Leading Pakistani run scorers in test matches

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Nov 26, 2014.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 5)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  2. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Cricistani

Sep 13, 2011
    lol I am actually pretty disgusted that in 5yrs Azhar has moved ahead of Rameez and Sohail who had far more lengthy careers and are probably looked upon in higher esteem than Azhar
    either Azhar is better that he's given credit for or Rameez and Sohail are looked upon with rose tinted glasses
    what say you Shahzad.Firdous since I know you love Aamir Sohail

Mind you Sohail and Rameez were good odi players not so much in test cricket so I've pretty much answered my own question x

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  3. ElRaja

ElRaja Cricistani

Jan 12, 2013
    sohail averaged 35 opening the batting in the nineties, against 90s new ball bowlers, azhar would struggle to average 30 in the same role. azhar couldnt play a knock like sohails hundred against aus in karachi in his dreams. the excitement of striking above 40 would wake him up.

rambo and azhar are pbly similarly talented, if not for being one of imrans favourite rambo would have played a lot less cricket.

4. Energy

Energy Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Azhar Ali looks set to comfortably sit in right behind the top 4 by the time he calls it a day. If he improves his strokeplay ability as his career progresses he can go really close on the leaderboard.

5. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cricistani

May 29, 2010
    The amount of cricket that is played these days is the reason for this I rate Sohail and Rameez and all past players. Current players are not of the same standard as past players in my view!!

6. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Cricistani

Oct 5, 2014
    Its a joke that after 60 years of cricket we have produced only 6 players who got over 5000 runs and one of them took over a 100 games to get there. The way azhar and asad avgs hovers 40 i think it will take about 80 to 100 games to get there.

7. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Cricistani

Sep 13, 2011

I don't rate Sohail as a test player - mediocre at best. Also remember him being poor against spin, just as Azhar was. An average of 35 was not considered very good even in the 80's and 90's. 40 was the bench mark for a good opener
    Sohail's worth was mainly in odi cricket, more suited to his aggressive, attacking style of play. I liked his attitude though

8. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013

I may be better if we compare Azhar with his peers instead of players like Sohails or Ramiz's of the past. Azhar made his debut on July 13, 2010.

One-down batsmen (1000+ test runs) since Azhar's Debut.

dd1.jpg

All batsmen (2000+ test runs) since Azhar's debut.

DD2.jpg

9. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Cricistani

Jun 8, 2012
    Wow that's one terrific batting average by Chanderpaul since 2010.

• List
  10. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Cricistani

Jul 24, 2012
    Does a comparison with peers scoring 1000 runs tell the full story?

What about the one down batsmen who never got to 1000 runs, the ones dropped as not being fit for test cricket?

11. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013
    Those were the only 1-down batsmen available to other teams unfortunately.
    Trott's numbers are almost identical to Azhar. Not bad, don't you think?

I stayed with 1000 runs because if I had gone to let's say's 250 runs Qual, then somebody would have questioned the small (250) sample size; as you have already question 1000 sample size already in above sentence.

But since you asked, here are other 1-down batsmen with 250-1000 runs. Line indicates where Azhar would have been.

55.jpg

• List
  12. Reverse Swing

Reverse Swing Cricistani

Jul 30, 2013
    Why did Saeed Anwar only play 55 Test Matches?

13. SOPL

SOPL Cricistani

Jun 4, 2013
    Retired early and played his second Test four years after his debut (pair on debut).

14. Reverse Swing

Reverse Swing Cricistani

Jul 30, 2013
    Yet he played 250 ODIs? Unfortunate.

15. SOPL

SOPL Cricistani

Jun 4, 2013
    Shoaib Mohammed (Mudassar Nazar V.2) was still around until 1995 too, which further prolonged his Test comeback.

16. ElRaja

ElRaja Cricistani

Jan 12, 2013
    his test career proper was only 7 years (94-01). even including his one off test in '90, he still had a shorter test career than taufeeq umar, imran farhat and mohammad hafeez. :shrug

17. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013
    Saeed Anwar got a pair on his debut. He was dropped for next 16 tests.

When he was picked again, still he missed another 16 tests during starting with his 2nd test.

So he missed a total of 32 tests from debut to the last match.

18. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Asad Shafiqs 137 took him past Salman Butt on the list...razzaq in his sight

19. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Pakistan plays too less test matches in my opinion. And no matches in Pakistan is not helping either.

• List
  20. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Cricistani

Oct 5, 2014
    younis khan is only 506 runs away from overtaking javed miandad.

Real target for azhar ali and shafiq should be the saleem malik mark of 5768 runs. Man i will say it again. its shocking that in our entire history we have only produced 4 batsmen who scored more than 7000 and only 3 who scored more than 8000

21. Rhythm

Rhythm Cricistani

Nov 27, 2014
    Nothing shocking about it, look no further than the tests played.

22. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Younis Khan remains the only batsmen out of the current lot in the overall list.

23. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Younis Khan just went past Micheal Clarke in the list, not far from Alec Stewart, just 26 more to go past him in the all time list

Big jump in the Pakistan list for Hafeez, went past some big names and just behind Akram now.
    Azhar Ali on the rise too

24. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Younis needs 56 more runs to overtake King Viv

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  25. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Cricistani

Sep 5, 2010
    Azhar is so underrated it's not funny... he has "made it" as a class player.

Only the second "class" player we have produced since Younis Khan made his debut 15 years ago.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  26. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Cricistani

Sep 5, 2010
    In fact I have even gone so far as saying he is a "pak legend in the making"....

27. Fawad

Fawad Cricistani

Sep 1, 2010
    Misbah will cross Imran Khan today, 3 runs away.

28. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Cricistani

May 22, 2012
    I knew this was going to happen.

29. Fawad

Fawad Cricistani

Sep 1, 2010
    lol, jinxed him.. Oh well, he'll do it eventually.

30. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Azhar Ali will for sure finish in the top 5 Pakistani test run scorers. He needs less than 3,000 runs to cross Salim Malik who is at 5th now.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  31. Square Drive

Square Drive Cricistani

Sep 20, 2012
    Insha'Allah.

32. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Younis Khan now passes Sehwag in the all time run scorers list. Now ranked at 19. He is also closing in on Inzy and Miandad at the top of the all time pakistani run scorers in test cricket. 235 runs behind Inzy and 238 behind Miandad. It is only a matter of time before he fgets it. Can he get it in his 100th game?

Misbah just 9 away from Hanif Mohammed and breaking in to the top 10 Pakistani list. Should also overtake Majid Khan in 9th position in his next game.
    Mohammed Hafeez went past Akram with his 48 runs in the first test. Asad Shafiq closing in on Imran Farhat after his century.
    Sarfraz Ahmed breaks in to the top 50 at number 47.

33. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cricistani

May 29, 2010
    Cricket is not of the same standard as it used to be in 90s. Virat Kohli wouldnt survive 1 over from great Wasim Akram,. Azhar Ali is a very gud player but Saeed Anwar and Aamir Sohail jori was the best opening partnership of 90s and i grew up watching them and Wasim and Waqar spells. When I grew up more, Saqlain Mushtaq, Shoaib Akhtar and Shahid Afridi caught my attention!! Players of 90s era were a special breed. From current era, Mohd Asif, Mohd Irfan, Mohd Amir, Wahab Riaz and Yasir Shah among bowlers and Amla among batsmen have the flair of 90s players. Younus is offcourse the player of 90s early 00s generation and Misbah too from that generation!! Misbah should have played a lot earlier than he did! Azhar Ali has a great future ahead., copy book technique against pace, not a natural when it comes to playing spin or playing big shots but has learned to improvise, has great temperament and his 300 chase inns was really special against slanka in uae. has struggled on green wkts so far!

34. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Younis Khan may not have gone to the top of the Pakistani list in this game but in the overall list his 46 runs helped him go past Matthew Hayden in to 18th place.
    He is still 192 runs off Miandad in top spot of the Pakistani list and 189 away from Inzy in 2nd.

Misbah also had a poor game with the bat but his 29 runs in the game see him go up two places in the Pakistani list in to 9th going past Majid Khan and Hanif Mohammad.

Azhar Alis century helped him move up one place passing Ijaz Ahmed in to 15th

Hafeez scored 50 runs in total in this game helping him go past Taufeeq Umar
    Sarfraz Ahmed also climbed 2 places

35. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Younis jumped to 18th place in overall list crossing VVS Laxman. He needs just 18 more runs to be in the 15th position crossing Inzi & Javed Miandad and also become the leading run scorer for Pakistan.

36. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Would have loved to see him get to top spot today, would have been the icing on the cake. I guess we just have to wait a little longer

37. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Couple of spots jumped in the Pakistani list for Sarfraz Ahmed with his 78 in the first innings.

38. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Cricistani

Jun 10, 2011
    YK nearly there.. should overtake the great Miandad in next match.. has played 22 tests matches less than JM.

Also, averaging over 54 now. Magnificent.

39. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    YK 18 runs shy of Miandads record, today could be the day he becomes Pakistans leading run scorer in test matches.

Hafeez has just gone past Saeed Ahmed in the Pakistani list.

40. iho

iho Cricistani

Aug 7, 2010
    Congratulations Younus Khan. He is indeed our best test batsman having achieved the milestone in lot fewer games and a better average. Great achievement.