1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

ICC postpones T20 World Cup due to Covid-19 pandemic

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Munna, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    The ICC has postponed the 2020 men's T20 World Cup, a decision made because of the uncertainty caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. The decision to put off the tournament, originally scheduled for October-November, was taken by the ICC Board on Monday. The board has also shifted the 2023 Men's World Cup from the February-March window to October-November that year.

The board agreed to windows for three men's events, with T20 World Cups in October-November 2021 and October-November 2022. One decision not yet made is in which order Australia and India will host the T20 World Cups. In the original calendar, India was scheduled to host the event in 2021 but Cricket Australia. (CA) has expressed a preference to host the postponed event next year. The Women's World Cup, in New Zealand in February next year, has not yet been postponed, the ICC saying that planning for the event continues "as scheduled".

Though it has taken some time, the announcement isn't a surprise given that Cricket Australia had reiterated more than once that it was going to be difficult to host the tournament during the pandemic with 16 teams taking part. After the then CA chief executive Kevin Roberts had said in May that it was a "very high risk" to conduct the tournament, the CA chairman Earl Eddings echoed that pessimism in June, saying it was "unlikely" and "unrealistic" when the pandemic was "spiking" worldwide.

Australia has been relatively less affected by Covid-19 than most countries, with 3026 active cases as on Monday, but Melbourne and surrounding areas are currently back in lockdown and cases are rising in New South Wales amid concerns over a second wave. International borders, and quite a few state borders, remain closed other than for special cases.

With some of the participating countries including India, South Africa and Pakistan among the most severely affected by the pandemic, the risks of bringing together 16 teams from around the world and creating a bio-secure bubble are seen as too high.

On May 27, the ICC said in a media release that reports of "a postponement" of the T20 World Cup "are inaccurate and planning for the event continues whilst a number of contingency plans are being explored". The ICC Board has met several times since April to discuss contingency planning and was meant to make a final decision on the T20 World Cup during a meeting on June 10, but eventually deferred the call. Monday's Board meeting was attended by all the directors including the global body's interim chairman Imran Khawaja and BCCI president Sourav Ganguly.

More to follow...

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29502051/icc-postpones-t20-world-cup-due-covid-19-pandemic

2. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Laanat

But I rather the world Cup happen when everybody is game fit and crowds are a part of it.

Doesn't change the fact its very scummy of ICC to do this.

3. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Yeah man ... I was so dearly looking forward to it.

As posted into another thread, I had Pak games tickets purchased at Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane venues. Hotels booked, flight tickets purchased and all prep done for a 3 weeks family vacation trip to Australia.

Whoever ate that bat in China <<~~ teri maa ki aankh.

4. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    Great, just frigging great.

5. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Yikes! well hopefully you're fully refunded and you are able to book it all again!

6. thair9999

thair9999 Emerging Player

Oct 17, 2010
    Lucky that family will go with you for Cricket matches. Mine became too American and cricket is boring for them.

7. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Yeah, the only niggle I had was with Qantas.
    I don't know whether they played dumb or they are really this stupid?
    They cancelled our flight tickets without my consent, and issued $13,000.00 worth of flight voucher that must've been used within two months. And I was like, WTF ??

So I picked up the phone and tried to call to speak with the customer service .... yeah right! The hold time was 10 hours and 27 minutes.

I posted the message on another travel forum and someone told me to call them at 3:00 AM in the morning - which I did. The hold time was 2 hours and 20 minutes, which obviously went for over 3 hours till I finally spoke to someone. They agreed to refund instead of flight vouchers, but the process time is 10 weeks to get my money back. So I am waiting. Fingers and legs crossed.

Yeah right.
    She HATES cricket to death. And kids don't understand it all.
    So I had to lure them into it with lots of other events and sight seeings (going on top of Sydney Harbor Bridge, feeding the baby kangaroos, Opera House, dinning at some good halal restaurants, visiting some caverns and whatnot). They were more interested in Australia rather than in cricket.

While for me, I have done it all so vacations for sight seeing is meaningless to me. I do it only for them.
    But yeah, if there is a cricket, then I will gladly travel. :)

Lets hope they schedule it soon and I will try to plan again.

Where you located in the United States?

8. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    A shame really. 2020 has been a disastrous year overall

9. thair9999

thair9999 Emerging Player

Oct 17, 2010
    Thanks for the Tips, I will use them in future.

I am in the Suburbs of Washington, DC.

10. Austin 3:!6

Austin 3:!6 Youngsta Beauty

Jul 29, 2015
    Stop getting jealous my dear padosis...hehe

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk