1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Indian players called me "Kaluu" - Darren Sammy

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Patriot, Jun 9, 2020.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Darren Sammy opened up about him and Sri Lankan all rounder Thesara Perera being called "Kaluu" "Kalaay" "blacky" "Kalaa" during their term in IPL

[​IMG]

Pathetic how No one in the media nor the respected Cricket boards raised flags over this back then.

Ishant Sharma and others should be banned heavily with hefty fines.

2. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Like Ishant Sharma and the other Lallus are Goray LOL

3. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    its shocking how no media personal gave this racism attention. Just now when BLM movement is ongoing we find this unfortunate even happened back in 2017

4. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Pretty Standard In India.

5. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
  6. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    The transgressors are all no doubt now crapping their pants. No defence to this.

I mean what they gonna say, 'no no, we meant because you bat like Kaluwiteraana'?

7. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Also I dont even know whats worse, the use of the term or the laughter by everyone else afterwards

8. Choi Saab

Choi Saab Smooth Operator

Oct 4, 2014
    Unfortunately although Desi's being subjected to horrible racism themselves, have a bad tendency to be racist themselves, especially towards black people.

This is such a dirty issue across the subcontinent honestly. Asian's before complaining about racism, need to take a good look at themselves first.

Pathetic why you would treat a guest like that.

9. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 18, 2012
    This is a sad reality of the subcontinental culture, unfortunately.

We can be smug about the headlines this will create for the Indians, but a lot of Pakistani people are no better. I have sadly witnessed terms such as "kaalu", "habshi", etc being thrown around derogatorily to describe black people amongst members of my own extended family, and at least back in the day if you decided to call them out on it you were very quickly labelled "badtameez".

I hope this global outrage will open the eyes of at least some of the more educated members of the subcontinental society to this issue.

10. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    It's just a norm of the day in India.

11. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    Obama was called the first ever black president of USA by Americans themselves. Was that racism?

Do Indians get offended for being called brown? Does a white get offended for being called a gora?

Get a grip ffs, it's just the colour of your skin.

12. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Wow.

You know you enable such racism right?

Obama was called 'the first black president', there was no racist connotation to it.

Calling a white person 'gora' is derogatory and also without even have been targeted, white people are protesting for and against BLM.

People are racist to brown people as well, you ever heard of the term '[email protected]'?

Deliberately calling someone 'Kalu' when you have named your compatriots by their names, is racism, the word 'kalu/kala' is used in a derogatory manner across the subcontinent. Why didn't Ishant post 'Brown, Brown, Brown, Kalu'? If it was just a case of skin colour, heck even feel the need to post someones skin colour.

13. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    Well let's not pretend, shall we?

Being called Kaala in India or Pakistan is no way similar to the N word in USA. It has always been that way.

Here's an old Mohammad Rafi song. You think this is racist too @Choi Saab?

14. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    but why is that no one takes offense when a black man is called a NIG**R by another black man?

15. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    you were at Sarfraz throat when he called the SA player "kalaay"

wth is this double standard!!

16. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    That happened in South Africa, a place which has apartheid history.

Huge difference.

17. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Answer questions with questions, don't expect an answer then.

You always dodge answering questions.

Lol.

This logic.

18. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    That is for black people to sort, doesn't justify non blacks calling a black person the 'N' word.

19. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Racism is too casual in the subcontinent as evident above.

20. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    Lol fine then, don't answer.

As I said, it might sound insulting, but there is no malice intended. Be my guest if you can prove me wrong.

Calling someone Kaala in India is not equivalent to being called a Nigga is America, no matter what way you twist it.

I was regularly called "chashmish" at school because I used to wear spectacles back then. Not exactly something I would be thrilled to be referred as, right? Should I start whining about that now? LOL.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  21. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    You don't answer yourself, why should anyone else?

I have answered all these questions bar the last one if you bother to read and reply.

Racism and spectacle taunting being equated now, you do give me a good chuckle lol.

22. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    Keep chuckling then.

The point is that calling someone Kaala in India or Pakistan is pretty much the same as calling someone Mota or Naata or Lamba. Of course it is different in the West.

Not sure what part of it do you not understand.

23. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    All this, calling people kaalu and whatnot being the norm in SC...ok lets accept this for 2 min, but thats under the assumption that the person on the receiving end obviously knows what it means.

Sammy clearly didnt know what it meant and whats more, he said other players would start laughing when someone said this. Why wouldn't you even tell Sammy (a non local) what the word actually meant and why would the local players start laughing?

24. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    I am very sure he knew what it meant at that time. It's pretty convenient now to piggy back on the Floyd case for some cheap publicity, especially when his IPL career is over. Also, since he is a Pakistani citizen now, this whole thing reeks of an agenda.

Even if he didn't know the meaning back then, it's pretty rich of him to have a problem being called black. Check this out:

25. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    I will continue chuckle when someone makes a stupid remark like yours.

Then answer the question, why didn't Ishant calling his friends out by their colour? Why specifically the one black guy in the picture?

I don't understand? You got issues, but maybe this is a reflection of the education system in India.

Lol.

Here we go, the Pakistan angle, was waiting for you to make this remark, clearly shows why you are defending racism here, simply because it involves your shining India.

Sammy calling a black person black is not the same thing as a brown person referring to a black person as 'Kalu'.

26. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Don't use logic man.

Did you know racism is the same as calling someone out for wearing glasses?

Or that calling someone long, fat is the same as racism?

C'mon man.

27. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    Acchha, so a black person can make skin colour references towards another black person without being termed a racist. Only non blacks doing that is the definition of racism.

You learn something new every now and then I guess :D

28. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    Lol troll somewhere else please.

Go and read my post again.

PS: Concentrate on this part - India or Pakistan.

Cannot believe I am having to spell this out to a Pakistani of all people, who is aware of the Sarfraz and recently the Babar cases.

29. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Yeah just like I learned due to your infite wisdom that

1) Being called out for wearing glasses is the same as racism.

2) How calling someone 'lanky', 'fat' is the same as racism.

3) How which country you use the word black is racism.

4) How black people are racists.

5) How calling someone black is acceptable in certain countries.

And more such gems that will surely help me understand the dynamics of racism.

30. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Ok then.

31. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    Good job pointing me to the wrong post.

And I didn't say being called fat, short etc is same as racism. It was an analogy.

But if you are hell bent in proving that all subcontinent countries are full of racist bigots like Ishant, Sarfraz, Babar etc, well please carry on then I guess.

32. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Nope, your post was in response to the wrong post of mine.

You did, that analogy was stupid lol.

I haven't even said that lol or suggested it. But feel free to interpret how you would like.

33. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    It was an analogy, as in calling someone Kaala or Mota is an insult at best devoid of any malicious intention. But yeah, feel free to twist and interpret it the way you like.

34. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    Haan zaroor, he didn't know the meaning then. LOL.

35. Choi Saab

Oct 4, 2014
    Forgot, where you say it has relevance, oh yes.

36. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    so you accept that India is a Racist country.

I'm glad finally someone from india acknowledged this.

37. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    my point again proven @Mohan i guess its alright as u accepted earlier

38. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Yes. Of course it's racist. When you call someone kaalu/blackie and then everyone laughs it's not said out of love or affection or comradeship. You're making fun or being derogatory.

I remember when I was growing up and we used to watch Pakistani stage shows at home. I always found it uncomfortable when they would make kaalu jokes.

It was clear racism to me and regardless if it's a Pakistani 'comedian' saying it or a bunch of Indian cricketers. Racism is racism.

39. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    Applying western standards for political correctness to Indian/Pakistani societies is not appropriate. We don't politicize skin colour like western countries do. I don't know how else I can make myself clear.

The N word is censored on this forum I believe. Why isn't Kaala censored if it is as derogatory/demeaning as that?

40. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Some real stupid arguments here (as usual by the Indians)

Black, brown etc been different things in different contexts.

If Ishant had been asked to describe the players in your team. If then he used yes sammy is tall, black (kaala), steyn is medium height, white (gora) etc etc - that’s fine.

But to then give sammy the name - Kaalu - completely different and offensive.

Usual delusional, biased defence