India tour of Australia/New Zealand 2018/19

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Nov 12, 2018.

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Fixtures -

Nov 21, Wed
    Australia vs India, 1st T20I
    India tour of Australia, 2018-19
    The Gabba, Brisbane
    7:50 AM
    07:50 AM GMT / 05:50 PM LOCAL

Nov 23, Fri
    Australia vs India, 2nd T20I
    Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne
    07:50 AM GMT / 06:50 PM LOCAL

Nov 25, Sun
    Australia vs India, 3rd T20I
    Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney
    07:50 AM GMT / 06:50 PM LOCAL

Dec 06, Thu - Dec 10, Mon
    Australia vs India, 1st Test
    Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
    12:00 AM
    12:00 AM GMT / 10:30 AM LOCAL

Dec 14, Fri - Dec 18, Tue
    Australia vs India, 2nd Test
    Perth Stadium, Perth
    2:20 AM
    02:20 AM GMT / 10:20 AM LOCAL

Dec 26, Wed - Dec 30, Sun
    Australia vs India, 3rd Test
    11:30 PM (Dec 25)
    11:30 PM GMT (Dec 25) / 10:30 AM LOCAL

Jan 03, Thu - Jan 07, Mon
    Australia vs India, 4th Test
    11:30 PM (Jan 02)
    11:30 PM GMT (Jan 02) / 10:30 AM LOCAL

Jan 12, Sat
    Australia vs India, 1st ODI
    3:20 AM
    03:20 AM GMT / 02:20 PM LOCAL

Jan 15, Tue
    Australia vs India, 2nd ODI
    Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
    03:20 AM GMT / 01:50 PM LOCAL

Jan 18, Fri
    Australia vs India, 3rd ODI
    03:20 AM GMT / 02:20 PM LOCAL

2. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Rohit, Parthiv, Vijay picked for Australia Tests; Pandya still unfit

Rohit Sharma, M Vijay and Parthiv Patel have all been recalled for the Tests in Australia in December and January, as the selectors have decided to fall back on experience for the big series. Prithvi Shaw, who shone with a century on Test debut, was picked as one of the openers in the squad of 18, apart from Vijay and KL Rahul, and the pace attack was back to its full strength of Jasprit Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma and Umesh Yadav.

Allrounder Hardik Pandya, who had picked up a back injury during the Asia Cup, "had not fully recovered" for the Test series, according to chief selector MSK Prasad. "It's very difficult to match Hardik's all-round ability," Prasad further said. "At least we don't see that kind of ability now in India. That's why no other alternatives were discussed. And we expect Bhuvi to come good, we know he can bat.

"We felt that Rohit's nature of play, a very good back-foot player, is suited for Australia. Murali Vijay was dropped from the England series. He went back and he played the county and showed his intent and performed and considering the intensity of the series, we've included him for the Australia series."
    Hanuma Vihari, who was controversially given a Test debut in England ahead of Karun Nair, was retained while Mayank Agarwal was dropped after he was picked for the two home Tests against West Indies but did not get a game. By dropping Agarwal, the selectors strengthened the middle-order options, but went back to Rohit instead of giving Nair another chance. Vihari recently scored three straight half-centuries, two for India B in the Deodhar Trophy and one for Andhra in domestic one-day matches, and also counts as a bowling option with his offbreaks.

The selectors picked the usual spin attack of R Ashwin and Kuldeep Yadav, apart from allrounder Ravindra Jadeja.

Both Rohit and Parthiv had played two out of the three Tests each in South Africa earlier this year. While Rohit was dropped later for his poor form with the bat - for a total of 78 runs in four innings in South Africa - Parthiv was dropped not just for lack of runs (56 runs from four innings) but for dropping several catches while keeping. Picked as the second wicketkeeping option apart from Rishabh Pant, it is unlikely Parthiv would have been called up had Wriddhiman Saha been fit for the Test series.

While Rohit continued with his form in ODIs during the Asia Cup and against West Indies, Parthiv returned to the domestic circuit to score a half-century in two innings in the Duleep Trophy, but managed a high score of only 47 in eight innings in the Vijay Hazare Trophy. He scored 182 runs at an average of 22.75 in the tournament, including two ducks.

"He was not picked for the game against Afghanistan and also the England series but subsequently he played the Duleep Trophy, he batted well and kept well," Prasad said of Parthiv. "If you see the selection we've done for the whole team, it's a mixture of youth and experience, which we really wanted because it's going to be a high-intensity series. Which is why we've fallen back on experience. The advantage of Parthiv is that he's a left-hander and can bat at any position. When the team demanded, even with a fractured hand he opened the innings in South Africa. So considering all these factors, we've picked him."

[​IMG]
    Parthiv Patel gathers a ball BCCI
    Vijay, on the other hand, played the first two Tests in England but made only 26 runs overall, including a pair at Lord's, before he was dropped from the tour. Soon enough, he represented Essex in the County Championship and impressed with scores of 80, 2, 85, 56 and 100 - the century coming in a chase of 282. He could not impress as much in the Vijay Hazare Trophy back at home but his first-class form was enough to get him picked for the Tests.

Bhuvneshwar and Bumrah had been rested from the Tests against West Indies and were slotted back, and so was Ishant, who did not play against West Indies after he picked up an ankle injury during the Oval Test.

The Test squad will fly out for Australia on November 16, to play a warm-up game starting the 28th before the four-Test series begins on December 6 in Adelaide.

Agarwal found a place in the India A squad that will play first of the three matches in New Zealand. Prasad said that fixture would act as a warm-up before the Australia Tests since it also includes Vijay, Shaw, Vihari, Rohit, Ajinkya Rahane (captain) and Parthiv, among others, from the Test squad. Nair was named captain for a different A squad that would play the remaining two first-class matches in New Zealand; the squad also features Agarwal, Shubman Gill, Vijay Shankar, Ishan Kishan, Shahbaz Nadeem and Mohammed Siraj. The three four-day matches in New Zealand will be played in Mount Maunganui, Hamilton and Whangarei.

Test squad: Virat Kohli (capt), M Vijay, KL Rahul, Prithvi Shaw, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane (vice-capt), Hanuma Vihari, Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant, Parthiv Patel, R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar

A squad for first match in New Zealand: M Vijay, Prithvi Shaw, Mayank Agarwal, Hanuma Vihari, Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane (capt), Parthiv Patel (wk), K Gowtham, Shahbaz Nadeem, Mohammed Siraj, Navdeep Saini, Deepak Chahar, Rajneesh Gurbani, Vijay Shankar, KS Bharat

A squad for second and third matches in New Zealand: Abhimanyu Easwaran, Mayank Agarwal, R Samarth, Karun Nair (capt), Ankit Bawne, Shubman Gill, Vijay Shankar, KS Bharat (wk), Ishan Kishan, K Gowtham, Shahbaz Nadeem, Mohammed Siraj, Navdeep Saini, Deepak Chahar, Rajneesh Gurbani

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...ay-picked-australia-tests-hardik-pandya-unfit

3. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Sachin Tendulkar says India have their 'best chance' to win in Australia

India have their "best chance" to win a Test series in Australia for the first time, Sachin Tendulkar has said. He doesn't expect it to be easy, but he suggested that the current Australian team, which will most likely be without Steven Smith and David Warner, is inexperienced and not at the level of past teams India have played against.

"Possibly our best chance to go out there and beat them," Tendulkar told Cricketnext. "If you see the Australia teams in the past and compare them to this one, yes we have a very good chance.

"I mean playing cricket at the highest level, I don't think it is at the highest level at this stage. I think they have had better sides in the past. They have had better players with more experience, this is considerably an inexperienced side.

"They are kind of getting back together and forming a solid unit. But Australians are known for being competitive and I won't be surprised if they put up a competitive fight. To go out there and challenge them is also not going to be easy, but we have the ammunition to go out there and challenge them.

"We have good fast bowlers, quality spinners. We have good batters. You win Test matches when you score a lot of runs on the board."

Scoring those runs, Tendulkar said, would require India's batsmen to respect the new ball. If they did that, he reckoned they could cash in and play their shots in "beautiful" batting conditions.

"I think when you go to Australia, especially playing with Kookaburra, it's the first 20-25 overs that one needs to respect the hardness of the seam, the hardness of the ball," he said. "After the ball has worn off, then the wickets are beautiful to bat on.

"I would say we need to bat the first 25 overs differently, respect the hardness of the ball. And later on, most of our guys are big shot players and they like attacking approach. Australian surfaces are perfect for that."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...ar-says-india-their-best-chance-win-australia

4. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Usman Khawaja's knee on course for first India Test

Save for those belonging to Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood, Usman Khawaja's knee is arguably the most important in Australian cricket right now. So far, its recovery from a meniscus tear suffered during the tour of the UAE is progressing fractionally ahead of schedule, brightening Khawaja's chances of returning to fitness in time for a Sheffield Shield match prior to the first Test against India.

As the outstanding batsman of Australia's remarkable draw against Pakistan in Dubai, Khawaja underlined why, in the absence of the banned Steven Smith and David Warner, he is the standout batsman in the country. His knee injury in warm-ups on day two of the second Test in Abu Dhabi left a gulf that has been made plain since, in the remainder of that match and also the first ODI against South Africa in Perth.

While Khawaja's status in the limited-overs plans of the coach Justin Langer was unclear ahead of the South Africa series, his chances of returning to the national team in white-ball formats will only grow with further underwhelming displays by others. For now, however, the No. 1 priority for him is to get fit in time for Queensland's Sheffield Shield match with Victoria in Brisbane from November 27. It will allow him to spend time in the middle ahead of the first Test against India in Adelaide in early December.

"Ideally, I'm going well towards then [the first Test] and, in an ideal world, I'd like to play a Shield game before then," Khawaja said in Brisbane. "That's the target, that's the goal, but just have to see. Still three weeks until then, so if everything keeps going the same way it should be good.

"It's going pretty well so far, just over two weeks, ran at 100% yesterday on the treadmill, hopefully run outside tomorrow, so progressing well so far. The docs and everyone have been really happy with the progress, there's a long way to go, just taking it day by day at the moment but hoping to be right sooner rather than later."

Khawaja's loss of weight and significantly improved fitness since last summer was cited by Langer when summing up his Dubai innings - "look at him", he beamed - and is now aiding his recovery from knee surgery. "I'm 10 kilograms lighter than I was in South Africa, maybe seven months ago. I'm sure that helps the knees in some respects," Khawaja said.

"My recovery is going really well so far, I'm trying to keep it cool, but it's actually going really well. I feel like I'm a little bit ahead of where I should be and, at the moment, things are progressing well but it's a long way still to go. If I keep doing the little things right, looking after my body and being disciplined, hopefully that'll transition to me coming back in time."

In addition to taking him out of the Abu Dhabi Test match, Khawaja's knee tear ruled him out of any ODI calculations, and he was blunt about stating that next year's World Cup in England is high on his list of goals for the next 12 months. His initial sense of lost opportunity was balanced by his wife Rachel, who rightly pointed out that beyond the South Africa series there will be numerous other 50-over assignments between now and the naming of the Cup squad.

[​IMG]
    Usman Khawaja's 141 in 524 minutes is the second-longest fourth innings stint in Tests Getty Images

"The team hadn't been picked when I got injured, but I felt like I was putting my hand up and I really wanted to get amongst it and if selected play some one-day cricket," Khawaja said. "Targeting that World Cup is a big thing, one of my major goals, I want to at least be a part of that squad. But there's plenty more opportunities still coming. I was pretty down, that was one of the reasons, but Rachel my wife put it in perspective, she said there's plenty more opportunities coming, so hopefully I'll get my body right and go from there.

"It's one of my major goals to get back into the one-day side, I've had chats to Justin about it, he knows where I'm at too, but at the end of the day, we play a game, it's all about performances. Hopefully when I'm right and things are going well, I'll put my hand up through performances. But the guys playing in the one day side are very good players. I have no doubt they'll come back strong. It's been a tough time for Australian cricket in more respects than just on-field, so it'd be nice as a fan and a mate to a lot of those guys to see them do well."

Speaking at a time of enormous change at the top levels of Cricket Australia, while the national team struggles for results, Khawaja called for calm heads and counselled against a rush to judge the limited-overs team after only one home match this summer - even if it was a comprehensive hiding at the hands of the Proteas.

"There is a lot of change in Australian cricket at the moment," he said. "As players we stay out of it a little bit, but there is a lot of change going on at the moment and, to be honest, all I really care about at the moment is the team. You watch the guys play on screen for Australia, you watch the Queensland boys play. I'm not part of all the other stuff so it's hard to comment on exactly what's going on.

"I know we've lost a whole bunch of one-dayers over the past year, but this series isn't lost yet, we're probably better off seeing what happens over the next two games then reassess as well. I don't think it's time for panic stations, sometimes you just need to sit back and see what happens."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25211369/usman-khawaja-knee-course-first-india-test

5. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Aussie quicks begin Test preparations

Australia's Test pace cartel will kick off their red-ball preparations for this summer's four Test series against India in NSW's Sheffield Shield clash with Queensland this weekend.

Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins have been named to make their long-form returns in the Manuka Oval clash in Canberra alongside Mitchell Starc and Nathan Lyon as part of a full-strength attack.

Both struck down by back injuries over the winter, Hazlewood and Cummins will play their first elite red-ball cricket since last summer in this weekend's clash at Manuka Oval.

Starc also had his injury concerns over the off-season, but played in Australia's Test series loss against Pakistan last month before being rejoined by Hazlewood and Cummins in the one-day series against South Africa.

Lyon has already played one Shield game for NSW this summer, claiming four wickets in last week's rain-affected draw with Tasmania.

It will also mark just the second time the four have all played together in Shield cricket, after Starc claimed two hat-tricks in their one game at the start of last season against Western Australia.

They'll face a Queensland side that will likely include Test aspirants Matt Renshaw, Joe Burns and Marnus Labuschagne when the match begins Friday.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/au...arations/b665e927-9fcd-411f-bd7d-90be17478c22

6. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia a different ball game, but India high on confidence - Rohit

Rohit Sharma believes that the 3-0 whitewash of West Indies has completely prepared the Indian white-ball side for their tour of Australia which begins in nine days.

After Shikhar Dhawan and Rishabh Pant scored match-winning half-centuries on Sunday, India's stand-in captain told reporters that they were "high on confidence" to take on the Australian challenge that kicks off with a three-game T20I series.

"It was important from the team's perspective for the players to get some runs ahead of the important Australia tour," Rohit said. "Shikhar was batting well in the ODI series. He was not able to get big scores. He was getting 30s and 40s, but I am glad that he could play a match-winning knock today and get some form under his belt before the crucial tour. Rishabh was also hungry to go out and get some runs. It was the perfect situation today.

"When you win a series like this, you are high on confidence and it is all about taking that confidence there. Australia will be a different ball-game, and I completely understand that. But I think the things we have been doing as a team, we have to keep repeating the same thing we have been doing."

India will, once again, be without MS Dhoni for the T20Is in Australia but Rohit backed Dinesh Karthik, the wicketkeeper during the West Indies T20Is, to keep coming good. In any case, they aren't short of options behind the stumps with Pant and KL Rahul both part of the squad.

"MS [Dhoni] not being in a team is a miss for any team," Rohit said. "But I have played with Dinesh in Mumbai Indians when I was captain. We understand each other really well. His thought behind the stumps is important, like any other wicketkeeper.

"Dinesh's input has been important - on how the pitch is doing and the angle where the fielders are. Small little things like that. Dinesh has been helpful. He is also the skipper of one of the IPL franchises [Kolkata Knight Riders], and that really helps."

The West Indies series also gave India an opportunity to test Krunal Pandya in international cricket. Already a vital cog in the IPL for Mumbai Indians, the 27-year old allrounder played a match-winning innings on debut, and was also tidy with the ball, giving away only 78 runs in 72 balls across three games.

"Krunal is a street-smart cricketer," Rohit said. "He is never afraid of going and bowling to any batsman whether the batsman is set, whether it is a left-hander who is set. We have seen that when he played the IPL.

"I am quite impressed with how he approached these three internationals. He has got a great ability to play for India for a long period of time, only because he can also bat. You have seen how he finished the first game. He came and played shots which were not expected from a debutant, but he is fearless, just like his brother.

"At the end of the day, you need characters in the team like Krunal and Hardik who are not afraid of expressing themselves. I don't like to mention one or two players. All the players have different characters and, at different point of time, they have raised their hands and taken responsibility."

The greatest positive from the series, according to Rohit, was India's fielding, and he led the way himself, with three sharp catches in the second T20I. "There was going to be a question mark on our fielding after a long home season that we have played. We ticked a lot of boxes but I am especially happy how we fielded. Batting and bowling, there will be mistakes and good performances but I was particularly happy with our fielding."

Rohit, however, brushed aside his own personal ambitions for a place in India's XI for the Australia Tests, opting to play down the hype around his return to the Test squad after being axed midway through the South Africa series in January this year.

"I am not thinking about the Test match. I am someone who doesn't think too far ahead. All I am thinking is going back, taking few days off, and take the flight to Australia," he said. "If I try and stay in present, it works for me.

"Test matches are something I was looking forward [to] for a long time. It will be a nice to go out there and play a Test match for India. As a batsman, I don't think about my past performances. Every game is a new game. Every time I go out there in the middle, I keep things simple. This game is simple if you keep it simple. If you overthink, it can get complicated. So it is important to stay in [the] present. It is important to start well in Australia and then, take it from there."

India play their first T20I at the Gabba on November 21, after which the series moves on to Melbourne and Sydney. Then comes a four-Test series before the tour finally winds down with three ODIs starting January 12.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...-ball-game-india-high-confidence-rohit-sharma

7. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    1st T20 today.

Aussies were flying before the rain came

153/3 after 16.1

8. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    @Munna Good chance of taking something from this tour. Aussies will always be tough to play against at home however they are there for the taking with the team they have currently. Confident?

9. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Some of these guys are beasts in their own home conditions. I think Aussies should do well in LOIs at the least. But then, Kohli is also a different monster on those flat pitches.

Tests would be interesting to follow.

But yeah, these are the best chance to beat these guys down under.

10. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    35/0 in 4 ov

India require another 139 runs with 10 wickets and 13.0 overs remaining

11. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    :oops: Was supposed to type @Mohan but thanks for your response lol

12. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    I was happy you finally talked to me.... but now this hurts. I hate you now and @Mohan too :(

13. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Lol it was early in the day. maaf kar dai yaar.

81/2 now

93 from 51 required

14. shainz

shainz Talented

Apr 8, 2012
    Lot depends on kohli now still weird he didn't came to bat at no 3

Sent from my DUK-L09 using Tapatalk

15. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Dhawan seems to be having fun in the middle

16. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Kohli gone. Big wicket
    94/3

17. shainz

shainz Talented

Apr 8, 2012
    Gabbar gone India in trouble now

18. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  19. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    65 off 30 required

20. shainz

shainz Talented

Apr 8, 2012
    25 in 1 over India back with the bang

21. shainz

shainz Talented

Apr 8, 2012
    24 runs 12 balls I think India should win from. Here

22. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Wow, what happened there. How quickly things changed in just 1 over

23. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    And now a wicket lol

24. shainz

shainz Talented

Apr 8, 2012
    Amazing game of cricket

25. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    13 required off the last over

26. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    11 off 3 as Pandya is out

27. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    2 in 2 Karthik gone

28. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia won by 4 runs. Plenty of twists and turns at the end there

29. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    India loses 1st T20 by 4 runs.

Kohli scores at S/R of 50

30. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    England were supposedly there for the taking as well but we all know how that ended.

And with tailunt Sharma back in the test side, we don't stand any chance.

As long as that moron Shastri is calling the shots, we will keep losing overseas.

31. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Kohli, please shut up.

Oh don’t swear at us, Aussies should swear at them more.

32. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    But, But Babar is responsible for this defeat.

33. shainz

shainz Talented

Apr 8, 2012
    But great game of cricket shows this indian team ain't a push over it wasn't easy for the bowlers but aussies lack quality in pace attack

34. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    I still think this is a big chance for you to beat them away from home.
    That Aussie team on paper shouldn't really put much fear in to your side.

35. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Zampa quality bowler.

36. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Is he heck, when he bowled against us all he was trying to do was bowl them fast full tosses so we couldn’t smash him, what’s the point of playing him if he’s gonna do that effectively neutralising any threat he had.

37. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    what ?

india should have won. This australian team is C grade team now.

india chocked

38. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    @Red Devil @maddgenius @SwingNSeam XD

39. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    Prithvi Shaw ruled out of the first test. Why does this have to happen only to talented youngsters? :fp

40. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Conceding 500 runs in warm-up not a concern - Pujara

India are refusing to give away any secrets ahead of the first Test against Australia but remain confident they have a bowling attack that can compete despite a tough workout in the warm-up match in Sydney, where they were taken for a mammoth 544 by an inexperienced Cricket Australia XI.

The India bowlers - 10 of them were eventually used in the non-first-class fixture - toiled through 151.1 overs against a batting line-up that held just 78 first-class appearances, 50 of them from captain Sam Whiteman alone.

India's current pace resources have been billed as their strongest ever and have performed impressively on the tours of South Africa and England this year. A couple of tough days in the field have not dented confidence, though.

"The bowlers already had a meeting, and conceding 500 runs in a warm-up game doesn't mean anything," Cheteshwar Pujara said. "It wasn't a Test match, so we are not worried about it. Our bowlers know what they have to do. I can't say what their gameplan is, but they know what line and lengths to bowl in Australia, and most of them have played here in 2014-15. As a bowling unit, we are very confident.

"In the last few years, we have produced some quality fast bowlers and even when it comes to bench strength, even if a couple of our fast bowlers are injured, they will have some back-up. When it comes to fast bowling, this is probably one of the best attacks we have in many years. I am not saying we didn't have a good fast-bowling attack in the past. I don't know the reason, it could be the IPL which has helped produce good fast bowlers and is benefiting the Indian Test team at the moment."

It won't just be the quicks who will have a key role to play with much focus also on the role of the spinner, with R Ashwin looking set to be the one frontline option selected following his 40 overs in the warm-up match. Ashwin's overall record in Australia is a less-than-flattering 21 wickets at 54.71, but Pujara hinted that he has some new tricks up his sleeve.

"I always say he is a clever bowler and reads the batsmen really well. If you see his recent bowling, he has made a lot of changes - I can't describe what it is in [a] press conference. He has made some adjustments which have helped him and he has also played some county cricket and played enough cricket in England which are different conditions, overseas, and obviously there's not much help for the spinner. When he is playing in Australia he knows what to do and he has also played here in 2014-15. He is very confident now and whatever adjustments he has to make he has already done it."

India opted against a full training session in Adelaide on Monday with just a handful of players coming down for an optional net.

"To be honest, we got what we wanted in the practice game," Pujara said.
    "The trainer and physio had been monitoring the workload, so depending on that we thought it is best to take a break and train for the next two days and be fresh for the Test."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...g-500-runs-warm-not-concern-cheteshwar-pujara