1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Is PSL 4 boring ?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, Feb 28, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    I dont know if its only me or everyone of you feel the same.

PSL brand was supposed to improve with every passing season but the overall standard including the crowd hasnt improved one bit, in fact it has gone downward. No really exciting talent apart from few glimpses of some upcoming players.

Hardly watched any full game.

Worst part is the standard of batsman, especially Pakistani ones.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Slightly, the same feeling is not there as was for 1–3 edition.

I only watch some parts when any talented player is playing but so far Pakistan batsman have flopped with exception of few Intl players and this just proves the theory that the guys playing Intl are the best that are playing.

Only Umar Siddiq, Umar Akmal and to an extent Umar Amin have performed.

3. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Definitely not feeling the same involvement as previous editions.

1. Way too many forced advertisements. The broadcast quality and commentary team is bakwas
    2. Injuries esp to players like Hafeez, Narine, Nasim Shah
    3. Star players like Afridi and Misbah not showing much interest obviously due to their age. Sammy factor is also wearing off. Even many other big players like KP are being missed. Apart from AB, no other player is exciting
    4. Most of the teams look unsettled and carrying passengers
    5. Games haven't been too competitive in general.

4. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Started off with a bang with some very close games. The last few games have been a bit lowkey.

The crowd seems to be more at Sharjah compared to Dubai and definitely more boisterous. Stadium at Dubai is always more empty.

The lack of star players is the main reason, not many big name players are playing this year.

The positives of the league are the upcoming new players we wouldn’t have witnessed without the PSL, such as Haris Rauf, Mohammad Hasnain and to a degree, Umar Siddique.

5. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    The quality of international players is decreasing as every year passes. Even the ones that are there don't seem to be performing too well.

Seems to be the downfall of forcing them to go to Pakistan in their contracts - and as Afridi mentioned, the IPL teams also tell their players not to play in the PSL if they want a contract.

6. Gotham Cronie

Gotham Cronie Youngsta Beauty

Jan 14, 2015
    I guess I'm in the minority and have enjoyed this season.

Not sure what all the fuss about the foreign players is about, this year seems stronger than other years.

• AB de Villiers
    • Colin Monro
    • James Vince
    • Shane Watson
    • Steve Smith (injured, but he was drafted)
    • Luke Ronchi
    • Liam Livingstone
    • Colin Ingram
    • Keiron Pollard
    • Andre Russell
    • Daniel Christian
    • Corey Anderson
    • Sunile Narine
    • Dwayne Bravo
    • Sandeep Lamichhane

Hasan Ali has been on fire and bowled some amazing spells.

The emerging bowling talent in Haris Rauf, Umer Khan, Muhammad Musa, Mohammad Hasnain has been great to watch.

Hell, we're even getting to see the likes of Fakhar Zaman and Shadab Khan captain.

Yes, the crowds in Dubai suck, but it's a necessary evil for the time being.

7. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Expecting a large number of new and better Pakistani batsmen is an unrealistic and unreasonable expectation.

It's like having a lemon tree and hoping to harvest apples.

We have a shitty domestic cricket standard, and a shitty domestic cricket environment, that produces an even shittier batsmen. What's the surprise here?

8. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Bored of cricket overall

9. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Perhaps it's because we are watching too much of it now.

Every league and every board is hungry to as much money as it can and suck the last penny out of every moment.

It's 24/7 cricket all over the world now - quantity has taken over quality.

10. Red Devil

Red Devil Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 15, 2013
    I was really enjoying it but all this war baqwas has been a major distraction. Makes it hard to enjoy and focus on cricket, or anything else for that matter.

11. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    Same feelings, to some extent. - I still only find PAK international cricket interesting.

I watched most of the PAK v SA series and wasn't bored for a minute, these T20 leagues are way too long and repetitive. A match here and there might be interesting to watch, especially if you don't have anything else to do, but to follow each and every match of a league as if it is the World Cup drains you out.

12. Gotham Cronie

Jan 14, 2015
    Believe PSL is the shortest league?

13. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    I get that, I'm just not a fan of this T20 overload. Have never watched IPL, BPL, Big Bash etc either.

14. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Has to be played in Pakistan to make it exciting. Was at Khi-Lhr game yesterday and the mahol was OKish.

15. Gotham Cronie

Jan 14, 2015
    There is some fatigue with the same 3 teams at the top each year.

16. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Tbh all franchise cricket is a bit dull and gets boring fast. PSL is no exception.

17. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    I've lost interest. During the first week or so I barley missed a match and was keen on seeing how a few young players perform. But the matches have become boring now and I'm tired of seeing the same useless faces getting the nod. How long did it take for Quetta to play Hasnain? Same goes fo Zafar Gohar. Who wants to see the likes of Samir Patel and Ravi Bopara playing when better players are sitting on the bench?

The matches have gotten boring and the lack of crowd sizes also plays a part. I hope things improve when the do move to Pakistan because right now it definitely has not lived up to the hype.

18. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    No matches this weekend??

19. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    2 rest days before moving onto AbuDhabi for the final UAE leg.

20. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Not just PSL but I think all of these T20 leagues are boring. They only get interesting at the end, the last few league games and the playoffs.

I think the PSL and all other T20 leagues are just too long. They should have 2 games a day, sometimes even 3 games a day and finish it off in 3 weeks.

21. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    The longer these leagues drag on for, the boring they get (IPL). Should last three wks max.

22. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I think this is the main thing. People are not into cricket or sports in general as much as they used to be.

Instant gratification hits like twitter and instagram along with 5 to 10 minute attention spans created by YouTube binging means we just dont have the patience EVEN for 4 hour games anymore.

It's crazy to think half a decade ago we were happy to sit there for 5 days to watch a boring draw.

The other day, some of my friends were saying that football matches drag on for too long.

23. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    I agree. When I watch any football game I usually switch in and out, thats despite being a fan of football. I watched the recent United vs PSG game but got bored after few mins so started switching in and out.

You are correct in saying that 5 minute perks of youtube videos are much more fun now.

Only time sport is entertaining now is when you play yourself

24. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    The results are also too predictable. I think out of the 20 odd matches played so far only 1 or 2 have been won batting first. Every other team won batting second.

This year's PSL is way too toss-dependant. No point watching when you know the team chasing will always win.

25. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    This is actually an interesting discussion.

I think there are various factors as posted by various members above.

As I stated before, one of them is, "It's just too much of it."

The pace bowlers are tired and lethargic. Their bodies simply can't cope with so much cricket.

Instead of attacking and intimidating the batsman, pace bowlers now try to avoid getting hit for a six. The entire mindset of a pacer has been reversed.

Charm of pace bowling has been choked to death.

And then, the format and rule changes (which killed the charm of pace bowling) also created a fake excitement and brought instant gratification in terms of money.

But at the same time, rules that were bent on their back to favor the batsmen, have backfired.
    I think this has hurt the game of cricket more than anything else.

Freaking, tree trunks are used in the name of cricket bats, in grounds smaller than my kitchen.

When was the last time we saw batmen running four runs?

I remember watching crowds jump out of their seats and dance in joy when a 4 was hit - These days, people literally yawn at sixes.

It's six after six after six after six. I mean, you can't scare them for long with the same alligator. People are now bored of watching this dramatized crap no matter how much the commentator tries to put fake excitement in it.

That galore of sixes and 3 cheap Russian prostitutes dancing among 20 thousand pakora smelling crowd, created some great excitement in the start - but now, the fake glitter has lost it's charm.
    Other leagues quickly copied IPL to quickly make bug bucks, but it simply added more to the same.

A couple of decades ago, I had no interest in American baseball but believe me, I am now a bigger fan of watching Major League American baseball than these third class T20 games.

There is a much tougher competition between super-fit athletes. Every team has super stars and every team's player are fit and strong like a Tarzan.

A team has to work it's rear end off to score a single run. The competition is super tough.

The rules in baseball are same for decades - nothing is changed and the games are still as exciting as it gets.

IMO, in cricket we have been put on a path where it's hard to turn back - so what's the solution?

I think the first one is to increase the size of the boundary line.

Any cricket cricket ground that has a centimeter less than 80 meters boundary line in any direction, should be banned from international cricket.
    If you want to a six - be a man !
    A freaking miss-hit should be caught and not reward the batsman with 6 runs.

Remove this freak of a free-hit rule.
    This is absolutely ridiculous !!
    You can perhaps increase the penalty of front foot no-ball to two or three runs - but no free hit.

Allow unlimited bouncers per over.
    If a batsman can hit a bowler with as many sixes as he wants in one over, then why can't a bowler send as many bouncers as he wants in the same over?

Bat edge size should be a maximum of 35 mm.

These changes will separate boys from men.

And finally, put a lid on the number of T20 games. The very high number of these Tamasha leagues have really watered down the interest.

It's very hard to stop it now but ICC should sit with all boards and come up with a plan to cap it.
    I thought of some suggestions but that's a different topic.

26. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    These 2 days breaks every week are also not helping much. It just kills the buzz and take away attention as a fan.

27. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    And to make it worse, the break is on a freaking weekend when you had a chance to pull bigger crowds.

28. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    And they are giving Abu Dhabi all games only on weekdays which is again unfair with fans living there.

I know there are logistical challenges involved and having some logistics experience for high profile events in UAE, I still don't understand these 2 day breaks in between games in 2 different cities. Its not like they have to cover a large road distance here... Sharjah and Dubai are adjacent cities while Abu Dhabi is hardly an hour away from Dubai.

29. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Yes, this season is nothing like PSL1-3.

Thought it was just me also. Boring season, rubbish coverage.

30. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
    I dont agree totally.

I mean your points are true, people have lower attention spans and what not, but there will always be an audience for all three formats of the game. The challenge is to take the product to them.

In this case, Tests need context and to be played at friendlier hours, ODI's need to actually give bowlers a chance so the format can retain its own identity and t20 tournaments need to be properly planned. They all drag on 1-2 weeks longer than necessary nowadays.

31. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    I like your post but let's be real about baseball in America. It's a 162 game season and the viewership has been slowly dwindling as the NBA picks up a larger fan base.

32. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    The dwindling viewership of baseball in America is greatly exaggerated. Teams that are good like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, etc always sell out and get excellent TV ratings too.

33. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I don't think there are any younger generation test cricket fans who want to watch it at the ground, other than in India and maybe Australia. Test cricket will become a side sport within a generation.

34. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
    On the contrary I think in countries like here, NZ etc, while it'll never amass large spectators except in the case of local derbies, the prospect of going down to the ground at 11 with a few mates and enjoying a few beers with a Test on is actually quite appealing....

Then again I probably just have the mind of a sixty year old pensioner.

35. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    pyjama cricket hai, its not really aimed at hard core cricket fans. from the little ive seen pakistani batsmen are terrible, the emerging players this season arent as exciting too.

finally ive been saying this forever, cricket in the uae is boring. the pitches are all the same, the venues similar, the games are every day pretty much.

there is a famous quote by C L R James, what do they know of cricket who only cricket know, and i feel t20s leagues are for those who only cricket know, not in a positive way.

still its a means of earning a living for pak crickters so its good, but the psl has to go to pak for the full season. and not just lahore karachi, you need home and away venues.

i know for sure zalmi playing in arbab niaz would be a complete different game, going back to the earlier quote. a dude hitting a ball is not cricket.

36. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    No it has been good this year.

I know why you think it is boring haha.

It's his own fault for leaving Zalmi because he has been useless everywhere else

37. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    hate to admit it but its been pretty boring for me. sad to see second tier international rejects like samit Patel are titans in comparison to our front line let alone bench strength. really was fighting the sentiment, but have lost - its uninspiring.

38. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    I don't think this season has been boring. It has actually gotten repetitive kind of with almost empty stands. Crowd is the main problem, otherwise its fine.

39. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    I just watched the first innings between Karachi and Quetta - and it felt as if, even the players are bored.
    There is hardly any spark and any passion.