Is it a good decision to select Hasnain over Shinwari?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Apr 18, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I realize Rizwan must be gutted after Inzy's press conference today, but I am wondering what folks here think about Hasnain's selection over Shinwari?

I know Shinwari may not be mentally tough bowler and might choke when batsmen are on charge, but he has done well in recent games.

On contrary, Hasnain, who wasnt able to pass fitness test has been opted and as per Inzy's explanation, he possesses X factor (pace), because Faheem, Juni and Shaheen bowl almost at same pace. Therefore, they inducted Hasnain, because he can bowl upto 150+ KPH and he could be a our X-factor.

That said, what people here think about this decision? Does it make sense?

2. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Tracer Bullet

Dec 26, 2011
    Good, bold decision.

3. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    No. Shinwari was needed. Pace works in UK

4. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Tracer Bullet

Dec 26, 2011
    Hasnain has pace....

5. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    That is a BAD DECISION of EPIC PROPORTIONS...
    You simply don't assign a Man's job to a boy, you just don't.
    Husnain is a good prospect but he is too raw, other teams are gonna eat him alive.

Compare him to our fast bowlers during 99 wc and the problem becomes more glaring.

Wasim : veteran of 14 years.
    Waqar: vereran of 10 years.
    Shoaib: veteran of two years, including match winning performance in SA.
    Azher: ODI veteran of three years, had an amazing test series in SA.
    Razzaq: debuted in 1996, came back in 98. So even than he was part of the team for the last year or so.

Sent from my QMobile i6i using Tapatalk

6. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Shinwari bowls 150+k as well. Have you seen him bowl in BBL?

7. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    No, that was an outlier, he’s more 140-144.

8. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Tracer Bullet

Dec 26, 2011
    No he does not

9. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Risky choice. Not sure if he has the temperament. Then again a young 18 year old Amir did well in a world cup 10 years ago

10. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    But his Death Yorkers are getting better by the day.

Just tell me one thing. Why, why did we "groomed" him for the last two years or so, if we didn't saw him as a WC contender?
    And his performance speaks for itself, 28 wickets in 15 matches since CT at 4.8.(i think)

11. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Terrible decision - Shinwari did everything right in ODIs ever since he has debuted

The only reason I see why they chose Hasnain is because he is most likely to fail against England so that becomes a path for Amir's return in the team

12. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Can we get over this conspiracy theory now? Nothing was stopping them from taking Amir in the first place.

13. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    Media pressure - they want Amir to succeed and the only way is to omit from the squad first

14. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I reckon a lot will be clear after ODI's against ENG ...

15. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    0 experience.

16. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    You have to start somewhere I guess.

17. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    yes but not at the biggest event of the year.

18. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    That's your opinion, it's all about when they decide to introduce him.

19. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    This decision is recipe of disaster. Hasnain is not yet ready for International Cricket.

20. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    Shinwari is the kind of bowler who can get you a freak spell of 6/24 against BD/SL/AFG. Can't believe we didn't select our main wicket taker.

If we lose against a small side, it will be solely because of this reason.

Absolute lulloo bowlers like Faheem who have nothing to show in their international portfolio have been preferred over him

21. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Its the right choice, he was troubling Australian batsmen with his pace more than anyone else and we need to make some bold decisions to win the WC. But I'm not sure how Junaid was selected over Shinwari? May be someone can compare their performances, especially the ability to take wickets. Junaid may have taken a wicket here or there since his comeback but he's never really looked that threatening.

22. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Wrong decision in my opinion. Shinwari should have been there~

23. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Shinwari is garbage. Not too worried about his non selection. We really missed a trick not giving Rauf a run

24. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Yeah, Rauf show have been given a run

25. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Emerging Player

Apr 16, 2010
    Hasnain is THE ONLY player I wanted to be part of this team.

For all the rest, I didn't care whether they made to the team or not. Don't give a flying flock.

26. TaQvinaToR

TaQvinaToR Youngsta Beauty

Sep 28, 2018
    lets wait and see how he performs against England .. too early to praise or judge him

27. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    I don't understand why Shinwari is being discussed so much over Wahab who did well in PSL as well as the Pakistan Cup recently (btw I'm not a fan of Wahab, just mentioning him for argument's sake)

28. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Shinwari has been a part of the team in recent past whereas Wahab Riaz has been sidelined for some time now!

29. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Waba last 4 bowling performance in Odis, strap in.

0-42 in 6 overs vs Australia
    1-62 in 10 vs Australia
    1-69 in 9 overs against Windies
    0/89 in nine overs against India.

In T20s:
    1-35 in 4 against West Indies
    1-44 in 4
    1-6 in 2
    1-23 in 4

In Tests:

1-66 (WI)
    1-29 (WI)
    1-62 (SL)
    4-41 (SL)
    0-39 (Aus)
    0-42 (Aus)

This was also after a brilliant PSL in 2017, yeh let's just bring him back eh????

30. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    1. My argument is not about Wahab or his past performances here.
    2. By your logic then all domestic players must stop performing in there and retire from the international game. Shehzad should be the first one do so then, right eh?
    3. Back then Wahab was a permanent fixture of the team and was rightfully dropped after loss of form last year.
    4. His name is Wahab and not this kiddish waba shaba
    5. The decision to include Hasnain is purely on basis of x-factor and skill set which Shinwari has proved time and again in PSL and some international games that he does loses the plot completely. The guy can win you games single handedly and lose them as well.

31. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    You said Wahab has a better case for world cup then Shinwari because he performed in some second class league and in a domestic tournament. Shinwari is much better then Waba. As for Shehzad he's a batsman, no one in Pakistan can bat and that's a fact forget about batting the lallus don't know what a bat is and this is the reason we are are blessed with 13 average Malik, hence why Shehzad performance in PSL and in domestics matter, his performance in intl also show inconsistencies however they also show he has it in him to be a top all format batsman.

Shinwari loses plot in T20s, in Odis his length is good and on his day he is a match winner against all opposition.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  32. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    If you are able to read then notice I took his name as an example only to present an argument. Despite his good ODI record, Shinwari's recent form has been off since South Africa tour. On the other hand, Wahab made himself a better case for selection by performing in whatever chances he got in the domestic.

This actually doesn't make any sense at all. Our top 3 batsmen in intl team are averaging 50+ whereas Shehzad never managed to cross even 33 lol but we should still pick him on basis of what? His inconsistent domestic performances which according to you are second class?

Now how can a selector take into consideration the pathetic international record of Wahab while selecting him but not consider Shehzad's pathetic international record as well as his second class domestic performances?

on his day....... but if you go through his ODI record, this day only comes once in a series thus inflating his record. Good bowlers don't go for 5.5+ rpo on their off days. And secondly, in cricket, a bowler must have good line along with good length to be successful.

33. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Recent form has been off?? Lol

Last match against Australia he got 4-49.

34. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    0-53 and 1/37 in the previous 2 games before that and preceded with a terrible PSL. That's not called being in good form. He has never been in good form as I explained earlier... he has only 1 good wicket-taking performance in every series/tournament he has played in his ODI career so far.

I'd rather prefer someone consistent or new than take a risk with him in a world cup.

35. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    That's alright tbf, 0-53 and 1-37.

Answer me one thing, why does PSL form count for Rizwan, Shinwari, Wahab but not for Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal???

36. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    It counted for Umar Akmal who got selected ahead of Ahmed Shehzad for the Aus series.

Shehzad won't be making a comeback anytime soon unless one of Imam, Fakhar, Babar has a terrible time. And now Shan and Abid Ali are in the picture too ahead of Shehzad in the pecking order.

37. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Talking about fans. They criticise selectors but they themselves have liking disliking issues as we saw with Umar Akmal, lots of people didn't want him selected despite good PSL form as for Ahmed, Fakhar and Imam may look good on paper but reality is something else, I'd rather have openers with weaker stats who can give in a performance. Imam and Zaman have inflated stats because of minnow bashing although Imam did perform against South Africa. Ahmed should not be sidelined completely because he's an all format player which Zaman and Imam are not.

38. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    No Experience also means advantage of unknown. Pakistan has always thrown young fast bowlers into the big stage like Wasim 1985, Tanvir 2007, Amir 2010; if you are good enough you will pass out with flying colors or if you fail than surely live to fight another day/WC

39. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    Hasnain isnt tested really, but what little we've seen looks rubbish. its a total wild card and a gamble, which in my mind is stupid to do in a World Cup. as if this idiotic excuse of pace wasn't debunked with Wahab and Sami.

40. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Emerging Player

Apr 16, 2010
    Wahab picked the wrong field in cricket.
    He is physically unfit to become a great fast bowler. His body mechanics are not designed for pace bowling.

After years of coaching, Wasim and Waqar gave up on fixing the sling in his arm, the wide open wrist position, and his mind failing to accurately calculate the stride where his body lands in the crease but his bowling shoulder is about half a second too late to take advantage of the momentum. His weight is awkwardly staked on his left leg and shifts at the wrong moment to the his right leg when the bowling arm responds. The bowling action looks too ugly and unorthodox. There is no rhythm, no flow smoothness, and you already know that there is A LOT of wrong in it. But it's only for those expert eyes to see who understand cricket.

Many on this forum may not have the foggiest of ideas as to what I am talking about.

And to top it off, he has an attitude problem towards coaches. He thinks too highly of himself and is on the record saying, I don't listen to advise and training of coaches, and do what I think is right.

And those who wanted Shinwari in the team, then IMO, the best replacement was Shaheen Shah Afridi who has been exposed. He has this very basic flaw in his bowling action where he can't lock the wrist just before delivering the ball. He loads the arm and loses the wrist lock just before the delivery.

Shiwanri is at least technically correct. And that's the only difference. Otherwise both are almost the same.

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List