1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Imran Khan breaks silence on departmental cricket fiasco

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, May 7, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 21, 2016
    “All around the world there are regional teams, whereas Pakistan is the only country where sponsors have teams, this happens nowhere else,” PM said while talking to the media. The former World Cup winning cricket captain said that the current system is not allowing the talent to come through.

“I have been asking for this structure to be fixed since my cricket playing days… because the problem is that the current system in Pakistan is such that is stopping the talent from coming through and we must change that,” he said.

Adding to his point on promoting regional cricket, the Prime Minister gave the example of the Pakistan Super League (PSL), saying that cricket fans from Quetta were following PSL despite the fact that no player from Quetta was playing in the tournament.

Speaking about fellow cricketer Javed Miandad’s criticism over the decision to end departmental cricket, the PM said, “Javed [Miandad] has his own opinion”. Miandad, along with squash legend Jahangir Khan, had earlier voiced his disapproval over PM’s decision.

“I can say with surety that if it wasn’t for PIA, Jahangir Khan wouldn’t be Jahangir Khan,” Miandad said. “People want jobs, no one wants to play cricket or hockey. Their helplessness is being taken advantage of,” he added.

https://www.brecorder.com/2019/05/0...reaks-silence-on-departmental-cricket-fiasco/

2. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    IK is right - if the only form of payment either for the club or the player is performance, rather than business people influencing selection for their favourites, there's a better chance of the talent cream floating to the top.

but its easy to see the other side of the coin - many players - the ones who aren't the best - will lose out, which is sad for them.

3. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Lol, Imran knows how to handle Javed Miandad. Imran doesn't take Miandad seriously.

Once you reduce quantity there will be no money issue for the players playing as technically you need to pay less people so each person can be paid more. For example if I have 16 pounds and share between 16 people I can give £1 to each person but if I have 6 people then each person gets about £2.66. The issues of umpiring and pitches also solve themselves. You have less matches going on which gives groundsmen time to prepare pitches. As for Umpiring you only need 6 umpires so the best 8-12 officials can be trained and given the duty. Imo each team should have it's own stadium and training ground as well as an NCA type facility that includes 4-5 bowling machines - I am shocked that in the NCA their is only one bowling machine. Here in England forget about counties every club has 1-2 bowling machines so the question is where is the money that ICC gives PCB going? Especially when groundsmen, umpires and players get payed less and clubs run on their own.

I would be totally against this new system if lots of good players would be forced to leave but if you analyse Pakistan domestic cricket you will notice lots of players are not of FC level. India maintains 32 team competition as they have talent and population is large although still a few teams in their system perform poorly.

4. Savak

Savak Emerging Player

Feb 26, 2013
    Departments should take over the sponsorships and administration, control of the regions.

5. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Exactly my thoughts.
    Players will still get paid.

6. ahmedwaqas92

ahmedwaqas92 Youngsta Beauty

Jan 1, 2017
    In theory what Imran saying seems correct however you can't transition into a newer model overnight when the structure of your cricket is completely based on the one that houses so many players. You have to create migration avenues first and then roll out such changes for it to:

(a) Work as intended
    (b) Not have a situation where you're forced to come back to the current model out of desperation during any sort of backlash.

7. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    wouldn't kill anyone to try this. I'm pretty sure it will be successful.

8. Savak

Savak Emerging Player

Feb 26, 2013
    The PCB is doing exactly this, gradually encouraging the departments to take over the regions and to rename their Department teams as the regions but the Departments are resisting and ofcourse regions as well but the bulk of the resistance is coming from the departments.

9. ahmedwaqas92

ahmedwaqas92 Youngsta Beauty

Jan 1, 2017
    Truth be told PCB can't do jack with anything unless the depts themselves give the green light on how they would want to integrate into the new model, you can't force somebody to sponsor something the way you want them to sponsor it. We always forget that in sports (a bit of a harsh reality) the sponsors are the ones in control of everything from the broadcast to almost the last detail of how stuff would be rolled out. In the case of our domestics the sponsors (or patrons as we call them) are the teams themselves so telling them to intentionally put them at a disadvantage would be a deal breaker for almost every single department who participates in Pakistan domestic cricket.

I recently spoke with the coach of SSGC (Atiq Bhai) and he frankly iterated that even if we hypothetically agree (for the sake of the argument) that the dept sponsors the region, the management of that region (hiring of coaches and staff) would rest with the sponsors and the coaches who would get hired would then simply roll out the same XI as they did for the Dept basically serving no purpose whatsoever.

If the above scenario happens the model would simply fail and we'd have to come back to this current one as mentioned in my previous post section (b)

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Savak

Savak Emerging Player

Feb 26, 2013
    Imran just wants the team names to be regional based and for that to be the only form of domestic cricket. If merging the regions, departments together will not make a practical difference but if you have the changed name of the team then i don't see the harm in it. Instead of 2 seperate tournaments, you have just one and Imran will have no more complaints as the primary domestic cricket is based on regions and the departments are now controling the regions and still providing employement to the players. Win Win for everyone.