Is it true that humans used to live longer in ancient times?

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Del, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I had a long chat with somebody on Eid dinner about this interesting topic of human age today vs. in ancient times. He claimed that humans used to live 100+ years.

We discussed various factors like environmental changes, physical activities, food & water etc how they could make impact and odds are high that humans might have lived longer in the past because humans are genetically weaker now in modern times than they were before, but still, there seems to be significant difference (which baffles me).

But then as counter argument we can say that in ancient times, healthcare weren't as good as today.

That said, I would like to hear thoughts from folks here on CS on this topic.

@godzilla @KingOfDoosra @Passionate Pakistani @Patriot @Disco Lemonade @mohsin88ali @ASLI-PATHAN @Energy

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
  3. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    an Apple from 1200 contains 20x more nutrients than an Apple from 2019.

produce were in their purest form. Today's consumables are far from pure, even the ones that are labeled in the grocery store as "organic" are not even close to being in their original form

people were hard working back then, the lifestyle wasnt luxurious as it is now. Day to day routine back then would make your body strong. now we have to go for morning runs and gyms to keep fit.

in other words people today are pussies compared to people back then.

And this argument about better healthcare is bullocks. If it was the case then how come the avg life span today is 75-80 while back then it was 100+

medicines back then were also actually making the body better not the medicines of today that only makes your body an addict and simply coat itself on top of the real problem.

4. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    We Pakistanis have a thing for nostalgia and "worshiping past".

EVERY human/Muslim was better back than...
    They didn't committed any "unheard of crime".
    Muslims NEVER committed any war crimes.

Hell, it ONLY took us the deaths of over 100000 civilians and 6-7k soldiers to "do something"....
    Why am i bringing it up?
    Because, when we "worship" bad people/problems from past, we tend to ignore similar ones in the present.

Which brings me to the current topic.

Whenever there is some old, preserved dead body is found, after examining it, the scientists usually say that "the person was on the young side".
    It also (most of the times) contains evidence of what we consider minor health problems.

Now, even today, people who live in cold environment tend to live a bit longer (and they are healthier as well)
    So, why haven't been able to find one solid piece of evidence from places like Scandinavia or Russia to support this claim?
    Surely, something must have been preserved?

On to the healthcare.
    Are you kidding me?
    What we consider minor problems today, have killed millions in the past.
    Malaria
    Small Pox Etc.

In fact, the average life span has only increased, albeit in civilized countries.
    It has now reached higher 80s in places like Japan and USA.

So, IMHO, this whole thing is a MYTH, NOTHING ELSE.

Sent from my QMobile i6i using Tapatalk

5. CricVet

CricVet Youngsta Beauty

Dec 24, 2013
    Plagues and diseases used to wipe out the entire communities - negative.

Those survived from diseases and plagues must have strong immune system leading to survival of the fittest and a check on population control - Positive. Pick your bitter pill.

Same goes to the plantation.

6. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    why are you bringing religion in this

are you mentally stable in the head ? stick to the topic

7. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    You REALLY need to read my post again as i explained why i did it.
    Besides, it wasn't against or even about religion but more about how WE tend to defend anyone and everyone who uses a "religious mask" for his own nefarious purposes.
    IT WAS ABOUT OUR BEHAVIOR, GOT IT?
    Here, read it again.

And way to go, really.
    Attacking someone personally for having an opinion DIFFERENT THAN YOURS.

8. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    good one keep it up

and i didnt attacked u because you had different opinion u were bringing in another topic and trying to change the subject at hand

ps: i asked if you are in such condition, its not attacking. its me simply asking you

9. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    As i explained in both my posts (which you have chosen to ignore)

Those words were about US and how WE tend to romanticize everything from the past.
    I was simply trying to explain WHY people choose to believe in such myths.

The religious examples were just that, EXAMPLES. To EMPHASIZE a point.

So by that logic, if i were to ask you if you were a "religious fanatic", it WOULDN'T be considered a personal attack?
    (Not that i would EVER do that)

10. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    There's no empirical evidence that humans lived longer in the past. If anything it's the other way around. We now live longer lives than at any point in our history.

Life expectancy in Europe as recent as 200 or 300 years ago was between 35 and 40.

There's never been the level of medical knowledge that we have today and the ability we have today to replace or repair lungs, kidneys, livers, hearts and brains. When you look at human beings today (with our advanced medical techniques) who are over 70 years old. They are very fragile and a lot of them are being kept alive thanks to medical advances (multiple heart bypasses, kidney transplants, etc). Most of those over 90 are usually, house bound or in wheelchairs.

Just imagine how a person of 150 years old would be with today's advanced medical techniques. Then think of how they could survive just 50 or 100 years ago let alone 1000 years ago.

We've found dinosaur bones and fossils from millions of years ago but we haven't found communities of human skeletons where the age of death is hundreds of years old. No doubt there were exceptional cases that lived into their 80s or even 100 or 120 like some still do today but it's not going to have been the norm.

11. CricVet

CricVet Youngsta Beauty

Dec 24, 2013
    True. There are still many communities out there with elderly living 90+. We do not have any evidence of longer life in the ancient time. Of course logic says that in the past, people lacked mechanical aid that is available today and hence had to work physically harder which would in-turn bless you with a stronger body. Once they became fragile in the older age and became susceptible to illnesses, I am sure they would do much better with modern meds.

12. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    given how little there was to do back then i wouldn't be surprised if some people thought they had been living a few hundred years.

13. Hero

Hero Youngsta Beauty

Mar 18, 2019
    Agree with everything else. but that life expectancy number is a bit misleading. Its average life expectancy, taking into account the early deaths of children. If you survived the deadly diseases early, you would live to 60-70 at least.

14. Hero

Hero Youngsta Beauty

Mar 18, 2019
    I don't even know where to start with this post.

Apples today have chemical preservatives and GMO components but there's no proof that the apples of earlier were any more nutritious. What we know is that they were smaller, more likely to be rotten and harder to obtain for a normal citizen.

And how can anyone claim the ancient medicine were better than now? This is gotta be a troll post.

15. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    why do you keep making new accounts ?

when will you ever grow up

16. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    For sure, infant mortality played a much larger part in life expectancy figures in the past.