Inzamam did not select a good team: Rameez

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Rameez while referring to Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq who resigned on Wednesday, said he did some things right while some ended up wrong for Pakistan cricket.

“Our first class, under-19 and club cricket have collapsed therefore a new system is required to bring the talent to fore,” he said on his YouTube channel.

He said no cricket is being played in schools because educational institutions are now being established in houses which lack grounds in their premises making it difficult to play.

“How can we get players through this system,” he said.

Rameez said we were only getting talent through Pakistan Super League (PSL) but the selectors were picking players for all formats tests, one days and twenty-20s from PSL.

Rameez, however, said Inzamam brought some young talented players in the main stream including Babar Azam, Shaheen Afridi, Imam-ul-Haq and Imad Wasim.

“However, after inclusion of his nephew Imam into the squad Inzamam had to go through controversy,” he said.

Speaking about the Pakistan squad for the 2019 Cricket World Cup, he said Inzamam did not select a good team.

“The approach in selection of the squad was of the 80s and 90s which has no place in today’s modern cricket,” he said.

He added that England made a formidable team which played the World Cup fearlessly.

“We have to change the mindset of the game and should focus on bringing in new management and administrators in first-class cricket,” he said adding that fresh people are needed for the job.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/5...whole-cricket-system-in-pakistan-needs-revamp

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Kinda agree with this.

3. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    umm i disagree, Fakhar, Fahim, Babar werent selected based on their PSL performance. Haris Sohail is another good example

PS: Rameez just visits cricket forums, copies posts and writes in his english

4. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Apart from Babar & Harris, all including Fakhar, Fahim, Shadab & Hassan are selected based on PSL, I believe.

5. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Fakhar was already going to get the call up before PSL. PSL was just a stepping stone and nothing more

Fahim got a call before PSL irrc

6. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Also Imam got called up based on his performance and form

7. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
    I feel like he did well as a selector. Who ever we get now will be a downgrade. Expect guys like Shehzad and Umar Akmal to appear.

8. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Says the guy who wanted Yasir Shah in ODIs

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    I dont think Inzi selected a bad squad! Infact, it was a very strong squad in my opinion!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. TaQvinaToR

TaQvinaToR Youngsta Beauty

Sep 28, 2018
    This utter BS by Rameez and Inzi's other buddies. System has got nothing to do with the fact that you are still not selecting the right players who are performing in first class. Khurram Manzoor, Fawad Alam, Abid Ali to name a few. He never even select 3rd opener for back up. Just to make sure his nephew is locked in for good. they can implement the best system but its a waste if these guys wont select the right deserving players

11. TaQvinaToR

Sep 28, 2018
    No Clue of Wahab
    Amir dropped and then pickup again
    no back up opener
    no back up keeper
    Hasnain - as per inzi the Xfactor never played a single game!
    Hafeez & Malik strong ?
    no back up leg spinner

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree / Dislike Disagree / Dislike x 1
    • List
  12. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Want to touch on the point of “fearless cricket” by england. This seems to be what is being sold to the world. The reality is different. If it wasn’t for India’s skulduggery in their group game, england would have been dumped out in the group stages. As it was, the final “victory” was one of the most fortuitous ever. And even if you want to count it as a victory, it was not due to their so called fearless cricket, it was due to gritting their teeth, biting down hard and fighting till the end - and really there’s only one person in the England team that has shown that quality - stokes.

So it was anything but this “new approach” that won them the World Cup

England’s so called fearless approach only works on certain type of pitches- and yes, they are formidable then as a batting unit. But on those type of pitches, their bowling goes for plenty too. If our band of jokers were racking up 340 plus regularly, then don’t know what some other teams would have done.

Pakistan and co need to adopt their own identity and not fall in to the usual envy trap of trying to copy another team. Our obsession with finding the brown McGrath gave us a decade of trundlers

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  13. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    England had them players in domestic cricket. They had Ben Stokes, they had Bairstow, they had Roy, they had Plunkett, they had Rashid, they had them guys available. We don't have them. Whenever we try someone the fans start screaming. We tried Hussain Talat, Asif Ali, Sahibzada Farhan and Faheem Ashraf now didn't we? Be honest and tell me what were your opinions of these players and be honest.

14. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    This is funny but Rambo is actually behind these trundlers. He was the one who asked groundsmen to make nationwide green tracks. What he wanted was our batsman to perform overseas and not get scared by green wickets. But what happened in reality was oppose to what he intended. Batsman could not survive on them wickets and so never got chance to develop their technique and confidence, lots of medium pacers emerged and spinners also went out of the game.

It's important to analyse before you do anything otherwise this is what happens when you don't think and make rash and reckless decisions.

15. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Yasir is match winner. Imagine having Shadab and Yasir performing together. It's what we need so imo it was a good selection. No harm in trying. It didn't work out, it didn't work out. Move on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree / Dislike Disagree / Dislike x 1
    • List
  16. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Wahab made it cus others had failed in the pre World Cup games against England and Australia.
    Amir dropped and picked up again to motivate him and give him a keep on his backside to get a better performance out of him and that trick worked for us!!
    Backup opener was not required as Hafeez could have opened and he should have been opening in my opinion in last 2 games against slightly weaker Afghanistan and Bangladesh!!
    Backup keeper should have been there in shape of Abid Ali and he could have also served as backup opener in my opinion. Asif Ali was selected in his place but he proved his selection right in my opinion but still believe Abid Ali was a better choice imo.
    Hafeez and Malik are the allround option. They contribute both with bat and ball. Malik was a failure but his selection wasnt wrong as he was part of the team for last 4 yrs!!
    Backup leg spinner was not required and in case of injury, Yasir Shah could have been called up as replacement for Shadab. Some players were staying in England as far as i know so that they are available on urgent basis.
    Hasnain was selected like Junaid in 2011 WC, Junaid got his chance after the World Cup to see how good he was and seniors got their chance first and Hassan although failed but Shaheen turned out to be a good replacement~!!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  17. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Ideal squad if i was in inzis place:

1. Imam
    2. Fakhar
    3. Abid Ali (Keeper)
    4. Babar Azam
    5. Harris Sohail
    6. Hafeez
    7. Shoaib Malik
    8. Fahim Ashraf
    9. Hassan Ali
    10. Wahab Riaz
    11. Amir
    Reserves: Shadab Khan, Shaheen, Sarfraz, Fawad Alam.

18. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Totally agree with you!

19. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Very good post. Not sure why you don't have more likes here...

20. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Rameez is lost.

The squad over all had some bad selections (Malik being the biggest) however once they started selecting the better 11 players Pakistan got some great results. They beat a very strong England line up by out batting them on a flat pitch. They chased a total vs a strong NZ bowling side on a tricky pitch. They made a good Bangladesh side look below average (saw this game live in stadium, was obvious Pakistan would win it 1.5 hours into the game).
    They also had good wins vs SA and dug in vs Afghans.

This team had a bad start but caught up well after. I think it has a very good potential if the same set of players keep developing. I don't see anyone who was left out that would be much better

21. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Yes great point. This is a big reason that we are struggling to find the right players. The green and unprepared pitches have caused problems all over. So yes, you are right that has played a big role in giving us trundlers.

The other point that I alluded to was the mentality. Since circa 2003/4 it’s almost become haram for pak bowlers to express any aspiration or passion of bowling fast. We get the ratti lines “but line and length is more important, I’m not interested in pace, if it’s there it’s there”.

Similar to the same ratti lines of giving “credit to the whole team” and of course “credit to the team and especially.....” and then proceed to list off the whole team!

22. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    @Bilal123 - yes, very good point. The team we had in the end (even if by accident, or as a last resort was actually a very good team. They played very well in those last 4 matches.

The problem with Inzi was the back and forth and the lack of planning leading up to the World Cup. The comical preliminary 15 etc etc

However, whether it was the panic button or not, he did change it. Imagine if wahab and amir sat out. I doubt we would have won any matches. Maybe 2 max.

We criticise Inzi true - and I will criticise him for the last couple of years, but at least he did change it. A lot of people wouldn’t have, so credit there

23. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    To be fair to Inzi he did try to get players in that he thought could serve the country for a long time.

Faheem looked like he might come good. His pace was increasing gradually and seemed like he had some decent shots. Looked like he may develop into a solid Jason Holder type player if persisted with but he didn't. At least Inzi realised this and dropped him before it was too late for the world cup.
    He brushed both Amir and Wahab to a side thinking he might develop Shinwari into a decent player but that didn't work out either. Full marks for trying and thats what you want from a selector. To pick players based on potential and back them

24. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    People criticizing Inzi will get a reality check very soon once we are back to the usual regular programming. Inzi gave a chance to every single player I would have wanted to see in the team based on their performance. While I did not agree with seniors Malik and Hafeez being in the team, or that Fawad Alam wasn't given a chance in tests, it is difficult to blame Inzi for that without knowing what messages he received from the coach/captain. He did an excellent job as the chief selector.

25. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Fawad is decending fast. He's not the player he was. It's time to make Usman, Saad and Saud. Fawad Alam is unlucky but it happens. Couldn't play because of Younis and Misbah as well as backing behind Shafiq and Azhar and now is not scoring. Lost a game for his team in one of the List A matches just.

Inzi was good. All the talent was on the table. He knew what he was doing. Malik and Hafeez have backing of higher ups. Hafeez wasn't all that bad over past two years.

Imran Khan just said he will make Pakistan into a great team so that gives me some hope but Inzi was not all that bad. You see some players are under cooked. It's easy to say bring in Khushdil, Zeeshan Malik and Saud but imo they are not ready, they are still 2 years away from the team. But Inzi had them in the A team so it shows they are in contention. I don't see which part of this logic people don't understand. At the end of the day only 15 guys can play for Pakistan and not 30.

I'm not settling for mediocrity but just look at 2013 champions trophy squad and the squad now. You will see a massive difference for the better. Some People have no shame. Problem is in domestic cricket and now they are fixing that so we should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  26. TaQvinaToR

Sep 28, 2018

Wahab made it cus others had failed in the pre World Cup games against England and Australia.
    Amir dropped and picked up again to motivate him and give him a keep on his backside to get a better performance out of him and that trick worked for us!! ...

27. TaQvinaToR

Sep 28, 2018

Not the point, He never played ODI for 2 years and all of a sudden Inzi is whispered by a guardian angel that a mistake has been done, than what was the point of Hasnain ?, He had no clue how to manage and select a team on performance. sharam toh aati nahi, that you have players like Khurram Shehzad, Fawad Alam and Abid Ali performing for years and banging their head at the selectors door but Inzi was busy planning how to drop openers one by one and make way for his nephew.
    As far as Amir goes, I dont know what trick you are talking about, I wish they could've tried some other tricks on Hafeez & Malik, By the way as per your opinion Hafeez should've open. the guy cant play fast bowlers. He would've been a sitting duck for the likes of Boults, Archer, Bumrah and Starc. Kis duniya mei hai sir aap, He was a mediocre opener and the only reason his career extended cause he realized ( The Afridi Way ) that its best to focus on his bowling, that will certainly extend his career. Whenever he came to bat in this WC. He had an excellent chance to capitalize but that nut just couldn't stop getting out on the same spot, mind you 4 times !

Malik was in the team due to his parchi from Punjab Minister and his BS "Senior" title. His batting average is 3rd lowest in in England, just above Swann and James Anderson. Unnecessary burden and politician in the team, Never was a team player and I personally think he should get into politics.

28. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Abid Ali is one for the future and if he would have been selected, he would be selected in place of Asif Ali!!Khurram Shahzad got enough chances i reckon and everytime he failed to deliver! Fawad Alam was the unlucky one he should have gotten chances imo~ He is the only unlucky one/ Abid Ali will get his chance now but he should have been selected in place of Asif! Although Asif justified his selection, but Abid would have served two purposes - reserve keeper and reserve opener!!

29. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    When everyone else failed all pacers failed, he had to recall Wahab Riaz, he had no option! Pakistan pace bowling was specially misfiring! Wahab Riaz was performing in domestic for last 2 years and earned his place and made it count in the WC! Had it not been for him and Amir, we would have had a poor campaign so these were right selections in right time in my opinion!!
    Hafeez is an allround player. His bowling keeps him in the team although his batting was not quite upto the mark but he did an ok job in my opinion!
    Malik was a disappointment but he could not be dropped at that stage. He was part of our plans in last 4 yrs after 2015 WC!!

30. TaQvinaToR

Sep 28, 2018

I agree Abid Ali needs to be in the team.

31. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Emerging Player

Apr 16, 2010
    Abid Ali I think was rightly removed from the WC.
    His focus was totally lost.
    He was more excited with the opportunity of “meeting sachin Tendulkar” rather than having the grasp on the idea of what was it all about and what should’ve been his actual mission in the WC.

Seriously, this was such a rudimentary thought process and mental caliber that I was totally disappointed.
    What’s the freaking big deal in meeting with Sachin? Even I have met him - so what?

32. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Faheem has himself to blame. I'd continue investing in him if he could bowl at his PSL pace. In internationals he was 128-133 whilst on PSL it was 137-144. Why should a cricketer like that deserve to play? He had talent but what's the point when it's reserved for a third class league.