Lets discuss Mohammed Abbas

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by s_h_a_f, Oct 10, 2018.

Should Abbas play in ODI

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Our problem has ALWAYS been that we are TOO political. We let our emotions dictate our decisions.

Fawad is unlikely to be given a chance, as the selectors know very well that if/when he performs, it will be curtains for their favorites like Ahmed Shahzad and Hafeez and Shaan etc.

Sadaf was a wasted opportunity (yet another). Guys loke tanvir ahmed etc kept getting the chances but.....

Sent from knowhere

2. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    I sure hope so. Although, i am not sold on this whole "chosen one" bullshit. Never have, never will.

Let me tell you an argument that many old timers make.

Had Zaheer Abbas not gotten out the way he did, we would have certainly qualified for the final in 79, than who knows? Might have even won the damn thing.

Well, he was just one guy, there were many more. He along with Sadiq (i think) had already done their jobs. It was up to the rest, and they failed.....

So, no, putting the entire pressure of "winning you the match" on one guy is never fruitful for any sustainable amount of time.

Sent from knowhere

3. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Asif by far the superior bowler. He made the ball talk, an artist. Poetry in motion.

4. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Very true.
    And Abbas can still improve, he is not a finished article yet, you know?

Sent from knowhere

5. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Fully agree with!

6. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Yep.
    I think that if he gets a BIG match haul or even an innings haul, it will really cement his place in the team. More importantly, in his mind as well. Peace of mind is REALLY important, you know?
    Like a 7-fer. Or a 11 wicket match haul.

Sent from knowhere

7. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    You have heard it first here! This seems like repeat of Karachi 2006 where Kamran Akmal rescued Pakistan and then Asif came of age, same for Sarfraz and Abbas!!

8. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Replace Sarfaraz with Fakher in that sentence, and i agree 100%.

I knew it......Sarfaraz was just being himself for the last year or so, as in, a child.... given he STILL needs a "coming of age"...

Sent from knowhere

9. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Fakhar to hai hi Saeed Anwar 2.0! Fakhar per koi doubt nahi! Sarfraz ke game plan ke liye yeh situation ideal thi isi tarha ki crisis situation mein Sarfraz perform karta hai like his role model Moeen Khan!!

10. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Just stop

11. harsha

harsha Youngsta Beauty

Nov 17, 2013
    as long as Abbas doesn't become the clusterfuck that Asif was....it's all good.

12. harsha

harsha Youngsta Beauty

Nov 17, 2013
    Asif was an ATG who screwed up big time. Abbas still has a way to go.

13. harsha

harsha Youngsta Beauty

Nov 17, 2013
    The hits just keep on coming.

14. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    He has played with Asif in domestic, but so far it seems that he hasn't picked his bad habits.

15. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Asif was a great bowler, pure talent, Abbas is very similar. Hope he stays away from trouble.

16. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    He is better than Asif.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

17. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    No he doesnt. His List A stats arent impressive. It would be a poor move.

18. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Abbas is better.

19. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Not many people know but Mohd Asif had the highest proportion of dismissing top six batsman from opposition in the entire 150 years of test cricket even beating ancient bowlers of early 20th century who bowled on uncovered rain-beaten aka sticky-dog pitches.

This record alone puts him amonst the very best fast bowlers of any era despite having a very short career. What a loss for Pakistan.

Abbas would do well if gets close to Asif's skill set and talent.

20. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    England’s former batting all-rounder, Michael Vaughan praised Pakistan’s right-arm fast bowler Mohammad Abbas for bowling with accurate line and length.

Abbas bowled brilliantly in the first inning of the second test against Australia picking up five wickets to destroy their batting line.

Michael Vaughan through his twitter account backed Abbas for achieving so much in the short span of time for Pakistan.

“Having watched Mohammad Abbas now for over a year, I have decided he would get me out every time within about 6 balls. The type of bowler I would poop my pants about, Thought I would let you all know,’ his tweet quoted.

In reply to his tweet, England’s wicket-keeper batsman Sam Billings also sung the praises of Mohammad Abbas who picked his second five-for– the first was against England at Lords back in June.

Billing said “Did it week in week out on div 2 wickets as well, blew front pads off for fun! My shin is still bruised.”

On the other hand, Pakistan’s flamboyant all-rounder Shahid Khan Afridi also appreciated Abbas for taking two wickets late on the first day of the second Test against Australia.

“I must say Abbas did a great job with the bowl as UAE conditions probably suit to the batsmen,” said Afridi who hopes that Pakistan will win the ongoing Test series against Australia.

https://arysports.tv/afridi-vaughan-praise-mohammad-abbas/

21. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
  22. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Abbas is getting some good praising, which he deserves for sure.

23. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Since we are speed obsessed its taking time for supporters to accept that he could be as good as Asif. I was very impressed by his bowling today. He does look like getting a wicket each time he pitches right up.

24. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Mods can you please merge all three Abbas threads together.

25. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    This is like what Asif used to get, praise from top top players, Our domestics does produce players but we have to start picking players on actual ability rather than stats because belive it or not but 10 odd bowlers have a better average than him in F.C. cricket alone.

26. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    List A stats aren't everything.

It can't be a poor move if it's not tried.

27. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    hard work always pays off. You can become the worlds best even coming from the worst cricket institute in the world. Its all about hard work at the end.
    People just use poor facilities as excuses to save their faces.

28. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Mohammad Abbas' bowling average is in the company of 19th century bowlers bit.ly/2QQJ5ia #PAKvAUS

[​IMG]

29. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
  30. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    MASHALLAH this dude have found success on every single wicket he's bowled on, ROAD, GRASSY, WINDY all kinds of pitches

Can't wait to see him bowl on South African wickets.

31. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    ps: I hope he stays away from trouble or any form of controversy

32. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Me too bro, me too.

Sent from knowhere

33. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    His average will go up as he plays more cricket so comparision with bowlers with completed careers is not exactly like for like.

Vernon Philander had nearly identical bowling average (15.96) after ten test matches but went up afterwards as he played more matches, and same is bound to happen with Abbas who will soon leave the company of ancient bowlers. Even Waqar had a very low bowling average at the start of his career.

Not taking anything back from Abbas who is an awesome bowler.

34. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Indeed those numbers are excellent, but as @MNA said, its still early days in this carrier and this may not be true representation once he'll play more games.

Full credit for his hard work, I like this our low key bowler, however, as I said in other thread, I would like him to bowl in upcoming away Test series of SA and wanna see him bowl in AUS too. By then he would have played more Test almost all over the world and we should be in better shape to judge him.

That said, so far he hasn't disappointed.

On contrary, wondering which other Test class pace bowler(s) do we have? In UAE Yasir and other spinners play big role, so we can reply on Abbas only, but who will be our go-to bowler(s) latter on SA tour beside Abbas?

35. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Junaid for sure, third one could be Shaheen, to bounce them out.
    Must pick Faheem as well.
    Four fast bowlers + one spinner.

Sent from knowhere

36. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Great stats and performances for sure, average and stuff will level out over the years. If he ends his career with an average of 21-23 and strike rate under 52 then that will be a great achievement.

However, I really hope we don’t think this is a recipe for success. I don’t want us to think we roll out 78mph trundler after trundler
    just because Abbas is successful at it. You need a varied attack. Couple of sharp if not express pacers need to support him.

It’s not the 78mph that is getting him wickets, it’s not the line and length, it is the cricketing brain, the working out part that he’s got that’s getting him all these wickets - similar to Asif. That is a lot harder to find.

Onwards and upwards, but keep in mind every great medium pacer was supported by either competent to great spinners or competent to great pacers. Sometimes both.

37. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    10 wickets in the match! Great bowling.

38. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
  39. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016

I would say he certainly warrants selection in LOI's too. Doesn't hurt to give him a go.

Thoughts?

40. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    you watch his videos ?

I'm sorry to hear that.