1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Junaid Khan's debut better late than never

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Major, Feb 13, 2011.

Junaid Khan's debut better late than never

by Shah Rukh Khalid
Feb 13, 2011 at 7:26 PM
  1. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    junaid-khan-2011-ar.png

For the last 2 years, Junaid Khan has been one of those special players whose name has always been on our lips.

The Left-arm medium-fast bowler, from Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, had a great start to his First Class career. He picked 10 wickets with an average of 17.10 in the Quaid-E-Azam trophy. Later on he picked 21 wickets at the average of 20.42, 43 wickets at the average of 18.83. But it wasn't until he took 75 wickets at an average of 23.93 in 2009-2010 that he registered on the selectors radar.

Junaid Khan and Mohammad Amir, both started their careers playing at U19 level for Pakistan. Whilst Amir got an early call, Junaid had to wait. Everyone expected that Junaid Khan was most likely to make his debut during the England tour if not before that. The reason was that after seeing Mohammad Aamer come in to the team at such a young age, people thought maybe Junaid might get a chance too. He's believed to be as talented as Aamer but it wasn't to be.

After the 2009-2010 First Class season and being ignored by the selectors for the national selection, Junaid was selected for the Sri Lankan A tour. During that tour Junaid picked up 10 first class wickets in only 2 games, at an average of 15.00. That was the time when more fans started to know about this 21 year old.

When the Spot Fixing event took place and Aamer and Asif were dropped from the ODI tour. Fans thought that maybe Junaid might finally get his chance but again they were proved wrong.

After that Junaid Khan joined the new season of the Quid-E-Azam Trophy. He managed to pick up wickets at the average of 21, he only played a few games as he was sent with the A team to tour the West Indies. During that tour he picked only 2 wickets at the average of 47, as the games he played there were interrupted by rain.

In an interview Junaid Khan said that he expected to be selected during the South African tour or the West Indies tour but not in the World Cup.

Then came the time when the Final 15 of the World Cup was to be announced, many people didn't expect his name to be in the final 15 for the World Cup as he was not selected for the New Zealand tour, and many knew that the squad going to be the same.

Fans expected that if an injury would occur, then most likely Tanveer Ahmad would had been the replacement as he was also in the New Zealand tour but not in the World Cup Squad.

But whats sad about this is that, both Amir and Junaid started from U19 together, while Amir got to represent his country, Junaid waited, and as soon as one was ineligible to play any form of cricket for his own greedy acts, Junaid Khan became the surprise package of Pakistan's World Cup team.

So finally after 2 years, fans will get to see Junaid wear the green jersey but that's only if he gets his much deserved debut during this World Cup campaign.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2016
Shah Rukh is one of the earliest members of Cricistan and also an avid user of cricket forums. He occasionally writes articles and blogs regarding cricket. He is also a club cricketer at amateur level
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. Sixer

Sixer Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2010
      Nicely written up Sharukh, hopefully he has a game tomorrow. Could he be our replacement for Amir?

Inshallah he does well.

2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Good work Shahrukh, although I don't agree that he is a patch on Aamer. At least not till I see him in action myself. Two Aamer's in the same generation would be too much.

3. Sixer

Sixer Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2010
      I just fixed your post for you Merc, too much spelling errors lol.

4. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      Well tomarrow/today Junaid khan is likely to play, one advantage with Junaid is that 1-2 month ago he played an A tour series in Srilanka , so he probably knows a little more about the conditions in Srilanka.

The way i would use him is first lets see what results he gives us in the warm up games and then throw him in against minnows like kenya and get more good results then put him in the game against srilanka or australia. But we may not be seeing good results in the begining, he might have a bad day tommarow/today, but plz don't start writing him off, which we Pakistani fans often do.

5. Sixer

Sixer Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2010
      True and we must remember that Sub-Continent never favours fast bowlers.

Also a lot of Pak fans right people off after one match but the way you support Sohail Tanvir is unbelievable. He was decent when he arrived as his action was unique and hard to pick but now players have been accustomed to it and he is just not needed therefore the Pak selectors did a good job in dropping him because of his 'injury'.

6. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      I like how u put those qoute marks on injury.

If you are a true fan of a player, you will always have to defend that player in any cost.
      And still i can give many reasons why tanvir doesn't deserved to be dropped, but in some other thread.

7. ghulam35

ghulam35 Emerging Player

Feb 17, 2010
      Whereas I'm a fan of Junaid, and wish him all the best in the world cup.

I do feel It would have been great if we had given chance to aizaz cheema and zulfiqar babar in this world cup as both of them have bowled really well in domestic cricket for a number of years and deserved a chance to represent pakistan in the highest competition.
      Whereas Junaid could be In the next few world cups, those 2 would be retired by the next. They will be in the category of victims of PCB selection errors. Possibly could have been great bowlers but don't think we will get the chance to find out anymore.

On the plus side, youth is where pakistan talent is always prospering, Junaid is one such example of the several youngsters that could have been thrown in the squad with potential to be a star but difference among those youngsters and him is that he earned it with his domestic record and performances with pakistan A.

As long as he keeps his head down and doesn't let the pressure of being compared to aamer, fear of being dropped or expectation of spearheading the attack for years to come doesn't get to him or he learns to thrive from iallt then he will he will do great and all the best to him.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

8. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      yar PCB cant select everyone, if we wanted zulfiqar babar in the team, that would mean drop rehman or ajmal, and both of these guys dont deserved to be drop. Bring in Aziz cheema, that means either Junaid, Wahab or Akhtar should be dropped and again these guys dont deserve to be drop.

9. iHammad

iHammad Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
      Really nice article shahrukh, you've described Junaid Khan perfectly. I wish him the best of luck, and I really hope Afridi gives him a go tomorrow.

If he performs against B'desh, he will get a chance vs England in the warm up as well, and then so on, maybe in the actual group matches :)

10. mmkextreme_1

mmkextreme_1 Talented

Jan 20, 2010
      Excellent write up man, I wish him all the best! I don't expect him to fill into Aamers boots but hey you never know..he could be our surprise package in the world cup...I think Asad Ali should have been called up though....but best of luck to him! We are all behind you Inshallah! Pakistan will bring the cup home!

11. Sixer

Sixer Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2010
      A warm up game and Junaid still never got a go, Afridi is doing a Hammad Azam on him!

12. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      I'm really surprise that JK din't play today.

What is the team management upto?? If your not going to give him a chance now then when? Is afridi going to do the same thing with JK, as he did with Hammad Azam. Or is JK going to be making a debut against Australia?

I hope JK gets to play against England, cause guy needs some practise.

13. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
      hope he plays tomorow.

14. attidude.asif

attidude.asif Emerging Player

Mar 8, 2010
      just read in Pakpassion.net that Basit ali said Junaids action is questionable.....??? is that true...can some post his bowling action's video...

15. Amar

Amar Youngsta Beauty

Jun 4, 2010
      wishing him best of luck....his village is at one hour travel from ours.......people were crazy and excited on sending him to lahore from his home town

16. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
      3 wickets today, he did better then akhtar, i hope he will be playing the game against kenya.

i woul drop akhtar and bring in gul, for the game against kenya

17. Sir John

Sir John Tracer Bullet

May 25, 2010
    18. ovais

ovais Youngsta Beauty

Nov 26, 2010
      AOA everyone ... i think junaid did pretty well for his first match ... including shoaib until he is fully fit is going to be really risky .. he hasnt been doing well at all. i think junaid should be given a chance ...

19. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
      Very nicely written article. Havent seen much of his bowling so far but will like to see how he does as we always end up playing a surprise package who does very well.

A bit tough on Aizaz Cheema who has been fantastic for a number of years in domestic cricket and has a lot of experience so should have been given a chance by now.

I wouldnt put Junaid's debut as late, guys like Aamer had the backing of people like Wasim Akram whose words tend to carry alot of weight in terms of selection, whereas Junaid had to go for the more conventional route of some very good performances in domestic level. Aamer didnt have a long record before he got selected but then again he was immensely talented and showed us why he didnt need to.

20. CORNERED TIGER

CORNERED TIGER Emerging Player

Nov 2, 2010