I felt I required some seniors: Babar Azam

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Oct 27, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    ISLAMABAD - Pakistan’s new T20 Skipper Babar Azam request reportedly rejected by PCB. Babar Azam wanted to have senior players such as Muhammad Hafeez and Shoaib Malik in the side for the Australia tour but the PCB officials shot down the suggestion.

Before the team's departure, it has emerged that head coach and chief selector Misbah-ul-Haq had discussed the selection of players with Babar and both agreed on the selection of Hafeez and Malik.

But apparently some top officials in the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) advised them not to pick them, throwing open a debate on how much authority was enjoyed by the head coach and the captain.

Asked if he was consulted for team selection, Babar said, "I had given my input for selection of the squad. I felt I required some seniors but it is decision of selectors."

Babar recently said he wants to emulate captains like England's Joe Root and India's Virat Kohli but surprisingly the full video of his press conference on October 25 does not include those comments.

The video is available on the PCB's official website.

Babar said though captaincy adds to pressure but with the support of his teammates, he was confident of handling it.

"I have belief in myself and my batting. Captaincy is a new responsibility and I will try to take everyone along and form a combination. It is clear that If players support you the team does well. So I want everyone to perform. I I will try to keep the environment of the dressing room healthy and positive. We must enjoy playing for Pakistan and not take pressure," he said.

https://timesofislamabad.com/27-Oct...babar-azam-request-reportedly-rejected-by-pcb

2. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Well, he got Usman Qadir.

Qadir is quite of a Senior.

3. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
  4. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    What seniors?? Babar is a paindu and definitely will flop as a captain. Seriously where is his own decision making???

5. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    That’s the whole idea.
    He is showing signs of a weak mindset. He is scared that he will fail as a captain and/or his batting will go drastically down, so he is already creating a cushion of excuses that he will later use under the premise of. “I told you so”.
    It’s kind of a shame when you look at this kind of under-confidence in the approach and compare it with, for example Tim Head.

Tim was made the test captain in the absence of Smith. Tim was and Tim is, a very ordinary player. But look at his confidence and approach.
    Watch a couple of his post match media conferences and you will feel like he has got everything he needs to do the job and there is no better than him in the team to lead.
    He doesn’t give a shit about Warner and Smith missing in the team or if their absence has created any gaps. He doesn’t even mention them.

6. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    No idea what he wanted such seniors for? Is he wanting them there to help with his decision making or is he wanting them there for their output as a player? Surely output as player comes first. If he's wanting their experience to help with decision making then sack him asap. That's solely his job now.
    You need players who can compete vs Stokes and Butler calibre, Malik and Hafeez aren't the type no more. Need to build for the next world cup