James Anderson is world's best - Wasim Akram

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Namak_Halaal, Jul 31, 2013.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Namak_Halaal

Namak_Halaal Banned

May 12, 2012
    Pakistan great Wasim Akram believes England's James Anderson is the best bowler in the world.
    Anderson has taken 13 wickets in the first two Ashes Tests to help England to a 2-0 lead over Australia, ahead of the third at Old Trafford on Thursday.

The 31-year-old has 320 Test wickets, placing him third in England's all-time list behind Ian Botham and Bob Willis.

"Jimmy Anderson is leading from the front. For me he is the best bowler of this era," Wasim told BBC Sport.

"He does it consistently, with the new ball and the old ball."
    Left-arm quick Wasim and his Pakistan team-mate Waqar Younis tormented opposing batsmen in the late 1980s and 1990s with their expertise in reverse-swing bowling and Wasim recognises Anderson as a fellow master of the craft.
    "Jimmy is up there with me and Waqar because of the control he has," said Wasim, who played for Anderson's county side Lancashire between 1988 and 1998.
    "He was always good with the new ball, but with the old ball he is intelligent. He bowls five away-swingers, then one inswinger and takes a wicket.
    "Other England bowlers like Steven Finn and Stuart Broad try to alternate inswingers and outswingers, but if you do that your line or length won't be the same every ball you bowl."
    The International Cricket Council's Test bowler rankings have Anderson joint fifth, with South Africa's Dale Steyn at number one.
    Although Anderson's career average of 29.66 is significantly inferior to Steyn's 22.65, Wasim believes the Englishman has edged ahead in 2013, a year in which he has taken 32 wickets in seven Tests at 23.12.
    "I have seen Dale Steyn bowling with the old ball and he only bowls one delivery - the inswinger to the right-hander," added Wasim.
    "Steyn is one of the best in the world as well, but Jimmy is slightly ahead because he does a lot more with the old ball."
    Former England seamer Andy Caddick believes the world has still not seen the best of Anderson.
    Caddick, who played 62 Tests for England between 1993 and 2003, said: "He is in his prime now but he has got a few years left in him yet.
    "I think we will see a lot better bowling from Jimmy.
    "Now he is the finished article, he knows his game. When you start knowing your game as a bowler you are going to continue doing well."
    Anderson's next challenge is to help England clinch a victory at Old Trafford that would win them the Ashes with two matches to spare.
    It would be Australia's third successive Ashes series loss and former England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff believes it could be some time before they regain the famous urn.
    "Australia seem very much a work in progress and they are a long way away from competing - we are probably talking years," Flintoff told BBC Sport.
    "We have seen from England that it can take a while and I think they are playing for pride more than anything at the minute.
    "England should dominate for a few years now."
    Chris Tremlett, the 6ft 7in Surrey fast bowler, has been called into England's squad for Old Trafford, which traditionally produces quick and bouncy wickets.
    But Flintoff believes England should keep faith with Tim Bresnan, who took four wickets and scored a second-innings 38 in the 347-run victory at Lord's.
    "Everyone goes on about Old Trafford bouncing and being quick but it does suit bowlers that attack the stumps," said Flintoff, who was part of the England side that regained the Ashes after an 18-year wait in 2005.

"I would stick with Bresnan for this one because the pitch should be quite flat.

"They have sold out five days of Test cricket so the club will want five days of Test cricket so they get rewarded financially. You have to work hard to win at Old Trafford."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23512405

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not actually agree with Wasim.

Jimmy is a good bowler, but great? I don't think so.

2. Namak_Halaal

Namak_Halaal Banned

May 12, 2012
    What happened with the formatting? Edit will not let me change the formatting....

3. CricketFan96

CricketFan96 Smooth Operator

Aug 4, 2012
    A classy bowler but best in the world? Nah. Where did Shoaib Akhtar, Ian Botham, Imran Khan, Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram himself go behind this bowler. He still has a couple of years left in international cricket but I don't think he is the best bowler in the world. Just an opinion by Wasim.

4. Straight Drive

Straight Drive Emerging Player

Jul 27, 2013
    I clearly remember when Wasim said that Zaheer Khan was the best bowler in the world :clap

5. Namak_Halaal

Namak_Halaal Banned

May 12, 2012
    Yeah Wasim does change his opinion quite a bit.

I think he is looking at in terms of reversing the ball more than anything.

6. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    He means that Anderson is one of the best ball tamperer.

7. Top Spinner01

Top Spinner01 Tracer Bullet

Feb 27, 2013
    Wasim : "this particular youngster is best in the world" :p

8. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Wasim is in the UK right now..so the best bowler is anderson..come IPL time he's going ot go back to zaheer khan..

9. Sir John

Sir John Tracer Bullet

May 25, 2010
    James Anderson became master of reverse swing by watching Zaheer Khan

10. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    lol what bullcrap..he became effective after he learned the in cutter from Asif. google it you will find proof.

11. Sir John

Sir John Tracer Bullet

May 25, 2010
  12. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    :rofl:rofl where does it say that Andersen said that?..just because andersen was playing against india when zaheer took wickets doesnt mean that incident changed andersen's life. garbage! Its

this tells u the quality of the article.

13. bystander

bystander Emerging Player

Feb 18, 2013
    Anderson is very classy bowler who can swing both the old and new ball both ways,best at the moment maybe but when he was on display along side Amir and Asif.(sorry i've visited the past once again)................!?came a distant second in my honest opinion,because they were bowling against a formidable English line up helped by butterfingered fielders and he was bowling against possibly the poorest Pakistani batting line up helped by very good catchers!

14. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Smooth Operator

May 22, 2012
    Steyn is the World's best fast bowler.

Anderson can't even dream of doing this on one of India's flattest tracks.

15. Sir John

Sir John Tracer Bullet

May 25, 2010
  16. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
  17. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    You have to give Anderson credit. Always been majorly overhyped but now he at least deserves some of the hype. In 2007 he averaged 40, economy 3.7 and only showed up about once a year and was crap the rest. Now he averages 30 economy 3.1 and dropping, also swings the ball both ways at a decent rate. But still overrated pour moi, a very good bowler but that's it

18. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Sir John no offence but that article's populist trash. Though Zaheer is quite good too.

19. Saurav

Saurav Talented

Sep 29, 2012
  20. Saurav

Saurav Talented

Sep 29, 2012
    on topic,Steyn is much ahead of Anderson

21. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Steyn is the best fast bowler in the world right now. The rest are fighting for a distant 2nd place.

22. TM Riddle

TM Riddle Smooth Operator

Feb 2, 2013
    Steyn >>>>>>>> Anderson..akram has gone nuts

23. Raf Pragmatic

Raf Pragmatic Banned

Jan 7, 2013
    I think Wasim should meet with Steyn. Then he will know... :fp

24. TM Riddle

Feb 2, 2013
    He was ..

25. TM Riddle

Feb 2, 2013
    This...
    ye sab paison ki maaya hai

26. Zain

Zain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 14, 2010
    Akram needs to concentrate on his own country to be able to get to learn. His 2 week camp once a year won't do much as its required to be some more often as the bowling talents need to be able to good enough bench strengths to replace the likes of Junaid, Irfan and Gul when a rest or rehab is required.

As for Anderson he's improved very much in the last couple of years and is a good bowler swinging it both ways at 85mph with a good action but hasn't been consistent overseas on SC pitches to be labelled the worlds best. In seaming conditions he's lethal and bowls at a good line n length but on a SC dead pitch he hasn't created waves.

27. Namak_Halaal

Namak_Halaal Banned

May 12, 2012
    World best eh?

Where's Jimmy today then?

No cloud cover? Ahh that'll explain it.

28. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Today's game explains in part why I don't rate Anderson that highly. He's very good but that's it. Not many bowlers would've been persisted with so long after averaging 40 in their first 6-7 years on the international circuit, and England had to cut short the careers of solid bowlers like Hoggard and Sidebottom to get Anderson this far. To Anderson's credit he's massively improved and justified their gamble, but he still has far too many bad days at the office to be rated as highly as he is. Very good bowler, potentially superb on a given day, but that's it.

29. Bruce Wayne

May 22, 2012
    Both made their debuts around the same time and started the best years of their careers from 2008. Let's take a statistical look against the top test playing nations since then. (I didn't include the 3rd Ashes Test for Anderson as that'd be unfair on Steyn)

Anderson:

And.png

Steyn:

Ste.png

Both have also made the most of flourishing against Pakistan and Sri Lanka, Whereas just look at Steyn's average and strike rate in India. Amazing!

30. Saurav

Saurav Talented

Sep 29, 2012
    forget Steyn,I'd argue even Harris is better than Anderson whenever he's fit

31. Bruce Wayne

May 22, 2012
    Top 3 strike rates amongst fast bowlers with 300 or more wickets:

1. DALE STEYN. 41.8
    2. Waqar Younis. 43.4
    3. Malcom Marshall 46.7

The biggest difference about the two is Anderson is compared to the fast bowlwrs of the World whereas Steyn is amongst the legendary pace-men of the game.

32. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
  33. baqir

baqir Cornered Tiger

Sep 17, 2012
    I reckon James Andereson is one heck of a bowler:

Look at his beautiful bowling below: