1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Is NRR the correct way to determine qualification?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Fireworks11, Jul 3, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    I don’t think it is.

The last 2 games should be enough evidence that in certain situations teams won’t even attempt to go for a win, rather protect their NRR. Made it into a bizarre odd game, on Sunday and today.

Making a mockery of the beautiful game. Should always play to win. That’s what the fans who pay big money come to see. They want a good game of cricket not someone taking 3-4 an over and refusing singles.

There should be a straight KO game for those on the same points at position 4 and 5.

2. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    It can be unfair, that one massive loss against WI has pretty much ended our hopes via NRR.

3. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    We had the chance to improve it against SA and Afghanistan but seems like we didnt care

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. thair9999

thair9999 Emerging Player

Oct 17, 2010
    Correct or not, it was equal for everyone at start.

5. PakistanZindabad!

PakistanZindabad! Cornered Tiger

Sep 29, 2012
    Or they should use head to head result. Maybe I’m just biased because that would’ve got us through lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    You think like this because our railu katta team did not qualify due to this method.

Had this run rate method favored us to edge out NZ and move ahead to reach the Semis, you will be jumping up and down with joy and pleasure.

7. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
    Regardless, better to address it now than later. So if a team has one massive defeat it’s basically game over in terms of NRR.

If u think sides that aren’t playing for a win and spoiling the game for a sold out crowd who are here to see a game of cricket not a game, not to see a side absolutely making no effort at all for a win, that’s up to u. Not sporting at all.

8. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
    good point. I think this was used before. Head to head before NRR. Don’t know when they changed it..

9. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    This was also mentioned by Charles Colville who felt Pak fans should be feeling unlucky.

10. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    We tried hence Imam got out the way he did. Also, we dropped multiple catches and Amir bowled some rubbish at the death to let SA score 60+ in last 10.

Sarfraz was visibly unhappy at that time.

11. Sajj007

Sajj007 Youngsta Beauty

Jun 19, 2019
    Certainly agai afganistan the condi didn't allow for us to improve it, it was like a minefield when Pakistan batted

12. Gotham Cronie

Gotham Cronie Youngsta Beauty

Jan 14, 2015
    Thank you for stating the obvious and contributing nothing to this thread.

13. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    i believe on any team this is harsh, main objective is to win the game, putting NRR factor is a stupid additional pressure.

they should come up with something better, head to head seems like a good option at this point

14. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Talking about “the obvious”, was it obvious to you that India purposely lost to England - I bet not. :)

15. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    Agree. There are better ways like head to head or bonus point but for time being we had to settle with NRR and after being humiliated in first game, we should have looked at every posssible opportunity to improve NRR

16. harsha

harsha Youngsta Beauty

Nov 17, 2013
    Same for every team , hence Fair.

Should be looking at H2H wins or something else in the future though

17. Gotham Cronie

Jan 14, 2015
    Michael Holding "Pakistan should be in the semi-finals if they beat Bangladesh. NRR should be the last thing to consider. If points & wins are equal then the result between both teams should be deciding factor. Since Pakistan beat New Zealand they should be in semi-finals"

18. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    I think it is fair because it measures for consistency across the tournament.

Unfortunately, you can’t lose like you did to the West Indies and then expect to make it through when you have the same number of wins against another team. Not to mention, you aren’t convincingly beating the other teams either - games against Afg and NZ were so close. The team made no effort to bundle SA out earlier, with the number of catches they dropped.

That’s really the story here.

19. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    It also doesnt take into account the variations of conditions. I mean losing by 20 runs on a rank turner in one game shouldn't be compensated by winning by a tight 20 run margin on a flat pancake.

If two teams are tied it should go into a head to head record. If head to head is tied or draw then it should go into NRR BUT I think to add more competitiveness the NRR against the bottom ranked side should not be counted. Some football tournaments also dont count goal difference against shit teams. I dont mathematically what the best way to work this out in cricket is.

Also would wickets taken vs wickets lost not be a fair method rather than NRR.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
    Nailed in. The great Michael agrees with me.

21. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
  22. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
  23. pat

pat Banned

Nov 25, 2018
    What do you think he will say if it was Eng getting kicked out instead of NZ due to H2H?

24. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
    He would say the same.

25. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    Exactly!

Where was this thread when India was kicked out of the WT20 in 2012 because of one terrible game they had against Australia? Pak fans were celebrating then.

Sore losers.

26. pat

pat Banned

Nov 25, 2018
    Binary choice. you are naive beyond belief or biased as one can be. which one is it?

27. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
    expected reply from u. Michael Holding and I both can’t be wrong. Many share my same view.

28. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    ^^ LOL.

This is like saying for a question that has a Yes/No answer, if the correct answer is Yes and two random people answered No, then No becomes the correct answer.

Kounsa sasta nasha kiya tha yeh post karne se pehle? :D

29. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    They got knocked out fair and square according to current rules.

Yes head to head then NRR makes sense however NRR then head to head also means teams should concentrate on each game!

Difficult to say which is better. I'm inching for head to head as it means it adds importance to playing your best game against your competitors

30. pat

pat Banned

Nov 25, 2018
    now Poor Pak fans have to choose between an undeserving team (NZ) and India. Love it.

31. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Who the hell says we have to choose? Idgaf about any team except Pakistan. Just wanna see a good match and may the best team win.

Get out of here with your lame attitude and point scoring. Absolutely pathetic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  32. pat

pat Banned

Nov 25, 2018
    I applaud on you being cricket fan. My money however is the you would be a small minority among Pak fans.

33. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    plot twist

its year 2020
    we are playing the world t20
    icc changes rule to head 2 head
    we finish 5th because we lost to no 4 even though our NRR is above theirs

34. pat

pat Banned

Nov 25, 2018
    There will posts moaning about how NRR is the better way to go.

Real men live with their ups and downs on an even keel. don't whine about pre existing rules

35. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    Instead of focusing on india you are still obsessed with Pak!

36. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    Australia aur SL bhi bikk gaye :smh

37. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    Stupid! Not all loss is due to under performance, which we clearly saw in earlier match.Also in any case Aus and Sl match were of hardly any consequence.

38. Gotham Cronie

Jan 14, 2015
    How is this relevant? Is anybody that the rules should be changed mid-tournament?

39. pat

pat Banned

Nov 25, 2018
    Becos it is the equivalent of saying, "you should have zigged when you zagged"

There is no good end to the tiebreakers. similar to college football rankings in the US or brexit. ~50% leaning one way and ~50% the other way