Hameed: I've been practising against swing

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Jun 21, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Hameed: I've been practising against swing

by Abdul Habib
    21st June 2010

yasir_hameed_pakistan_opening_batsman_nca.png

Yasir Hameed once famously told me that he debuted at the relatively old (for Pakistani cricketers) age of 26 because his cricketing age was also his real age. Today Hameed is on the brink of yet another return to the Pakistan team.

When I ask Hameed how he found out about his selection he reveals that it was through a phone call from a friend.

"I'm at home in Peshawar at the moment and the first I knew about being selected was when I received a call from a family friend. He told me that my name was coming up in the news ticker and that I'd been selected for the England tour. When I got it confirmed I was really happy about getting a chance to redeem myself. I believe I still have a lot to offer Pakistan cricket and I intend to show it on the field." Hameed told Cricistan.com

When we moved onto questions about his weakness against spin and his fishing addiction outside the off stump, Hameed was very vocal about the work he'd done to tackle those problems.

"You have to understand that the hardest part for a professional sportsman is to admit that he does have weaknesses and that there are flaws in his technique which need to be addressed. I've worked really hard on the problems I had against spin and I've done a lot of homework on this specific problem. I believe that I've conquered that demon now and that I wont be facing those issues again. As for my off-stump weakness. I've been using a tape ball to learn when to leave the ball and when to go for it. What I do is take a tape ball and tear up one side of it, then I practise with the ball swinging both ways. It's all about patience and application and I've been working hard on both those things." Hameed said to Cricistan.com

In closing Hameed said he'd like to thank all the fans that support him and to please pray for him and the Pakistan team to be successful this summer.

2. Zain

Zain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 14, 2010
    Just like Manzoor said before a series now out comes Hameed who hasnt played for 3 years :))

3. BALOCH_786

BALOCH_786 Talented

May 5, 2010
    Thats a great way to practice with tape ball. I tried that too before..... Really hard to play. Need alot of skills for that. If he can work on those than he can tackle someone like kulusekra easily

4. waqar_ahmad

waqar_ahmad Youngsta Beauty

Feb 13, 2010
    I was thinking the exact same thing.:))

Wait till anderson bowls a few outswingers to hameed, and we will see how good the practice was

5. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
    Good to see him back.

6. Inferno

Inferno Youngsta Beauty

Mar 19, 2010
    Atleast he is trying to better himselfs, unlike Butt who said something along the lines of Im good as I am..

One of my favourite players, cover drives are real treat to watch

7. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Coming back after 3 years from the wilderness and dont really see that he's done much in the recent domestic season to earn a recall. Well anyways best of luck to him on his comeback!

8. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

His cover drives were really good to watch! ;)

9. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Back in 2006, I felt Hameed was the best batsman we had after Inzi, YK and MoYo.

Unfortunately he never progressed the way I was expecting.

10. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    This guy can play. just needs to learn how to convert decent 70s into big hundreds. struggled against kumble but shouldn't have been dropped earlier. he is/ was better than many young players

11. cricket2me

cricket2me Youngsta Beauty

Apr 30, 2010
    he was not allowed to progress. even after scoring 50s he was dropped. I loved this guy and he was one answer to our opening problems, but the management once again made a mockery out of his career

12. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    True to a certain extent. I also felt and do feel that he had lots to offer. However a new comer needs to be given a consistent run. He had scores behind him. A few failures shouldn't have prompted his exit. He had weaknesses and once a batsman comes on the international circuit, his weaknesses tend to get exposed very quickly. But the best way in Pakistani cricket is to let him play and allow him to overcome his weakness. Which didn't happen.

13. Gulli-boy

Gulli-boy Youngsta Beauty

May 14, 2010
    To be honest, hameed was one of my favourite guys to watch, his strokes were beautiful in full flow, fair enough he was dropped for fishing and his weakness against spin but compared to the likes of Farhat and Iqbal, his average was way better, he's got a decent average against the aussies and new zealanders. I really hope he's sorted it out and performs well inshaAllah! I want to see those exquisite cover drives in Lords!!

14. BALOCH_786

BALOCH_786 Talented

May 5, 2010
    I second that!! most awesome strokes i've ever seen with the bat

15. Cricket_MN

Cricket_MN Youngsta Beauty

Mar 25, 2010
    As for my off-stump weakness. I've been using a tape ball to learn when to leave the ball and when to go for it.

I am all for giving second chance provided if the batsmen have improved and so deserve a second chance but what is this about practicing with tap ball so that he can leave them out side the off stump.
    If that is how he has been practicing then I don't think he will succeed in England seam friendly pitches. This guy made balaji look like one of the greats and too at home (flat pitches).
    Does anyone know how he has been doing at the domestic level as compared to others to deserve this call?

16. BALOCH_786

BALOCH_786 Talented

May 5, 2010
    Very decent, in his recent First class matches (test match version in pakistan domestic circuit) he scored the following while playing for PIA:

Last match-
    1st inning 85
    2nd inning did not bat

2nd Last match-
    1st inning 180
    2nd inning 12 (runout)

17. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    I was always a fan of his. I believe he wasn't given a chance or many chances like others because this man would have progressed much better.

I know Bob Woolmber worked very hard with him but at that point he simply didn't get it. However whenever he got a chance later on he basically showed us he had learn but was dropped anyway.

At one point he was the 2nd most valuable wicket within ODI's after Inzi.

18. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    I for one hope he is picked ahead of Farhat who is woeful to say the least. Hameed couldn’t have had a better chance to cement his spot within the team, although it will be a stern test facing some quality swing bowlers which both Australia and England have at the moment. I guess time will tell whether he’s learnt from his previous mistakes (I certainly hope so anyways).