1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Miandad opposes Waqar’s appointment as Pak coach

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by indianfan, Feb 28, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. indianfan

indianfan Banned

Feb 26, 2010
    The Pakistan Cricket Board seems divided on making Waqar Younis the national team’s coach and Director General Javed Miandad has opposed the former pacer’s appointment, citing his involvement in the match-fixing scandal.

Miandad said he is surprised that the PCB had not heeded to the Justice Malik Qayyum’s report on match fixing issued 10 years ago and was giving responsibilities to those players who were fined on the basis of the report.

“Everyone knows that Justice Qayyum had recommended to the board to not give positions of responsibility to Waqar, Aaqib Javed, Wasim Akram etc in Pakistan cricket but this is what is happening,” he said.

“I don’t see the logic behind offering Waqar the coaching position because he was with the team in Australia as bowling and fielding coach and didn’t do anything notable. Plus he has not prior experience of being a full-time coach,” Miandad said. Miandad said he was also surprised at the plans to have a foreign consultant with the team.

“I have offered my services to the board to work as batting consultant and I am an employee of the board which is constantly saying it is facing financial problems so why waste money on a foreign consultant?” he asked.

The former Pakistan skipper was also not happy with the 30 probables announced for the Twenty20 World Cup and pointed out that it was useless to give chances to players like Imran Farhat or Imran Nazir.

2. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    This man needs to go away far as possible from the Pakistan team. We have already seen you coach...we have already seen your dancing on the sidelines. While I do agree why give chances to Imran Farhat and Imran Nazir...I would also include someone you want in the team and that is Faisal Iqbal.

3. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    I agree with Miandad here, Waqar is unproven as a coach and as I said earlier he comes with alot of fighting, during his stint as a captain and player there were reports of him being involved in match fixing, while that is not proven, there is no smoke without fire. Second what is proven is that there were factions within the team both he and Wasim were continuously working to undermine each other, playing for country came second.

The only thing going in Waqar's favor is his first stint as coach where he did have an effect on Rana, Sami and Gul's bowling but apart from that there is nothing much to write home about. He was with the team in Australia and we saw absolutely no improvement in Gul's bowling form which just continued to decline throughout.

4. Bouncer

Bouncer Talented

Jan 14, 2010
    If Qyum's report is what Javed is basing his argument...then where the heck was he when Mushtaq was appointed as assistant coach or Aqib was appointed as coach.

5. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    Ad hoc board, ad hoc and absurd decisions by INCOMPETENT people....All lotaism and no brains :-(

In other words the PCB is a reflection of the rest of the PAK society:-(

6. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    People need to stop talking about infighting and match fixing etc. Lets be realistic far infighting within the team is concerned it was there before and after these guys left the scene. That is huge part of the Pakistani culture in my opinion.

People learn from their past mistakes. Waqar has openly talked about the issue and I bet he has learned from it. For all their faults...they worked hard and gave their best rather then be injured all the time.

Waqar in my eyes has already shown that he can help the bowlers and that is the job of the coach to help his players improve. Most young bowlers in Pakistan would look up to him and will want to learn from him.

7. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    @Feather

This is nothing personal against Waqar. I hope he has learned from past mistakes. We should have room for forgiveness, but the seriousness of the fault must be accounted for also. Match fixing is a VERY serious allegation and should be dealt with accordingly. If you turn the blind eye then we will pay for it since other players might be attracted by the huge sums involved in this kind of dirty business.

"That is huge part of the Pakistani culture in my opinion."

There is a reason for that! If we continue to have inconsistent policies, ad hocism etc. then we will continue to have all sorts of problems. The team will off course be affected by the off the field brawls. We need to bring the game back and that means the players should concentrate about what they are good at i.e. playing cricket. Bring in a professional and competent leadership in PCB and you will see wonders in a short span of time. The leadership need to know about cricket, good administration skills, man management etc. and need not to be top class players. Not all top class players are good at man management and to lead!

8. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    If you have seen my posts you would know I am all for having a better managed Pakistan cricket board and having the right people. Just because someone has done wrong in the past doesn't mean they should be subjected to it their entire life.

If the choice is that we are going to have a Pakistani coach I would simply prefer Waqar over Miandad. People like Waqar if they really have their heart at the right place can better understand the young players. They had fame the money and everything else a young Pakistani cricketer is going to come across including infighting within the team...he is in a better position to teach the young cricketers then a coach who simply doesn't even understand us or our culture.

9. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    I am not saying we cannot forgive. What I want is a more consistent line in dealing with the players. All players should be subject to the same rules! They should know where the limits are and that can only be done with a proper management.

Btw: I have not read all your posts, but obviously we agree on the point about a proper cricket management.

10. Kashif

Kashif Pehlwaan

Dec 27, 2009
    Waqar's long term involvement with the team will be great experience for the pacemen. Miandad is worried for bhanja and probably has some old grudges with Waqar when he was ousted in 1993.

11. indianfan

indianfan Banned

Feb 26, 2010
    In 2000, former Pakistan captain Salim Malik and medium pacer Ata-ur Rehman were found guilty of match-fixing by Justice Malik Qayyum.
    They were both banned for life following a year long investigation into the allegations.

The inquiry was launched in response to charges of betting and match-fixing against several of Pakistan's top cricketers, including former captains Wasim Akram and Salim Malik, spinners Saqlain Mushtaq and Mushtaq Ahmed, and middle order batsman Ijaz Ahmed.

This is not the first time that a Pakistani cricketer has been suspected of match-fixing.

Last October, National Assembly's sports committee chief Jamshed Dast accused the Pakistan team of deliberately losing to Australia to knock old rivals India out of the Champions Trophy in South Africa. However, the committee later cleared the team of any wrongdoings.

Although Akmal has been included in the list of 30 probables for the forthcoming ICC T20 World Championship, which is scheduled to be held in the Caribbean in May, he may be axed from the final squad if he fails to clear his name.

12. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Justice Malik Qayyum himself is one of the most corrupt judges in the history of Pakistan. Famous for handling Musharraf affairs, the army chief who broke all laws of the country, and the constitution of Pakistan.

The report itself didnt make any sense as some of the players (including Waqar, Wasim, Inzy) were fined and not banned. If they were guilty they should have been banned, if they were not they shouldnt have been fined.

13. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    I don't know about grudges, but seeing as how our batting is the weak link, why not get a batsman? Waqar is fine as a bowling consultant, but I don't think our bowling is a problem.

14. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    I can understand Miandad's point of view, he doesn't Waqar has a head coach due to the lack of experience, however I'd take Waqar over Miandad anyday. Miandad shouldn't be anywhere near the national team, he brings too much politics.

15. Saqlain Doosra

Saqlain Doosra Youngsta Beauty

Jan 19, 2010
    I like Waqar as Coach and I can't wait for Pak fast bowlers back to their best under him. Cutting out no balls, more reverse swing and better fitness

16. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    i am not really all happy and excited about waqar being our HC, but will take it gladly as an upgrade on Inti, as the saying goes, "cheel ke monh se aik niwala bhi kheench loh toh bari baat hai" so anything that sounds like a +ive from PCB take it with open arms for you dont know what they might have up their sleeves to shock you.

+ i hope kaash ke ik pinjra/cage hota for all our ex-players like sarfaraz nawaz/miandad etc, where we could lock them far far away from our cricketing setup.

17. MALLHI

MALLHI Youngsta Beauty

Feb 18, 2010
    Well i am also against Waqar's appointment as HEAD Coach. Waqar has absolutely no coaching experience plus he can be a bowling coach at best but our team's main issues is BATTING and thats where we need a good batting coach plus a tactician who can make strategies from match to match and ask the captain and the team to implement it.

Waqar doesn't comes across as a very shrewd or tactically brilliant so i have little hope from him. I don't think its his fault, its the PCB who is offering wrong people the wrong jobs. Miandad is another example, what the hell is he doing while being the so called DG of PCB!!!

18. Akitasha

Akitasha Youngsta Beauty

Mar 1, 2010
    I figure it's just like throwing shit on the wall and seeing what sticks... then taking credit if it works, or blaming the coach they hired if doesn't, agreed batting and fielding is where we need the most improvement seeing how so many catches are still dropped, even the batting can turn an easy match into a challenge... and we've known this for quite sometime...

19. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    i think pakistan should have a batting coach as the head coach rather than someone like waqar who is a bowler, the pakistani tean is lacking in batting so need some strong direction from that area and with a head coach being a batsmen it will help, waqar should keep his job as a bowling coach, Wasim is also someone who could do a good job for us as a bowling coach but nowadays he seems more interested in coaching indians

20. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Miandad has a grudge against Wasim who ousted him from the captaincy and Miandad also has a grudge against Waqar who hated Wasim!

Miandad may have been a great cricketer but as a human being he doesnt come across as very likeable. He's had more than his fair chances at running Pakistan cricket and it's time he let someone else have a go without slandering them.

Has any Pak coach ever been appointed whom Miandad hasn't been against?

21. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    I seriously don't know why our fans even pay attention to his rants anymore. He's had more than a fair number of chances himself, and didn't come up with anything extraordinary. It's in our culture; aitraazat and ilzaamat.

22. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Guys like Nawaz, Miandad and Qadir like to make a noise unless they're the ones in charge and then they make the same mistakes they blame others for

23. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Welcome to the world of Coaching Pakistan Waqar. And to think he was expecting to ask Miandad to help his batsmen.