Mani wants Sarfaraz to give up Test captaincy

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    An important meeting between the Chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Ehsan Mani and captain Sarfaraz Ahmed has been scheduled for next week, in which some important issues will be discussed. According to sources, the current captain will be asked to resign from the leadership role of the national Test side while retaining the captaincy in the limited-overs formats.

Many questions had been raised about the captaincy and performance of Sarfaraz after the 2019 International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cup in England. The PCB, however, retained the wicketkeeper-batsman as the captain of Pakistan in the recently concluded limited-overs series against Sri Lanka.

After the Twenty20 International (T20I) series whitewash against the Islanders, speculations about Sarfaraz’s role as captain has run rampant across media outlets and social media channels across the country. The PCB, however, has refrained from resorting to drastic measures.

According to sources, Sarfaraz is expected to retain his role as captain until the scheduled T20I series against Australia in November. A final decision on the status of Sarfaraz as the Test captain is also expected to be made next week, after the meeting.

Sarfaraz will be captaining Sindh in the upcoming National T20 tournament which is scheduled to start in Faisalabad on Sunday, October 13. The squad for the tour of Australia will be announced after the first round of the tournament.

There is no obvious option for the succession of Sarfaraz as the Test captain. Prolific batsmen Babar Azam and Azhar Ali are being considered the favourites for the leadership role. However, the upcoming tour of Australia would add tremendous pressure on the incoming skipper.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/mani-wants-sarfaraz-to-give-up-test-captaincy

2. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    PCB want to move on from Sarfraz only thing is that Sarfraz knows the day he loses captaincy will be last day for him in Pakistan shirt.

3. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    That is exactly what is needed to force Sarfraz to work on his batting. I wonder if he even practices batting the way a regular batsman does. We had the opposite but similar problem in the past when Kamran Akmal was offered to play as a batsman only due to his terrible keeping but he wouldn't let go, knowing that his monopoly was going to end.

4. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    you cant blame the player for wanting to prolong his career, in fact you would expect any player to believe in himself and to believe he can turn things around, thats exactly what you would want of all your players.

the decision should never be the player's it should be the management's. thats what their job is.

5. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Keep him captain until after the tough series vs Australia.
    Why throw a new guy under the bus

6. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Please kick out Misbah and Waqar for good.

They will destroy any player you bring in.

7. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Sarfraz is a guy totally reliant on hand eye. I'm not saying that's bad it's just that you need quick reflexes. To maintain quick reflexes you need to train and we all know how much training Sarfraz does. He's never had a technique so he has nothing to fall back on.

8. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    I don't blame him for wanting to believe in himself but i wish be would back up that belief with hard work. How can you claim to be a professional in any sport and then show up to play at the top level while clearly being physically unfit. Imagine wanting to compete in a race or marathon against the best around the world and then showing up overweight and unfit. That is no different from doing the same on a cricket field. We all like to back up the guy who is working hard day in day out but just because someone wants something without the work ethic doesn't make them deserving. I say this as someone who backed Sarfraz from the start, back when Waqar didn't even want to play him.

9. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    Yes I think that’s all very fair for whatever my opinion is worth. But I’d still say that if for whatever reason, he can’t get his fitness up to a required level, then it’s the responsibility of the management to drop him - I don’t think it’s ever really all that fair to expand a player to voluntarily drop himself unless it’s time to retire possibly.