He [Mohammad Asif] was the best fast bowler I had faced: Amla said.

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Jan 14, 2020 at 3:13 PM.

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    South African batsman AB de Villiers has picked Pakistan seamer Mohammad Asif as one of the five best bowlers he has faced during his career.

While speaking to cricket.com.au, the 35-year-old picked the bowlers that caused him the most trouble as a batsman.

“Some seam bowlers, Mohammad Asif from Pakistan, he’s very similar to Hazlewood once again, and Hazlewood also makes in the list and Pat Cummins as well,” said De Villiers. “Obviously, Warnie [Warne], purely intimidation factor, I think he was a good bowler, but he wasn’t unplayable. I always felt comfortable and saw the ball nicely, felt good on the bat, but between him and Gilly [Adam Gilchrist] behind the stumps, it was really intimidating for a 22-year-old to find his feet.”

“I think Broady, Stuart Broad. Broad has come to the party in the last five years. I didn’t rate him early on, but he’s become a really good bowler. He’s sort of got my number over the last couple of series we’ve played. I’ve had these numbers a few times as well, so it’s not just the one-sided thing luckily,” he added.

Last year, De Villiers former South African teammate Hashim Amla had also expressed similar opinion about Asif in an interview.

“Mohammad Asif is the best one, I know Mohammad Asif got banned for spot-fixing but at that stage, he was the best fast bowler I had faced,” Amla said. “I played against Asif in South Africa and played against him in Pakistan in 2007 and if he landed the ball on the fourth stump, I did not know if it was nipping away or nipping in, it tested your defence really to the maximum.”

“Funnily enough, as years have gone by, meeting other cricketers from around the world and chatting with them, many of the guys have said the same thing. Mohammad Asif was a magician with the ball,” he added.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/n...rs-picks-asif-among-top-five-bowlers-he-faced

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Speaks volume about Asif's ability as bowler when players like AB and Amla praise him.

No wonder he was a fantastic bowler but downright pathetic character.

3. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Wasim Akram, Mohd Asif, Shane Warne, Saqlain Mushtaq and Shoaib Akhtar have been the most difficult bowlers ever!!

4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
  5. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
  6. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
  7. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Shahid Afridi you beauty!!

8. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Chawal # 1, shuker hai jan choti and I am not trolling, seriously.

9. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Tell Waqar to do this!! Waqar never did this in his entire career!!

10. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Absolute CLASS bowler. Pure CLASS. But absolute fourth class character...at best.

Such a shame.

11. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Saeed Ajmal!

12. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    And how many times have he done this in his extra long carrier ?

And since you were asking question from Waqar, checkout the following.

13. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Afridi magical bowling.. the look on ganguly face lol

god I miss those days.

playing in India in India and beating them

14. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Mohammad Asif was an angelic bowler.

he was beautiful soulful poetry in motion. He was soothing to watch.

15. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Asif was just a beauty to watch. Can't believe he ruined his career and ruined a golden age of fast bowling for Pakistan. Imagine if he had kept playing for another 6 years.

16. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    And Asif thought smoking chars was even more soothing. That’s the problem.

17. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    It doesn’t matter any more. Wasted talent yes, but who knows how long he would have lasted. Was it just the novelty factor?

We can’t keep singing about what X player said. Ultimately it didn’t lead to anything

18. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Imagine watching him bowl whilst smoking chars, now that would be soothing

19. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Asif still has the unique record of dismissing the highest proportion of top six opposition batsmen in tests in test cricket's whole 150 years history.

Guy was pure natural talent.

20. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Asif was unbelievable, he was the closest thing to a bowler who could make complete fools of the best batsmen not for one ball but ball after ball.

KP said about him:

"The best bowler I faced was Mohammad Asif. The guy from Pakistan who got done for match-fixing and stuff. Probably not a bad thing cos he tormented a lot of batters. Just his ability to make a batsman feel like the ball was accelerating of the wicket in different directions."

Interviewer - "I thought you might have said Mitchell Johnson there."

KP - "Nah. Mohammad Asif by a country mile. If I was in good form, he made sure I wasn't in good form a couple of weeks later after playing him. And if I wasn't in good form, I definitely knew I wasn't after playing him a couple of weeks in a series."

21. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Cornered Tiger

Oct 5, 2014
    Asif was a rare produce by us and frankly with the advent of two new balls in ODI, he was going to be really instrumental. The best thing about is that he had something most bowlers lacked which was bowling smarts which made him a very fearful bowler and considering his low pace, there was a good chance he was going to have a long career but unfortunately his own actions went against him and PCB decided to invest in somebody else who frankly didnt live up to the expectations especially with the test retirement