Javed Miandad wants Babar Azam to lead Pakistan in ODIs

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Jul 18, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Pakistan former skipper and head coach Javed Miandad revealed that he would want a fresh face to take charge of things in Pakistan cricket as every team now looks forward to building their side following 2019 World Cup. Miandad was of the opinion that someone who isn't at the prime of his career should be able to lead the country after taking over from current skipper Sarfaraz Ahmed. In this regard, he indicated towards Babar Azam's name as a worthy candidate for next Pakistan ODI skipper.

Pakistan started their 2019 World Cup campaign poorly. They were trounced by West Indies by seven wickets and further lost to India (by 89 runs via DLS method), Australia (by 41 runs) before a late resurgence saw them topple South Africa, New Zealand, Afghanistan and Bangladesh to bow out of the 10-nation showpiece event at the fifth spot. While the late resurgence was praiseworthy, but skipper Sarfaraz was heavily criticised for his uninspirational leadership in the run-up to the tournament and during the tough phases for the side.

As a result, many former cricketers believe Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) may opt for a new skipper and a young one as well. Throughout the campaign, Babar ensured the runs coming from his blade and slammed 474 runs with a solitary hundred (versus New Zealand). He was not only the highest run-scorer for the side but also the eighth-highest overall.

Following his heroics, Miandad indicated his name for Sarfaraz's successor and told a daily newspaper in Pakistan, "The PCB must set their priorities straight on how to improve and must decide whether they want to go back or move forward. We need a fresh start with a new face to lead the team."

On the other hand, former pace spearhead and 1999 World Cup skipper Wasim Akram called for some stability and restricted the national side from pressing the panic button. He even hinted that he is willing to contribute more towards Pakistan cricket. He further added that the Men in Green need to follow their neighbours -- Bangladesh and India -- in order to improve their woeful fielding standards.

After the World Cup, Pakistan chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq resigned from his post. All eyes are on PCB's next meeting whether they will bring a change in a leadership role once again or continue to back Sarfaraz.

Under Sarfaraz, Pakistan's biggest win came with their maiden Champions Trophy title in 2017 in England and Wales.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...entions-who-can-succeed-sarfaraz-ahmed/455846

2. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    I fear that it will lead to tendulkar like disaster.Babar still need improvement in his batting, dont think we should put extra burden of captaincy on him.

3. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
    No he is doing well as a batsmen. He has enough responsibility. Keep him away from captaincy.

4. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Whispering Death

Oct 5, 2014
    Making him captain will be detrimental. It will affect his batting and he may have cemented his spot but I doubt that he has earned the respect of his team mates at such a level where they will listen to everything he has to say and in our dressing room that is the most important component for q captain.

5. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    This guy like every other former Pakistan player talks nonsense.

Just because a guy is batting well lets make him a captain... what nonsense. Has he any skills to lead and captain the side?

I get that a captain should be a player who deserves to be in the side but that only really leaves Babar, Imam, Harris, Shadab, Amir, Shaheen... any of those guys really got captaincy skills? Don't think I have ever seen them lead

6. saiyan0321

Oct 5, 2014
    Babar has captaincy experience in under 19 and led the team in the under 19 world cup. Haris has been groomed under malik for quite some time in sialkot stallions... They have VC experience here and there but neither has pure captaincy experience. Its absolutely shocking that we are walking towards PSL5 and yet our national team has no captaincy experience. What does that say about our domestic structure.

7. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I raised my voice on this issue multiple times - PSL captains.

In an ideal world, all franchise PSL should have Pakistani captains, however, LQ and PS have foreign players as their skippers. QG, KK, IU, MS have pakistani skippers, out of which IU and MS skippers dont help, because they're Sami and Malik. This leaves us with Sarfraz and Imad. So, in a nutshell, PSL doesn't help to groom captains.

That said, as of now, if we must have to change Sarfraz then I reckon next choice should be Imad, even thought I am not impressed with his captaincy in PSL, but atm we dont have any other choice.

8. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Absolutely embarrassing to see domestic teams being led by the likes of Malik, Sami, and Hafeez.

9. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    One word - 'Seniority Cancer' !

10. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    I agree with @Inswinger, domestic teams need to have younger guys. Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Amin, Hammad Azam, Saad Ali, Usman Salahuddin, Shan Masood, Fakhar Zaman should be captains in domestics.

Younger guys need to take over. What will you achieve by giving Akmal and Butt captaincy? Can you afford to bring Salman Butt back as captain for the national team??

11. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    You cannot groom a captain in T20s. Well that's my opinion anyways. Young lads need to captain in domestics.

12. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
    I agree. Each format of the game requires different type of captaincy. They gotta get this experience from domestic.

13. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I second you, but what irks me is lack of Pakistani skippers in PSL. We have geezers like Malik, Hafeez & Sami leading their teams, which is a shame.

14. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    In the absence of anything else, I think Haris is the best candidate.

15. saiyan0321

Oct 5, 2014
    Double agree. Is this not the most pathetic moment. We have PSL, domestic LOI, domestic FC and domestic T20 yet nobody has captaincy experience in the ten bcz in each and every one of them the parchis and old guys are captains. What good is still making misbah captain? What good is making foreign players captain? Now we are standing at a void. We did the same with sarfraz and he somehow survived and won a trophy and had a few highs yet again we are taking a risk with the hope that it will work.

16. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    More to the point, when PCB started a fresh start and made Sarfraz skipper, then why they didnt appoint his deputy is beyond me. Had they appointed vice captain along him, we wouldn't be struggling now to find next skipper. Unfortunately we're back to square one, and I will be mad if they repeat the same mistake again (not appointing vice captain).

17. saiyan0321

Oct 5, 2014
    Vice captain should always be there and should always be groomed however I lost faith in that experiment when a very fine vice captain like hafeez turned out to be a nothing captain...

Domestics are for grooming players. Here we have used domestic as a mean of accommodation.

18. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    He should be tried as a skipper, Javed knows what he is talking about, he was probably the most savvy player ever from Pakistan. Graeme Smith, anyone?

19. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Hafeez a nothing captain... not sure if I agree with that statement bro.

On contrary, in my book, grooming vice captain is a must, because once your captain is unavailable (for whatever reason) then a senior leads the team crap should end.

20. saiyan0321

Oct 5, 2014
    Not sure man. Never impressed me. As a vice captain he was better which speaks volume of his inability to jump a position.

I never said they are not important. They are but a vice captain is never a captain. He is simply the second in command and the captain's right hand man. A captain experience can only be gained through captaincy and that is where domestic is critical.

21. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes, captaincy experience one could only get by leading a side, however, there is a gulf of difference in between our domestic and Intl cricket, and thats why I emphasis on having a deputy with skipper. Of course, vice captain should be captain in domestic, along with PSL and Pakistan A team as well.