Junaid Khan vs Wahab Riaz in England: Who's more deserving for World Cup 2019?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, May 21, 2019.

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    LONDON: It was being expected that Amir and Asif would make their place in the World Cup squad, but the shocking return of Wahab Riaz has caused quite a stir.

Chief selector Inzaman-ul-Haq Monday announced final 15-man squad for the ICC World Cup. He recalled Asif Ali, Mohammad Amir and left-arm paceman, Wahab Riaz, dropping the fast bowler Junaid Khan, all-rounder Faheem Ashraf and opener Abid Ali for the mega event of cricket.

It would surely be a shocking moment for all three players to have the news of their expulsion from the final 15 even after being selected in the preliminary squad.

Junaid Khan, who had suffered the same twice in 2011, 2015, appeared to be heartbroken and could not stop himself from protesting the decision that left him and others in tears.

Thugh Junaid Khan did not achieved much in his two outings against England either, leaking runs at a high rate in both, yet he has reservations over his ouster in favour of Wahab that itself has question marks all over it.

"I don't want to say anything. Truth is bitter," he tweeted along with the photo, which he later deleted.

[​IMG]

The 33-year-old, a veteran of two World Cups in 2011 and 2015, played the last of 79 ODIs against India in the ICC Champions Trophy in Birmingham on June 4, 2017. He was smashed for 87 runs from just 8.4 overs as India thrashed Pakistan by 124 runs. Though Pakistan went on to win the title, Wahab played no further role in their Champions Trophy campaign.

Wahab Riaz has taken two wickets in his last 10 ODIs and not played an ODI in two years. In 2018, Pakistan coach Mickey Arthur had famously discarded Wahab Riaz "for not winning the team any matches in years."

Have look at Junain Khan and Wahab Riaz's ICC achievements.

[​IMG]

Some ODI numbers on Wahab v Junaid

In England:

Wahab - 4 wickets, average 96 & economy of 6.7

Junaid - 11 wickets, average 36 & economy of 5.6

Since 2015 World Cup:

Wahab 25 wickets at average of 47 & economy of 5.8

Junaid 35 wickets at average of 36 & economy of 5.7

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/4...b-riaz-whos-more-deserving-for-world-cup-2019

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Even though Junaid's numbers are better, but we have seen how impotent he was in those games against England.

3. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Whispering Death

Oct 5, 2014
    The thing is that junaid's regression is indeed a fact but I simply can't forget this about wahab riaz.

[​IMG]

If after that blunder we are still giving him chances and chances at an all important tournament then we really don't deserve to win.

Wahab weapon lies in reversing the bowl and thus he has struggled in the ODI format. Seeing how the English pitches are his good pace back of the length are going to get tonked

4. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    In modern cricket there is no room for back of length bowling, you will do and you'll be tonked. We have already seen what is about to hit us in come WC.

5. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Whispering Death

Oct 5, 2014
    Yep and frankly both are like this. Neither of them deserve the spot. Junaid has completely lost his bowling variety...

6. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Exactly, I reckon they have opted Wahab only because of his pace and due to good PSL.

I am in favor of dropping Junaid, but there is no point in dropping a liability and replace him with another.

Inzy could've selected Shinwari - somebody will say that he choke's under pressure, well then dont use him from 40th onwards.

7. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Both are average. Would have picked Shinwari over them both.

8. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Shinwari is 3rd class too. Maybe wahab is the best of a bad bunch. I think he at least brings something different.

9. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Wahab has a good World Cup record.

Averages around 21

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

10. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    We are basically arguing over who is least shit. TBH there is not much difference between them at all. Wahab has the benefit of being quite quick when he isn’t bowling wides.

11. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Add Faheem to the mix and that is pretty much where we are at right now. I was really hoping that Rauf would have been given a chance.

12. Express Pace

May 11, 2012
    He could have been chosen over Hasnain tbh.

13. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Should have selected a spinner over both

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

14. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Junaid didn’t do well v England but so didn’t Hasnain, who is a newbie.

I can understand Junaid’s frustration, basically PCB preferred Hasnain over Junaid, who is more experienced.

15. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    But on the other hand, Junaid had a leg up but didn't perform well in spite of all his experience including in England before while Hasnain is getting his very first chance after troubling Australian batsmen in UAE and has all the potential to do well and be the x factor with his express pace.

16. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    yeah would ruin a youngsters confidence by selecting him for WC then discarding him straight away.

17. Express Pace

May 11, 2012
    I understand he is disappointed, but did he seriously warrant a place? People like Willey have been left out the England side and he is actually good!

18. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Neither, i would have gone with Shinwari...
    We had been "grooming" him for the last two years, you know?
    But apparently, it was ONLY for bilateral series and NOT the WC, go figure....

Sent from my QMobile i6i using Tapatalk

19. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Wahab is more potent than Junaid Khan atm!!

20. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    You know what is actually unfair? Faheem and Abid are still allowed to stay in England as backup choices

Only Junaid is returning to Pakistan as the team doesn't even want him there as a back up

Something has seriously gone against Junaid's favour and I have a feeling it's due to non-cricketing reasons

21. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    That’s really harsh. Perhaps there is something that they aren’t telling us.

22. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    There must be a reason why Junaid tweeted that tweet. Something is going on - as he said, sach karwa hota hai and he doesn't want to expose the truth.

23. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Also the fact he was dropped ahead of Hasnain is also very un-pakistan like, we have a history of ruining youngsters by selecting them and dropping them quickly.

Both Hasnain and Junaid Bowled poorly v England, knowing how Pak cricket usually, they would have kept the ‘senior’ Junaid and dropped Hasnain.

24. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    Drop aside, it's really unfair that Faheem and Abid are allowed to stay there under the PCB's expenses whereas Junaid is the only one being sent back.

Junaid has never been in favour of the management, looks like the kinda guy that doesn't get along with many.

25. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    I think that is debatable. Although hasnain had bad moments, he showed the ability to do something different than trundle, bowl, trundle, bowl.

On TMS they were raving about him saying he looks the real deal.

It’s a bit of a no brainer. Even if their performances were equal, they’ve opted for the guy that can learn and is significantly quicker

26. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Fair enough. It’s refreshing to see Pak do this since they would normally always sacrifice the newbie.

27. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Yes very true. Tbh I was surprised they picked hasnain ahead of wahab for the Aus series - that was a pleasant surprise too.

Although I do feel they missed a trick with Rauf