Is Junaid Khan the best fast bowler in the world?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Shahzad.Firdous, Aug 10, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Surprisingly ignored for T20 WC, Junaid Khan – is he the best fast bowler in the world?

by Shahzad Firdous
    10th August 2012

junaid-big.jpg

Pakistan has a reputation of producing world class fast bowlers from nowhere. Just when you thought, there would be no one to replace the legendary pair of Asif and Amir, who had made a reputation of being best in the business and were destined to become all time greats in the mode of Wasim and Waqar until the dreaded controversy struck once again on Pakistan cricket’s doors and it led to the exit of the finest talents on display in world cricket who had made life of all top batsmen and batting lineups around the world miserable be it India’s hyped batting lineup at Karachi in 2006 or Aussie and English batting on England tour in 2010, 11 wkts of Asif against Lankan lineup in 2006 to win Pakistan a series in Lanka or around 17 wkts at an average around 19 in South Africa 2007 for Asif or tremendous display in the t20 World Cup 2009 by Amir in his debut tournament displaying his skills by reigning in tournament’s top run-getter Dilshan in the final and getting rid of him finally.

All of this you thought could not be replicated but Pakistan has the unprecedented ability of churning out one talented fast bowler after another. Latest on display is Junaid Khan who was tipped to be the next Mohd Amir by our media even before he had bowled a single ball at intl level. Junaid Khan has proven himself to be just that earning praise for his hard work. He picked up 14 scalps in the test series against Slanka at a low average of around 25 when senior bowlers like Umar Gul, Mohammad Sami and Aizaz Cheema could only pick 2 wkts combined in 3 tests! And yet Pakistan selectors have a habit of surprising everyone did just that by ignoring him for the T20 World Cup.

The reason they cited was that he is more suited for test format. A bowler who is high on confidence would do well in any format compared to likes of inconsistent Sami and Gul. Gul although you would say is the best going around when it comes to T20 format. Sohail Tanveer has offlate found his mojo back but seriously there was no reason to drop an upcoming talent like Junaid Khan for t20 World Cup and he should have been selected in place of Mohammad Sami whom I rate very highly too when it comes to shorter formats. Sami has an average of 28 in odis and did reasonably well on Lanka tour in shorter formats. But still he was the one in place of whom Junaid Khan should have gotten a nod for his excellent performance in test series.

Now on the topic whether Junaid Khan is the best in the business at present time. I think it would be premature to say that. The talent is for everyone to see and is on display. At the moment, there are no great bowlers of the caliber of Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib Akhtar at international level. Last of that breed was the pair of Asif and Amir, Steyn and Morkel have pace and energy and they can unsettle any lineup on their day but have yet to trouble a batting lineup like the likes of Asif and Amir did consistently on England tour 6 tests against world class battings of England and Australia and the way Asif did against India in 2006 test series Karachi, his display against India where he was unplayable in the first t20 World Cup and nipped out 4 top Indian batters with amazing skill in T20 World Cup final of 2007. Anderson and Broad were sensational in the 4 nil routing of India at home but were recently very ordinary against South Africa conceding 637 for 2. So emergence of Junaid Khan on intl scene is a welcome sign for cricket lovers. Lets hope he lives up to his promise. Umar Gul has been around for ages it seems but he has yet to make it big at test level and even at odi level. He is good but not in the league of pair of Asif and Amir and latest Junaid.

Why I curse Pakistan selectors so much besides ignoring Junaid Khan for World T20 for a long time they ignored one of the world’s best and proven hitting talents in Imran Nazir for t20 format and selecting the likes of Shahzaib, Imran Farhat, Ahmed Shahzad, Khalid Latif, Fawad Alam and Asad Shafiq ( Fawad and Asad both very good test players but nowhere t20 players). They have gone for experience mostly this time for the big event which is the right thing to do. At the same time they have picked talented Raza Hassan in place of proven Abdur Rehman. Now this I would say is not the right choice n o matter how good Raza Hassan maybe but preference should have been experience and proven talent at intl level. Recalling likes of Razzaq, Kamran Akmal and Imran Nazir is a great idea and any team would gladly want likes of Imran and Razzaq in their t20 teams and Kamran has done well as top order player in shorter formats.

Series against India is coming up at the end of December and is highly anticipated. The battle between Ajmal and India’s batsmen is highly awaited one. Ajmal has troubled Tendulkar and gotten rid of him last time they played too. Virat Kohli announced himself on international stage by scoring 183 in the Asia Cup game. How he will face up to Ajmal, Afridi, Junaid and Hafeez will be interesting to watch. If a test series is played between these two countries, Pakistan will have an edge because we now have settled combination in tests in both batting and bowling.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 7
    • List
  2. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    I dont think he is the best fast bowler in the world. The little i have seen of the kid, he is very impressive but he is not there yet. I am not sure if it was the best decision not to choose him for the T20 world cup. He seems to be the most talented fast bowler in Pakistan right now, and usually Pakistanis throw their kids into the wild and see what they made of. I dont know maybe they think the pitches in srilanka may not suit junaid type of bowling with the white ball. I would have liked to see more of this kid, but maybe right now its just good for him to concentrate in test match cricket. At some point we will see him play limited overs cricket aswell, we wont have to wait too long.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  3. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Nope.

Not close to the best who is Steyn.

But has lot of potential and can reach there one day.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  4. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    There are still a lot of challenges he has to face. He has only established himself in Test Matches yet, you can't just call someone the best bowler in the world till he proves to be it in all formats of the game and another major problem for him is his injury-proneness, he should get some advice by former greats such as Waqar Younis, Wasim Akram and Shoaib Akhtar.

but yeah, he's got a lot of potential to be the worlds best.

• List
  5. Chishti

Chishti Formerly 'Winsome'

Jan 27, 2012
    I think this is very early to call him a best bowler yet he is a good bowler.
    But you can't decide because of 1 or 2 serieses.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 5
    • List
  6. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    this is ridiculous....

Junaid, who has been giving a medicore performance for most of the time in his career, performs good in one match, and people think hes the best fast bowler in the world...

Not to forget, that his performance came in a test match, but people are upset that based on his performance in test, he is not being selected for T20....

It's funny, that people don't bother to look at Aizaz Cheema's case, who has proven to be a good bowler in t20(or atleast better then Junaid inT20) but was ignored.

7. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    Shahrukh, why are you so much obsessed with bad-looking, dull and ugly sportsmen?

Last time I checked, even Homos did not like them.

• List
  8. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    well i don't go on looks, i go with their performance...

Besides, no one is ugly, don't criticize God's creation..

• List
  9. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Then maybe your brain only works partially

Junaid who has performed much better even though he is getting minimum chances = Rubbish, because Shahrukh(aka confused boy) prefers Cheema

Junaid is a talent we need to support and play.

Cheema is unlucky and got picked when he is old and finished.

Better to invest in younger talented bowlers for the future.

10. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    No where near the best but he can surely be a good bowler or perhaps even become the world's best bowler in the years to come. He will really need to work hard on his fitness levels as that plays a major role in today's game as it's quite demanding with tests, odi's and T20's now plus with the leagues being played around the world too.

He's still young and with plenty of time on his hands so he can only get better and hopefully with some guidance throughout his cricketing career will put him in good stead in the time to come and Pakistan will surely have a really good bowler as their asset in the time to come, Insha'Allah.

11. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    At present, the best fast bowler going around in Pakistan is Umar Gul despite his inconsistencies. Junaid Khan is a decent bowler and will improve with age but its very early to be associating him with the best in the business currently.

12. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    Good news for all Junaid khan fans

he has been nominated in category for ICC Emerging Player for Year.

• List
  13. CricketFan96

CricketFan96 Smooth Operator

Aug 4, 2012
    I have a simple answer to this thread, N-O spells NO!

• List
  14. CricketFan96

Aug 4, 2012
    How can he be the best fast bowler when there are such players as Dale Steyn and Mohammad Amir if you prefer.

15. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Gul has been bad aswell... If we go by the recent Sri Lankan odi series, then.......... Tanvir is our best bowler currently lmao...

16. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Aug 31, 2011
    come on man

leave out personal attacks
    he isn't saying anything remotely cynical to you

you both just have different POV

as for OP, junaid khan can be the best if introduced on bowling pitches. i can see him taking many 5fers

its just annoying because just when he starts to perform, he is dropped from other formats and he now has to wait for a long time for next test series. where will his rhythm and confidence be ?

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 7
    • List
  17. CricketFan96

Aug 4, 2012
    Sharukh916 what kind of guy are you, why are you bringing CUCKARI in this?

18. Chishti

Jan 27, 2012
    Agree with you in principle but Cheema is not handy much because he is over aged and might not bowl after year or two. At present we've just one fast bowler who deserves to be called best in Pakistan is Umar Gull.

• List
  19. Chishti

Jan 27, 2012
    Tanveer and best bowler? Did you drink?

• List
  20. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    plz read the whole post.. I think you missed the part where it said, If we go by the recent Sri Lankan odi series,.....

Lool did you drink? Atleast say it properly

21. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Cheema is 32.. THe only problem for a bowler is his fitness level, and Cheema has got a good fitness level, even after playing 10 years of domestic cricket on flat pitches of Pakistan... If Someone like AKhtar, who had fitness problems all the time, could go on to play odis till the age of 36, then why not Cheema.. Infact, even at this age, Cheema could play all three formats

22. Chishti

Jan 27, 2012
    Agreed. But i still think that we should give chances to youngsters like Junaid, Haris etc etc because they might be huge asset for team.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  23. Chishti

Jan 27, 2012
    You drank though had just a sip lol.
    You said about Junaid that he performed well in single series can't give him award and its not proved that he is best bowler than how Tanvir as u said performed well in recent sl series could be best bowler for us?

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 6
    • List
  24. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    when did i siad that Junai is not the best bowler, i only send he should be given an award based on one series... Emerging player award -- someone emerging to be good player, for which i think Nasir Hossain deserves...

Now, i said if we go by the sri lnak series, Tanvir is the best out of them... WHy, because he showed a better performance then everyone.. I'm not calling tanvir a legend or anything, not even all time best..

And Junaid was our best bowler in Test again Sri Lanka

25. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
  26. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011

:rofl

shahrukh619
    adnanulhaq97

• List
  27. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    • List
  28. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    I don't like comparisons but Tbh Junaid has already done better than Aamir, Aamir had two good series in Australia and England ( seaming conditions)

Junaid yet to play a match in those conditions.

• List
  29. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    Junaid is a FTB(the bowler kind :p )

• List
  30. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    Here is my personal opinion about Junaid Khan and M. Amir comparison.

Junaid has been playing international cricket since 2010 and was among the talented bunch of left-handers emerging after Amir had been gone. He was lucky to be playing ahead of Sadaf and the other guy I can't remember, however, he certainly had more potential than others and so would it be proven later on.
    Junaid has a bright future ahead of him mainly due to the effort and hard work he puts in to bowl. He gives his hundred percent when bowling and even Wasim Akram was full of praise in his commentary for the stamina he has built to bowl straight 7 over spell. He said that it means he is doing his homework, putting a lot of effort doing his daily laps and bowling otherwise such stamina isn't seen in most bowlers.

Amir on the other hand was an exceptionally talented bowler who was seen as a rare talent even in his youth. I remember reading a thread on PP about an unknown bowler at the age of 15 who amazed everyone in an ordinary match. Turns out it was Amir, the same guy would destroy Australia's batting line-up at the age of 17.
    He had every thing in his weaponry at that age, from pace to bounce to swing to variations, Every damn thing a bowler needs.I just can't write more about his abilities, it pains a lot, believe me. This is probably my first piece on Amir after he served his ban, never could write how I felt about him.

As a conclusion, I would say it is completely unfair to compare Amir with any emerging bowler (Starc, Cummins, Yadav) let alone Junaid Khan. Junaid can achieve a lot but that is due to his commitment, honesty and hard work and if that was put into Amir I am sure he would have been the Wasim Akram of today.

• List
  31. Ahson8

Ahson8 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 9, 2012
    He is an amazing bowler
    But he is not the best bowler in the world, although with continued hard work he can get there easily.

32. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    He's amazing, he's great, he's an excellent prospect, he's an exciting talent but ahead of Morkel, Steyn or even Anderson? At this point, no.

• List
  33. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

34. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    I don't like comparisons either but Aamir was a few years younger than Junaid as well. So you can't really compare the 2. Who knows how much Aamir would have developed by now?

35. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
  36. shainz

shainz Talented

Apr 8, 2012
    nah long way to go for this lad.....got potential to b for sure

37. munirnadeem

munirnadeem Emerging Player

Aug 9, 2011
    I think that was great article. But I do not agree with him being the best yet, what ever happened to the likes of Philander or even Pattison

38. Pakistan97

Pakistan97 Tracer Bullet

Sep 7, 2010
    he needs a lot to prove yet.
    for me he is in learning phase and when he shows good figures it will make difference

39. Pakistan97

Pakistan97 Tracer Bullet

Sep 7, 2010
    and i think all so that aamir was a bit more intelligent than him.

• List
  40. munirnadeem

munirnadeem Emerging Player

Aug 9, 2011
    I agree, Aamir was more intelligent and faster, on that topic anyone here when he can be back?, like what date?

Imagine Aamir and Junaid Bowling, with Irfran coming up behind them, then we have Ajmal and Hafeez, or that other new kid who opens with as a spinner.