Irfan gives you pace and bounce but is it sustainable over a long period of time? No: Aurther

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Nov 5, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 1)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Former Pakistan Head Coach Mickey Arthur believes that he was right in keeping lanky pacer Mohammad Irfan on the sidelines, during his tenure with the Men in Green.

While talking during television show, Arthur said that Irfan, who conceded 31 runs in his two overs during the first Twenty20 International (T20I) match against Australia, lacked the desired consistency level inorder to be part of the national side.

"Mohammad Irfan was very rusty. He didn't play much during my time and that was because we didn't think he was consistent enough in his areas and we saw that,” said Arthur. “He was both sides of the wicket, bowled a no-ball. Irfan gives you pace and bounce but is it sustainable over a long period of time? No.”

“He's going to have to bowl very well to maintain his place in the side because he gives runs away in the field. If you're trying to establish a high performance culture, a fitness and disciplined culture, he doesn't give you that. He gives you x-factor, but is it sustainable? Not sure. The lengths he bowls are very good to domestic cricketers but international cricketers take toll on that. That's a dilemma Misbah and Waqar will face going forward," he added.

The 51-year-old also said that Irfan’s below-par performances will make his fellow left-arm pacer Mohammad Amir’s job more difficult.

"If I was coaching a batsman, I'd say you go deep in the crease for Irfan and look to hit him square because of the extra bounce. That played a bit with Irfan, we saw him miss his lengths. That makes Amir's job harder. Bowling in partnerships, we didn't see that at all," he said.

The Johannesburg-born was also of the opinion that rookie pacer Mohammad Hasnain should be given a chance in the second T20I against Australia.

“I'd bring Mohammad Hasnain in the next match to bowl in the middle-overs and open with Imad and Amir," he said.

Arthur also backed Pakistan head coach-cum-chief selector Misbahul Haq to keep country’s cricket on the right track.

"Misbah will be good, he's a quality human being. He knows the game and Pakistan cricket inside out, I'm sure he'll work it out quick and he'll get that team going in the right direction," he said.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/n...cated-after-irfans-performance-in-sydney-t20i

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    There was no rational, no thought process except that "he will get more bounce", but whats the point of it?

Is he troubling Aussies? No.
    Does he offer pace? No.
    Is he taking too many wickets? No.
    Does he has any future? No.

So whats the point again?

3. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Well now he doesn't even give you pace.

4. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    He has made a comeback after a long time! He was rusty in the first game! He improved in the 2nd game and infact got Finch out who hit him for 26 runs in the first game!! So he is getting better! He should be persisted with only in t20s! He is good for t20s even now! Hasnain should play the 3rd match in his place though just to change that all left arm attack!!

5. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    At 37 Irfan is not going to play T20 Wc.

We have Shaheen for pace and bounce so what misbah has done here is wasted an opportunity to test new young bowlers.

It is preferable to be Man of Understanding then to be a Man of Knowledge.

6. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    It illustrates that how much Misbah supports oldies, who have passed their best before date like Irfan over young lads like Shaheen and Hasnain. This idiot used to do the same in his playing days, and for this reason I can never support him.

7. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Yaar we need Shaheen for test format more than t20s! Irfan can serve us in shortest format as he cant bowl more than 4 overs at full pace at this stage! If we waste Shaheen in t20 cricket, Shaheen will end up like Amir and retire from test cricket!! Test cricket ke liye bhi humein khilari chahye! Test cricket mein humein young players serve kar sakte hein cus they are more physically fit to endure test cricket than oldies who have served their time!!

8. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day it seems. finally something you have written actually makes some sense.