's i still believe what i wrote above implies.
      About him bowling to Rank 2 in bowling, i don't think many fault his ability with the ball and what he has produced over the recent past, but most would agree even with what he has done with the ball recently that giving him Rank2 just shows there is a fault with the Ranking system. Also with Pakistans bowling on the whole, yes i think Pakistan's bowling will have increased pressure on it as always because
      1. Our batting is poor and unreliable
      2. Our bowling is top class and have won us nearly all our won games in the Past couple of years
      3. Without the bowling Pakistan would not be were it is at the moment
      So there is nothing new there.

And with the bat, i don't think anyone expects him to score unless it's on a very flat track and vs a ordinary bowling attack.

6. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
      Top read Energy

I still dunno about Hafeez's pedigree to open but hands down he's one of the side's most reliable bowlers. I always liked Hafeez but I was expecting him to sink when he came back in 2010, happily enough he performed well v England & South Africa. Also hundreds in NZ and WI, along with a fine allround performance in the WC (more with ball than bat), make me think he's turned a corner but I still think we have better openers somewhere. I also didn't like the decision to appoint Hafeez captain--imho he's not suited to the pressure/spotlight of the role and this reflected especially in those T20 games

7. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
      1137moiz that's absolutely right, the last sentence of yours. Being an opener and a top bowler is role that comes under spotlight the most perhaps. We've seen likes of Watson, Johnson, Kallis, Jayasuriya and Gayle deliver that but its a road to far for our Hafeez and the more he's associated with the spotlight, the more he'll harm his career.

8. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
      Good read Energy

With Hafeez once again the nerves seem to be getting the better of him and he's come under more pressure since he's been handed the T20 captaincy which probably came just a little quick to him as he had just started to perform and then was given that added responsibility.

Mentality isn't strong enough to over come these problems he's facing as his bowling isn't the problem as he was even before when he debuted more reliable with the ball as his batting was the 'bits n pieces sort' where he averaged 18 and so until his return to the side and things took a different route altogether where he showed more promise with the bat and that time out had done him good.

But now with T20 captaincy and and the pressure of handling the team and also to open the batting are getting the better of him and mentally isn't able to cope with it hence his batting has gone downhill off late until that 196 a couple of days ago which has somewhat redeemed him again but will have to see for how long though.

9. pak_fan_4_life

pak_fan_4_life Talented

May 14, 2012
    10. umar.shah

umar.shah Youngsta Beauty

Sep 30, 2012
      pakistan lost the match before the first ball indians balled its all in the head

11. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
      Excellent article Energy bhai

His 2013 stats, Batting average of 34. 12 & bowling average of 44.89.

Batting average is hugely inflated by his averages against Zimbabwe ( 232 ) and ireland ( 124 ), take out those two averages and his batting average is only 21. :clap

Now look at his bowling stats, averaging 44.89, only 19 wickets in 28 matches with an economy of 4.

Dont know how he warrants a place in team on the basis of these stats.. he is neither a genuine bowler nor a batsman.

12. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
      This doesn't even fit 1137moiz's category of a poor all-rounder, lol.

13. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
      He is a front line bowler who can bat a bit. ...

Should come in at 7.

14. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
      but we have better spin options.