Misbah ul Haq wins the ICC 2016 Spirit of Cricket Award

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Ahson8, Dec 22, 2016.

Misbah ul Haq wins the ICC 2016 Spirit of Cricket Award

by Ahson Afzal
Dec 22, 2016 at 12:46 PM
  1. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Misbah-ul-Haq wins ICC Spirit of Cricket Award

image.png

Pakistan captain Misbah-ul-Haq has won the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award.

The 42-year-old was adjudged the winner for inspiring his side to play the game in its true spirit, at the same time lifting the Pakistan cricket team from number-four to number-one on the MRF Tyres ICC Test Team Rankings. Remarkably, this was achieved without playing any Test matches in his home country.

Misbah is the first Pakistan player to win the award with the previous winners being MS Dhoni (2011), Daniel Vettori (2012), Mahela Jayawardena (2013), Katherine Brunt (2014) and Brendon McCullum (2015). New Zealand also won this award in 2004, 2009 and 2010, England in 2005 and 2006, and Sri Lanka in 2007 and 2008.

Commenting on the news, Misbah said: “I feel honoured and humbled to have won the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award. To lift the Test mace earlier this year and now this in the twilight of my career, is a message for every athlete that age is not a barrier as long as the sportsperson maintains highest fitness levels and continues to perform up to international standards.

“As a team, we have focused on playing within the rich traditions of the sport with a positive mindset and approach so that we can entertain the spectators and fans, and at the same time, challenge the oppositions. I am glad that this has been noticed and recognised by the game’s governing body.”

http://bit.ly/UmpireSpiritAwards2016

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
The author is a medical student and an avid fan of Pakistan cricket.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
      If anybody deserve it it's Misbah, so congratulations to him.

After a long time we've a skipper who does his job and focus on cricket ONLY.

After countless success in UAE, things have gone in his way after Test victories against England and making Pakistan no.1 in Test Matches. Since then everybody praising him either its mainstream media or social media. And this is the biggest problem with Pakistani fans, because there is no middle ground - One day you're my hero after a series win and next day, after a lose or two you become a villain.

Nevertheless, congrats to Misbah again, though I've issues with him as captain but this is not the occasion for it.

3. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
      Inspiring misbah? Surely that's an oxymoron

4. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
      This is the occasion for it. Right now people should be questioning him about the 4 losses in a row rather than celebrating a plastic no1 ranking that only came about due to a thunderstorm and didn't even last a match!

5. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
      Bad day for the haters [emoji12]

6. Savak

Savak Emerging Player

Feb 26, 2013
      Misbah is the ideal son, son in law, full power to him. But we play this game to play hard and win, not to let the world walk over us.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

7. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
      I think he is a decent person so may b thats ICC gave it to him. Can anyone tell me on what basis was he awarded this? ha ha.

8. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
      It was basically a team award but given to captain. Team which has been in less controversy and followed the spirit of game through out the year.

Although misbah fans will point to this as a misbah award but it is basically an award for whole team.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

9. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
      If you're invited in a ceremony then instead of greeting the host do you question about their failure in the past? No...

Yes, I second your thoughts and that's why I said already that I do have issues with his style of captaincy and approach towards game but it's a discussion for another thread.

10. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
      I'm surprised the anti-Misbahtards aren't out in full force and labelling this an award received due to his pathetic, defensive and meek nature...

11. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
      Your a real tough guy.

Go hug someone bro. Smile. Dance in the rain.