Intercontinental Cup (and general Associate discussion) thread

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Donal Cozzie, May 13, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
    First round of the Intercontinental Cup kicked off this week, with Namibia beating Hong Kong by 114 runs.

Afghanistan visit Scotland for a game in a few weeks, and Ireland play the UAE in June.

PNG and the Netherlands are the other 2 sides in the competition.

Afghanistan squad announced, very very surprised to see Hamid Hassan and Shapoor excluded!!

Prince Pathan any idea why??

2. iHammad

iHammad Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    Is it being televised?

3. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    Lol.

No, maybe the ICC will stream a couple games but highly unlikely to be televised sadly

4. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
  5. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    I am on a minnow forum

See ya at the WC qualifier bro :misbah

6. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Ah man, we better rise in ODI rankings soon, can't even make fun of minnows anymore :p

7. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014

Why would you want to make fun of the group you've newly joined?

Keep it up and this thread could be about Pakistans fixtures too

8. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    I have a feeling Ireland will disappoint and that the other teams will beat them.

9. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Nah, we're alright in Tests :D

10. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    Maybe, but we've won this 4 times out of a possible 6, and lost something like 2 of out last 25 games, sometimes with a second XI

11. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012

Ireland Cricket is on its way down. I won't be surprised if PNG and Scotland surpass them soon.

12. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    :lol

We'll see you at the bottom :p

13. iHammad

iHammad Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    Lol @ us making fun of Ireland Cricket, if their cricket is going down, our cricket is in absolute free fall

14. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011

These two are not regarded as being 4-day bowlers ,I can understand that logic because Hamid cannot afford to break down. Shapoor is ageing so he will only be utilized in the shorter formats. My good friend Izzatullah is a fantastic bowler and is just back from injury so he automatically keeps his place in the team due to his previous exploits in this format. Expect good things from him in this format. So happy to see MS back, has been working hard on his fitness and has said he is going to play less erratic which will be good to see because he is one player in that team with technique (when he plays sensibly).

Yameen Ahmadzai and Sayed Shirzad are two other bowlers with immense promise, surprised to see Abdullah Adil and Fareed Malik not making these teams though, both of them out performed Mohammad Aftab and Zia Ul Haq in that ODI series between PAK and AFG U19

15. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    meh

who cares about these low ranked teams

16. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Chill out man, it's just banter lol.

17. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    Mohammed Shehzad selected for Afghanistan again.

Sorry but I do not rate him whatsoever.

18. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    European champions, ireland. :rofl

19. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    He is a good player, just overly excitable. He lets the excitement get to him. Expect better things from him now after the recall

20. BoomBoom786

BoomBoom786 Talented

Apr 12, 2010
    Life beyond the Test world.

21. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    Ireland 420/3 after Day 1 vs UAE.

Joyce 229 (222)
    Stirling 148 (198)

Scotland vs Afghanistan Day 1 washed out

22. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    Ed Joyce is a real talent. But he sadly might also merc out and go to england.

23. Raf Pragmatic

Raf Pragmatic Banned

Jan 7, 2013
    I'm waiting for Afghan new talents. Soon they wiil be beating our team like Bangladesh.

24. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    End of Day 2 UAE are 207/8 in response to Irelands 492. With the forecast for Friday looking somewhat grim Ireland may need 12 wickets tomorrow. Less short bowling please, dont know why we are fixated with short balls.

In the other game Scotland are 227/8 after the 2nd days play. Hard to see any result other than a draw unless the Afghans put up an awful batting display twice within 2 days, assuming the rain stays away. Then again its not an easy surface for batting so who knows maybe we'll see a result.

25. Raf Pragmatic

Raf Pragmatic Banned

Jan 7, 2013
    Supporting Afghanistan.

26. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    @Prince Pathan man I've no idea how you tolerate Shahzad, talented or not he has absolutely no brain and tries so hard to copy Afridi/Dhoni

Afghanistan have zero chance of winning this game thanks to rain. They've 1 and a half days left to play and the only way someone will lose is if Afg are bowled out twice in that time. So the basic plan on a tough pitch will be to bat as long as possible to ensure the draw right?

This is what Shahzad does

Evans to Mohammad Shahzad, 1 run, nicked but dropped. It would have been a terrific catch at fourth slip, diving away to his right, but when you get fingers to it you have a chance

Sharif to Mohammad Shahzad, no run, heaves outside off stump and misses. Shahzad won't die wondering, that's for sure.

Evans to Mohammad Shahzad, no run, flashes outside off and misses.

Evans to Mohammad Shahzad, no run, very short bouncer, and of course he has go at it, but misses. Umeed at short leg goes up, but no one else.

Sharif to Mohammad Shahzad, FOUR, first boundary, full in the slot, and whack through wide mid on, less generously cow corner.

Sharif to Mohammad Shahzad, OUT, gets his man! Threw the bat at one outside off stump and drags it onto his leg stump which goes flying, leaving the off and middle one undisturbed. A fine sight and Sharif now has a wicket to match Evans'.

Faced 16 balls as a multi day opener and slashed at 6 of them. This guy has no place on any team in a non t20 format. Has gone massively backward since 2010 it seems

27. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    End of Day 3 in Ireland.

UAE's last 2 were bowled out quick time for 213 and Ireland enforced the follow on. UAE end the day on 251/9, 28 runs behind Irelands first innings total. Forecast for tomorrow has improved and rain isnt scheduled until tea time so Ireland should secure the points tomorrow you'd feel.

Pitch has been a bit of a belter, with the ball doing nothing in the air or on the pitch after the first couple overs. Very good for us though was Craig Young bowling especially with the new ball, described as "As quick a display of bowling by an Ireland bowler since Boyd Rankin. That is the consensus in the media tent of Young's new ball spell." by the cricinfo commie.

So good to see his continuing development.

Meanwhile across the Irish Sea the rain played spoilsport again and play only got underway at around half 2. Afghanistans batting woes brutally exposed again, reduced to 96/8 in reply to Scotlands 233. Good news for Scotland is the debut of 20 year old Gavin Main, who has proper pace about him and has bowled well on a helpful pitch, and Andrew Umeed, a very highly rated 19yo on Warkwickshire's books.

Afghanistan seem to have fallen away a bit since 2010, and Scotland are now arguably their match. Mohammed Shahzad batting brainlessly as expected on his comeback and I for one cannot see how anybody rates this guy whatsoever.

Afghanistan should consider themselves very fortunate rain rained off the entire first day as on this showing they'd be looking at a heavy loss here.

Still a day left though, so if Scotland can enforce the follow on (not sure if its possible?) or take a very daring declaration they could come off with a win here yet. That said the weather forecast again looks very poor.

Any Saffer fans reading this might remember Con de Lange? Was a SA domestic player. Made his debut for Scotland after completing his residency period and so far has 9 overs, 5 maidens, 9 runs and 3 wickets.

28. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Afghanistan were always going to struggle on Irish and Scottish pitches, they have very little exposure here. Even India and Pakistan struggle on the green tracks. I tolerate MS because I know him lol so I cannot really belittle somebody I have contact with. It is true though, he was always a big hitter but he did it on the bad balls, I think the comparisons with Dhoni has really gotten to his head. It is not that he has deteriorated but he goes after every single ball. Horrible habit

I expected Afghanistan to lose on these pitches, but I did know their bowling was going to do okay here.

29. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    Dont get me wrong they were always gonna struggle a bit, but 96/8? Thats a bit worrying tbh.

I was going through scorecards around 2010 era and while I know Associates in general were weaker then than now its still surprising to see how dominant Afghanistan were then compared to now. The batting especially seems to have gone massively downhill. Plus in the WC the batting was terrible too even though pitches were as flat as you'll see, doesnt seem to have gotten any better.

Re: Shahzad, dont get me wrong he comes off as a top bloke, but with the helicopter shot and everything he comes off as a total Dhoni copycat, and ever since those comparisons have been made he seems to have gone massively downhill. Like in 2010 I saw he hit a quickfire 200 vs Canada when Afg needed 350 to win in 4 sessions. Granted its Canada but still, I could never see him doing that now.

Plus the selectors seem a bit Pakistan-esque, what with Mangal and others getting loads of chances despite regular failures.

30. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    I hope Ireland is improving their bowling @Donal Cozzie. They had the worst bowling in WC 2015.

31. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    Young's new ball spell was described as the quickest by an Irish bowler since Rankin left which is excellent news.

Not only that but Bracewell is gonna hold talks with Rankin over a possible comeback as well

32. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    Thats brilliant. Ireland has a good batting side (good by associate standards). They really need to have good bowlers if they want to make a case for a test team which has gone darker due to Bangla's emergence.

33. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    Ireland beat the UAE by an innings and 26 runs.

Afghanistan 135 all out draw with Scotland 233 all out.

Table

Ireland - 20
    Namibia - 20
    Scotland - 13
    Afghanistan - 7
    UAE - 0
    Hong Kong - 0

PNG play Holland in about 2 weeks time in the next game

34. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    Is it even possible for Ireland to lose to some of the crap teams in that list?

35. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    MS has got his mojo back, I did say he has gotten more sensible. He needed more games on these types of pitches
    Made a quickfire 100 last match and is on route for another big score against Middlesex

36. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    To be fair, it is middlesex second XI.

And I've never doubted his t20 ability, guys made for this format, its everything else he's out of his depth at

37. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    It is these pitches though, they are not used to them so it is a matter of getting accustomed to your surroundings. They have a good T20 team but knowing them they will chop and change to accommodate their seniors if they do qualify and then perform badly. I think he averages highest in the 4 day format lol, not sure though

38. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Playing at the moment too, I just want Najibullah to get his eye set on these grounds, if they want to qualify he needs to be at the top of his game. Gifted cricketer who can take a game away from any team. Proved it with his innings against Newzealands bowling attack too. Talented but misused, but I think the new coach really likes him so will be in the team for a while

39. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    Not lying Afghanistan have a nightmare group but I dont think their qualifying should be in doubt.

It'll come down to how they do vs Scotland and Netherlands, lose those games and they'll be in trouble.

Mangal is no good at full member level WC showed that, surprised he's still there.

And stanikzai captaining a t20 team is pretty damn hilarious.

40. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    His Team selection in terms of batting have been on point though. He has managed to fit Shafiqullah and MS in the same team which is what we all wanted for T20