Losing the 50 over club final

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Jan 18, 2010.

Losing the 50 over club final

by Abdul Habib
Jan 18, 2010 at 10:31 PM
  1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    imran-nazir-domestic.png

Irfan recently took part in the 50 over club championship final for his PNT team against Okara club. The game was reduced to 45 overs a side and PNT batted first.

PNT were being captained by Aleem Dar and also had Imran Nazir and Saleem Elahi playing. Nazir smashed 58-ish runs with 3 sixes and lots of fours. He was out by the 7th over and it was a real quickfire knock. Saleem Elahi scored around 60 runs, Aleem Dar finished on 20* and our own Irfan scored 7 off 3 balls. In a clear tribute to Afridi, Irfan hit a six off the first ball, ran a single for his second and when he came back on strike for his third delivery he got out!

The PNT team were bowled out for around 240 in 42 overs. They began their defence well with Irfan taking 2 wickets for 20 in his first 4 overs but then disaster struck. 3 balls into his 5th over Irfan felt a lot of pain in his left arm (bowling arm) and couldn't continue. Aleem Dar also took 2 wickets with his right arm offspin but Okara managed to chase down the total in 43 overs and PNT lost the final.

Irfan is totally gutted and blaming himself, he said that he was really confident and in top form. He thinks if he had been able to complete his quota then PNT would've won the game but I told him these things happen and he shouldnt blame himself.

When I asked him about the nature of the pain and injury he said that the doctors had told him that he was severely dehydrated because he's been bowling non-stop in the nets in searing heat and that he needs to properly regulate his liquid intake. Suffice to say I gave him a bit of an ear bashing about looking after himself and he took it in good humour. He said he's started to bowl again today but is taking it slowly and is hopeful that he'll be back to full strength in a few days.

We discussed the 3 offers he's got from first class teams and he said he'd spoken to Aamir Sohail about it. He said Aamir gave him the same advice that I had. Aamir told Irfan that he shouldn't worry about how big a team is or how much they will pay him but that he needs to make sure he joins a team that will play him in all their games. Aamir said that was the way to get yourself noticed by the selectors and put in the performances that will make his career.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
Habib conducts player interviews and writes articles for Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments