Hammad Azam

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Aufhebung, Oct 2, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. AZK

AZK Emerging Player

Mar 3, 2010

pretty much spot on, he was treated roughly but frankly speaking he was quite fortunate to be picked so early in the first place.

2. Syrience

Syrience Youngsta Beauty

May 11, 2012
    I just watched he's batting display against Sri Lanka where he produce a magnificent display of 96, a couple of things I noticed is he reminds me of Amla, both are careful with what they choose to go after, similiar batting stance and all that....what I'm trying is maybe you're right, but I doubt he will be given a chance to open for us in the ODIs.

3. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Azhar not getting chance right now is something which is out of our hand. But if I understand my game than surely by the end of 2013 he & Nasir will be our regular openers in ODI & may be test too.

4. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Here's how I see it. Since 2010 I keep hearing that we shouldn't play XYZ allrounder regardless of their performance because Hammad is young and talented and should be groomed. Two years later he's still young and talented and should be groomed while XYZ allrounders are kept out.

My view is Hammad can eventually become a very good player InshaAllah and possesses the ingredients. But if we're going to be keeping out a white-hot Azhar Mahmood, or a promising Ehsan Adil, or a fading but dangerous Abdul Razzaq on account of Hammad's youth and promise without performance to back it up, that's where I havea problem. Pakistan should pick its best XI. If Hammad was performing as well as say Mahmood has been recently, I'd prefer Hammad because he's young and performing. But if it's a contest between an old but in-form Mahmood and a young but non-performing Hammad, I'll have the former every time.

In my view, it's lack of confidence and certainty about his own role holding Hammad back. Best thing he can do is focus primarily as a batsman and only a part-time bowler (which seems to be the case now and a step in the right direction), notch up a big score or two, get to an A tour and develop his game further, then get into the side

5. Prince of Pakistan

Prince of Pakistan Talented

Jun 16, 2012
    The problem is that he hasn't had a proper run with the bat and that's why judging him becomes difficult or unfair.

Even in domestic he isn't consistenly getting a chance to have a long bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    I don't realy agree as far as domestic games go. Hammad's had plenty of middle-order opportunities, he's even opened a few times and done moderately well. At the end of the day, it's up to him to perform. He gets out in the 20s far too often for my liking--this is in first-class, not one-day, games--and with the ball he's more a guzara part-time arrangement than especial threat. (Same goes for Umer Amin.) Bottomline is that if you want to get to the XI of a national team you need more than just talent and hype to get you there, you need to be knocking the selectors' door down.

I'm sure that InshaAllah in future years Hammad Azam will significantly play for Pakistan and do well. But at the moment he doesn't deserve to be in the 2nd XI, never mind actual team, on performance.

7. Prince of Pakistan

Prince of Pakistan Talented

Jun 16, 2012
    He did not even deserve to be dropped for the last int. game he played. That's my point. He has got limited chances to be really rated. What we only have are first impressions. I am no way saying that he is a complete package but a talented youngster like him deserves a proper run. In t20 maybe if not ODI.

He needs to bat consistenly in the top five in domestic cricket to spend some quality time on the crease. Ofcourse that is not only in his hands but I hope sincerely hope he doesn't go the Malik/Razzaq(for example) route to become a 'bit of everything' player for Pakistan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    2 of Hammad's innings, the 36 against Windies (which iirc was his first knock?) and the 30 against Bangladesh were really impressive. That cameo against England in the T20 was OK but nothing really more. However in the 36 he consolidated well in a tense chase and in the 30 he counterattacked and built a delightful partnership with Umar Akmal. Interestingly on both occasions he hit a free hit for six

9. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Some times bad domestic players makes good Intl players because they can control their nerves on the big stage and perform.

And vice versa.

10. taqvi

taqvi Emerging Player

Feb 5, 2011
    yup i will be having the last laugh after 10 years and you can look for another senior citizen idol as im sure misbah wont be around lol

11. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    I remember those 2 innings, they were pretty decent. I think Pak needs to invest in this guy and see where he stands after 5 ODI series in the team. There's nothing to lose really, especially when considering he will be replacing malik

12. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    5 series is about 25 matches. For someone who's not even the best domestic all-rounder in the country, that's a lot of experimenting

13. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    how do u rate his batting??

btw who in your opinion is best alrounder in pakistan atm??

14. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Fawad Alam. His batting is okay, but he hasn't even set the domestic stage on fire

15. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    :rofl :rofl

fawad is the best alrounder around?? people do call me dumb sometimes but u seriously top me bro :rofl

16. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Guy has an average of over 58 in FC.

17. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    with the ball?? :rofl

18. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    He has age on his side and seemed like a competent cricketer in the few games he has played. He may not be spectacular but give him a try and who knows he may develop into a fine all rounder. I'm pretty sure there aren't many better all rounders out there else they would have been given a chance

19. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    We need a replacement for Malik, he can bowl well enough for that!

20. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    this thread is not about malik's replacement unfortunately!! this is about hammad azam :) anyway good to see u finding malik's replacement but forgetting that abdul RAZZAQ n yaser arafat also play in the same team as does malik!!

no doubt malik has been n still a pathetic player but then we don't want anyone in his place who can't even clear the inner circle!! odi's n t20's are not about 100 ball 50's i'm afraid.

21. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    He's got a strike rate of around 80 in his LOI's. Razzaq and Arafat are only in T20's!

22. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Fawad Strike Rates

Odis - 74
    Tests - 57
    T20s - 115

Dont understand your obsession with inner circle.

23. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    74 n 115 in loi's

wow just wow... in short he murders bowling attacks!!

i hope they take him to s.a :rofl

24. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    You said 50 off 100 balls which was wrong.

Pls do not exaggerate things if you hold a personal grudge against someone.. I know why you love him so much.

25. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Still not 50 S/R, not even in tests.

By the way, he played against England in England and Australia in Australia in 10 of those matches, I believe

26. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    i said that sarcastically :facepalm

hahaha he didn't run away with my lunch back in school days so no point holding grudge against him... its just his lack of ability which makes me right against him.

27. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Fawad Alam's a batsman, long time since he bowled regularly and even longer since he bowled effectively.

If you want a spin-bowling allrounder we have Tahir Khan, Qaiser Abbas, Zohaib Khan, Saad Nasim, Yasim Murtaza, and Mohammad Nawaz

28. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    I think if we're talking allrounders then even older players like Azhar Mahmood and Abdul Razzaq are currently better than Hammad imho.

Hammad is a better batsman by far but not utilizing his talent. Actually if you wwant a batting allrounder, Ali Shamsher Khan of Sialkot and Khan RL is a fine talent. Wonderful effortless big hitter who can bat anywhere in the top six and an OK medium pacer. Kamran Sajid is another one, solid top order bvatsman and a decent bowler

29. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    In LOI's, he's more than a decent stop-gap, not that we need one!

30. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Hammad Azam has shown improvement in this years Quid-E-Azam trophy. He got 28 wickets in 6 games with a bowling avg of 11, but wasnt good with the bat