I am not someone who craves being captain: Babar Azam

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Pakistan’s prolific top-order batsman Babar Azam has said that he is more interested in scoring runs than leading the national cricket team.

Babar’s name is being considered as a replacement for current Skipper Sarfaraz Ahmed, after Pakistan’s miserable performance in the 2019 International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cup created significant backlash against the team.

The right-handed batsman, however, stated that he was not looking forward to a leadership role and was instead focused on scoring runs.

“I’ve never really thought about captaining Pakistan and have in all honesty only thought about playing for my country. I am not someone who craves being captain and am more interested in scoring runs for Pakistan,” said Azam

Babar believes that Sarfaraz has done a fine job but stated that the final decision, on changing captain, would be taken by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

“The Board will decide who the captain or captains are and the players of course abide by their choice. In fact I think Sarfaraz Ahmed is fine and is doing a good job at the moment,” he said.

Babar is currently playing for the Somerset County Club in the Vitality Blast 2019.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/babar-azam-not-interested-in-captaincy

2. Shaz130

Shaz130 Emerging Player

Dec 29, 2016
    Never felt he was captain material anyways.

3. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    But he has captained. He's captained Pakistan A and also in U-19 cricket so it can't be that he's not captaincy material. He's captained for a good 4 years.

4. Shaz130

Shaz130 Emerging Player

Dec 29, 2016

He’s not captaincy material cause the dude shows zero personality of a leader. He is a great batsmen but as a dude who you trust to lead your team he is not. He may have leadership experience but remember this is captaincy of a nation that is willing to slander your family if you lose a game to India. Could he cope with the pressure of leading the side and keeping his batting improving? I doubt it.

5. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Yeh you are right, he's not captaincy type but maybe a good vice captain if given the role? Maybe in 7-9 years Babar could be an option.

6. Shaz130

Shaz130 Emerging Player

Dec 29, 2016
    Maybe, my vision for him is not as a captain. Its to being our most successful batsmen from this country who breaks all the honorable records in batting. I have been looking at our records lately in ODI’s S.Anwar has scored the most centuries which are 20. I want Babar to surpass that. If he does it will help us create a batting culture we always wanted. Its about time we take our batting to the next level. The only way to do that is to focus on whats right for our country.