Ian Pont: Napier’s Omission From England T20 Squad is a ‘Big Mistake’

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Mar 14, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    graham_napier_english_cricket.png

Ian Pont, the fast bowling coach who worked with Graham Napier for 3 years, claims the England selectors have made a big mistake by leaving out the Essex all rounder. England recently named a 30-man squad to be trimmed down ahead of the world cup tournament in the West Indies in April but Napier’s name didn’t appear.

Napier, who is currently out in the IPL playing for the Mumbai Indians is the world’s leading wicket taker in T20 domestic cricket, a fact that Pont claims deserves a place in the England squad in it’s own right. ‘’I am not sure how much more Napes can do and we are hardly blessed with an overload of amazingly talented fast bowlers’’ said Pont. ‘’He was made for T20 and his stats stack up better than most with the ball. But when to add to the balance his explosive hitting, it’s hard to understand the mentality of him being overlooked.’’

Napier’s fortunes started to turn at Essex after working with Pont when the coach was brought in by the then captain Ronnie Irani. Following technical work Napier and Pont also formed a partnership on The Fast Bowler’s Bible too, when Pont chose Napier’s action as the model for this publication. ‘’His action is excellent, repeatable and full of pace. And the wickets he has taken show he can deliver.’’

Being left out is also a fact that Napier admits is a setback. ‘’I’m deeply disappointed not to be involved in the England squad, having played well in Twenty20 cricket over the winter. I feel Twenty20 is a form of the game that suits me well and the more experience I’ve gained in it the more effective I have become. There is an opportunity for me over the next few weeks – as one of only eight English players involved in the IPL – to show the England selectors what they are missing out on.’’

Pont, who is now fast bowling consultant with Northants added, ‘the answer is better, flexible thinking for ‘go to’ players like Napes. There are some coaches and advisors out there with old, set in their way views somehow getting into the ear of decision makers. That’s a great pity.’’