Khurram Manzoor is not a bad Selection

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Shahzebayub, Feb 18, 2016.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Shahzebayub

Shahzebayub Smooth Operator

Feb 3, 2012
    i think selectors done a good job here,
    what do you guys think?

2. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    I have never watched the guy bat in limited overs so I am honestly clueless about his capabilities. His selection is strange though considering he has not played T20 for a while.

Looking at his T20 stats he does have two 100 in domestic and 13 50s with a S/R of 116 so that is quite good.

3. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    It's nonsensical from a logic standpoint. He didn't play in the PSL, never played in a T20I, does not even have a good record (or even play?!) domestic T20s, and now he's going to open for us in a World Cup?

Now if it works out, this has to be a true masterstroke from the selectors meaning they saw him play and saw something that would make him successful in India. In reality it might be a different reason, but I'd probably go with that.

4. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    If you look at his domestic T20 statistics he has 1800+ runs in 68 matches, with 2 tons and 13 half centuries. Looks like a decent return in fairness. I know our domestic is nothing to brag about but it seems to be a decent return for an opener after 60 odd matches

5. Raf Pragmatic

Raf Pragmatic Banned

Jan 7, 2013
    If PSL got anything good, it will help Pakistan to win world cup T20. That's just 20 overs sensible batting! can't Pakistan do that!

6. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    Strike rate?

Also why does everyone keep calling him a stroke maker? Why is that a good thing? Does that mean he can find gaps and singles? Because I'm okay with a player who can do that.

I mean if he consistently gets 20+ run starts at a SR of 120 then it might be okay. But the thing is that with Manzoor, you definitely need an explosive opener at the other end and unless Afridi plans on opening or making Umar open (which I do not agree with) I don't know how that'd end up.

Hafeez starts out slow but can make up SR quickly if he stays, which is also dangerous. I just think that at this point, at least for Asia Cup, we have to settle for a "steady" opening start and Umar coming in at 3. Really hope Afridi noted that Umar played his best innings at 3 and 4.

I'd probably have Sarfraz and Hafeez open, followed by Umar, Babar, Malik, and Afridi.

7. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    Yuck his SR is 116 in domestic, so it will be max 110 in Internationals I would think.

8. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en..._team.html?id=10437;team=2839;type=tournament

The statistics of the Karachi Blues team he was opening for in the Haier T20 Cup that Peshawar Panthers won recently. Not a bad return at all. He as also in the same team as Afridi so maybe he has noticed something in him

Getting Umar Akmal to open might not be a bad idea at all with Afridi coming in 1 down. I think that might work out well, Asia cup is for experimentation and if Afridi is going to be useful it will be during the power play overs when there is nobody to catch him on the boundary lol

9. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    I don't want Umar to open because he's our best bat and if he gets out to some early swing, the rest of our innings is probably effed.

I'd probably have Babar at 3 and Umar at 4 now that I think about it. Malik at 5.

It'll be interesting to see Afridi at the top of the order, but I think Umar would be way more useful wherever Afridi ends up playing because we still need someone to finish the innings after all.

10. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    totally agree with you! We will need to keep wkts in hand and not to lose wkts to loose strokes even in t20s! people think t20 is all about power hitting but even in t20s, u cant play reckless cricket and there has to be a method to madness!

11. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
    Didnt play Pakistans premier t20 competition.

Plays in the World Cup.

Lol only in Pakistan.

12. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Tests mein to khela tha na past mein!

13. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
    Never thought of it like that.

14. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Steyn remembers him for sure! Both him and Shan Masood!

15. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011

LOL

16. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    His selection was based on his performances on the A tour in the one day matches (not even T20's) ... just a very poor decision from the selection committee, really. No logic behind it.

17. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    you will see the logic when Pakistan lifts the trophy hopefully~

18. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Great point, let's send in our test team to the world T20, we've been winning many test matches.

19. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I saw Afridis agent defending this selection in some tweets when someone was saying this selection was influenced by Afridi. Maybe Afridi has heard/seen something the rest of us haven't. Could this be his Inzi?

20. Shahzebayub

Shahzebayub Smooth Operator

Feb 3, 2012
    true then team will play all 20 overs

21. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Selecting Manzoor is a master-stroke and will win the tournament for us in my opinion! Sarfraz will prove to be a perfect foil for him at the other end! Sarfraz will go after the bowling and Manzoor's role will be to play whole 20 overs from one end!