Is Bangladesh now a Top 8 ODI team?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Apr 19, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Before the 1st ODI of this series, Bangladesh hadn't beaten Pakistan for 16 years. Bangladesh's first and only win against Pakistan had been in the 1999 World Cup. It was also Bangladesh's only win against one of the 'Big 8' sides in cricket.

After that win against one of the strongest ODI teams in history there was some expectation that Bangladesh would start to win against the other Big 8 teams too. The ICC's desire to increase the cricketing family led to Bangladesh being given Test Status at a time that many felt they weren't ready for it.

Over the next 9 years, up until late 2008, Bangladesh only managed to win another 6 ODI games against the top 8 teams. Including the win against Pakistan that was less than one win per year. Pre 2009 was a very tough period for Bangladesh Cricket but post 2009 they've really begun to emerge as a real contender to depose one of the Top 8 sides and take their place in the ODI aristocracy.

In the last 6-odd years since the start of 2009 Bangladesh have won 23 matches against the 'Big 8' out of 69 results. They only lost 46 of those games which means that they now win 1 out of every 3 games against a Top 8 side.

Before today Bangladesh had 8 ODI series wins against Zimbabwe, 2 ODI series wins against West Indies and 2 ODI series wins against New Zealand. After today they can add a series win against Pakistan too. So that's 5 series wins against 'Big 8' teams.

In total they have 30 wins against the 'Big 8' teams...

8 v New Zealand
    7 v West Indies
    4 v Sri Lanka
    3 v England, India and Pakistan
    1 v Southa Africa and Australia

So are Bangladesh ready to be part of the top 8? Actually Bangladesh are already one of the top 8 teams. If you look at ODI results against ONLY the top 8 teams since 2009, Bangladesh are 8th based on their win/loss record with West Indies at 9...

Jan 2009.png

But if you look at the win loss record against the 'Big 8' since the start of 2012 then Bangladesh are actually 7th with Pakistan 9th...

Jan 2012.png

Bangladesh have been winning a bigger percentage of their matches against the Big 8 than both Pakistan and West Indies since the start of 2012.

Bangladesh has arrived as a Big 8 team and we paid the price for taking them too lightly and sending what was effectively a 'Pakistan A' squad to play a team which is two spots above us on the ODI win/loss percentage.

2. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    Maybe at home, but I can't see them beating any of the 7 other top teams away.

3. s2k

s2k Tracer Bullet

Mar 23, 2012
    Give it time.They are on a high here.Let them do it over a 12-18 month period.

4. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    At home they're a better side but their main issues start when playing away from home as they're struggling to beat the big teams away.

5. Prince of Pakistan

Prince of Pakistan Talented

Jun 16, 2012
    As Fawad said at home they'll give a tough time to teams who can't play spin, but in general the top 5 will trash them.

Pakistan team has serious issues to even set 250 on the board on a road and along that we also lack good pacers. Pakistan will have issues everywhere and against every team.

6. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    There are other teams like India and England who are strong at home but not so strong away from home, so Bangladesh isnt alone in that. New Zealand and West Indies have been living off their home victories to keep their top 8 status for years now.

Why cant Bangladesh do the same until they get more confident away from home?

7. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Reason why Pakistan is so low is because whilst others are making use of home conditions during home tours Pakistan is getting whipped abroad every time they play. Very unfair but have themselves to blame for having such a poor state in this country. As soon as peace arrives the team will also improve

8. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Actually since 2009, Bangladesh are number 7 when it comes to playing away at the oppositions home...

BD09 away.png

They have been better than NZ and WI and on a par with England but their sample size is a lot smaller because they dont get invited by many of the Big 8 teams.

Hopefully that will change now.

9. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    If they can nick an overseas series then they will catch a few eyes and start to get recognition. Unfortunately for them their home wins do not get a lot of media attention.

10. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Yes, esp at home. It's oft fashionable to bash them after a loss but they're still ahead of Zimbabwe (competitive but lack finishing edge, also crippled by bad management), Ireland (drained by England) & Afghanistan (still quite new) in terms of talent. It's true that Bangladesh's first decade of international cricket was pretty much a waste (I think if you gave Ireland/Zimbabwe/Afghanistan same time they'd probably be better), but they've slowly improved since and they deserve the spot.

11. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    With current management Pakistan team will continue to remain the number 9th team in ranking.

12. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    thing with Bangladesh is that they've looked good in the past but then after a few performances theyve been put back in their minnow place. Hopefully, for cricket's sake, hope its different for them and their wins arent actually a fluke. They got good bowlers now too.

13. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
  14. Kray_Jackson7

Kray_Jackson7 Youngsta Beauty

Feb 24, 2015
    Very interesting thread Merc. Personally i call them the top 8 because they have not only won the odd matches but they win series Vs the opposition and have had 'their time'. While South Africa have never won a world cup and choke a lot they still win a lot of series.

Before Bangla can be considered top 8, in my opinion, they need to regularly win series Vs the other big teams and do better in tournaments. Aswell as this 1 team would have to lose a lot more regularly, for a period of time. In a few years Bangladesh could definitely be up there but right now they aren't doing enough for me. I know they have defeated Pakistan in a series but this is the weakest, and possibly rawest, side we have fielded in a long time.

15. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    To call them top 8, they need to outperform WI or another team going forward but it would be great to see them become a non-minnow whether or not it is top 8.

16. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Actually they've won 2 out of their last 4 series vs West Indies, they've won 2 out of their last 3 series against New Zealand. Now they've beaten a Pakistan team which is rebuilding but it's still Pakistan so they have to overcome that mental block and they did.

In the last 5 years, they reached an Asia Cup final by beating India and Sri Lanka and the Quarter Final of a World Cup by beating England. They had Pakistan on the ropes at 236 in the Asia Cup final, they came within 3 runs of winning the Asia Cup. They also competed with India in the World Cup QF too.

I'm not saying they are a Top 5 or 6 team yet but I think they've arrived in the Top 8 and will give Windies, England, Pakistan and New Zealand some serious competition over the next few years.

17. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    Hoping they do well on their away tours. The fans deserve it, they've gone through a lot.

18. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014

no they don't

19. Aman

Aman Formerly 'Zaros'

May 13, 2014
    I don't know who's worse, Pakistani's or Bangladeshis. That being said, I mostly hang out on Pakistani sites so maybe it's the sheer number that is misleading..

20. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014

its a desi thing nothing more mate. We all have a desi inside that we dont know :)

21. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    It's alright. New Zealand were whitewashed twice, we've only been whitewashed once. :D

22. Aman

Aman Formerly 'Zaros'

May 13, 2014
    Everything I've predicted in the past has come into fruition. The same 'crap' which was deemed as trolling is now reality, how's that for you? You can enjoy that number 9 ranking, with a Test ranking of 5 or 6 on your way too.

Maybe I was expecting too much from Minnowstani's, they're easily ruffled and can't differentiate between fairy tales and the real world :shrug

23. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    Banglawashed twice. :lmao

24. Aman

Aman Formerly 'Zaros'

May 13, 2014
    Yeah, a much weakened side (Neesham, Latham, Devchich, Nicoll and Macintosh) from outside the SC . Regardless, Pakistan will likely topple that, you guys should avoid them or more embarrassment is likely to follow.

25. iHammad

iHammad Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    Kiwis are the worst by far, but unfortunately you won't realize it.

26. Aman

Aman Formerly 'Zaros'

May 13, 2014
    Yet not one fan ever said we were going to win the WC, unlike fans from the team ranked 9th in the ODI rankings.

27. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Aman is right about every single word

28. Aman

Aman Formerly 'Zaros'

May 13, 2014
    NZ have moved up to third and have a sniff at becoming the number 1 side in the world, but in reality, I know it's unlikely and I won't pretend like they have a chance. Aus will likely hold onto that ranking for another 5 years or maybe SA will topple them for a period of time. But I definitely can't see us dominating teams home or away to get there.

In all likelihood 2 or 3 is where we plateau, from what I've seen we're probably going to struggle once B Mac and Taylor go, the young talent we have currently (My general feeling on the ones I've seen) isn't good enough to maintain that ranking or improve on it. I can see us falling to midtable with Boult, Southee and KW keeping us afloat.

29. Aman

Aman Formerly 'Zaros'

May 13, 2014
    What disappoints me most is knowing that we'll never get a better chance than we did last WC to win a WC. We'll need everything to fall in place to win one, for this WC it did up until the Final in Aus.... We hadn't played a match in Aus since 2009 (?)... Aus isolating us actually played a big part in them winning a WC, it may be seen as sour grapes by some but there's no denying it played a part. How would you like to play a WC Final in a country where you haven't played an ODI match in for over 6 years?

30. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011

When did India reach final?

31. Aman

Aman Formerly 'Zaros'

May 13, 2014
    The same day Pakistan became the 9th best ODI side in the world.

32. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011

Don't try to fool people around. You are Indian, support India and happy at the sorry state of Pakistani Cricket. But don't worry every dog has his day.

33. Aman

Aman Formerly 'Zaros'

May 13, 2014
    The only reason I'm remotely anything is because of your delusional vocal fan base. You guys talk yourself to oblivion - "talent this, talent that..", I'm sick of that rubbish that word is thrown around to make fans feel better about their sorry state, the reality is this is the likes of Hafeez, Misbah, Azhar, Shehzad and Azhar (Babar and Sami are still new) are the best you have, and they may be talented for Pakistani standards but on an international standard they're quite ordinary. It was no surprise to see a team like Bangladesh who actually has a talented crop of players coming through deal to Pakistan like they did in the LOI's.

The biggest myth in cricket is that Pakistan produce the most talented cricketers, the truth is you're not even the second best producer, it's Aus first followed by SA with India and Pakistan tied for third (could argue it either way, still embarrassing for both nations considering their talent pool sizes and love for the game).

And please don't bring up that raw talent nonsense here, I'm not buying that kool aid.

34. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Dude, you so called Aman kee asha: Pakistan indeed produces talented cricketers like Yasir Shah, Mohammad Amir/Asif , Wahab Riaz etc. This is is not something we are saying. Go and read what Shane Watson, Warne, Clarke and others say about our cricketers. Pakistan cricket is going thru a bad patch but we will be back. We are still number 4 ranked team in test cricket above India. Like Asli Pathan said go and enjoy your time but then every dog has his day.

35. Aman

Aman Formerly 'Zaros'

May 13, 2014
    For how long? It wasn't long ago you were gloating about being ranked higher than NZ in ODI's.

Look at where you are now, I'll remind you if you forgot - near dead last.

36. Aman

Aman Formerly 'Zaros'

May 13, 2014
    Tailunt...

[​IMG]

37. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    Or
    Lol much weakened side. So was ours.

Banglawashed twice in 3 years with players like McCullum, Williamson, Taylor. :lol

38. iHammad

iHammad Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    You are not forced to buy any Kool aid.

You are bitter about everything that Pakistan fans say and post about, yet you are still on Pakistani forums?

39. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
  40. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Younus and Misbah are ranked number at 8 and 10 in ICC Test Cricketers ranking and you are saying they are not good enough. There is not a single Indian or Bangladeshi player in top 10 Test Ranking. Pakistan is ranked at number 4 at 103 points i.e. much much much ahead of Bangladesh at 32 points.