Misbah top contender for Pakistan’s head coach position (Misbah likely to get dual role: Upd - 31)

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Former Pakistan captain Misbahul Haq has emerged as the top contender for the vacant head coach position of the Men in Green.

According to sources, Misbah, who is also a member of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB)’s Cricket Committee, will replace former Head Coach Mickey Arthur after the board decided against renewing the latter’s contract.

Sources also stated that the new head coach will be appointed for a period of four years, till the 2023 International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cup, although there will be yearly evaluation to assess the performance of the coach.

Misbah, who represented Pakistan in 75 Tests, 162 ODIs and 39 T20Is, is considered capable enough to serve as the national side’s head coach by the Ehsan Mani-led administration. The former cricketer took over the reins as Pakistan captain, after the infamous spot-fixing scandal in 2010, and brought the country’s cricket out of turmoil through his astute leadership.

As part of the recruitment process, the PCB will first advertise for this role and will invite high level applications from interested candidates. If the process leads to better alternative for head coach’s spot, Misbah’s services can also be used for the batting coach’s role.

Sources further stated that former Pakistan fast-bowler Mohammad Akram is likely to take over as the bowling coach of the side. It must be noted that Akram is the current head coach of Habib Bank Limited (HBL) Pakistan Super League (PSL) franchise Peshawar Zalmi. The 44-year-old was also appointed for the same role, back in 2012 as well.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/misbah-top-contender-for-pakistans-head-coach-position

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Hmm... so Misbah will teach how to do power hitting and chase 325+ totals. And why the hell Mohammad Akram is considered again? Very, very disappointed !!!

3. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
  4. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    sounds like BS to me. Wasim Khan in his interview said clearly that they would open applications to everyone, including the last coaches, and depending on the quality of the applicants, the best of those who have applied would be picked. on that basis there are no front runners, it depends entirely on who applies. and the application process hasn't even started as far as I know.

5. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    aaaaahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahaa

@ASLI-PATHAN

6. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Mohammed Akram is not bad. He's done well for Peshawar Zalmi. Mohammed Waseem or Rashid Latif should be chief selector. Coach why not Younis Khan?

7. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    This has to be a joke.

8. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    LOL, Misbah did some of the worst analysis during the WC. He first criticized Amir for not bowling "fast" even when Amir was the top wicket taker. Then criticized Shaheen for bowling too full when he was the top wicket taker and was bowling exactly as needed. Later when Shaheen got another bag of wickets, Misbah acknowledged he was wrong.

Anyways, he was one of the worst analysts during the WC. Really hope they don't pick him and go backwards now.

9. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Emerging Player

Apr 16, 2010
    I question Misbah’s honesty and allegiance with Pakistan after he filed an application to have all his income be tax exempted.

I mean, many former cricketers have opened free hospitals and they are also involved in a lot of charity work as a huge amount of our population is going through a very tough financial squeeze - and look at this a/hole.

10. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Sorry pal but I disagree. He was with the team for many years but I remember performances was deteriorated and we all here were bagging him to leave.

11. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Mike Hesson would be brilliant if we can get him. Bangladesh and India also interested.

12. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Exactly, no more mediocre bowling coaches. If it’s a Pakistani, it has to be one of Waqar, wasim or Shoaib.

Otherwise I’d rather go for a foreign bowling coach. The foreign coaches appreciate our fast bowling legacy a lot more than the mediocre bunch of Azhar, M Akram, Aqib and co who were all mediocre themselves. The likes of David Saker and Troy Crooley embraced the Pakistani way of pace and reverse swing. These guys will just come out with politically correct line and length bakwas.

A wild card could be Mohammad Zahid

13. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Or I would even appoint Mohammad Asif. I know many dont like him, however, there is a lot young lot can learn from him.

14. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Horrible logic to say the least when recommend BIG NAME former bowling stars to become coaches.

99.99% of the times, IT DOESNT WORK!

Viv Richards, Tendulkar, Wasim have all coached - none could produce another Viv, or Tend or Wasim.

Perhaps Rahul Dravid is one of the very, very few exceptions.

And Waqar for our coach, AGAIN?

OH MY LORD !!!!
    If you were in front of me, I would’ve given your aqal, an “ikkees topon ki salami”.

15. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    It’s not about big names, it’s about mentality. M Akram and Azhar mahmood are useless as they’ve shown. Azhar just does the line and length plus endless t20 style slower balls because that’s what he was.

We want someone in their own mould. You’re only reading part of what I said. I am completely open to foreign qualified bowling coaches, but if we have to pick on if our own then why not the best bowlers? They’re all rubbish, but at least with the big names you may get some of their mentality brush off on our bowlers who have become little pussycats.

And as for Waqar - terrible head coach but was a very good bowling coach. Yes ego may not allow him to downgrade to just a bowling coach.

Bottom line I do not want Azhar, Aqib or Mo akram. And if you want them, then see what happens if you were in front of me

16. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    No Pakistani who hasn't coached abroad should be anywhere the national side as a coach. Most just spout cliches and banalities and dont posses sharp cricketing brains.

Misbah has a reasonably sharp cricketing brain but is too close to a lot of the current crop of players to be a coach just yet. If he wants a coaching gig he should be interviewed for u-19.

17. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    all these batting, fielding, fitness, fast bowling, offspin bowling, legspin bowling, how-to-hold-a-bat, how-to-run, how-to-take-toilet-break etc etc etc coaches seem pointless to me to be honest.

18. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    I was about to get impressed by your vocabulary till I read the underlined above.

19. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Hope this is true, would allow me to start watching cricket again.

One of the best brains in Pakistan cricket.

20. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    I wouldn’t mind if we lose the opportunity of getting back a fan following by one person.

You are more than welcome to continue not watching cricket.
    Let’s keep Misbah 100 miles away from the team.
    I hope he gets fired from the cricket committee ASAP!

21. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017

This major guy is biggest Misbah chamcha.

22. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Honestly if Misbah came back as coach, I would stop supporting pak completely

23. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Same here.
    Nothing personal against Misbah but as a cricketer he has a completely defeatist mentality. Always on the back-foot, does not understand the concept of taking calculated risks in order to fry the bigger fish. And on top of that, he thinks he knows it all. Can't stand any criticism or able to bravely accept his mistakes even if he is 100% wrong.
    What a coward of a player.

24. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Misbah is the best choice for Pakistan coaching in my opinion. Waise bhi imo limited overs cricket khatam kar deni chahye we should only play test cricket. Limited overs cricket is not important in my opinion. Misbah would atleast make us No. 1 in test cricket which is the most important format of all!!

25. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
  26. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    I just hope he doesn't pressurise players into playing a specific brand of cricket. He's decent otherwise. Sometimes a little too much rational. Everyone has to take a risk or two to be successful but Misbah has none of that also he has no eye for talent and has a tendency to give his faves a go. We are already seeing two favourites come out from nowhere and back in contention. Rahat, Iftikhar and Asif. Ifti and Asif are not even test players. We have 8 players better then them.

27. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Apparently he will become both selector and head coach.

Giving the wrong person so much power.
    :(

Poor choice for both positions he does not fit. He should stay in cricket comitee. Bring in likes of Younis Khan , Mohammed Waseem, Rashid Latif. No Misbah.

28. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

29. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    This cannot be real

30. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    What so special about him?

31. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Misbah likely to get dual role of chief selector and head coach

LAHORE: Pakistan’s most successful captain Misbah-ul-Haq has been tipped to play a dual role as chief selector-cum-head coach under the new model being introduced by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), well informed sources told Dawn on Thursday.

In this regard a development was also seen on Thursday when the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) appointed Misbah as the camp-commandant for the pre-season training camp being held at the NCA in Lahore from Aug 22 to Sept 7.

It is learnt that Misbah himself selected the players for the training camp and now he will also coach them so it may also be a test for him to prove his credentials for the dual role that he is likely to be assigned now.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1499743

32. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    @Major - its happening ...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  33. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
  34. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    and you guys thought getting rid of Arthur and Inzi was good for Pak cricket XD

35. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    My goodness!
    Whenever we firmly believe that we have hit the absolute rock bottom, we simply open a new door in the abyss.

WTF is wrong with PCB?

This Wasim Khan guy turned out to be a piece of crap for a visionary.

36. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Indeed, very disappointing.

37. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    oh man i just hope this is true, could start watching my cricket again

38. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    It wouldn’t make any difference if you start watching again - better enjoy life and don’t watch.

39. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Well Deserved Pakistan Cricket Fans!!!! all wanted to get rid of Inzi & Co. will ow realize hw bad things can turns.

If i didn't knew better I might have believed that PCB is playing a cruel joke on us.

40. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Dean Jones has applied. Let's see if PCB back him. Successful at Islamabad United. I wouldn't mind Misbah and Deano combination. Mike Hesson and Tom Moody are also on the table. Mike Hesson is too good for us and I feel Tom Moody is more of a league coach.