Is it even possible to have reserves days for Group Matches in an ICC Tournament ?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, Jun 14, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    I see lots of people complaining about rain and reserves days.

You guys need to be realistic that it is literally impossible to have a reserve day for every single game in such a big tournament.. in fact it is not possible in any other sport either except there are reserves days for knock out games.

For example every other team is having a game after 3 days now and lets suppose there is a reserve day for a washed out game, then they will be playing again after a day which is physically impossible in such a big tournament.

For example if there was a reserve day for Ind-Nz game and it was played on Friday, it would have meant that India will be playing on Friday and then sunday again.

Now coming to weather factor and holding an ICC tournament in England, then lets be fair that it is quite unusual that we are having rain and cold weather in this month of the year, last few years it has been boiling and red hot since May and we hardly had any rain until August.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    It’s an unusually high amount of rain fall here in United States as well.

We have broken a 20 years old record of highest rain fall for June.

I think ICC awarded WC to be held in England, a good 8 or 12 years ago. And no one would’ve given a serious thought at that time to look into climate change and high rain fall, so far fetched in the future.

I think it is, what it is.

What I do have an issue with is the size of some grounds, and that too, in England - supposedly, “The home of cricket”.

IMO, for an international match, the boundary line MUST be 80 meters MINIMUM in ALL directions.

Team batting first, puts a large figure on the board due to small boundaries - and even though every one knows it’s a small ground, team batting second automatically gets that additional score board pressure.

360 and 380 in a small ground is easy to score in the first innings - but it’s hard to chase it.
    There is a continuous run rate pressure in the second innings, and batsmen keep trying to play fast to avert the pressure and lose their wickets.

Small boundaries are a lot more unfair than a washed out game, IMO.

3. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Yeah standard of cricket, quality of cricket and size of ground all can be discussed but rain is something not under control of ICC or ECB especially when it is unexpected.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    If rain is not under control of ECB and ICC, then what is there to discuss, especially after you agreed in the OP that it’s ridiculous to have a reserve day for every game, including the league games?

A few years ago, a stadium was built in Canada that has retractable roof - it cost US$ 5 BILLION.

Do we want ICC to build such stadiums in cricket playing countries for WC games? I mean, what else do you want to discuss in this thread?