If not Sarfraz as Test captain then who?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Jan 9, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Who is the ideal replacement for Sarfraz? Most are saying it needs to change but who would you replace him with?

Do we keep Sarfraz in the shorter formats as the leader and choose someone else as captain for tests?

And finally without the captaincy does he deserve to continue with his spot as Wicket keeper?

Some big decisions to be made. Discuss...

2. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Sarfraz may retire from tests, if he doesn't PCB should sack him as test captain and drop him since he doesn't warrant a place in the side as a batter.

Pak need to back a young captain. There is no obvious replacement so they need to take a risk and allow a young skipper to make his mark, someone like Babar Azam to come of age and create his legacy.

Regarding the shorter formats, nothing will change until the WC is over so there is enough time. If Sarfraz shows poor form with the bat from now until and including the WC, his place in the side wouldn't be justified then he should be dropped. If he does well, let him continue.

What do you think?

3. harsha

harsha Youngsta Beauty

Nov 17, 2013
    I'd look at a bowler to be the captain. Preferably one who can bat too. Failing which, a Babar Azam can be one. Sarfaraz isn't captaincy material and it always makes sense to have one captain for all the formats. Remove him from captaincy and give him a few series to see if his performances are upto the mark as a wicketkeeper batsman and a senior player. If he proves that he can perform, keep him.

4. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    We have ample amount of time before next TEST series to sort things out.

There is no obvious choice, so certainly PCB has to make decision based on available resources. I really hope they dont make Azhar captain again.

Apparently, it seems like PCB has to go with a young guy. There are no obvious name(s), so you have to take the gamble. I can think of either Babar or Shan atm.

Babar has captaincy experience too, however, I heard that he has soft personality. On contrary, Shan has impressed with his hard-work, consistency in this game and work ethics.

That said, what I am not certain about is cricket acumen of these two individuals, which is a must in skipper's resume.

And as for Sarfu playing as WC in Test side, sure give him few series, but if he fails to make good contribution towards the total, then he would have to make way for Rizwan.

5. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    The problem is that none of the other players are even sure of their place in the side.

I mean right now there are 4 automatic picks to even play a test match(barring sarfraz). No other player is established enough to be an automatic pick.

Azhar just because of his seniority.
    Babar recently performed consistently
    Yasir is a UAE beast.
    Abbas is in the middle of a purple patch.

Babar and Abbas still arent established in the side.

Yasir doesnt do much outside of UAE.

It leaves just Azhar Ali.

6. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Pakistan fans get carried away just keep him as captain.

7. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
  8. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
  9. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Stop being so fickle, I said the same thing and before going to sleep I was like wth man that’s just stupid, maybe after one or two years but no way now.

10. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Its just the way Pakistan cricket works man, Misbah was appointed captain out of the blue and he did pretty well in tests lol. Just got a gut feeling it could be the same with Shan.

11. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Any idea if he has any experience of captaincy in his resume?

12. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Has captained for PAK A. A few games in domestic too, I think. He's a decent captain unlike Rizwan who is terrible and has no clue about captaincy lol

13. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Misbah came when we had no other option, right now it’s just silly, what if Shan fails will you call for his head in ten months?

14. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    He won't do worse than Sarfraz as a batsman. I would be fine with Sarfraz if he was batting well, there's not much wrong he's done tactically

15. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Anyhow, Sarfraz is probably gonna step down himself after this test if reports are true, and Shan is a better option than the others for me. I hope they don't go for Shafiq, I'd much rather they stick to Sarfraz than that lol

16. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Pakistan A captaincy, hmm ... I thought Umar Amin was the captain.

But as long as Shan has some experience then I am good. He looks level headed person with much high level of intellect compared to his peer's.

17. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    they have such an awful side, with failed investments and totally whimsical new picks that theyve left themselves no choice but to keep sarfraz as captain.

the top 7 should be the following or something thereabouts, and once theyve settled youd pick a captain. they have no choice but to pick the rotten fruit from that they themselves have sown:

1. fakhar
    2. Azhar
    3. haris
    4. alam
    5. usman
    6. saud/saad
    7. sarfraz/rizwan

8. bowling or spinning all rounder depending on conditions

9. unsettled
    10. unsettled
    11. abbas

18. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
  19. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Where is Yasir in this?

He should be the first name on Test sheet for Pakistan.

20. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    only in the uae. which is why theres a slot at 9 or 10 for him,

21. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    He has excellent record in SL & WI too. Not bad in Bangladesh and had played only 10 Tests in SA, Eng, NZ & Australia. I am sure the more he play in these conditions he will get his record straight.But our stupid management played him on pacer friendly pitches and where he was wanted like in the current test he was dropped.

22. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Tracer Bullet

Dec 26, 2011
    Nobody, unfortunately.

23. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Tracer Bullet

Dec 26, 2011
    Steps down & retires, Inshallah.