It's too soon to write-off Babar Azam: Sarfaraz Ahmed

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
    Sarfaraz Ahmed speaking at a press conference after the match :

"Sri Lanka played better cricket than us"

"We lacked in batting and none of our players' played a big innings which cost us"

"All credit to the Sri Lanka bowlers, especially their spinners"

"The thinking today was to play positive cricket and to rotate the strike"

"This was my first series as a Test captain and it was tough as the requirements for a Test captain are different from other formats"

"Winning the toss is important when playing matches in Asia, but even then we came close to winning in both Tests"

"If more of us had played the type of innings Asad played, then we could have done better in the series"

"We cannot say that we had problems due to openers as even when they gave us a good start we still did not capitalize as no one could play a long innings"

"We wanted to use Azhar Ali in the middle order as we wanted to make it stronger"

"We could not convest the 50s to 100s and did not have big partnerships"

"We did play a practice match in Lahore so it would not be right to say we did not prepare well"

"We did not play fast enough at the start of the 2nd innings"

"Asad and I thought that if we played attacking cricket then we could get ourselves out if this situation"

"We did our homework on all bowlers including Rangana Herath"

"Babar Azam is a talented players and I accept his performances in Tests have not been that good but it is too soon to write him off"

"Babar Azam needs to be backed so that he can put in good performances for Pakistan in the future"

"We didnt play 2 spinner as we felt that we had some good fast-bowlers in the shape of Mohammad Amir and Hasan Ali"

"Our batting was the main difference rather than our bowling"

"We did not take the Sri Lankans lightly"

"Sami Aslam made some mistakes but he is young and hopefully he will make amends and comeback to the team again"

"There is pressure on me as I have lost a Test series but I will try and ignore that as we have a good record in ODIs"

Asad Shafiq :

"The ball was new and regardless of the time of the day, it will move more in the first 10 overs"

"We had planned overnight that we would have to tackle the fast-bowlers with the new ball but unfortunately that plan did not work"

"If this partenership between Sarfaraz and I had been prolonged a bit then the result would have been different"

"My last few innings were not that good but I was more positive when I came to play this innings"

"I was attacking from the start because these quality bowlers will not give you easy runs"

"When the team management asked me where I felt comfortable playing, I said number 4"

"Due to the big gap in Tests, I could not prepare as well for Tests I would have hoped for"

2. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Cricistani

Jul 17, 2017
    It's better to start off weak but have that Jem in you then too start off good and fade away.

Shai hope is an example.

3. Shaz130

Shaz130 Cricistani

Dec 29, 2016
    I agree its too soon to blame Babar. He needs ore Test cricket to develop.

4. Wapas

Wapas Member

Sep 10, 2017
    5 duck in Test

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  5. Wapas

Wapas Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Next we will be at Lords and Leeds no way i allows him to bats there

Baba ne apne yahan nahin thoka
    Bahaar to kya marega?

6. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    The Headingly test match will be particularly difficult,It's hard to bat and it's hard to get a bowling plan together,Lords will suite them better.

7. baqir

baqir Cricistani

Sep 17, 2012
    Babar should stick to limited-overs.

8. Shaz130

Shaz130 Cricistani

Dec 29, 2016
    What if he scores a century there and leaves you speechles like all the other fangirls he has?

9. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Might not have Fan Girls,All the girls go running after The man Hassan Ali.

10. Shaz130

Shaz130 Cricistani

Dec 29, 2016
    Babar looks hotter with the bat.

11. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Okay,The lad needs some confidence though.

12. Shaz130

Shaz130 Cricistani

Dec 29, 2016
    I believe in him. He will show performances inshallah.

13. Energy

Energy Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Sarfi talking some sense finally.

Saw him with Babar and Shan in Dubai Festival City the other day.

14. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Asad should not bat at 4.

Babar should play more FC matches and then come into test team. He does not know how to play in test Cricket.

15. Wapas

Wapas Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Khota sikka

Test mein nahi Chale ga
    Aaj 6 Mara
    Century

16. Wapas

Wapas Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Yes
    I think USMAN SALAUDDIN deserves with 47 domestic Ave

17. Shaz130

Shaz130 Cricistani

Dec 29, 2016
    When this guy gets going in Tests expect some biggies. Never say never as the great Justin Beibir says.

18. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    I just have that feeling that he won't get going in Tests,Good players show their True colours early,In some cases their first match but Babar hasn't got going and even if they do stick with him in tests he will be a guy that will average around 40 if he pulls his socks up,In Odis he is a pillar,No more 220s,This was the guy we needed during that lame period of 2013-15 in Odis although I'm happy he hasn't played under Captain Misbah,What more do you want,Babar knows that 280-300 is a good defendable target for our team as we may not be a super advanced ODI team but they back themselves to defend lower scores,Also if your no3 has a good relation with the openers it is very good for the team.Scored a slow but responsible century today.

19. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
    Like it or not, today's 100 was utterly selfish and then celebrated it as if he was shutting up his haters.

Sure I get it, they guy might be out of form, but it was a total different ball game.

On a wicket which had no pace in it, no real turn, against a toothless mediocre attack, who deserve 350+ total against them, Bobby darling was tying one end. Not to mention all other players on the other end were scoring at more then a run a ball with ease. The whole inns lacked momentum due to Babar failing to rotate strike early on or even accelerate later in inns. He wasn't even looking for the boundary in the death overs, which is baffling.

He is out no.3, which supposed to be your best player, but he lacks the ability of taking charge of the innings. You cant expect from him to single highhandedly take charge on a bowler in an over. I've seen him playing with the same gear if he's playing against a strike bowler vs. part timer. And this is the biggest different in between him and players like Root, Smith, Kane and Kholi. They control the innings momentum, attach on weak bowlers and at times, if situation demands then even on strike bowlers, they hit the ball hard, other batsmen play around them. But this is not the case with our Bobby darling.

He's young, and I really wish the he develop his game and add that missing gear in this batting. Its okay to start slow, but once you cross 50+, then you should bat with SR 90/95 or 100+.

20. Shaz130

Shaz130 Cricistani

Dec 29, 2016
    I am still trying to figure out why he can't get going in Tests? If he can score a century like this it puzzles me why he can't do the same in Tests? This right here is a mystery to me. Would like to know from him on that. I just hope he proves people wrong. Becomes a better Test batsmen.

21. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Joe Root didn't take the limited overs game by the scruff of the neck,He averaged around 40 and had a SR of 83 during the WC,yes but in Test all 3 showed early that they are going to average 50,Smith is a rare case,when he came in he was a No 8 with a slight bit of batting ability.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  22. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    I just feel he isn't suitable for Tests,In Odis you can get away with the shots he plays but Babar wants to score and if it's harder to score.If the bowler is bowling well he can fumble and really isn't a big wicket as he doesn't know how to deal with the pressure.

In Australia it was Hazlewood and Starc in West Indies it was Gabriel,Joseph and Chase against Sri Lanka it was Dilruwan Perera,Also he has a temperamental thing,He has got out atleast 4-5 times playing stupid shots.

23. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    In Odis he doesn't care who is bowling,Also he has got a good technique for ODI Cricket.

24. Shaz130

Shaz130 Cricistani

Dec 29, 2016
    If you observed his batting he played the ball sensibly. By avoiding bowls that are too far off. Played a nice backfoot punch as well. I don't thing his play style would only work in ODI's. I mean he is no Afridi. He is a sensible batsmen who is willing to fight it out. Thats what you need in Tests. Maybe he is able to see the white bowl better than the red cherry?

25. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
    Gulf of difference in between the said players game vs. Bobby darling. If you can't see it - not my problem.

26. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Not In Odis in fact he's on par with them in Odis in what I feel,In tests of course I feel there is huge differences and he won't get no where near an average of 50 but even if we do stick with him he can average 40,I actually feel Babar Has the potential to go past some of the top ODI Players,Even if he looses out on form and stuff he will by the end of his career have 25+ hundreds and a career average of 45+ and a SR of 92.

27. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Why do you hate Babar,What's he done to you?

28. Ghost

Ghost Member

Oct 12, 2017
    babar in longest run is in team planes bus abhi akal choti hai

29. Shaz130

Shaz130 Cricistani

Dec 29, 2016
    Babar has scored centuries. He is a threat to Fawad Alam's career. Must stop a young promising batsmen for a oldie.

30. godzilla

godzilla Cricistani

May 12, 2016
    its really not rocket science unless you have a single digit iq, or are so simple minded your love for his boyish looks blinds you from seeing any words beyond "fawad".

babar - innings 65, runs 2,035, average 34.5 = shit

alam - innings 220, runs 10,375, average 56.4 = excellent
    Salahuddin - innings 149, runs 5,912, average 47.3 = excellent

haris - innings 90, runs 4,025, average 51.60 = excellent
    fakhar - innings 61, runs 2,389, average 41.91 = good (especially as opener, compare to babar)
    azhar - innings 264, runs 9,922, average 41.51 = good
    shafiq - innings 191, runs 6,903, average 39.00 = average
    shehzad - innings 122, runs 4,857, average 41.51 = good (but of course played in the wrong format)
    imad - innings 114, runs 3,669, average 40.76 = good (especially as all rounder)
    Sarfraz - innings 214, runs 7,162, average 41.63

could it be any clearer? thats nine batsmen who are massively superior, most of them with much more experience too.

and before you ask the same for why the same people tend to criticise shan:

shan - innings 163, runs 5,197, average 33.74 = shit

any support of babar or shan for the test team, is a support for not picking the best batsmen in pakistan for the long format, and is why we are seeing the results we are. its very very very simple.

so the question is really, why do you love babar? what has he done to you?

31. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017

I would still pick Babar,As Malik said

We have got a talented player,Inzi and Mickey don't care about a 32 year old.

Don't care if you think he isn't good,He has got a massive 270 odd in FC cricket.

32. Bilal123

Bilal123 Cricistani

Dec 11, 2010
    A lot of people compare Babar to being the next Kohli. He may well become just as good as him in all formats eventually however what people have to realise is that right now he's only decent in LOI cricket.

Look at Kohli's career. He started off well in LOI's however he pretty much sucked in longer forms. It took him 3 years to make it to the test team and a further year or so to settle to the format.

Babar too is in the same boat for now (might possibly be worse). He's a mug in test cricket and needs to be given a chance to go work on his mental side and technique before he's called in for tests again. He looks absolutely lost atm.

BTW I'm aware India had decent batsmen in the test side which may have meant Kohli took time to come in nevertheless he still took time to grow into his role by playing FC

33. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    If I am right kohli's career didn't really kick start until after that 183 against us and his best innings till date against Sri Lanka at Hobart.

34. Bilal123

Bilal123 Cricistani

Dec 11, 2010
    I think his test career really kicked off after scoring 100's away in SA and Aus between 2013/14.
    Basically 5 years after his ODI debut!

35. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Yeh he had one Aussie series didn't he.

4 hundreds in 2014 against the Aussies in 4 Tests.

36. Bilal123

Bilal123 Cricistani

Dec 11, 2010
    That was beastly. I'm still amazed with the consistency. Man really is a run machine

37. godzilla

godzilla Cricistani

May 12, 2016
    difficult to argue with this in depth analysis.

what else would you expect malik to say to the press?
    well the 22 year old has done us very proud. hopefully the icc will change the rules so that tests will be won on as close as you can get to an age of 22 and on 'potential', rather than on actual runs. not much good that 266 has done him, has it?

38. godzilla

godzilla Cricistani

May 12, 2016
    good post.

there is another difference between Kohli and babar which his supporters seem blind to and is the elephant in the room.

Kohli was picked because his potential was visible in a first class average of over 51 in somewhere near 50 innings. babar is picked on his first class average of 34.5 in about 60 innings. there really is no comparison. Kohli has replicated that first class average in his test average of 50. babar has gone the same in his test average of 24.

there is an argument that at the start of his test career Kohli was slow, but with a fc average of 50+, its easy to make the case he would come good. how are people expecting that a player who cant average more than 35 in Pakistani first class (where other players are able to average much higher), suddenly in the highest form of the game against a much higher quality of bowlers in tougher conditions will be able to improve their performances by 60-80%?

how does this make any sense?

at the very best, you can say that his limited over form suggests he can play at the longer format, and so we should wait until he sorts out his form/mental block/technique/whatever in the fc game, and once he has, get him in the test side, but to do it now is stupid.

39. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    I hope he doesn't read this,

Bhai don't worry another century is coming today.

40. Shaz130

Shaz130 Cricistani

Dec 29, 2016
    Those numbers mean nothing to the real talent Babar presents. He is our best batsmen. The true savior of Pakistan cricket. Two digits won't make him worser. Instead of hoping for him to be a Kohli we must hope he is at his best still scoring runs.