Is DRS making Umpiring standards lower?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by thair9999, Feb 12, 2020.

1. thair9999

thair9999 Youngsta Beauty

Oct 17, 2010
    I noticed following decision were overturned after the review.

BD 2nd inning
    60.4 - Overturn
    48.5 - Overturn
    40.4 - Overturn​

PK 1st inning
    110.2 - Overturn​

BD 1st inning
    81.2 - Overturn
    55.3 - Overturn
    1.4 - Overturn​

Are umpires making decisions thinking the teams will review them or was it just bad umpiring.

2. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    No, just exposing the low standards as the teams are also getting much better at using their reviews. I don't think it is turning away good umpires from the sport whose decisions would just be reaffirmed by it. You could make the case that many umpires just got away more often with their bad decisions in the past and standards are the same.

3. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    DRS was introduced due to poor umpiring decisions

I agree it has made umpires more lazy, they dont even spot no-balls anymore, just get on the mic and have the 3rd umpire check it for them

4. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Umpires are in their comfort zone knowing DRS is available for both teams.

5. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    who needs DRS or even umpires when @Patriot can be consulted for any decision from the comfort of his computer screen

6. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Umpire’s call is funny, it has two aspects in my opinion.

It should considered out ONLY when half or more portion of the ball has pitched in line, has struck in line and its hitting the stumps.

If half or more portion portion is missing any of the three points then it should be not out.

However, there is a counter argument against it.

These days the rules are already SO MUCH in favor of the batsmen (and bowling has become such a depressive and humiliating job) that if the ball hits the pads without a bat connection - then it should be out - regardless of where it pitched, struck in line or not and whether it was hitting the stumps or not. It struck on the pads - and the finger goes up!

This will put batsmen back into their senses and on their place, to bring back some balance in the game.

7. thair9999

thair9999 Youngsta Beauty

Oct 17, 2010
    I think umpire's call is there because they are not 100% sure of the reliability of the ball tracker.
    In my opinion pitching out of leg needs to be looked at, if the ball is hitting the stumps why does it matter where it pitched. The ball can pitch yards off the off-stump but it can't be considered if it pitches 1 inch of the leg.

8. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014

9. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    yeah that makes a lot of sense too.
    With ball tracking, you already know if it’s hitting the stumps or not, so why does it matter where it pitched?

we need to bring back something for the bowlers to balance out the equation.