Life bans for Yousuf & Younis | Malik, Rana banned for a year.

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Wasim, Mar 10, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    The PCB has handed out the most comprehensive set of punishments to national players in recent memory, banning a number of senior players and implementing heavy fines on others on the recommendations of an inquiry committee formed to look into Pakistan's disastrous tour to Australia. The biggest and most unexpected action is the implementation, in effect, of life bans on Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan, a wholly unexpected development. Shoaib Malik and Rana Naved-ul-Hasan have been banned for a year and the Akmal brothers and Shahid Afridi will be put on probation for six months and have been fined between Rs 2-3 million for various misdemeanours.

Yousuf and Younis, Pakistan's two seniormost current players, will not play for Pakistan again but will be eligible for county and domestic cricket.

The six-man committee completed its report last week and sent it to Ijaz Butt. The chairman held a meeting with the selection committee on Monday in which he briefed them on the contents of the inquiry committee's report. He warned the selectors - now headed by Mohsin Khan - that he had "shocking news" for them and proceeded to inform them of the details of the report.

2. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    So only when the sword is hanging on Butt, he takes revolutionary decisions and have completely been successful at diverting people's attention from his own incompetency.

I dont care about Butt. He doesn't play for Pakistan. I dont know what Rana did, but this major overhaul was needed. That'll bring them back to earth. These oldies aren't needed. Our under 19 team is good enough.

Today, the Pak fans win.

3. Taazi Khabrai

Taazi Khabrai Cricistan News Bot

Mar 9, 2010
    PCB takes action Merged with Muhammad Yousuf and Younis Khan suspended

The PCB has also slapped a ban on Rana Naveed and Shoaib Malik from taking part in any format of the game for one year.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Source: Dawn (Click Here for full story)

4. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
  5. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    What the hell..

6. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
  7. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Am not sure what is the reason behind the banning of Younis and Yousuf..

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  8. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    Serves them right. This is what you get for losing to India in the Hockey World Cup. Ban em all.

9. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Well, for a change PCB took some action. Lets see what impact does it have in the long run.

10. AsifJKhan

AsifJKhan Youngsta Beauty

Jan 21, 2010
    Well not sure about why Younis and Yousaf have been banned...

Good that malik and rana have been banned... surprised why umar akmal and kamran akmal have been only warned .... these two brothers and rana and malik shud have been banned for life .....

warning and fine on afridi is good,, it would help in teaching him a lesson and he would think before doing something stupid and shaming pakistan...

am for ban on akmal brothers...

11. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Well the mere fact that Yousuf has been a cry baby for sometime now and Younis gets his knickers in a twist at the first sign of pressure.

Agree with you on that.

12. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Guys to quote someone very near to PCB in almost every setup whom i just contacted on phone, this banning have more to do with match fixing. According to that person, ICC had provided evidence regarding the players involvement in match fixing.

13. Taazi Khabrai

Taazi Khabrai Cricistan News Bot

Mar 9, 2010
    Cricinfo: 'A good decision even if we lose T20 World Cup'

The strict action taken by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) against the top players for their dismal performance during the tour of Australia, has drawn great praise from former players

Source: Cricinfo (Click Here for full story)

14. pacman

pacman Youngsta Beauty

Jan 27, 2010
    I dont believe that, because then the ICC would have made some kind of statement. We know that they issued a statement last month where they denied any reports regarding matchfixing, so that doesn't make any sense.

15. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    When Kami and Rana were accused of match fixing it was reported by several media that they had contacted the ICC and the ICC had denied contacting the PCB reagrding match fixing AFTER 2006.

One thing I've found having spoken to lots of players and people related to Pakistan cricket is that whenever anything happens most of them start talking about match fixing.

16. Kashif

Kashif Pehlwaan

Dec 27, 2009
    What on earth is going on?

There goes our test middle order batting. Would love to read the report findings. Younis/Yousaf must have done something major to result in this lifetime ban.

I expect these bans to be removed in the future.

Afridi and the Akmals deserved a reprimand. Not sure what Rana did.

17. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    There is no smoke without fire. There is definitely something fishy going on. Butt retracted from his statement regarding match fixing but everyone who has even read about the press conference in which he pointed out two players knows that he was talking about current players. And well even if he is a complete moron, which his retraction later proved him to be, the cat was out of the bag.

Unfortunately we didn't take action after Qayum's report. Otherwise we would have been curbed the match fixing menace. That match fixing commission had given its recommendations. Majid kHan took strong steps towards eradicating this evil but he was himself told to pack and go home.

18. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    Amazing!

PCB got it reversed. Malik & Akmal should have gotten life/indefinate ban while YK 5 years and Moyo may be one year.

I think, at the end of the day .... this will and should teach players a lesson that they can not hijack Pakistan cricket. They are not bigger than the game of cricket.

If you thought 0-9 in Australia was bad, wait till the team ends its tour of England. :)

19. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Why? because Younis and Yousaf are better players then Malik and Rana? This ban serves them right. Whenever a player starts to feel that he is bigger then the team (case with both Younis and Yousaf) then that spells nothing but trouble. Recent tantrums by both these batsmen is a testament of that fact. Anyways this is Pakistan, and as we all know things are not always done the right way. I expect players to file appeals and don't be surprised if in 6 months time all these players are back in the side with decisions overturned.

20. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    And how would you substantiate your claim of YK and Moyo considering themselves bigger then the game.

21. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Their actions, take Yousaf for example when he was not selected he ran away to ICL thinking that rest will come begging after him. Same goes for Younis, look at the number of times he has threatened to resign / quit if he doesn't get things done his way.

22. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Really. So what should yousuf had done. After all his profession is cricket. Running to ICL wasn't exactly tyranny was it. Everyone does it so why single out Yousuf. Heck some even retired from international cricket to play for ICL/IPL. This was a decision of Yousuf based upon financial realities and well he was perfectly entitled to do so. It was idiotic on behalf of PCB to ban ICL Players in the first place and tow the BCCI line.

Secondly regarding Younis, he didn't threaten. He left. Why because he felt he had lost control of the team. Fair enough. This report openly shows that Younis apprehensions were quite correct. Rather then PCB supporting its captain, they went on to support the players and now only when the tide turned against the PCB, they took on the players.

Can't still see how you formed the correlation amongst the acts of the YK and Moyo and your insinuation.

23. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    And now another UTurn by the PCB. Butt says there is no life ban on YK and MOYO. Their case can be reviewed.

What a bunch of Morons.

24. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Completely retarded. I see many people feeling sorry for moyo and YK. Simply because they were better players but not using the same logic for Malik or Rana. Looking at the below recommendations I only see a proper reason given for Moyo and YK rather then Malik and Rana.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

After careful and detailed analysis of the events, the personal accounts of the team management and players and examination of record, videos and statistics, the unanimous recommendations of the Committee were as follows:

1. Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan keeping in view their infighting which resulted in bringing down the whole team, their attitude has a trickledown effect which is a bad influence for the whole team should not be part of national team in any format.

2. For the shameful act of Shahid Khan Afridi, which has brought the game and country into disrepute, he be fined Rupees Three Million. A warning be issued to him by the Chairman PCB and he be put on probation for 06 months, during which his conduct be strictly monitored.

3. Kamran Akamal be fined Rupees Three Million. A warning be issued to him by the Chairman PCB and he be put on probation for 06 months, during which his conduct be strictly monitored.

4. Umar Akmal be fined Rupees Two Million. A warning be issued to him by the Chairman PCB and he be put on probation for 06 months, during which his conduct be strictly monitored.

5. Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and Shoaib Malik be fined Rupees Two Million. They should not be part of national team in any format for a period of one year.

Recommendations of the Inquiry Committee have been accepted by PCB in totality.

The recommendations of the Committee will go a long way to arrest the continuing decline Pakistan cricket and improve the state of cricket in Pakistan. It is a landmark exercise which is an outcome of labor and hard work of the members of the Committee.

25. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
  26. pacman

pacman Youngsta Beauty

Jan 27, 2010
    I agree with you Feather. People want bans on players they dont like and lifted on those they like. I feel sorry for all 4 players. They have problems, deal with it. But lifetime bans and 1 year bans is totally unheard of. What,.... did they fix matches to punished this harsh. This is just a smoke screen to divert attention from themselves and their own shortcomings.

27. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Someone just told me Rashid Latif has said there won't be any cricket in Kharachi until the YK ban is lifted. To be quite honest....I would ban this guy if true from having anything to do with Pakistan cricket.

You can not simply threaten Pakistan cricket or its board...two wrongs don't make one right. However at this point the board needs to be sacked as well. These guys are fools...handing down such harsh bans...on what basis?

28. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Blaming PCB is the easy thing to do but remember PCB is not the one who is going to Australia and losing each and every match there its the team, these players are paid millions to represent their country. Change the set up in PCB today and if you think you will start winning matches the next day you are mistaken. Yes management in PCB is corrupt and incompetent but their incompetence will reflect on cricket structure not performances of players they have little or no control over.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  29. pacman

pacman Youngsta Beauty

Jan 27, 2010
    So if the board is corrupt and incompetent, it will have no effect on how players behave and perform. You are living an illusion.

The fact is, that the board have been able to hide behind the players, as they have been performing. Now, when the heat is on, they blame all the problems on the players and go scott free themselves.

30. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    PCB is the body which creates the environment in which things happen. PCB is responsible for this poor environment. We have a team full of captains or others wanting to be captains because in Pakistan it seems anyone can be a captain.

PCB regardless of who was in power has been spineless and have not enforced their rules upon players leaving the players to do whatever on earth they want. In most cases these are just kids who have made it big...money and fame is something new to them.

Nor are they educated enough in some cases to know what should be said or not said...PCB is responsible for make sure things happen in a proper manner.

There are leaders who rule and there are leaders who oppose...just because they are in the opposition doesn't make them any less of a leader. A person who doesn't have the respect from his team or team mates isn't the right choice period.

If Malik or anyone else can lead half of the team to perform badly and put their careers and reps on the line then that is the man least I want my team to lead. He can make the very same people play their best cricket. Not only that...it seems if everything is said about Malik is to believed then he has easily outsmarted both YK and Moyo as they couldn't take charge.

This entire mess is created by the PCB...far as we know there might not be any truth to this...wouldn't be the first time either where players are made to suffer so someone else doesn't have too..

I have seen that happen in corp culture too...the powerful always have people in hand to take the fall for them.

31. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    Why announcing the ban necessary? Why couldn't PCB shut it's mouth and not select the players?

32. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    I will be very surprised if this ban prevails after we surrender a few matches on the trot. That is a bit far fetched, I will be very surprised if this ban is not upturned once Butt is removed and a new incompetent retard takes over, this is the PPP govt after all. If a law minister can be given an IT portfolio then anything is possible.

I agree that this decision may be harsh, but once delivered it should be upheld until the steak is well done.

33. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    In long run yes it will affect the team in general as with lack of infrastructure players will not develop properly but these players who failed miserably in Australia have been playing for a while, as much as I hate Ijaz Butt, Miandad and others running PCB, you cannot expect these oldies to go and score runs, take wickets, catch the ball properly. That job is entrusted on these players who take millions to represent their nation but instead they go out and prefer to take part in siasat (bas kaptani mil gai baqi khair hai). I am sorry but you just cannot pin down every failure onto the setup, you have to own up to your failures and wrong doings.

34. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    So people can know that PCB is doing something, and stop calling for Butt's head.

4 hours after the ban, Butt has made a U-turn, saying there's no ban on the two Y's and they can be selected again.

Pakistan's only hope is new blood. If banning these losers is the only way our cricket can be given a life again, then be it.

But thats not to be, apparently. WE haven't had home games for a while, their wont be any games at home for a long time. Our cricketers in-fight, back-bite, ball-bite and shamelessly lose everything to embarrass us. If this doesn't call for a revolution, I dont know what does.

Lets just celebrate Pakistan's cricket history and then ban cricket altogether. Lets see what their player power can do without Pakistan.

35. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    This is not about ensuring players discipline. It's all about diverting the lights away from the INCOMPETENT PCB.

MY: For what he received a life ban? It's ridiculous to get a life ban for speaking little too much

YK: He has shown cracks by resigning every now and then, but what the heck the politicians did to him by calling him for inquiry based on wild media report about match fixing. Don't these B******* have anything else to do besides making inquiries about cricket affairs? People need basic stuff and they are busy in ridiculous inquiries :-(
    He should not have been banned and been included in the team (not as captain) if ready and fit.

SA: He got a punishment for his stupid act and that should have been enough.

SM: I have no clue about his role apart from what has been told in the media. Anyone who knows the lifafa journalism in Pakistan must also know to be careful. One year ban seem like a harsh punishment. The same goes for Rana.

If anything like justice should prevail then the whole PCB should have been banned for life.....wishful thinking in a country where nothing is well.

36. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    @Wasim

"Pakistan's only hope is new blood. If banning these losers is the only way our cricket can be given a life again, then be it."

I partly agree. You need young blood, but when young blood see what is happening around them on the field and off the field then they also start to make stunts by watching both players and board members. So what you need is first a professional board with a clear policy (no ad hocism) and then you will see that a vast majority of the players will get straight! The few rotten can be dealt with easily.

What the stupid board has done is they have wiped half of the team on flimsy background, and that too when they needed some good results to get out of darkness. I could have accepted that if just they had a plan B. I ams sure they don't have any plan let alone a plan B. They are only out there to make money.

37. Saqlain Doosra

Saqlain Doosra Youngsta Beauty

Jan 19, 2010
    Zeenix it looks though your sauce was full of lies. You need to find good sauces not bunch of liers. If they not lying why not make official statment.

Its time to get rid of Butt, he just creating more drama. Why did he not ban Coach saab, or wait he made head of acdemy.

38. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    First match on our visit to England -----> thrashing of a lifetime -----> everyone will ask for Younis and Yousuf ----> ban relinquished. Simple.

Malik deserves all the bans and laantain he gets, but I don't understand bans on Younis, Yousuf (or even Afridi, who has already been punished by the ICC).

39. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    The sinners (PCB) are throwing the first stones!

40. ghulam35

ghulam35 Emerging Player

Feb 17, 2010
    I agree with the bans even though i doubt they will stick though. the pcb needed to take this action, it was what they should have done a long time ago, but better late than never. Yousaf and Younis will be missed especailly in test matches but the example pcb has set is great for the rest.